Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ideas for Upper Deck (outside of Exquisite)

Long story short, I won a give away from Upper Deck. While emailing one of the employees back and forth, I asked him for the product manager's contact info. I want to send him a detailed message of some ideas they could do in their products. Obviously they have their hands tied in alot, but the last two releases shows they are putting some life back into the hobby one way or another.

I dont want this to become a Anti-Panini or Anti-UD thread. I really hope this doesnt turn to a useless thread, but a proactive one I can forward on and hopefully create some change for the better.

Here are some things that I think they can do-

-Insert Buy-Backs into all future releases.

This is what actually what interested me about Retro. It wasnt the PMGs, but rather getting original inserts autographed. They could really do some great things with this.

-Continue Retro
But make sure they change up what sets they use. Would love to see various years of PMGs, Rubies, and other sought after inserts. Also change up the stock photos they use

-Insert Cut Autos and Change up the Signers
I loved how they included a Pete Maravich and Reggie Lewis Cut in Exquisite, but why not put an image on? As much as I would love to own them, they do little for me without an image. Also, cant MJ get Barkley to sign? There are plenty of people UD could get to change things up.

-Chronology Timeless Memories
This might be my favorite idea. Create a NCAA version of the Canvas set. Think of the possibilities. Most would be inexpensive signers they already get. (Feel free to add any memories you can think of)
-Any of MJs UNC Moments like his shot over Georgetown, etc
-Lebron-winning state championships, being on the cover of SI, etc
-Laettner-"The Shot"
-Gerry McNamera's Big East Tourny
-All the moments from West, Russell, Bird, Magic
-Chalmers over Memphis
-Tyus Edny
-Bobby Knight throwing a chair
-Coach Ks win record

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lower costs per box/case would be a great start IMO.

Past few releases:
Exquisite
Retro
GOTG

All ridiculously over priced!
bjtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

How about buyback autos with jersey or patch cards?
shnapper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

All very good suggestions.

Buybacks are awesome, however, due to the 'recent rise' in 90's/early 2000's inserts, it will be very difficult for them to acquire large amounts of high demand cards to use as buy back products. I would have loved for them to bought back non-auto'd Exquisite patch cards (like the jordan triple patch non autos) from previous and insert them autographed into this years Exquisite, but that would mean them having to dish out over 1k per card. And we all know UD LOVES to save money nowadays, despite their products being uber expensive and not having to dish out on a pro license... *rolls eyes*

All-in-all, CANNOT wait for Exquisite golf. Seems like a happy medium for ud since they don't have to worry about college/pro uniforms and can offer patch autos of all the best stars. Should be a huge hit, and probably one of the biggest in UD history.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I agree, some very good suggestions!!

I find myself always wondering why UD cannot produce a low end product. When I was a kid, I loved buying a pack of Topps Opening day, and getting a variety of base and inserts and the gum inside. It may seem childish, but that is what would bring kids back into the hobby. I might even buy a box just for the gum! Also a product that does not flood the market with MJ and LBJ autos, and has some variety to it at around $100 a box would be nice for the mid range collectors.

One thing that I have wondered about, is that they do not have an NBA license, but can they have Olympic Pictures? The jerseys did not have any logos. Just wondering what category this would fall under.

Lastly, the packaging has been subpar. I have seen some exquisite boxes opened and the annoying sound the box makes just makes the product seem worse, and they most likely will be thrown out. Is it that hard to spend an extra $5-10 per box and get a nice wooden box. You are buying a $600+ box, so why not present it in such a way.
RookieFan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheman1 View Post
Lower costs per box/case would be a great start IMO.

Past few releases:
Exquisite
Retro
GOTG

All ridiculously over priced!
You can't blame Upper Deck for pricing. Retro originally cost $120-150 per box during pre-sales. It was the everyone else that marked up the cost. Same is happening for Exquisite. My LCS only paid $320-350 per box.
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great analysis. I agree with all those points. Retro should, and I'm guessing will be done again. Also the Chronology would be amazing.
Cisco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I said this earlier today, I would like to see ticket stubs (actual stubs) from famous games, first official rookie game, Championship games with autographs. I think incorporating these tickets into a card with a picture, with Lebron's auto would be awesome.

Example: Game 5: 2012 NBA Championship ticket stub, with Lebron's autograph on the ticket stub. Or better yet; Lebron, Wade, & Bosh. I think something along those lines would be highly collectible. Especially if you could incorporate some of the 90s Bulls or anything related to Jordan.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would honestly like to see something simple like a regular Upper Deck product named 'Upper Deck' with a price tag under $100. They have this product in football. I wish they would come out with it in basketball.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think out of all your ideas the Timeless Memories is by far the best! That set would be Money!
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

All are good suggestions - at least for a returning newbie like me!
That "BuyBack Autographs" and "Timeless Memories" parts really got my attention - would be cool if the company really does this in the future. Of course, the price would be another factor for me.
I heard that Barkley rarely autographs anything with his face on it.... so I guess that it's the reason why he has so few certified autograph cards?
bjho1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnapper27 View Post
How about buyback autos with jersey or patch cards?
An autograph right down there on the bottom would look AMAZING.

Can they legally do that though? The card has a Bulls logo on it.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcwd2000 View Post
I would honestly like to see something simple like a regular Upper Deck product named 'Upper Deck' with a price tag under $100. They have this product in football. I wish they would come out with it in basketball.
Do you mean college basketball or basketball section as a whole?

I asked this because, if I remember correctly, back when the company had the NBA license, UD did release a regular product called "Upper Deck", separating it into 2 series. I don't know if the price per box back then was under $100 though.
Without the NBA license now, I *guess* that they don't have many photo source nowadays.

Correct me if I am wrong, or I got your meaning wrong. Again, I am pretty new, so hopefully you don't mind my mistake(s) if there is any.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshues View Post
An autograph right down there on the bottom would look AMAZING.

Can they legally do that though? The card has a Bulls logo on it.
I guess so. Just look at the 23 MJ 1/1 Buybacks from the Retro.
It's just that the company is not allowed to produce *new* NBA products.

Last edited by bjho1983; 10-16-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I think out of all your ideas the Timeless Memories is by far the best! That set would be Money!
Would really like to hear some ideas of what "memories" to use

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Perfect solution the overhead cost of them buying back memorabilia cards. What about redemptions to have YOUR insert or memorabilia card signed and hand numbered? The secondary market would go nuts on those redemptions I think.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Get a NBA license
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Some ides:

Sweet low end insert sets - like 09/10 UD with the Masterpieces and 3D stars!

Hot boxes! again, like 09/10 UD, although I never got one out of the 10 boxes I busted! haha

Retro, AGAIN - While I was a bit underwhelmed with the finish of the inserts/images, doing it again would hopefully mean they get better at it! But I would like to see it done with different 90's inserts. I missed the real peak of those products, so being able to get them with my PC player is sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
Would really like to hear some ideas of what "memories" to use
Memorial Day Miracle - Sean Elliott
Gervin's 63 points to take the scoring title in the last game of the season
MJ's Flu Game!
Reggie’s 8 points in 8.9 seconds
Magic’s All Star Game return

Not sure if any of these have been used yet?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Tell them to do whatever it takes to get their damn NBA license back...... its just wishful thinking...

Maybe put a redemption in packs for UDA items... I think they can still do this because the items were issued before they lost the license... like jersey balls sp photos... etc

Seeing how I am going to be owning a card shop soon, I want UD to make more sets that have value for the customers... not just super high end exquisite and retro... but nice new sets with new designs and no sticker autos
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff152380 View Post
Tell them to do whatever it takes to get their damn NBA license back...... its just wishful thinking...

Maybe put a redemption in packs for UDA items... I think they can still do this because the items were issued before they lost the license... like jersey balls sp photos... etc

Seeing how I am going to be owning a card shop soon, I want UD to make more sets that have value for the customers... not just super high end exquisite and retro... but nice new sets with new designs and no sticker autos
Retro was a $200/box product! It was the secondary market that pushed it way up!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jcmel323

game used towel
game used piece of shoe
game used headband lol

memories:
any great slam dunk contest of the all star game, maybe the "superman dunk"
"blowing the candle" gerald green
jcmel323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

See what Press Pass did with the collegiate license (few if any redemptions, on card autographs, equal attention to legends and rookies)
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff152380 View Post

If the company can still do this, that would be awesome!
If my memory serves, they did something similar to that for their early-year SP Authentic releases (when the company still has the NBA license) with an insert set called "Authentics", putting redemption cards into packs for both signed and unsigned memorabilia.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmel323 View Post
game used towel
game used piece of shoe
game used headband lol

memories:
any great slam dunk contest of the all star game, maybe the "superman dunk"
"blowing the candle" gerald green
How about a lock of Lebrons hair; lol. Seriously, getting part of his headband would be cool.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal875 View Post
Perfect solution the overhead cost of them buying back memorabilia cards. What about redemptions to have YOUR insert or memorabilia card signed and hand numbered? The secondary market would go nuts on those redemptions I think.
I actually really like that idea and it would sell for a ton on the secondary market!

A cool idea for true collectors would be to make those personalized, like if it was a Jordan it would be signed "To Jack, Michael Jrodan" or whatever.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote