Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NBA Fines Spurs

Haven't seen a thread yet, The NBA has fined the Spurs 250K for sitting players out of last nights game.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's the article: NBA fines San Antonio Spurs $250,000 for sitting players - ESPN
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just saw this news, unbelievable. I'm a big Suns fan, so I hate the Spurs, but even a Suns fan can say that this fine is absolutely absurd.

Is it 2014 yet?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

you can get fined for sitting players out? Where the hell are all the fines towards the end of the season when teams sit out players if they are already a lock for the playoffs? *cough the heat*
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

That is silliness.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I betcha a wealthy and influential "friend" of David Stern called him and complained about the situation, and forced Stern to take action, ie someone probably lost a lot of money on the game.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

They lost the game by like 5, how in the world can Stern justify this?

Just absurd that he thinks he can do this and not look like a dictator
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's all about making money for the league. Stern only sees this as business, not a sport. I'm sorry, I will not pay to see any NBA games at least for this season.
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

great .

spurs players are probably the happiest
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
It's all about making money for the league. Stern only sees this as business, not a sport. I'm sorry, I will not pay to see any NBA games at least for this season.
and what about the fans that paid to go see parker, ginobili and duncan?
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
Yeah, no team should play bench players since everyone is watching Lebron and other good players. No sub, 48 minutes straight.
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, no team should play bench players since everyone is watching Lebron and other good players. No sub, 48 minutes straight.
Well it seems like you are incapable of having a rational conversation. Well I tried.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

That is absurd. If coach Pop thinks resting their best players will make the Spurs better in the long run, he should have every right to do that. I mean, it was still a really good, close game. I'm really starting to lose my patience for Stern.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Where is the line of demarcation for your position in regards to what is acceptable behavior when it comes to sitting, benching or not having players dress/show at all?

Are coaches ever allowed to have players not dress? If so, when? Is there a limit to the number of players in any one game that can not dress without the team facing penalties? Are there any players that are never allowed to not dress?

I would have the same questions in regards to players sitting through a game or being benched during a game and not returning to play.

Please define your position better as that will be a solid step towards generating a rational conversation on this topic.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
I betcha a wealthy and influential "friend" of David Stern called him and complained about the situation, and forced Stern to take action, ie someone probably lost a lot of money on the game.
Which doesn't matter because Spurs covered both lines.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbox View Post
That is absurd. If coach Pop thinks resting their best players will make the Spurs better in the long run, he should have every right to do that. I mean, it was still a really good, close game. I'm really starting to lose my patience for Stern.
So once again it's all about the spurs and Gregg popovich. Is that fair?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
So once again it's all about the spurs and Gregg popovich. Is that fair?
If Pop thinks it gives the Spurs a better chance to win, than yes it is.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

What official rule was violated?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

This is complete BS!!! So will every team be fined when a player doesn't play? What about at the end of the season when the teams "rest" players for the playoffs? Same concept so the same result should happen.

Would this have happened if the players just sat on the bench for the whole game rather then flying back early? Prob not. I say Pop play them for 1 min in the next big game then call timeout and have them "rest" the rest of the game
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
If Pop thinks it gives the Spurs a better chance to win, than yes it is.
and that is arrogant.

there is a flaw in the system and pop tried to exploit it and there needs to be a better defined line. it will only lead to future problems if this is not figured out. and what will suffer is the integrity of the game and mostly the fan.

i'm not saying stern is right, but pop needs to be blamed as well. its a flaw in the system and something needs to be decided. both sides have valid arguments but when its comes down to the fan, actions like this will continuously screw over the fan and the fan is what makes the nba. pops disregard for the fan shows his arrogance and his failure to apologize proves it.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
this makes no sense. if stern didnt call out the spurs, THEN you should stop paying to watch NBA games this season because apparently it'd be okay to bench 3 all-stars on a marquee november prime time game. money or not, stern is protecting the quality of the product that he looks over.

maybe you were happy with watching the heat barely come back to beat the spurs without their HOFers, but i would not be happy if i went to watch for example dallas vs boston and carlisle/doc decided that dirk & KG/pierce/rajon were all going to sit out
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
and that is arrogant.

there is a flaw in the system and pop tried to exploit it and there needs to be a better defined line. it will only lead to future problems if this is not figured out. and what will suffer is the integrity of the game and mostly the fan.

i'm not saying stern is right, but pop needs to be blamed as well. its a flaw in the system and something needs to be decided. both sides have valid arguments but when its comes down to the fan, actions like this will continuously screw over the fan and the fan is what makes the nba. pops disregard for the fan shows his arrogance and his failure to apologize proves it.
Well I agree, fans would like to see Duncan, Manu, and Parker in the lineup, but I think Pop is more concerned about winning and long term success than what the fans want.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

If any of you had paid big bucks to go watch that game live, i know you would have been crying and complaining like little girls! But since it didnt happen to you its ok then...LOL....Hypocrites!

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well I agree, fans would like to see Duncan, Manu, and Parker in the lineup, but I think Pop is more concerned about winning and long term success than what the fans want.
i agree with this and that is why there needs to be a rule. a line in the sand or whatever. because when the fan loses out or gets screwed that is wrong and that is why i think stern responded the way he did (at least part of the reason - the other part may be cause he thinks hes a dictator - haha)

thats why they are both at fault in my opinion and why this needs to be addressed before teams start 'abuses' the lack of rule even more.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

This makes no sense. What if someone went to the game to see James Jones (he didn't play for the heat) so why were the heat not fined? It's like saying the rest of the players for the spurs are not professional basketball players. Why are the reserve players on the team then. What rule/regulation was actually broken?

2014 IP Auto's: Cards-474, 8x10's-16, ROMLB-3
bronxbomber33 is offline   Reply With Quote