Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASKETBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/)
-   -   Anyone want to try and justify the Spurs actions tonight? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/406345-anyone-want-try-justify-spurs-actions-tonight.html)

Imac7065 11-29-2012 09:36 PM

Anyone want to try and justify the Spurs actions tonight?

The Spurs Heat game could have been a Finals preview.. and in the very least.. would have been a marquee game for the League on an otherwise bland sports night.

This was bad enough that David Stern has already come out and said he plans to sanction the spurs for this... so you know he's pissed.

IMO it's pathetic. If this were March, or even January.. that would be one thing.. but this is what, game 15 for them? Just unbelievable.

BTW... in case you were locked in a closet today.. the Spurs sent Duncan, Parker, Ginolbilil, and Green home instead of dressing them against the Heat. He Cited age and health as the reasons

1eyed_jack 11-29-2012 09:38 PM

Probably a good thing, since the game is close right now without them. May have been a blowout if they played

RandysHobby 11-29-2012 09:41 PM

If David Stern punishes them that will be STUPID.

Imac7065 11-29-2012 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=1eyed_jack;3725605]Probably a good thing, since the game is close right now without them. May have been a blowout if they played[/QUOTE]

the heat aren't trying in this game.. I watch every minute of every game.. they haven't really "turned it on" in awhile

Orangejello727 11-29-2012 09:41 PM

I dont its right. If I paid to see these players play and they didnt suit up when they could have, Id want my money back

He cant possibly do anything. Teams sit players all the time for whatever reasons. This is just another example of it.

Imac7065 11-29-2012 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=RandysHobby;3725627]If David Stern punishes them that will be STUPID.[/QUOTE]

[url=http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8692304/san-antonio-spurs-sit-4-top-5-scorers-vs-miami-heat]San Antonio Spurs to sit 4 of top 5 scorers vs. Miami Heat - ESPN[/url]

StraightCash 11-29-2012 09:44 PM

It would be hilarious if the Spurs won.

doctorres112 11-29-2012 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Orangejello727;3725629]I dont its right. If I paid to see these players play and they didnt suit up when they could have, Id want my money back

He cant possibly do anything. Teams sit players all the time for whatever reasons. This is just another example of it.[/QUOTE]

So if they were suited up but not playing you would be okay with it? There isn't a rule for this is there? Every league does this. Now stern wants to stipulate when it can be done? Some teams tank for draft picks and that's okay?

Payoff bound or not, if a coach thinks his veterans need a little rest on the back end of a second back to back in 6 days, all road games, he should have every right to coach his team. The only thing I think he did wrong was not bring them to the game. I have zero issue with a team resting their players.

I'm very interested to see what stern does and if they spurs will appeal.

murrke03 11-29-2012 09:46 PM

Pop arrogance.

I hope they miss the playoffs by one game.

Imac7065 11-29-2012 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=doctorres112;3725664]So if they were suited up but not playing you would be okay with it? There isn't a rule for this is there? [B]Every league does this.[/B] Now stern wants to stipulate when it can be done? Some teams tank for draft pucks and that's okay?

Payoff bound or not, if a coach thinks his veterans need a little rest on the back end of a second back to back in 6 days, all road games, he should have eery right to coach his team. The only thing I think he did wrong was not bring them to the game. I have zero issue with a team resting their players.

I'm very interested to see what stern does and if they spurs will appeal.[/QUOTE]

Really? Imagine the New England Patriots sitting Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Vince Wilfork, and Patrick Chung in a week 2 game against the Giants.. that would be about the equivilant

doctorres112 11-29-2012 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3725679]Pop arrogance.

I hope they miss the playoffs by one game.[/QUOTE]

So it's not because his top 3 guys are alittle older and they are finishing a 6 game road trip while on their second string of back to backs in 8 days?

CALVINXLIONSX81 11-29-2012 09:49 PM

Whats funny is the Spurs are still winning

1eyed_jack 11-29-2012 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=Imac7065;3725681]Really? Imagine the New England Patriots sitting Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Vince Wilfork, and Patrick Chung in a week 2 game against the Giants.. that would be about the equivilant[/QUOTE]

well in football EVERY game is so important. Basketball is a long season and they have a lot of older players, I don't see anything wrong.

pac213up 11-29-2012 09:50 PM

Good move by Pop. Realizes how meaningless regular season games are in relation to the bigger picture. Maybe he will still squeek out a win and his main pieces get to rest up. Pop certainly knows what is best for his team.

doctorres112 11-29-2012 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=Imac7065;3725681]Really? Imagine the New England Patriots sitting Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Vince Wilfork, and Patrick Chung in a week 2 game against the Giants.. that would be about the equivilant[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be, because the patriots didn't play 5 games previously, all on the road in 8 days, 4 of which were back to backs. You guys are missing the point here with why I think it's justified.

Imac7065 11-29-2012 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=doctorres112;3725723]It wouldn't be, because the patriots didn't play 5 games previously, all on the road in 8 days, 4 of which were back to backs. You guys are missing the point here with why I think it's justified.[/QUOTE]

ITS NOVEMBER lol

doctorres112 11-29-2012 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=Imac7065;3725730]ITS NOVEMBER lol[/QUOTE]

It doesn't mean they don't feel worn out from that stretch. By your standard, their age doesn't matter because the season is early. Just because I deployed to Afghanistan and in the second month I got exhausted from six 12 mile patrols in 8 days doesn't mean I shouldn't be tired. Prior injuries, weather and many other variable dictate the level of fatigue I would have.

Again, it's not about the month but about the stretch of games and the wear and tear the big 3 have.

murrke03 11-29-2012 09:55 PM

Yes it's just a coincidence they are playing the defending champ on national tv and take out their whole team.

Pop is mocking stern. Haha

jp98 11-29-2012 09:56 PM

OP, stop being ignorant....

I dont care at all, smart move by Pop, and they STILL are winning.

Imac7065 11-29-2012 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=doctorres112;3725755]It doesn't mean they don't feel worn out from that stretch. By your standard, their age doesn't matter because the season is early. Just because I deployed to Afghanistan and in the second month I got exhausted from six 12 mile patrols in 8 days doesn't mean I shouldn't be tired. Prior injuries, weather and many other variable dictate the level of fatigue I would have.

Again, it's not about the month but about the stretch of games and the wear and tear the big 3 have.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your service.. but you are comparing war to professional athletes being paid millions of dollars to play basketball. If they aren't conditioned to play... they should retire. Last year this was semi justifiable.. the entire year's schedule was like that for them (and every team) this year its a window of only 2 weeks.

doctorres112 11-29-2012 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3725767]Yes it's just a coincidence they are playing the defending champ on national tv and take out their whole team.

Pop is mocking stern. Haha[/QUOTE]

As strongly as I feel about my current argument, I'd be lying if I didn't think this was slightly true as well.

tennelson55 11-29-2012 09:57 PM

Well if everyone wanted to please the commissioner, then the lakers would have never even contemplated getting cp3, but they wanted him. Anyways the spurs are going to make the playoffs and no one will remember this in a week. I'd be pissed if I had a ticket to see this game though.

doctorres112 11-29-2012 09:58 PM

[QUOTE=Imac7065;3725776]Thank you for your service.. but you are comparing war to professional athletes being paid millions of dollars to play basketball. If they aren't conditioned to play... they should retire. Last year this was semi justifiable.. the entire year's schedule was like that for them (and every team) this year its a window of only 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the words and the friendly conversation. Bottom line for me, to punish witout the rule in stone...I don't know that it's justified. Especially with the previous examples listed before.

doctorres112 11-29-2012 10:00 PM

Also, this might be the single longest thread the Spurs have ever had on BO as long as I've been a member. I hope it's not because they are playing the Heat. Which also makes me wonder, if they were playing the Wizards tonight on TNT would Stern still be pissed?

Imac7065 11-29-2012 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=doctorres112;3725814]Also, this might be the single longest thread the Spurs have ever had on BO as long as I've been a member. I hope it's not because they are playing the Heat. Which also makes me wonder, if they were playing the Wizards tonight on TNT would Stern still be pissed?[/QUOTE]

Probably not... if what I said about the patriots happened against the Chiefs.. you'd have the same argument though. This is a marque game for the NBA and Pop.. popped it