Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipperfan3 View Post
I really don't care about that auction. It may be shilled. Go hang the guy if it bothers you so much. It looks shady that there are two 0 feedback bidders at the top but have you ever sold a card and had a non-paying bidder? I know I have.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks that a card sells at one price at open auction and then sells for more at fixed price must have been a shiller doesn't know anything about ebay. Cards at fixed price almost always sell for more then they do at open auction. That's just a fact. I had an ebay store for a while after another dealer I know convinced me it was the way to go. Cards that I would normally sell for $5+ shipping were being listed at $29.99 BIN/BO and sure enough quite a few cards were getting offers in the $10-$20 range. The reason being is when you have an obscure card of an obscure player you generally only have 1 person who really wants it. At open auction they have no one to fight with and can get the card at a cheap price but at fixed price you are able to focus in on that one person that really wants the card and will pay for it. So just because that Kobe sold for more at fixed price doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, if the card normally gets $1400 or whatever at open auction it will probably get more at fixed price.

In before, the I don't get it clams.
Totally wrong. Open auction gets higher prices in general and more action vs fixed listings and reserve set auctions. Be my guest and check it out. Cards on average sell for more when they are listed for open auction according to high end buyers. High end buyers tend to stay away from reserve auctions and fixed auctions with BO. Do a survey on this site and ask a few.

What you are missing about that kobe auction I just showed you was it was the same seller. He sold the card twice. The first time he sold it to a 0 feedback for $1540. Then he relisted it 2 days later (Really? 2 days later meaning somehow he knows the buyer isnt going to pay) and get $1600 for it. You dont see anything wrong there? What if I threw in one more fact that the card had been listed a while back and I lost out on it at $1777 with a high bid of $2033. I guess it didnt sell then either? Its not that the card sold for more at fixed price, its the fact that card sold and then relisted and sold again. In your books that makes 2 verfied sales? In my book that makes 1 none sale and maybe another or a 1 verified sales using a NON sale to trend the price for the 2nd one.

Did you even look at the auction, and the seller? Same seller selling 2 same cards? Do you even think thats possible? To sell the same exact card twice and find it legit?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #52 (permalink)

I did look at both auctions you presented and I said that there is probably something fishy going on but I am not going to lose sleep over it. If you are patient you can get any card you want if you willing to wait it out. If you aren't willing to wait then deal with potentially shilled auctions.

I don't sell a lot of high end cards but in the lower end part of the spectrum fixed price always performs way better then open auction. I also used an example using low-end cards. The only card that I have ever sold that performed better at open auction was in fact a high end card.

Just because the auction has red flags doesn't mean its sinister. The two 0 feedback bidders looks really bad and it probably is fishy but have you ever ran an auction for a week only for the winner to say I don't want the card? I know I have. I personally wouldn't have listed that card only two days later unless I really needed the money.
Clipperfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipperfan3 View Post
I did look at both auctions you presented and I said that there is probably something fishy going on but I am not going to lose sleep over it. If you are patient you can get any card you want if you willing to wait it out. If you aren't willing to wait then deal with potentially shilled auctions.

I don't sell a lot of high end cards but in the lower end part of the spectrum fixed price always performs way better then open auction. I also used an example using low-end cards. The only card that I have ever sold that performed better at open auction was in fact a high end card.

Just because the auction has red flags doesn't mean its sinister. The two 0 feedback bidders looks really bad and it probably is fishy but have you ever ran an auction for a week only for the winner to say I don't want the card? I know I have. I personally wouldn't have listed that card only two days later unless I really needed the money.
I dont have that problem because I set up guidelines where by any bidders with 2 NBP or more cannot bit. Anyone with a feedback less than 5 cannot bid. It makes my auctions more appealing to ensure the legit bidders that there is no fooling around. Do you know what I get? A listing ending much less than record breaking price auctions that do ironically have 0 feedback bidders and happen to be relisted 3 or 4 times.

I dont know about you, but as a child, when I touched the hot stove, I learned my lesson and never touched it again when it was hot. You would think these so called "Honest sellers" you stand up for would learn their lesson and set up the qualification for their auction. Wait..unless they dont want to for the exact idea I keep advocating. I dont know about you, but my logic seems to make pretty good sense as to whats going on.

How many times have you seen Sothebys sell a Andy Warhol painting for $25k 5 times due to having to reslist it from non paying bidders. Answer: None.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #54 (permalink)

My take is, there is obviously some quality to these 90s inserts because the price is inflated, but staying that way. I was not around for either of the UD Exquisite runs when they still had their NBA license, so I am not sure what the atmosphere was like surrounding their release. I do recognize that they were considered high end, and appear to have exponentially increased in their asking/receiving price for any given card.

I also am not sure/don't remember the price tags on the late 90s "high end" sets like E-X/Skybox Premium/etc. So I dont know if Exquisite was the one to come along and completely buck the price trend, or if there was a gradual increase in the price of a pack/box of cards prior to Exquisites entrance in to the market.

So the problem is 2-fold. The low-end stuff is of low-quality, and the high-end stuff is somewhat rare (prior to these two recent UD releases), and the price thus dictates a limited market. Regardless of your views on the given NBA license situation, I think it would be difficult to argue that the hobby is better with one sole owner of the NBA license. Maybe the sole ownership will inspire the outlying companies to create a better, more desirable product should the opportunity ever arise again for them to do so.

And maybe some of you are right, and the hobby is fine and we're just blowing smoke. And maybe this whole conversation is driven by nostalgia and the fun of riding my bike to the LCS to pick up several new packs of Fleer Ultra. I am glad to see some nice points being made, and this has definitely taken off more than I expected.
snomelcrob is offline   Reply With Quote