Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
i agree with this and that is why there needs to be a rule. a line in the sand or whatever. because when the fan loses out or gets screwed that is wrong and that is why i think stern responded the way he did (at least part of the reason - the other part may be cause he thinks hes a dictator - haha)

thats why they are both at fault in my opinion and why this needs to be addressed before teams start 'abuses' the lack of rule even more.
That's fair enough, I guess I just think it's nuts that Stern would fine the Spurs $250K over something like this, when there isn't even a rule for it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbomber33 View Post
This makes no sense. What if someone went to the game to see James Jones (he didn't play for the heat) so why were the heat not fined? It's like saying the rest of the players for the spurs are not professional basketball players. Why are the reserve players on the team then. What rule/regulation was actually broken?
Now come on thats just silly and doesn't make sense. haha
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbox View Post
That's fair enough, I guess I just think it's nuts that Stern would fine the Spurs $250K over something like this, when there isn't even a rule for it.
I agree the fine doesn't seem fair since there isn't a rule. But i think its sterns attempt to try to contain the issue before it blows up into a all out free for all. Whether its fair is questionable but I think it shows that something needs to be decided and figured out in order to fix the flaw.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
this makes no sense. if stern didnt call out the spurs, THEN you should stop paying to watch NBA games this season because apparently it'd be okay to bench 3 all-stars on a marquee november prime time game. money or not, stern is protecting the quality of the product that he looks over.

maybe you were happy with watching the heat barely come back to beat the spurs without their HOFers, but i would not be happy if i went to watch for example dallas vs boston and carlisle/doc decided that dirk & KG/pierce/rajon were all going to sit out
If he was protecting the quality of the product why would the Spurs be on a 10 day, 6 game road trip, with 2 back to backs and the Heat being the last team played on the second back to back.....oh yeah, and the Heat had like the last 4 days off....

Just wondering how that schedule decision made sense....and then to put the game on TNT or whatever. If Stern didn't like Pops decision, make it a rule now and punish the next person for the infraction.
doctorres112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #30 (permalink)

Crazy fine and sets a dangerous precedent...

What if the Spurs had won the game last night?
What if the Spurs were playing the Wizards and did the same thing?
What if you sit middle of the road players?

All of these are ambiguities that would be impossible to define under any sort of rules-based system (what constitutes a star? what matchups qualify under these rules? why wouldn't teams just fake injuries to get around this rule? does the outcome of the game matter?). So many things can go wrong and there are so many loopholes when you just try to throw another law/rule at the situation. I know it's all about the fans, but in the end, most fans care most about winning. It's in the coach's and team's best interests to win in the long term - they wouldn't start doing this for long stretches of the season just to show up a commissioner.

I just think this was one of those rare instances under a certain coach where the stars aligned and everything happened the way it did. Just a gross overreaction in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Now come on thats just silly and doesn't make sense. haha
Ha I know, but its the point that it is not the coach who has the decision who plays apparently. If the Spurs had won, would there have been any sanctions? It just does not make sense to me. Might as well have David Stern coach every single team and then we would not have this problem. He could play whoever he wants.

2014 IP Auto's: Cards-474, 8x10's-16, ROMLB-3

Last edited by bronxbomber33; 11-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.
bronxbomber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

The only way this fine is acceptable is if it goes to repaying those people who paid to see the game, and/or the tv rights that expected to show the good Spurs players. If it's just Stern pocketing the money, then he is even more corrupt and pathetic than originally thought...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

So, if those Spurs players had played but gotten injured, could the Spurs sue the League for that hectic schedule too?

Should we fine teams that remove players at the end of a blowout? I paid for 48 minutes of those superstars, not 36!

After gifting CP3 to the Clippers and the #1 pick to the new Hornets owner (and I'm a huge Benson fan), Stern wants to dictate how teams handle palyers's rest?? Ridiculous.

Looking for: Nick Tropeano (Astros), Kyle Smith (Royals/Astros)
poppudaimadochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

i'm not sure what to think about this. i think it's a bit ridiculous the commissioner can do that.

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
GA0

I think we should just get rid of coaching staffs altogether. Let the fans and Commish Stern control all the teams. Limit Roster Size to five players and let them play all 48 minutes a game. If a player happens to get injured, they must play through or face severe sanctions.

While we're at it, lets change the style of arenas to this:

Complete with trapdoors to drop players in whenever Czar Stern gives the thumbs down.
John Wall sucks, send me all his autos for $5 a piece
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

250k is excessive though!...At least they'll never do that again...

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
I think we should just get rid of coaching staffs altogether. Let the fans and Commish Stern control all the teams. Limit Roster Size to five players and let them play all 48 minutes a game. If a player happens to get injured, they must play through or face severe sanctions.

Complete with trapdoors to drop players in whenever Czar Stern gives the thumbs down.
Over blow much?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #38 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Over blow much?
Eh you're right. Popovich participating in underground meetings to plan how to spite Stern is completely plausible though. Not that Duncan or Manu are older, or that the Spurs just came off like 4 games in 5 nights are plausible.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Eh you're right. Popovich participating in underground meetings to plan how to spite Stern is completely plausible though. Not that Duncan or Manu are older, or that the Spurs just came off like 4 games in 5 nights are plausible.
Yeah Danny green is so old too. And it's not like the schedule hasn't been out for months. Pop decided in July yet waits till the day of to announce? Seems like he didn't want to spite stern. Lol
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:

Gods of the Arena

Collecting Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins.
Cades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Yeah Danny green is so old too. And it's not like the schedule hasn't been out for months. Pop decided in July yet waits till the day of to announce? Seems like he didn't want to spite stern. Lol
So all of this would be alright if Pop announced he would do this back in July? All would be well in Stern's Palace? Do coaches have to turn in decisions 4 months in advance? Pop better put in his request to rest players in April or else he'll get more sanctions. Lol
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So all of this would be alright if Pop announced he would do this back in July? All would be well in Stern's Palace? Do coaches have to turn in decisions 4 months in advance? Pop better put in his request to rest players in April or else he'll get more sanctions. Lol
Maybe it would have been better. That's the point. Pop did this partially to spite stern.

Like I said they are both at fault and its a flaw in the system.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven1 View Post
If any of you had paid big bucks to go watch that game live, i know you would have been crying and complaining like little girls! But since it didnt happen to you its ok then...LOL....Hypocrites!

sounds like you have done the most whining during this thread. Fact is if they aren't playing you just have to say oh well. If Spurs 'fans' are complaining that the team is trying to stay fresh and healthy and they have a problem with that then the 'fans' are being selfish and not looking for the overall health and success with the team.

There is nothing the league can do about this, if they say a coach can't just rest some key players all they have to do is make up an excuse like saying their struck with the flu or excused for a family emergency
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
sounds like you have done the most whining during this thread. Fact is if they aren't playing you just have to say oh well. If Spurs 'fans' are complaining that the team is trying to stay fresh and healthy and they have a problem with that then the 'fans' are being selfish and not looking for the overall health and success with the team.

There is nothing the league can do about this, if they say a coach can't just rest some key players all they have to do is make up an excuse like saying their struck with the flu or excused for a family emergency
Yes if a father can only afford to take his son to one nba game and his son says dad I want to go see Lebron and the defending champions play the spurs and Tim Duncan when they are in miami. So when they go to the game and none of the players are there we should just say "oh well".

Yes that is what the nba should pride itself on giving to the fans.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes if a father can only afford to take his son to one nba game and his son says dad I want to go see Lebron and the defending champions play the spurs and Tim Duncan when they are in miami. So when they go to the game and none of the players are there we should just say "oh well".

yes he should just say oh well. You can not force a player to play a game when it would be more beneficial to rest even if it means some fans would be pissed. Most fans would rather see their team feel strong in the playoffs rather than burn themselves out by the end of the season. And Tim Duncan has been one of the most durable players the last 15 seasons but even he has played more than 78 games in a season only twice out of the past 9 seasons. Players are going to miss games every once in awhile and if a father or someone else can't accept that than they are being unreasonable
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshues View Post
Just saw this news, unbelievable. I'm a big Suns fan, so I hate the Spurs, but even a Suns fan can say that this fine is absolutely absurd.

Is it 2014 yet?
My thoughts exactly.
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

You can't make everyone happy. Most people are ok with pop decision. Only very few people got very upset due to this ticket. And seriously, how many Duncan, Parker, Manu fan in Miami? Use that 250k and refund them.
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #48 (permalink)

I haven't been obsessively following this like some, but am I correct in generalizing that pretty much the only people who are upset by this are Miami Heat fans, the people who bought tickets and David Stern?

Everyone else seems to be ok with the move...it's just dumb to fine them for it. Stern deserves to be curb-stomped...so sick of that smug sob.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #49 (permalink)

This entire thing is bs and I can only hope that when the heat,thunder,grizzles, rest their players when they clinch the 1 or 2 seeds they will be fined too.
howethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #50 (permalink)

Hopefully people realize that Pop did this last year when they were in the same type of stretch and he sat the same big 3. The difference .... they were playing Portland ... and not on National TV. Stern didn't say a word about it last year.

Spurs were blown out by like 40 points ...

It's all about Money coming in. I bet you either TNT and/or TNT advertisers were the ones who complained the most.