Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASKETBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/)
-   -   Jared Sullinger? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/378541-jared-sullinger.html)

Celtsfan33 10-04-2012 04:44 PM

Jared Sullinger?

So I have a question...
Originally Jared Sullinger was projected 8th but dropped to 23rd due to back injury reports. Now that he is fine and has no probelms, did the Celtics get a steal in him and how good can he be?

Thanks!
:)!

ChaseSeib 10-04-2012 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Celtsfan33;3420743]So I have a question...
Originally Jared Sullinger was projected 8th but dropped to 23rd due to back injury reports. Now that he is fine and has no probelms, did the Celtics get a steal in him and how good can he be?

Thanks!
:)![/QUOTE]

For some reason, I just don't see him being a great nba player

ILikeThatCard 10-04-2012 04:47 PM

I see him being like Big Baby or best case, Carlos Boozer. Somewhere in between.

tajikey 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

I don't see him being anything other than another body on the floor. I'm a Buckeyes homer, but was more impressed with Buford and Craft than I ever was of Sullinger. Though I'd like for him to succeed, I believe he will be just as succesful as another Buckeye standout that found his way to Portland...

Celtsfan33 10-04-2012 04:55 PM

My question is, is he a steal at pick 23?

jt16 10-04-2012 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=Celtsfan33;3420816]My question is, is he a steal at pick 23?[/QUOTE]

He can't be considered a steal at the 23rd pick if they haven't played any games yet.

Only one way to answer this question, watch him play.

murrke03 10-04-2012 05:10 PM

Sullinger is the classic overhyped big man college player.

i doubt he amounts to much in the nba so i don't see him being a steal at pick 23

pac213up 10-04-2012 06:25 PM

Time will tell if he is a "steal" but the potential is there. Most guys that were All-American picks their first two years translate well to the NBA game.

Ramonster 10-04-2012 06:30 PM

He didn't only drop because he had back problems, he dropped because he's a short power forward with virtually no game outside of 5 feet. At 23 he's worth the risk hoping his game translates but I personally wouldn't put money on it. Ike Diogu, Craig Smith, etc etc are great examples of shorter post scorers that just couldn't get much done in the NBA.

ajscards101 10-04-2012 06:36 PM

There two players I think will be good from this years draft, that dropped. Sullinger and Perry Jones III. I predict both to be some of the top rookies from this years class

pac213up 10-04-2012 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=Ramonster;3421264]He didn't only drop because he had back problems, he dropped because he's a short power forward with virtually no game outside of 5 feet. At 23 he's worth the risk hoping his game translates but I personally wouldn't put money on it. Ike Diogu, Craig Smith, etc etc are great examples of shorter post scorers that just couldn't get much done in the NBA.[/QUOTE]

Outside game is improving and actually not that bad to begin with. Diogu & Smith had no where close to the accomplishment Sullinger was able to achieve against top talent in the NCAA. Boozer would be a closer match. And he is not 23 years old.:)!

murrke03 10-04-2012 06:57 PM

I highly doubt sullinger will come anywhere near boozers nba career.

luke harangody had a pretty good college career too. how's his nba career going?

shaq didn't even know who he was? lol

pac213up 10-04-2012 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3421419]I highly doubt sullinger will come anywhere near boozers nba career.

luke harangody had a pretty good college career too. how's his nba career going?

shaq didn't even know who he was? lol[/QUOTE]

Luke had no where near the college career as Sullinger.

Ramonster 10-04-2012 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=pac213up;3421488]Luke had no where near the college career as Sullinger.[/QUOTE]
He arguably had a better college career. Do you watch college basketball?

Sullinger is a much better NBA prospect but saying Harangody wasn't near him as a college player is laughable.

murrke03 10-04-2012 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=pac213up;3421488]Luke had no where near the college career as Sullinger.[/QUOTE]

Big East RC team as freshman
Conference Player of year, Big East first team and second team all american as sophomore.
All American Second team Junior and Senior season.

only person in history to average 20 pts and 10 rebs in Big East conference play.

Not saying they are same but there are a lot more successful players that have failed in NBA then succeeded as you claimed...

pac213up 10-04-2012 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3421564]Big East RC team as freshman
Conference Player of year, Big East first team and second team all american as sophomore.
All American Second team Junior and Senior season.

only person in history to average 20 pts and 10 rebs in Big East conference play.

Not saying they are same but there are a lot more successful players that have failed in NBA then succeeded as you claimed...[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and take a look a the all of guys that were 1st team All-Americans Freshman & Soph year. Actually most of them have been very successful.

murrke03 10-04-2012 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=pac213up;3421591]Go ahead and take a look a the all of guys that were 1st team All-Americans Freshman & Soph year. Actually most of them have been very successful.[/QUOTE]

So your sample size is just All-Americans Fresh. & Soph year?

great :)! What an analysis!

Ramonster 10-04-2012 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=pac213up;3421591]Go ahead and take a look a the all of guys that were 1st team All-Americans Freshman & Soph year. Actually most of them have been very successful.[/QUOTE]
Nobody is downplaying Sullinger's college career here......

Sullinger has tools to be a good player, I think if you took off your green colored glasses you'd see he has some definite holes though.

murrke03 10-04-2012 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3421648]So your sample size is just All-Americans Fresh. & Soph year?

great :)! What an analysis![/QUOTE]

So in the last ten years the only person I found that was an all-american fresh & soph year was hansborough.

So I would love to know who you are talking about? besides hansborough if he counts... :rolleyes:

pac213up 10-05-2012 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3421677]So in the last ten years the only person I found that was an all-american fresh & soph year was hansborough.

So I would love to know who you are talking about? besides hansborough if he counts... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hansborough was not a 1st team All-American as a Freshman. I'll simplify if for you. How about Freshman that were 1st Team All-American.

pac213up 10-05-2012 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Ramonster;3421657]Nobody is downplaying Sullinger's college career here......

Sullinger has tools to be a good player, I think if you took off your green colored glasses you'd see he has some definite holes though.[/QUOTE]

There are definate holes. No green glasses, I'm not suggesting he is destined for greatness but think he is more likely to be a good NBA player vs another big stiff.

Dominated high school and college even when playing against the best talent. His weaknesses will likely prevent him from being a top 20 type talent but equally his strengths should allow him to have a long productive NBA career. My guess would be a floor of Glen Davis and ceiling of Boozer (playing a bit more defense).

murrke03 10-05-2012 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=pac213up;3425148]Hansborough was not a 1st team All-American as a Freshman. I'll simplify if for you. How about Freshman that were 1st Team All-American.[/QUOTE]

Why dont you go tell me then who qualifies for your parameter as 1st team all american freshman and sophomore year.

When I looked quick in past 10 years I didn't see anyone. And the closest was Hansborough at second team freshmen year then first as sophomore.

So why don't you show me differently instead of just saying its different. You made a statement so please prove it...

[QUOTE=pac213up;3421232]Time will tell if he is a "steal" but the potential is there. Most guys that were All-American picks their first two years translate well to the NBA game.[/QUOTE]

pac213up 10-05-2012 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3425318]Why dont you go tell me then who qualifies for your parameter as 1st team all american freshman and sophomore year.

When I looked quick in past 10 years I didn't see anyone. And the closest was Hansborough at second team freshmen year then first as sophomore.

So why don't you show me differently instead of just saying its different. You made a statement so please prove it...[/QUOTE]

Chris Jackson is the last guy to do it.....22 years ago. So as I suggested, simplify it to Freshman that have been 1st Team All Americans. Both show the same patterns.

Kodiak10 10-05-2012 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Celtsfan33;3420816]My question is, is he a steal at pick 23?[/QUOTE]

Yes, should've been drafted between 12-16. He will be a decent pro. All-Star, perhaps a few.

Jin 10-05-2012 02:15 PM

I saw a lot of Sullinger's draft footage and gameplay. Overall I wasn't that impressed. He's not athletic and I've heard a many stories of his poor work ethic. He seems kind of like he's bumbling around on the court at times. However he knows the game and isn't the type of player who needs a year to get in the swing of things in the NBA; he can make an impact quickly.

He reminds me a lot of Glen Davis