Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASKETBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/)
-   -   JORDAN: 1997-98 E-X Jambalaya Fleer Retro 1/1 Auto Sold $29,299.69? I don't think so (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/390591-jordan-1997-98-e-x-jambalaya-fleer-retro-1-1-auto-sold-29-299-69-i-dont-think-so.html)

SportsItUpCards 10-29-2012 02:10 PM

JORDAN: 1997-98 E-X Jambalaya Fleer Retro 1/1 Auto Sold $29,299.69? I don't think so

So here's the auction that they were hyping and beckett even reported on it! :rolleyes:

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-JORDAN-1997-98-E-X-EX-Jambalaya-AUTO-1-1-Fleer-RETRO-Bulls-Exquisite-SP-/370661625271?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item564d278db7&nma=true&si=ffOV9y%2BtxmXLQCwZTm6NdRnSVlw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557]Michael Jordan 1997 98 E x EX Jambalaya Auto 1 1 Fleer Retro Bulls Exquisite SP | eBay[/url]

When I looked at the bidding activity on the above listing I just knew it was a shiller and bid retractors dream............ but others thought it was legit :rolleyes:

Well here it is AGAIN listed by the same seller smh.....

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-JORDAN-1997-98-E-X-EX-Jambalaya-AUTO-1-1-Fleer-RETRO-Bulls-Exquisite-SP-/230870327909?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3088016488610386525%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D370661625271%26]Michael Jordan 1997 98 E x EX Jambalaya Auto 1 1 Fleer Retro Bulls Exquisite SP | eBay[/url]

So will beckett now retract their BS report on this card? They already made MANY people believe the BS.... and the BS goes on....

What do you think?

When I ask, what do you think, it doesn't mean my fans coming here letting me know how great they think I am.......... I know I am great. This thread is about the card in question and the fake sale, and not for my "followers" :rolleyes:

I just love it when these things are sweap under the rug to be forgotten.... they hype it everywhere while the sale is running, get many suckers believing, and then that's it, it's never reported that the sale was bogus!! Somebody's gotta keep them honest! :)!

Sikkcaden 10-29-2012 02:24 PM

There was someone on the board that claimed they were the 2nd to highest bidder. Not sure if they were joking but they said they bid around 28k.

bjtheman1 10-29-2012 02:28 PM

I swear that card gets sold on ebay then it's back on ebay like crazy

burke23 10-29-2012 02:32 PM

Not sure what happened, but on cards like this a lot of times you get bidders who have no intention of paying - can't control that as a seller. I sold a high end durant for $4100 in May or June- 0 fb bidder who never paid - of course I relisted and probably looked like a schmuck in the process, yet I did nothing wrong.

tristan20 10-29-2012 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=burke23;3557168]Not sure what happened, but on cards like this a lot of times you get bidders who have no intention of paying - can't control that as a seller. I sold a high end durant for $4100 in May or June- 0 fb bidder who never paid - of course I relisted and probably looked like a schmuck in the process, yet I did nothing wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yup, owners of the same cards just pump them to keep the market value up. It happens to every single highend card.

Notice how some cards jump to 4k in the first few hours, then sit there for the entire week without any movement?

SportsItUpCards 10-29-2012 02:41 PM

Of course..... we already know all the stories.....

There was that legit dude on that other site who has a legit bid for $30,333.33 :rolleyes: lol We can't control these things!!! hahaha

Yeah me too, I had a legit bid on this Jordan for $27,232.32!!!! Tood bad I was outbid :rolleyes:

It gets so old it's not even funny anymore. They're destroying this hobby that I actually love, and i'm not here to pretend i'm the high and mighty thor because I paid cheap, and then didn't mind the shilling, or even participated in it! and BAM!!! my cards were worth so much, not get on your knees and tell me how great I am :rolleyes: grow up people!!! No one cares what your cards are worth, collect what YOU like. This hobby has been turned into a circus with this scum, and the people who don't mind their ego's stroked :rolleyes: lol

SportsItUpCards 10-29-2012 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=tristan20;3557191]Yup, owners of the same cards just pump them to keep the market value up. It happens to every single highend card.

Notice how some cards jump to 4k in the first few hours, then sit there for the entire week without any movement?[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!!!

Looks like and more and more people are realising this and not falling for the BS anymore..... very good.

Cisco69 10-29-2012 02:46 PM

I was the second highest bidder on the thing (my .69 calling card) I then noticed a crap load of retractions above my bid to see my hand. When the guy asked me for a second chance on eBay I gladly declined. It is so sad to see what eBay has come to, nearly 90% of all high end auctions seemed to be shilled and it is ridiculous.

tristan20 10-29-2012 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Cisco69;3557240]I was the second highest bidder on the thing (my .69 calling card) I then noticed a crap load of retractions above my bid to see my hand. When the guy asked me for a second chance on eBay I gladly declined. It is so sad to see what eBay has come to, nearly 90% of all high end auctions seemed to be shilled and it is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

So you were willing to pay US $29,199.69 for that card? But when you got a second chance offer you refused?

Doesn't make sense to me, if you were willing to drop over 29k on a card why wouldn't you accept a second chance offer? Its obvious money isnt an issue.

Unless of course you had no intention of winning it, which is why that item got so many bids in the first place. No one really wanted it.

Cisco69 10-29-2012 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=tristan20;3557267]So you were willing to pay US $29,199.69 for that card? But when you got a second chance offer you refused?

Doesn't make sense to me, if you were willing to drop over 29k on a card why wouldn't you accept a second chance offer? Its obvious money isnt an issue.

Unless of course you had no intention of winning it, which is why that item got so many bids in the first place. No one really wanted it.[/QUOTE]

For me it's the principle. Do I need the card? No, though I would have liked it and have for money for it. When someone is running up the price on purpose it is not fair and that's what was done. It's basically legalized theft if you go along with it that's why I didn't accept the second chance which I knew was coming once I saw all the action taking place to see my bid.

SportsItUpCards 10-29-2012 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Cisco69;3557310]For me it's the principle. Do I need the card? No, though I would have liked it and have for money for it. When someone is running up the price on purpose it is not fair and that's what was done. It's basically legalized theft if you go along with it that's why I didn't accept the second chance which I knew was coming once I saw all the action taking place to see my bid.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, you were the second higest bidder, or you were one of the bidders? Do you mind me asking what your bid was?

Cisco69 10-29-2012 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=SportsItUpCards;3557340]Wait a minute, you were the second higest bidder, or you were one of the bidders? Do you mind me asking what your bid was?[/QUOTE]

I bid on it several times, don't remember how many total. My highest bid was $29,199.69. I then started to notice lots of fishy stuff with bidding to see the bid (retractions, etc). I then realized what was going on and hence my response when a second chance was given to me.

gamboooler 10-29-2012 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Cisco69;3557310]For me it's the principle. Do I need the card? No, though I would have liked it and have for money for it. When someone is running up the price on purpose it is not fair and that's what was done. It's basically legalized theft if you go along with it that's why I didn't accept the second chance which I knew was coming once I saw all the action taking place to see my bid.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. I completely respect that. I've done the same thing, but on a much, much smaller scale. Got shill bid above my $550 bid, offered second chance, declined, had the guy offer to sell to me off eBay for $450, said no. He eventually sold for $400, and I ended up buying another copy for $500 from someone who isn't a shady borderline criminal. I would rather spend more on the up-and-up if it means I can spite a crook in the process.

SportsItUpCards 10-29-2012 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Cisco69;3557362]I bid on it several times, don't remember how many total. My highest bid was $29,199.69. I then started to notice lots of fishy stuff with bidding to see the bid (retractions, etc). I then realized what was going on and hence my response when a second chance was given to me.[/QUOTE]

So if your bid would have won, you were willing to pay $29,199.69, or was this just a "fun bid" :confused:

You really wanted this card at your bid price!? Just curious, do you collect Jordan?

Cisco69 10-29-2012 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=SportsItUpCards;3557437]So if your bid would have won, you were willing to pay $29,199.69, or was this just a "fun bid" :confused:

You really wanted this card at your bid price!? Just curious, do you collect Jordan?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would have paid if it was legit bidding going on which it wasn't, that's pretty much it.

Cisco69 10-29-2012 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=gamboooler;3557412]Good for you. I completely respect that. I've done the same thing, but on a much, much smaller scale. Got shill bid above my $550 bid, offered second chance, declined, had the guy offer to sell to me off eBay for $450, said no. He eventually sold for $400, and I ended up buying another copy for $500 from someone who isn't a shady borderline criminal. I would rather spend more on the up-and-up if it means I can spite a crook in the process.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same exact way bro. Some people on eBay are just insane with how they try to drive up an item and think everyone will fall for it. It definitely bit this guy in the ass for sure.

murrke03 10-29-2012 03:32 PM

Extremely sketch. I can understand turning down the second offer out of principle or whatever if money is an issue but if you are willing to pay almost 30 grand for a card to later decline a second offer of like a couple hundred less out of principle or because it now seems weird once others call it out. That is a little sketchy in my opinion.

burke23 10-29-2012 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3557482]Extremely sketch. I can understand turning down the second offer out of principle or whatever if money is an issue but if you are willing to pay almost 30 grand for a card to later decline a second offer of like a couple hundred less out of principle or because it now seems weird once others call it out. That is a little sketchy in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Why? If bids up to that amount were sketchy, perhaps $29k wouldn't have been the high bid. I am far from a conspiracy nut on high end auctions, but that doesn't mean I will touch an auction with sketchy bidding even if it is within an amount I would pay - if 'true market' is deemed to be $25k on this, I wouldn't pay $29k just because I can and would.

Orangejello727 10-29-2012 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=burke23;3557511]Why? If bids up to that amount were sketchy, perhaps $29k wouldn't have been the high bid. I am far from a conspiracy nut on high end auctions, but that doesn't mean I will touch an auction with sketchy bidding even if it is within an amount I would pay - if 'true market' is deemed to be $25k on this, I wouldn't pay $29k just because I can and would.[/QUOTE]

I seriously think much of todays bidding patterns are based on emotions. If at one point in time a bidder x was willing to pay $150 for an item and lost out, its not a hard fact that they would pay $150 if it was available again. Why? Because that inital bid of $150 ran with emotions you may no longer have.

In a previous thread, I had asked the same question. I used an example of a card I bid on. PSA 10 98 Ultra stars gold Kobe. I bid $500 or so. I got outbid. The auction ended at $1850 and was relisted right away (within 1 day). If I had bid $1900, I could have won. But what if the last few bids were not real? I would have easily over paid by $400 because "whats what I was willing to pay" not what I should have paid. Thats why I dont agree with putting in bids that cement what im willing to pay on an auction that could be shilled.

The skeptical bidding usually detracts the legit bidder from even bothering to pay a discounted price post auction due to non payment. Its like wheeling and dealing with a car salesman as he holds out and doesnt meet your demand. Then suddenly he does meet your demand after he has left a sour taste in your mouth and you have moved on. There is no way in hell Id give him my $$ thereafter.

fullmetal 10-29-2012 03:55 PM

I only accept a second chance offer if the seller removes all bids by the winning bidder. I tell them I have interest at the price I would have won had the fraudulent bidder not entered the equation. Maybe 25% of the sellers agree. For the rest they are free to relist and let me win it the traditional way.

Drdduet 10-29-2012 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Cisco69;3557476]I'm the same exact way bro. Some people on eBay are just insane with how they try to drive up an item and think everyone will fall for it. It definitely bit this guy in the ass for sure.[/QUOTE]

Second chance offers are for suckers. I personally choose to not accept regardless of the circumstances. The very nature of the second chance offer is skeptical at best.

fullmetal 10-29-2012 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Orangejello727;3557594]I seriously think much of todays bidding patterns are based on emotions. If at one point in time a bidder x was willing to pay $150 for an item and lost out, its not a hard fact that they would pay $150 if it was available again. Why? Because that inital bid of $150 ran with emotions you may no longer have.

In a previous thread, I had asked the same question. I used an example of a card I bid on. PSA 10 98 Ultra stars gold Kobe. I bid $500 or so. I got outbid. The auction ended at $1850 and was relisted right away (within 1 day). If I had bid $1900, I could have won. But what if the last few bids were not real? I would have easily over paid by $400 because "whats what I was willing to pay" not what I should have paid. Thats why I dont agree with putting in bids that cement what im willing to pay on an auction that could be shilled.

The skeptical bidding usually detracts the legit bidder from even bothering to pay a discounted price post auction due to non payment. Its like wheeling and dealing with a car salesman as he holds out and doesnt meet your demand. Then suddenly he does meet your demand after he has left a sour taste in your mouth and you have moved on. There is no way in hell Id give him my $$ thereafter.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree about the emotion.

The more people who enter an auction the higher the auction will go because you have many competing emotional individuals.

If I really want a card I want it to get near the selling price fast and with the fewest bidders possible because I know that is fewer people who may have caught the 'auction bug.'

I do believe that psychoanalysis can aid a bidder.

murrke03 10-29-2012 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=burke23;3557511]Why? If bids up to that amount were sketchy, perhaps $29k wouldn't have been the high bid. I am far from a conspiracy nut on high end auctions, but that doesn't mean I will touch an auction with sketchy bidding even if it is within an amount I would pay - if 'true market' is deemed to be $25k on this, I wouldn't pay $29k just because I can and would.[/QUOTE]

All I'm saying is that it's a little weird that one is willing to spend 29 k on a card yet not notice the shadiness going on while the auctions going to come back and then claim to not accept a offer a couple hundred more because it was sketchy.

This isn't a 100 auction going for 200 and then receiving an second chance offer at 175 or something and refusing to pay it because its almost s 100 percent markup. This is a 30 thousand dollar card in theory where really a couple hundred dollars would be the equivalent of a couple bucks in the previous example. More like a 1 percent markup.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy but it looks extremely sketchy.

tristan20 10-29-2012 04:21 PM

Anyone who bid up to 29k and didn't think it was sketchy obviously had no intention of winning it. In fact you wouldn't have been bidding it up, it makes no sense to bid up an auction you wanted to win with days left on it.

If the top bidder retracted would you have paid?

Cisco69 10-29-2012 04:30 PM

Way to many what ifs? If I thought bringing this up would have gotten this type of response I would have kept to myself. What it comes down to is the bidding that was done was not legit and no way I was going to take a second chance on it because of that. I keep to my principles and that's it. Anyone who knows me knows I have the money (not an issue) and I like to think Im one of the most stand up people in the hobby. I won't be addressing this further as everyone is entitled to an opinion, all I know is why I didn't take the second chance offer. Take it or leave it.