Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

SPauthentic I agree with your points completely. My big three gripes are these.

-Very high price points
-Very few cards that pay for more than half a box (let alone $200+ like UD, Topps had in ALL products)
-Poor, repetitive designs and bad photography. For example, in back to back products this year they used the EXACT same design for Hoops base and the Prestige "Franchise Favorites" insert set. To add to that all their cards just feel cheap in hand.
Quigley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley24 View Post

-Very high price points
-Very few cards that pay for more than half a box (let alone $200+ like UD, Topps had in ALL products)
-Poor, repetitive designs and bad photography. For example, in back to back products this year they used the EXACT same design for Hoops base and the Prestige "Franchise Favorites" insert set. To add to that all their cards just feel cheap in hand.
Wow! I feel that this Thread is not only A complain on Panini but also for the other companies that we are used to like Topps, UD, Skybox, Fleer, That they didn't renew their contract to be able to produce an NBA Product!
Since Panini is the sole license to distribute! Its either we Buy or not at all collect basketball cards that we love. I understand The complains about
the redemptions, There is something that needs to be done here. About the Quality I think its still decent and hope that it will get better! and it should get better fast before the hobby world of Basketball would lose so many Collectors!

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

You could change this thread and title it "My beef with Upper Deck" and it would be the same complaints
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Wow! I feel that this Thread is not only A complain on Panini but also for the other companies that we are used to like Topps, UD, Skybox, Fleer, That they didn't renew their contract to be able to produce an NBA Product!
Since Panini is the sole license to distribute! Its either we Buy or not at all collect basketball cards that we love. I understand The complains about
the redemptions, There is something that needs to be done here. About the Quality I think its still decent and hope that it will get better! and it should get better fast before the hobby world of Basketball would lose so many Collectors!
Exclusive licensing has never benefited a market, and 8+ years of it in the long run can definitely cause major downfalls. Before 2010, I never even considered collecting other sports. Since then I've bought several more boxes of football and baseball than basketball simply because they looked nicer and provided a better value. It's rough because I'm a die hard basketball person, and I have absolutely no incentive to collect my favorite players like Brandon Jennings.
Quigley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
You could change this thread and title it "My beef with Upper Deck" and it would be the same complaints
True be that...I've heard the same complaints about upper deck!

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #31 (permalink)

Perhaps "My beef with the hobby as a whole" would be more appropriate?
drob50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #32 (permalink)

My problem with Panini is simple:

Their card designs aren't up to the same standards as Upper Deck.

It's as simple as that.

I think Upper Deck had their fair share of issues with redemptions, checklists, etc. Panini isn't unique in that regard.

But, in my opinion, Upper Deck had so many stunning card designs such as Chronology, UD Black, Exquisite, Premier, Ultimate, etc. whereas I'm honestly struggling to think of many Panini cards that I find visually appealing.

However, on the plus side, I feel Panini are making some progress. Some recent releases have been appealing, e.g. Prizm looks good and I liked the 2011-12 Limited base cards are very nice indeed.

I just wish they'd release a stunning high-end product. I'm sick of all these poor value-for-money 'mid-end' products featuring the same players.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post

But Upper Deck didn't make every set of theirs look cheap and glossy... they actually put effort into design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
My problem with Panini is simple:

Their card designs aren't up to the same standards as Upper Deck.

It's as simple as that.

I think Upper Deck had their fair share of issues with redemptions, checklists, etc. Panini isn't unique in that regard.

But, in my opinion, Upper Deck had so many stunning card designs such as Chronology, UD Black, Exquisite, Premier, Ultimate, etc. whereas I'm honestly struggling to think of many Panini cards that I find visually appealing.

However, on the plus side, I feel Panini are making some progress. Some recent releases have been appealing, e.g. Prizm looks good and I liked the 2011-12 Limited base cards are very nice indeed.

I just wish they'd release a stunning high-end product. I'm sick of all these poor value-for-money 'mid-end' products featuring the same players.
Exactly.

My main beef with Panini is that their designs are weak and that they overprice their products horrendously. Generally when you buy a case of something, you expect to have a chance to pull something that might be worth a decent percentage of the cost of the case.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Also, MAPP....
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

The crap is way over produced and they absolutely flood the market with tons of sticker autos. When you pull a Kobe auto out of Panini it's like, oh, ok, cool I guess. Because you know they whored him out and made him sign so damn many. Now back years ago when you were very lucky to pull a Kobe auto out of an Upper Deck product you were super excited because you knew how difficult it was to pull one. I knew many case crackers back then who never even pulled one. I'm sorry, but to me Panini hurts the hobby in that regard.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
2 autographs for $100 is hearing your voice? Im just not as excited about paying $100 a box for a Panini product because it reminds me of Chrome.
lol exactly
cardsdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley24 View Post

-Very high price points
This........
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #38 (permalink)

Unless you pull a Davis-Irving-Kobe-Durant-Rose auto, it seems to me like you MIGHT get 40% worth of what you paid.. I've bought 3 boxes of hoops and got 1 decent auto (Waiters which is a redemption so I'm wondering how long that'll take to get lol) and the rest were scrubs who are barely worth $5 like Robin Lopez and Greg Stiemsma. I dunno, I am kinda new at getting big into the expensive side of the hobby but I feel like I've spent a little over $200 for basically a huge stack of commons most of which are worth next to nothing. Kinda frustrating. I understand every box isn't going to be a great box of hits but it almost seems like unless you get pretty lucky you're paying 60ish for commons and
2 $5 auto's
BLawson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Also, MAPP....
But if youz a real collector, money shouldnt matter. You shouldnt care about value because if youz a tru hobbyist, price of cards doesnt matter. I dont care about about overpaying because I got a kobe bryant auto.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote