Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kenyon Dooling's Sudden Retirement and Troubled Past

*This is serious material. Beware: The content of this thread are not in any way humorous or lighthearted. It is about sexual abuse.*

Kenyon Dooling retired from the NBA in August.

Dooling suffered a nervous breakdown over the summer, a result of repressed childhood memories of sexual abuse.

Soon, though, those early memories of the abuse he suffered — which Dooling had effectively blocked out — began to bubble up in scary ways.

As Dooling was deciding whether or not to return this season — he had an open invite, basically, from the Celtics — his behavior began to deteriorate. The week before the family moved back up north to Boston to get ready for the season, Natosha began noticing her husband acting erratically. He began having hallucinations.

“I didn’t know what it was, but I knew it wasn’t good,” she said. “Just weird stuff that he would say, or do. I was just like, ‘Hmm, what’s going on? Is he OK?’ I even called his momma at one point, but she really couldn’t give me any answers. I knew something was wrong. Actually, I just stayed on my knees. I was just praying. That’s all I know to do, just go before the Lord.”

The erratic behavior continued. While settling in his new neighborhood, Dooling was roughhousing with some of his neighbors’ kids. Someone thought he was being too rough, and called police. Soon, 10-20 officers were at Dooling’s front door. Then ordering him on the ground. Then inside his house. Then separating him from his wife and kids.

Dooling was taken away and hospitalized for evaluation. He didn’t remember voluntarily signing into the hospital. The details are hazy, in part, because he was immediately put on medication. One of the primary symptoms of PTSD is paranoia, and Dooling was surely paranoid. He didn’t want to see anybody — or anybody to see him.

Heavily medicated, but realizing he had to fight his way out of the asylum and back to his wife and kids, Dooling started to unfurl the package of trauma that had led to his emotional deterioration.

After a visit from Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge – and lots and lots of introspection — Dooling’s on the upswing. He’s had a special position created for him by the Celtics, wherein he counsels players, does some community service, and gets some TV work in Boston. Considering where he was just a few weeks ago (an asylum) and what he’s dealing with (navigating the unimaginably distressing terrain of repressed memories of abuse) where Keyon Dooling is right now is remarkable.

For more on this recovery, check out the second article:
In a dizzying decision, Lakers turn to D'Antoni to right ship | NBA.com

He just did a interview, and the following link has all three videos. It's worth a look.
Keyon Dooling shares his powerful story with Katie Couric | Red's Army - The Voice of Boston Celtics Fans

I go from one minute wondering why Kenyon Dooling isn't on the Celtics this year, to one minute looking up his name on Google to find out where he is now, to one minute later finding a lifetime of information.

-Brandon

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Last edited by brandonlec; 11-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.
brandonlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

wow very interesting, i feel bad for the guy, thats gross stuff, happy he's doing better though
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow.. he lived like 15 minutes from me.. that's kinda scary.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

where did he grow up
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
where did he grow up
Pompano... the city next to where I grew up (Coral Springs).. a buddy of mine went to high school with him.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice article, but i believe his name is Keyon, not Kenyon
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote