Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default Phil Jackson: LeBron James could surpass Michael Jordan

Phil Jackson: LeBron James could surpass Michael Jordan

Phil Jackson: LeBron James could surpass Michael Jordan | The Times Herald | thetimesherald.com
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think Phil wants erik spolstra's job.. just my 2 cents though
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
I think Phil wants erik spolstra's job.. just my 2 cents though
Over Riley's dead body.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Over Riley's dead body.
I think Phil would like that too lol
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

where are all the angry jordan fans? haha

lebron has a way to go 'winning' wise but 'skill set wise' lebron is right there if not above jordan.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

It won't happen.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

He's got a long way to go before he can be considered greater than MJ
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

It is very possible.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post

lebron has a way to go 'winning' wise but 'skill set wise' lebron is right there if not above jordan.
I am sorry but anybody who thinks this could not have watched Jordan play. I have watched them both over the years and this is just not true IMO.

Photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/lors/Football%20Cards/
lionsfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Where in the interview does Phil Jackson say LBJ can surpass MJ? smh..

Yes, Lebron can play 4 positions, which is an advantage when compared to MJ. (Though not many players in our entire basketball history can play 3 position, let alone 4) LBJ got his first ring younger than MJ, yes. LBJ might even be able to score more points, win more games, etc etc...

But here is one thing LBJ will never surpass MJ as the GOAT: LBJ does NOT have the charisma, the charm or the style to be the greatest of all time. MJ won Championship rings with his will, determination and with grace, as to LBJ seems to win by pure brutal force and physical talent alone. In addition, while MJ was winning, he also won the hearts of millions around the world along the way, as to LBJ seems like he always want to prove someone wrong, which crosses many people.

Yes, though in our lifetime, LBJ just might end up with more total points scored, more total wins, more MVP or even more championship rings (though I doubt it if Erik is still the coach), he will never EVER surpass MJ as the GOAT.
tamtalizied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Lebron is not as skilled/polished as MJ at this point (especially on offense, think free throws, post moves, outside shot), but he does have physical tools that nobody else has been gifted with. I think Phil is basically alluding to this when he talks about LBJs post game, etc. He's still got time to develop his game more but we'll have to see how he progresses when the physical dominance goes away.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

There have been a handful of players with athletic abilities and skill sets that equal, if not surpass, Jordan. But none to this date have had the history of making big plays at keep moments over and over again, nor has anyone had the same singular desire to win (besides Bill Russell).

Lebron is more physically gifted than Jordan. But he has only recently been able to step up when it matters instead of shy away from big moments. He has a long, long way to go.
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan20 View Post
I am sorry but anybody who thinks this could not have watched Jordan play. I have watched them both over the years and this is just not true IMO.
are you serious.

i have also watched them both and lebron has arguably the most well rounded skill set in the history of the game and the most athletically gifted play ever.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtalizied View Post

Yes, Lebron can play 4 positions, which is an advantage when compared to MJ. (Though not many players in our entire basketball history can play 3 position, let alone 4) LBJ got his first ring younger than MJ, yes. LBJ might even be able to score more points, win more games, etc etc...

But here is one thing LBJ will never surpass MJ as the GOAT: LBJ does NOT have the charisma, the charm or the style to be the greatest of all time. MJ won Championship rings with his will, determination and with grace, as to LBJ seems to win by pure brutal force and physical talent alone. In addition, while MJ was winning, he also won the hearts of millions around the world along the way, as to LBJ seems like he always want to prove someone wrong, which crosses many people.

Yes, though in our lifetime, LBJ just might end up with more total points scored, more total wins, more MVP or even more championship rings (though I doubt it if Erik is still the coach), he will never EVER surpass MJ as the GOAT.
Umm....What?

So you are admitting LBJ could get more points, more wins, more MVP's, and maybe more titles...

Yet Jordan is the GOAT because he didn't play as physical as LBJ does? He plays with more "grace" apparently?

Makes sense.

LeBron has a long way to go - especially in titles - but if he does what you said he "could" do in your last paragraph then he'll be well past Jordan.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Umm....What?

So you are admitting LBJ could get more points, more wins, more MVP's, and maybe more titles...

Yet Jordan is the GOAT because he didn't play as physical as LBJ does? He plays with more "grace" apparently?

Makes sense.

LeBron has a long way to go - especially in titles - but if he does what you said he "could" do in your last paragraph then he'll be well past Jordan.
Yes, I am saying James can surpass Jordan in those cats, but that doesn't necessary make James the Greatest Ever if he does! Jordan was NOT the highest scoring player(Kareem), was NOT the "winningest" (Sir Charles), DIDN'T have the most rings (Bill Russell), but yet when people think about the GOAT, they think of MJ, why?

It is because he changed the game on different levels. He was the face of basketball around the world. Not only was he a winning player, he was graceful and has charisma (he was physical, yes, but he didn't win because of that alone), and possesed the drive to win!

So I guess it depends on your definition of the GOAT. To me, it not all about just scoring, rings, character, or physical talent, but rather, it is a combine package of everything!

Last edited by tamtalizied; 10-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Lebron started at an earlier age. Jordan retired (twice). Lebron will end up going on to play more seasons than jordan did by the time it's done, so yes he will probably win more awards and all that. I still dont think he will win more rings. And for all the fanboys, face it, if jordan had kept playing and not retired, he would have had rings those years too. Look up stats, lebron's numbers shrink the further along he goes in the playoffs. Jordan's get better and better with each progressive round.

Jordan is G.O.A.T. period.
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jin

I think Lebron, in terms of pure basketball talent, can reach Jordan's level, if not surpass. But there's more to basketball than physical ability, and Lebron will never ever achieve Jordan status in terms of intangibles

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
I think Lebron, in terms of pure basketball talent, can reach Jordan's level, if not surpass. But there's more to basketball than physical ability, and Lebron will never ever achieve Jordan status in terms of intangibles
^^^^^^exactly. very well worded.
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateadams2 View Post
Lebron started at an earlier age. Jordan retired (twice). Lebron will end up going on to play more seasons than jordan did by the time it's done, so yes he will probably win more awards and all that. I still dont think he will win more rings. And for all the fanboys, face it, if jordan had kept playing and not retired, he would have had rings those years too. Look up stats, lebron's numbers shrink the further along he goes in the playoffs. Jordan's get better and better with each progressive round.

Quote:
And for all the fanboys, face it, if jordan had kept playing and not retired, he would have had rings those years too
This statement is false. There is no way of knowing that if MJ kept playing he would have won more rings. He didnt win any when he first started, what makes you believe he would have won more later? He never did it with the Wizards?

Its like saying Mario Lemieux would have shattered all of Wayne Gretzkys records if he didnt battle a bad back, cancer and played full seasons. Who knows, but the facts are he didnt. Same goes for MJ. Who knows, but the fact remains, he didnt win anymore than what he has.

My take on Lebron vs MJ

Lebron > MJ physcially
MJ > Lebron skills wise

Whether skills or physical attributes lead to more success? I dont know. We'll see!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateadams2 View Post

I agree. It's a shame he retired in the prime of his career otherwise he would have had 8 NBA Championships in a row. He was so dominant
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I am saying James can surpass Jordan in those cats, but that doesn't necessary make James the Greatest Ever if he does! Jordan was NOT the highest scoring player(Kareem), was NOT the "winningest" (Sir Charles), DIDN'T have the most rings (Bill Russell), but yet when people think about the GOAT, they think of MJ, why?

It is because he changed the game on different levels. He was the face of basketball around the world. Not only was he a winning player, he was graceful and has charisma (he was physical, yes, but he didn't win because of that alone), and possesed the drive to win!

So I guess it depends on your definition of the GOAT. To me, it not all about just scoring, rings, character, or physical talent, but rather, it is a combine package of everything!
wait sir charles was the winningest?

uh....
Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
wait sir charles was the winningest?

uh....
Ahaha.. I am not sure actually.. I have been researching on that, but it was inconclusive so I went with the first one I saw, which was barkley ahahaha
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

MJ had something magical about him that just can't be put into words. It was the right time, right place and right person for all that to happen to... It turned him into a superstar. Everything aligned up for him and he ran with it.
LJ is nowhere near having things aligned for him (it is a different time and the NBA is way diff now). He is pushing himself to be great (nothing wrong with that, just stating fact) and the fans and critics can see it. MJ even if he was forcing perfection it was not noticed because he had style and made it all just seem so effortless.

He probably meant stat wise because there is no way in hell that MJ will ever be dethroned. The guy not only had stats, he had style, elegance, finesse... MJ was truly a once in a lifetime kinda player and for that he will always be remembered and immortalized as one of the greatest if not the greatest NBA player of all time.

MJ changed basketball. MJ was the face of Basketball (as mentioned above). Put aside his personal records and what MJ alone did for the game of Basketball will never again be done by another player.

LJ can be great in his own right and knock down records left and right but he will never be MJ and should never be considered better than MJ.

Last edited by KB81; 10-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.
KB81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

There's no better expert than Phil Jackson.... so if he said it, there's gotta be truth behind it! I already knew this before he said it, but it's great to hear it from a person like Phil. Lebron has many years in front of him, and this will be exciting to watch! Thank GOODNESS for NBA League Pass!!!!!

GO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

MJ was more liked than LBJ, but I don't think he was liked around the league or even necessarily on his own team. He was marketed well on a global scale, but I highly doubt if he played in the age of twitter, facebook, etc he would have been as liked as an individual. Nike kept folks from knowing he wasn't the nicest guy. Funny thing is Lebron is trying to be it seems, and it just doesn't work with most folks.
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote