Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not happy about Panini contract

Was just watching some breaks on youtube with Topps football and baseball products. I'm so upset I wish we had the chance for 5 Star basketball or another Treasury, Chrome or Finest. I like the idea of this Prism stuff but man, I know we all complain about all these companies but it'd be nice to have some variety and competition!
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Yeah, sorry man but Panini is here to stay.

Nothing we can do, monopolies cause prices to go up and quality to go down.

Heck, even Leaf makes way better stuff for the money
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
Was just watching some breaks on youtube with Topps football and baseball products. I'm so upset I wish we had the chance for 5 Star basketball or another Treasury, Chrome or Finest. I like the idea of this Prism stuff but man, I know we all complain about all these companies but it'd be nice to have some variety and competition!
I wish I could drive a 2012 Bentley GT SS. But I cant. They wont make make the card within my budget. I would settle for other cars within my budget but they arent to my liking!! It would be nice to have variety and looks like the big boys do!!

On a serious note, We cant have everything!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

yea but orangejello, you always make sarcastic posts in every thread, but tell me you wouldn't be more interested in bustin some boxes with some topps or even real UD products, the leaf stuff is kinda garbage but its fun bc its different... and bc lillard is a beast
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sblez

Everyone's pissed. We need competition. Sucks because I love basketball cards.
PM ME ABOUT ANDREW LUCK CARDS!!!
sblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Whos fault is it that only Panini can make NBA cards?

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Even as a big Panini fan, Topps' football products are sick, and I would absolutely love to see some Topps Prime Basketball and stuff like that.

At least Panini is diversifying more with Prizm, so it won't be too bad. The first Prizm autos are gonna sell huge.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

You knwo what it is... I just like options. If you think about it, with the exception of crappy service on the redemption cards, they really aren't bad. I mean Hackler and all those goons don't get back to every person but I have never had any communication with Topps or UD reps. They are the best company, but I feel like without competition they can get lazy. I thought the draft redemption think was creative, but other than that, the 11-12 products sucked. Retro and SPA were the big draws and they don't even have an NBA License at Upper Deck! But anyway, the point is, you always want what you can't have and I miss cool refractors and patches and things that came with Topps and older UD. Prism does bring me some hope though and I'd rather it be Panini in charge I guess than either of the other two having an exclusive in the end.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Most people miss UD for 2 players. MJ and Lebron. If UD didnt hold the exclusive contract on them, you wouldnt see as many people upset about content.

I just find it comical and pretty hypocritical of UD supporters who call Panini exclusivity with the NBA a monopoly and bad for the industry but supported UD for creating the same type of exclusivity with players like MJ/Lebron/Garnett that gave little chance for companies like Topps, Fleer/skybox to compete at the same level with incentives to buy their product.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

no man you're right about that. and like i said above i'm happy if anyone has it its panini who seems to be the most customer interactive and innovative but i'd like the variety. in particular with topps i remember in the 08/09 draft class year i loved chrome, treasury, hardwoods etc. wouldn't mind getting an anthony davis gold chrome refractor auto
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Topps didnt even bother to bid for the lisc. They just opted out of making basketball cards period. They were sick of player exclusivities that kept that behind the curve when it came to demand. UD had just about every top player locked up. Topps basically gave in when Panini went to get exclusivity. I bet topps is just waiting. They are waiting till UD is done and MJ/Lebron contracts open up. Atleast at the time even if they get back in the game they can have some content. As of right now if UD and Topps were back in the game the following players are locked up in exclusive contracts.

MJ, Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Garnett, Kyrie, Blake and im sure others. So what could topps offer that would entice collectors to buy their product that cannot be done by other companies?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Panini should sign Michael Jordan..For the love of the game!!!

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Panini should sign Michael Jordan..For the love of the game!!!
So what, they can overproduce and destroy the value of his cards like they have done with Kobe?!?!?!?!
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbudd View Post
So what, they can overproduce and destroy the value of his cards like they have done with Kobe?!?!?!?!
when ud is putting a jordan and lebron auto in every case, what esle can panini do?
pingbling23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

The only reason topps doesn't do exclusives with players is the money. If they aren't willing to spend money not sure how that is topps or paninis fault. Topps doesn't want to spend money. It's their own fault and no other companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Topps didnt even bother to bid for the lisc. They just opted out of making basketball cards period. They were sick of player exclusivities that kept that behind the curve when it came to demand. UD had just about every top player locked up. Topps basically gave in when Panini went to get exclusivity. I bet topps is just waiting. They are waiting till UD is done and MJ/Lebron contracts open up. Atleast at the time even if they get back in the game they can have some content. As of right now if UD and Topps were back in the game the following players are locked up in exclusive contracts.

MJ, Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Garnett, Kyrie, Blake and im sure others. So what could topps offer that would entice collectors to buy their product that cannot be done by other companies?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
The only reason topps doesn't do exclusives with players is the money. If they aren't willing to spend money not sure how that is topps or paninis fault. Topps doesn't want to spend money. It's their own fault and no other companies.
Because without the top 2 selling autos from the NBA, its impossible to find a profit from putting out basketball products.

MJ owns apart of UD so it only makes sense. He gets paid the same company that pays him to sign. Win Win.

Topps has had a few exclusive players that just didnt work out for them. Wade, I think Oden was one as well.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbudd View Post
I think this year I saw more jordan and lebron autos from UD product compare than kobe and durant autos from Panini product.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
when ud is putting a jordan and lebron auto in every case, what esle can panini do?
That didn't do anything to Jordan cards, in fact it probably boosted them a little.

Also how many Game used Jordan jerseys do you think Panini would be able to get? Pretty sure UD isnt going to sell any of them.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

you know what though, topps might just be wrong in their thinking. lets pretend they signed davis, lillard, beal and say 3 top stars not signed by panini, cp3... i dont know maybe melo and ugh... help me out here... d. rose. if they signed a couple guys like that and still put out a bunch of nice cards with patches of greg monroe and eric bledsoe and autos of dwight howard and rondo and other stars i think it would still sell. i guess the real angle we aren't talking about is how insanely expensive the nba licensing agreement probably is.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
That didn't do anything to Jordan cards, in fact it probably boosted them a little.

Also how many Game used Jordan jerseys do you think Panini would be able to get? Pretty sure UD isnt going to sell any of them.
when jordan exquisite autos are selling for less then 600, i would have to say the value has changed, ofcourse i know the older bulls uni autos are selling for more now because the market has been flooded with unc uni autos. how much has the value of kobe autos went down since pannini has been flooding them? im guessing the run of the mill ud kobe auto a few years ago was 175-200 and now the run of the mill pannini autos are around 125.
pingbling23 is online now   Reply With Quote