Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is 33 considered old?

That is the question some "T-Mac" followers find themselves asking today. A player that ended his NBA career as one of the most elite scorers of all time. The 7x NBA allstar and 2x Scoring champion decided to take his talents to China today. The question I have to ask is why couldn't a single team take a chance on a guy that would give valuable minutes for the league minimum? I understand that injuries have plagued a lot of former stars careers. I mean 33 is not that old considering Michael Jordan came back from his first retirement at 33 only to win three more championships. Although T-Mac is no Jordan I just feel like he has something left in the tank, especially looking at players like Jerry Stackhouse, Juwan Howard, Kurt Thomas, and Erick Dampier all playing in their late 30's. Tracey Lamar McGrady deserves better..

Good luck T-Mac!
Shaun941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun941 View Post
That is the question some "T-Mac" followers find themselves asking today. A player that ended his NBA career as one of the most elite scorers of all time. The 7x NBA allstar and 2x Scoring champion decided to take his talents to China today. The question I have to ask is why couldn't a single team take a chance on a guy that would give valuable minutes for the league minimum? I understand that injuries have plagued a lot of former stars careers. I mean 33 is not that old considering Michael Jordan came back from his first retirement at 33 only to win three more championships. Although T-Mac is no Jordan I just feel like he has something left in the tank, especially looking at players like Jerry Stackhouse, Juwan Howard, Kurt Thomas, and Erick Dampier all playing in their late 30's. Tracey Lamar McGrady deserves better..

Good luck T-Mac!
Is this true? I can't imagine Charlotte or someone wouldn't pick him up to mentor the new guys. I don't know anything about the situation but maybe hes going for more money in China.. or to try to win some kind of championship like Starbury.
Either way, I still like T-mac alot, even if he never did live up to his potential. Good luck to him.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Is that you Mrs. McGrady? He deserves something?

Those guys you named are better then him at this age because they can stay healthy. There is no reason to bring a 33 year old, no matter who, onto a team if he's going to play 35 games a year and be as awful as McGrady was last year.

McGrady proved last year he can't play anymore. He played 52 games, which is alot with his injury history, got his 15-20 minutes and could barely get to 5 points.

He's done. That's the bottom line. He doesn't "deserve" anything else.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

no im 97/,,,,,,,,,,,,
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Is that you Mrs. McGrady? He deserves something?

Those guys you named are better then him at this age because they can stay healthy. There is no reason to bring a 33 year old, no matter who, onto a team if he's going to play 35 games a year and be as awful as McGrady was last year.

McGrady proved last year he can't play anymore. He played 52 games, which is alot with his injury history, got his 15-20 minutes and could barely get to 5 points.

He's done. That's the bottom line. He doesn't "deserve" anything else.
All of those players averaged less than 2 points per game minus Stackhouse. I don't think you know much about basketball to make a statement that they're better. Lol but thanks for being a hater, everyone needs one.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

maybe he will follow the example set forth by players last year. play in china a full season and go for glory, and once finished there come back for the rest of the nba season and get another contract when there will be plenty of spots open on rosters due to injury.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Given that he started playing right out of high school, that's an old 33.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Good luck T-Mac!
Its all about roster spots. Why take up bench space when you can have someone who can offer more? especially being healthy
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Its all about roster spots. Why take up bench space when you can have someone who can offer more? especially being healthy
16 mpg , 5ppg for the league min seems worthy of a spot. That isn't including is basketball iq and mentor abilities.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
All of those players averaged less than 2 points per game minus Stackhouse. I don't think you know much about basketball to make a statement that they're better. Lol but thanks for being a hater, everyone needs one.
Whatever you say Mrs. McGrady. Your son had a good run. It's over. Let it go.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I will agree that some team should take a chance with him. I liked him when he was on the Pistons as he wasn't looking to score, he was looking to pass and make the best possible play to better the team. These guys are always working out, getting surgery to repair anything needed, etc to stay in tip top shape. He still has a NBA life for a few more years IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing him going back to Detroit and coming off the bench but there is no room there.
freeman2jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Whatever you say Mrs. McGrady. Your son had a good run. It's over. Let it go.

Whatever you say Mr. Pale Virgin .. Hide behind your computer tough guy
Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
16 mpg , 5ppg for the league min seems worthy of a spot. That isn't including is basketball iq and mentor abilities.
But is that what any team is looking for? is that what Mcgrady is looking for?

Here are some things that would have to be taken into factor when adding Mcgrady to your roster?

- Does he gel well with the team chemistry?
- Will Tmac mind playing a supporting role with much time on the bench?
- Are there any other players who could possibly impact the team be left out because we have added Tmac to the roster?
- Down the stretch can I count on tmac to be healthy if I were to lose many bodies due to injury?
- Do I find any value in a player like Mcgrady that I cannot get from a coach rather than a player?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's hard to let his glory days go. I feel it, I'm sure most of you do too.
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
But is that what any team is looking for? is that what Mcgrady is looking for?

Here are some things that would have to be taken into factor when adding Mcgrady to your roster?

- Does he gel well with the team chemistry?
- Will Tmac mind playing a supporting role with much time on the bench?
- Are there any other players who could possibly impact the team be left out because we have added Tmac to the roster?
- Down the stretch can I count on tmac to be healthy if I were to lose many bodies due to injury?
- Do I find any value in a player like Mcgrady that I cannot get from a coach rather than a player?
You may be confused here.. What are your expectations of someone playing 16 minutes making the league minimum? He did exactly what the Hawks needed him to do. My point is there are plenty of players filling up roster spots that make more money and produce less. He brings a fan following and insight for upcoming young players...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

depends on the person (obv) and the sport

i cant think of any player that was better in the nba at 33 than he was at 25..

LOVE TO SEE SOME EXAMPLES IF I HAVE MISSED SOMEONE (NO BENCH PLAYERS PLEASE)

in baseball a player can be in his utmost prime at 33..

afew top notch jockeys are just as good in their 40s as they were when they were 21..

in female gymnastics
21 years old is archaic!

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

What do you think Rasheed Wallace is going to do this year in NY?? Play like he did in Detroit? Be real.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Whenever I think of Tracy McGrady I think of this:

Tracy McGrady 13 Points In 35 Seconds - YouTube

I watched that game as it happened and it was very impressive. Too bad his career was cut short because of injuries. He was a great basketball player and scorer in his prime. Hope he does well in China.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You may be confused here.. What are your expectations of someone playing 16 minutes making the league minimum? He did exactly what the Hawks needed him to do. My point is there are plenty of players filling up roster spots that make more money and produce less. He brings a fan following and insight for upcoming young players...
But thats not the coaches intent. Bringing fan following means nothing. Leave that up to the marketing guys to fill seats and sell jerseys. Thats what they get paid to do. A coachs job is to fit out a team that win the most games. If the coach doesnt want him, why would the front office even make a play for him? Same reason why Shawn Kemp couldnt get resigned during his come back. Same reason why Yao Ming wont be suiting up this year.

There is no confusion here. Tmac is more of a liability for a team than an asset. Its that simple.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

To me he is worth the league minimum. It's that simple.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

I've never understood why people consider/considered T-Mac a great player. He never lead a team out of the first round of the playoffs. Sure, he could score, but that's about it.
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcwd2000 View Post
Whenever I think of Tracy McGrady I think of this:

Tracy McGrady 13 Points In 35 Seconds - YouTube

I watched that game as it happened and it was very impressive. Too bad his career was cut short because of injuries. He was a great basketball player and scorer in his prime. Hope he does well in China.
+100000000000000000 i was going to post this!
clearly the best video on the internet.
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

to me tmac did live up to his potential he had 8-10 great years injurys got to him in the last few years cant blame him for that in that 3-5 year spand he was unstoppable and to me one of the greatest scorers of all time. i mean he average 30ppg a game lebron never did that, i understand lebron dose alot more but still 30ppg is amazing.
Exquisite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

I mean, LeBron has still averaged 27 points a game in his career though...
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

not hard to google stats
LeBron James NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.com

lebron has done it twice

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote