Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
So all of this would be alright if Pop announced he would do this back in July? All would be well in Stern's Palace? Do coaches have to turn in decisions 4 months in advance? Pop better put in his request to rest players in April or else he'll get more sanctions. Lol
if pop had announced this let's say a month ago, then perhaps the NBA could find another 2 teams to play on national television. it's no different than when the nfl changes which games are broadcast late in the season. yes it's about money, but it makes sense. as a fan of the nba, i want to watch a great game with the best that each team can offer
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
if pop had announced this let's say a month ago, then perhaps the NBA could find another 2 teams to play on national television. it's no different than when the nfl changes which games are broadcast late in the season. yes it's about money, but it makes sense. as a fan of the nba, i want to watch a great game with the best that each team can offer
Then every team would do the same by calling out in advance when they see the schedule is not favorable to them. What if the call out is from Heats this time? Would they move the game to Tuesday Nov 27th, so that Spurs would play 4 road games in a row?

There is no best way to fix it unless they lower the season games. And most importantly, it is very hard for a team to do it. First, you have to rest players who are royal to the team. Second, you have to players who want to make into national TV to increase their chance of showcase their talents. Lastly, these resting players have the same goal with the coach (to win championship, not to win the next big contract).
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #53 (permalink)

the scheduling excuse is bogus. for one, every team encounters scheduling quirks... it's an 82-game season that spans 5+ months. also, if coach pop wanted to rest his players, why not rest them the game the night before?! if pop really wanted to give his players rest AND their best chance to win both games, he'd rest them wednesday when they played orlando and then play them all thursday in miami. if he really needed to save their legs and minutes, there's no point in wasting them against the magic.

i dont feel like any coach should rest any players when it's november, esp not on game nights where it's on national TV. bottomline, if pop wanted to rest 3 all-stars, do it against an inferior opponent and NOT when it's against the defending champions on primetime. the fans lose out on a potential classic or a finals preview (not that i think the spurs would make it personally)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
the scheduling excuse is bogus. for one, every team encounters scheduling quirks... it's an 82-game season that spans 5+ months. also, if coach pop wanted to rest his players, why not rest them the game the night before?! if pop really wanted to give his players rest AND their best chance to win both games, he'd rest them wednesday when they played orlando and then play them all thursday in miami. if he really needed to save their legs and minutes, there's no point in wasting them against the magic.

i dont feel like any coach should rest any players when it's november, esp not on game nights where it's on national TV. bottomline, if pop wanted to rest 3 all-stars, do it against an inferior opponent and NOT when it's against the defending champions on primetime. the fans lose out on a potential classic or a finals preview (not that i think the spurs would make it personally)
As I said elsewhere, the Spurs were already short handed with Kahwi Leonard out, as well as Stephen Jackson, the 2 that would most likely get the defensive job on Lebron.

After the road trip, 2 players out injured and the sheer age, I don't think it is unreasonable!

I think Coach Pop is the most qualified to make the call as to whether it was the best thing to do, not us! And not Stern!

There is no logical reason why else he would 'throw' the game! And to those you honestly believe it was all about Stern?? C'mon
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I haven't been obsessively following this like some, but am I correct in generalizing that pretty much the only people who are upset by this are Miami Heat fans, the people who bought tickets and David Stern?

Everyone else seems to be ok with the move...it's just dumb to fine them for it. Stern deserves to be curb-stomped...so sick of that smug sob.
I think you are wrong. sorry
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob50 View Post
As I said elsewhere, the Spurs were already short handed with Kahwi Leonard out, as well as Stephen Jackson, the 2 that would most likely get the defensive job on Lebron.

After the road trip, 2 players out injured and the sheer age, I don't think it is unreasonable!

I think Coach Pop is the most qualified to make the call as to whether it was the best thing to do, not us! And not Stern!

There is no logical reason why else he would 'throw' the game! And to those you honestly believe it was all about Stern?? C'mon
that sounds all good and dandy but you know better then to think this was all just about giving some of his players 'rest'. come one now
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #57 (permalink)

Leave it to the above poster to argue the point 95% of the world doesn't agree with.

Popovich is the Head Coach of the Spurs. That is his job. He is doing what he thinks is best of his team. That's a crime?

Look at the Warriors tanking at the end of last season so they could keep there draft pick and eventually get Harrison Barnes. Did anyone complain about that? Of course not other than a few Raptor fans.

So what is the difference? If anything the Warriors should be penalized more.

The issue is that this game was on national television. TNT.

Just a pity that a coach can't coach his team anymore.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #58 (permalink)

I think the issue for me is tickets to the spurs game cost MORE then any other tickets (for what was showed anyways), meaning obviously someone thought it was a premier game, the only people losing out is the fans who bought tickets thinking they were gonna see duncan/parker/manu take on wade/lebron/bosh.

That is the only way I would care is if I bought tickets to the game, which cost 15% more because of who they were playing (for orange seats, that is all they showed, but I assume other seats were similar)

Now, the fine part is retarded indeed. The pats were fined 250k for spygate, lol

Collecting Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins.
Cades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
Leave it to the above poster to argue the point 95% of the world doesn't agree with.

Popovich is the Head Coach of the Spurs. That is his job. He is doing what he thinks is best of his team. That's a crime?

Look at the Warriors tanking at the end of last season so they could keep there draft pick and eventually get Harrison Barnes. Did anyone complain about that? Of course not other than a few Raptor fans.

So what is the difference? If anything the Warriors should be penalized more.

The issue is that this game was on national television. TNT.

Just a pity that a coach can't coach his team anymore.
I never said what pop did was a crime. Its people like you overblowing the other sides points to make it seem ridiculous.

This is a completely different situation. If pop wanted to give his players a rest why not rest each one for different games. Why does a 25 year old role player even need a rest? Like I said if you think this was just about pop 'resting' his players you are extremely naive.

I'll say it again cause people are having trouble reading. I am not saying stern is right but neither is pop and that needs to be pointed out and addressed.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #60 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

They played 6 road games in 8 days, why Miami had 5 days off..

How is this justifiable?
groundsupport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
They played 6 road games in 8 days, why Miami had 5 days off..

How is this justifiable?
haha go through the complete nba schedule and i'm sure you will find similar instances.

really you are going to complain about the scheduling? if the spurs were so unhappy why not come out and say that when the schedule was released months ago... pop isn't an idiot and all of a sudden was like 'oh know this week we have a lot of games'.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #62 (permalink)

Pop did this twice last year. Both times coming on 11 game winning streaks. Teams do this all the time. Stern has come out in past(when Cavs sat lebron) and said it was up to the teams. Founds some sad loophole about advance notice to punish pop for showing him up on a national TV game.
Gator993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator993 View Post
Pop did this twice last year. Both times coming on 11 game winning streaks. Teams do this all the time. Stern has come out in past(when Cavs sat lebron) and said it was up to the teams. Founds some sad loophole about advance notice to punish pop for showing him up on a national TV game.
i don't think this has ever been done 16 games into the season and to this extent.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #64 (permalink)

He mentioned before the season even started he would rest duncan and others on stretches where they play several games in a small amount of days. Pop is widely considered one of the smarter coaches and is out in front of others when in comes to minute management. Just like they took advantage of the intl talent before the rest of the league caught on.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #65 (permalink)

Do I think it was impart to show stern up for that ridiculous schedule stretch, yes. But it was still in his teams best interest. Not only does it rest guys that were playing more often then used to it give the rest of the team run against a very good team, this stuff builds a team during a long season.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Do I think it was impart to show stern up for that ridiculous schedule stretch, yes. But it was still in his teams best interest. Not only does it rest guys that were playing more often then used to it give the rest of the team run against a very good team, this stuff builds a team during a long season.
so its all about gregg popovich and the spurs? but also about sticking it to stern?

forget the fan - or the integrity of the game. pop may have had some honest intentions to rest his team but he clearly had an ulterior motive to try and show up stern and in the process slap fans in the face. and that is wrong and arrogant.

there is a flaw but he went about exposing that in the wrong way.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #67 (permalink)

To Pop and the Spurs yes it's all about them.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
To Pop and the Spurs yes it's all about them.
and is that right?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #69 (permalink)

Popovich did nothing against the NBA rules, so what can he be guilty of?

People who didn't get to see Duncan,Parker,Ginobili, and Green play are mad? Ok and?

Would it have been better if Pop lied and said they had injuries? Resting them all at one time or different times shouldn't make a difference at all. He is the coach of that team. That is his job. He seems to do okay and coaching lol and has rested these players for being old before. Now it's an issue? It is just an issue because it was on national television.

Why don't people complain when bad teams tank at the end of years? Like the Warriors did to keep there draft pick and chose Harrison Barnes? Please enlighten me that subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
I never said what pop did was a crime. Its people like you overblowing the other sides points to make it seem ridiculous.

This is a completely different situation. If pop wanted to give his players a rest why not rest each one for different games. Why does a 25 year old role player even need a rest? Like I said if you think this was just about pop 'resting' his players you are extremely naive.

I'll say it again cause people are having trouble reading. I am not saying stern is right but neither is pop and that needs to be pointed out and addressed.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
and is that right?
Why wouldn't it be, they didn't break any league rules. They are trying to win.

If you sign lebron James, wade and bosh that's good for the heat but not the league so how far do you want to take this argument.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Why wouldn't it be, they didn't break any league rules. They are trying to win.

If you sign lebron James, wade and bosh that's good for the heat but not the league so how far do you want to take this argument.
because he slapped fans in the face. fans make the nba what it is and what he did was slap them in the face and say they aren't important and its all about me. he didn't apologize to the fan or anything. and to think fans should just accept that because there is 'no clear' rule is arrogant.

its not necessarily what he did but its how he did it and to the extent that he did it.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #72 (permalink)

How many fans are really bothered by this?

I think you are either really sensitive and get offended easily as a fan or just hating on a winning franchise. Not sure it's that big of a deal. Spurs will gladly pay the fine and won't complain about it publicly.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #73 (permalink)

I never heard a response to my thread.......
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
How many fans are really bothered by this?

I think you are either really sensitive and get offended easily as a fan or just hating on a winning franchise. Not sure it's that big of a deal. Spurs will gladly pay the fine and won't complain about it publicly.
haha yes thats it.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I haven't been obsessively following this like some, but am I correct in generalizing that pretty much the only people who are upset by this are Miami Heat fans, the people who bought tickets and David Stern?

Everyone else seems to be ok with the move...it's just dumb to fine them for it. Stern deserves to be curb-stomped...so sick of that smug sob.
no, really you seem to be spot on with that. I'm so sure that he is terrified to play miami this early in the season when it means absolutely nothing. Honestly, the only people who really would have a right to be pissed about it, is if someone paid the money and went to that game. But from the box score, it was still a close game.

It really is mainly heat fans who think that everyone in the league shakes in their shoes when they are playing them. Just let them have go on until their heads explode. Simply put, he is their head coach for a reason. It is his call. What he says goes. Do you people really think that rambling on b*tching and complaining for 10 pages (which it looks like it will make it to) on a internet forum will make anything different?
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote