Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #26 (permalink)

Durant thunder or supersonics patch is greater imo then a jordan floor. Its a start.. haha can you get them to at least give you a "regular" and not "premium" durant auto too. remind them that the mj is unc and you dont like college regardless to if you do or dont... Either way like you said. you got a MJ but for the run around and wait IMO you need more for it to be fair
nanners13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastman View Post
That Durant would probably be above the $1000 mark right I would imagine. MJ is nice, but that envelope should have been a little thicker. I'm surprised you were not able to agree upon a replacement over the phone. UD customer service must be absolutely terrible.
Considering how collectable '08 LL's are, I think Durant would be $2500-$3000 if numbered /25. If I had one with a nice patch, I wouldn't sell for less than that.

Edit to add - OP, you got hosed. That is awful.
burke23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

yea a durant 08-09 ll would be woth at least 3-5x what u got..

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

So I called upperdeck and was on the phone for 20mins. They gave me the run around blah blah. Said the Jordan has a Beckett value of $800 and said the Durant was worth the same. We all know that Durant ll /25 wouldn't book at 800!! I said I must send the card back. They are suppose to give me a call tomorrow. Frustrated with this process. Thanks for the input guys, at least we are on the same page here.
Onlythefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlythefinest View Post
So I called upperdeck and was on the phone for 20mins. They gave me the run around blah blah. Said the Jordan has a Beckett value of $800 and said the Durant was worth the same. We all know that Durant ll /25 wouldn't book at 800!! I said I must send the card back. They are suppose to give me a call tomorrow. Frustrated with this process. Thanks for the input guys, at least we are on the same page here.
Do they really go by book value? And if so, whose book value says that crap MJ is $800 and on the same level as the Durant?
Anybody with eyes could look on ebay and tell you that the Durant is worth much more than the Jordan, however if they strictly go by book value you're possibly screwed.
However you'd think they'd make it up to you for not fulfilling something they should have, that would have been such an awesome and valuable card...
Customer Service? That doesn't exist with these companies. They've taken your money (for the box the redemption came from), why would they go any further... Bastards.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #31 (permalink)

You guys have to remember that back in 08/09, the jordan was only selling for $1200, so the Durant would have sold for around half that back then.

Sure, by today's standards you got screwed, but they never made the durant, so there really is NO established value for a card that doesn't exist.

Take your Jordan auto and run. And don't ever redeem another card again.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

that jordan does book for 800, there is no bv for the durant, but based on what the lebron and kobe book for, i think the durant would be around 800. now sell values are completely different, the jordan last sold for just over $350, we all know the durant would sell for more if it was made.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

not gonna lie, after seeing this I feel much less shafted than I had when I get my replacements.
mrlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

i hate this. These card companies wouldnt even be in business without people who bust packs. And then they screw the people who do. It really really frustrates me to see business practices like these. Hey lets stick it to the guy opening packs that cost $500-$1000 a piece. Its bad enough they make a person wait forever. Then they send something that they KNOW isnt worth the same amount and send that.
MrMasterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

I think you got hosed value wise. If they couldn't drum up a single card to match the KD Value, they could have given you a MJ and a Lebron, or a lower numbered jordan... Oh well.
davidsemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

That Durant would be $2,500 without even blinking an eye. That's basically where the Rose is and the two sell for pretty similar levels when healthy. Definitely raise hell and don't let them tell you what is acceptable. We're not talking about getting $40 for a $75 redemption here, it's real money.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
That Durant would be $2,500 without even blinking an eye. That's basically where the Rose is and the two sell for pretty similar levels when healthy. Definitely raise hell and don't let them tell you what is acceptable. We're not talking about getting $40 for a $75 redemption here, it's real money.
can you really base it on the value of the rose? rc year vs second year is a huge difference. recently, the durant rc year raw sold for $2650.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, as others have said Upper Deck is screwing you.

You spent real money on a box of cards, and got a fake card (redemption) in return. You redeemed the card which was promised to you and it was never made. Now, years later, they send you a replacement card that has a way lower sale price. It's very poor business on their part. Especially when you see stuff like this.

Wow, Upper Deck Redemption Replacement Mail(Might Anger Some)

No offense of course to that poster, but he sent in a card that was worth under $100 probably, and got back well over $1000 worth of cards. How does he get that from UD, and you got what you got? That's #@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@. Are you supposed to send bribes in with redemptions or something to make sure you get your moneys worth?

Sorry man, I'm pissed off and it's got nothing to do with me ha
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
You're insane. 2nd year Exq of Durants wouldn't go for anywhere near that. You can get Durant RAPs for about that price. I'm one of the bigger KD collectors around and I wouldn't pay 1250 for that card.

For my 08-09 Exq Durant Noble Nameplate, they sent me a Jordan Greats of the Game auto/10. This was prior to last season however.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #40 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ebitz

has anyone even seen an 08-09 duranr limited logos? did they not end up replacement them this is why he got a replacement
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #41 (permalink)

I read this entire thread a few times.

Initially my thoughts were: "Wow, what a shaft move! A $2000 Durant replaced with a $400 MJ!"

But then I thought about it a bit more, and as much as I hate to say it, I don't think UD did anything wrong.

As a few others have mentioned, Beckett goes by BOOK VALUE. The reason they do? ... because they need fairly CONSISTENT values.

Think about this scenario, if you had requested a replacement back a few months after release, the card was only a $500-800 card at most. UD would have given you the MJ auto and you would have been happy, now the Durant value has shot up but you didn't request a replacement until now ... when the value of the Durant is over 3x as much...

UD can't sit back and let people pick and choose when they want to redeem a card, and go based off of sell values. So say, in theory, if someone had a redemption for a Jordan PMG Blue from 11-12 Retro they pulled at release. If for some reason half were live and half were redemptions (theoretical!) and someone wanted to have it replaced, they would have gotten almost $10k in value by UD if they were going by SV. A few months later, now the SV is only $4000.

Bottom line is UD goes by BOOK VALUE, and anyone with redemptions should FULLY know this prior to buying/redeeming any cards. They've made it clear. Of course we all know not to go by BV, but UD has to in order to protect themselves from being manipulated by the market.

I feel sorry for the OP, but it was a known gamble.
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post

Initially my thoughts were: "Wow, what a shaft move! A $2000 Durant replaced with a $400 MJ!"

But then I thought about it a bit more, and as much as I hate to say it, I don't think UD did anything wrong.

As a few others have mentioned, Beckett goes by BOOK VALUE. The reason they do? ... because they need fairly CONSISTENT values.

Think about this scenario, if you had requested a replacement back a few months after release, the card was only a $500-800 card at most. UD would have given you the MJ auto and you would have been happy, now the Durant value has shot up but you didn't request a replacement until now ... when the value of the Durant is over 3x as much...

UD can't sit back and let people pick and choose when they want to redeem a card, and go based off of sell values. So say, in theory, if someone had a redemption for a Jordan PMG Blue from 11-12 Retro they pulled at release. If for some reason half were live and half were redemptions (theoretical!) and someone wanted to have it replaced, they would have gotten almost $10k in value by UD if they were going by SV. A few months later, now the SV is only $4000.

Bottom line is UD goes by BOOK VALUE, and anyone with redemptions should FULLY know this prior to buying/redeeming any cards. They've made it clear. Of course we all know not to go by BV, but UD has to in order to protect themselves from being manipulated by the market.

replacement would never and should never be necessary. Just make the damn card you were supposed to make and quit putting fake cards out there.

Blows my mind that in place of a card a company can put in a redemption which they may or may not decide to make
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

This seems logical except for one major thing.

Who's fault is it that there is a redemption in the first place. Not only that who's fault is it that they can't fulfill a redemption for years. We aren't talking about weeks or months. But years!
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
It's the players fault for not returning the autographs on time!

And it's the buyer's decision to buy, they should wait and research a product to determine if there are redemptions, and whether or not they are willing to buy a product with redemptions.

It's not UD's fault a player neglects to sign the cards, I'm not sure why everyone always puts the blame on the company.

I'm not saying I LIKE redemptions, or the way things are lol

But ultimately, buyers of products are not being forced to dish out big $$$ for a randomly packed box of cards .... so they must knowingly inherit all risks.

It's like buying a a Daewoo Leganza, you know it's a piece of crap, but you buy it anyways ... then when the engine blows, you feel like you have the right to complain?

Like I said though, I do feel bad for the OP who waited so long for a card that *SHOULD* have been made, but I can't stress 'buyer beware' enough!
This isn't how it works in the real world. If UD can't get a players signatures, it is up to a card company to go after that player in regards to getting compensation for the player not completing his contract. Not to mention I am fairly certain that players don't get paid until after the fact.

Once UD sells that product to you as a consumer, they are entering a seperate independent contract with the consumer of their products. There shouldn't be any inherent risk involving a redemption for a specific card in a product. As a part of its contract with you, UD is promising you this card will be yours at some point. Now it's obviously not feasible to have everything perfect, but the majority of the animosity towards an improperly fulfilled redemption is correctly directed at the manufacturer.
mrlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
This seems logical except for one major thing.

Who's fault is it that there is a redemption in the first place. Not only that who's fault is it that they can't fulfill a redemption for years. We aren't talking about weeks or months. But years!

And it's the buyer's decision to buy, they should wait and research a product to determine if there are redemptions, and whether or not they are willing to buy a product with redemptions.

It's not UD's fault a player neglects to sign the cards, I'm not sure why everyone always puts the blame on the company.

But ultimately, buyers of products are not being forced to dish out big $$$ for a randomly packed box of cards .... so they must knowingly inherit all risks.

It's like buying a a Daewoo Leganza, you know it's a piece of crap, but you buy it anyways ... then when the engine blows, you feel like you have the right to complain?

Like I said though, I do feel bad for the OP who waited so long for a card that *SHOULD* have been made, but I can't stress 'buyer beware' enough!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Maybe card companies shouldn't put products out until they have everything in order. If someone hasn't signed yet, don't add them to the checklist simple as that.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

This makes me sick to hear, I have two redemptions pending for the same card, Im guessing that Durant isnt flying to Upper Deck to sign any time soon...haha....anyways, guess my phone calls start on Monday, maybe they will give me a Daewoo Lengaza

Last edited by texas-legends; 11-17-2012 at 03:41 PM.
texas-legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #48 (permalink)

What ever happened the next day?
toppsfan is offline   Reply With Quote