Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How does Prizm look in person?

Sorry if there is a thread related to this, but ive heard a lot of people talking about it. Specifically the gold versions, worth buying?
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

The golds are gorgeous. Great technology. I normally poo-poo Panini, but the got this product right. These Chrome rookies are sweet. Will probably (hopefully) grade well.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
The golds are gorgeous. Great technology. I normally poo-poo Panini, but the got this product right. These Chrome rookies are sweet. Will probably (hopefully) grade well.
Good to hear, i think ill buy some golds of my favorite players.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Prizm base look lighter then in scans . Real nice
Prizm Ref are sweet looking
golds are a simple wow
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

They look fantastic.

I've opened 5 cases so far and the quality control is fantastic. Warping (slight curling of the card as the front and back materials of the card are made of different material and react different to changes in atmosphere) is almost non-existent on the base cards out of the pack. I've had base cards sitting in piles on a table for a couple of days now and they still have almost no warping. Some of the auto cards, which were made earlier, do have some warping. And there are some Prizm parallels with small scratches, but those are very rare.

I'd say Panini's quality control in Prizm is better than any I've seen in a Topps Chrome product. But I only have a couple of years experience, so my opinion could be wrong.

EDIT: great point by Quasian, we don't know the long term QC of these cards. Only time will tell I guess...

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 11-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

in person they are super clean........ very nice cards, even better than I expected

wouldn't it be crazy if on a product like this you keep the card 2 years or more and the ink fades off or the front curles off the card & it comes apart or something? that would be a wild situation
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you guys think these will become more or less valuable in a couple months. I actually think the golds will become even more sought after if there as great as everyone says they are.

Also its good to hear that QC is top notch on these
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Got me a Kobe auto on the way!...cant wait to see it in hand!

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've only been buying singles lately. When I saw a guy busting some Prizm at the LCS, I ended up grabbing 2 packs to test my luck. I ended up getting a gold /10. I have to say that it is absolutely stunning.
rwgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is at least one negative about Prizm.

The collation is crap-ola-mcnugget-mold-fart-tastic. Panini, for as long as I've been opening their stuff, has always had collation problems.

In 5 cases, some base cards I've pulled 28-30 copies. Other base cards I've pulled only 16-17 copies. These aren't SP's as far as I can tell, because there's no rhyme or reason for which ones are shorted, and it happens with the veterans just as with the RC's.

A collector looking for hits who opens a box or a few boxes isn't going to care. Set building collectors are going to have to buy way more boxes than they should. And case breakers like me it just causes huge problems in trying to do presells of sets and such.

Topps, on the other hand, has collation down to a science. I've had some Topps breaks where I pull say 45 copies of each base card, and I only at most 1-2 extras in various base cards. I wish Panini could do collation like Topps.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

busted some today. i really like the look and feel of these cards. i like them better than certified.

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Other base cards I've pulled only 16-17 copies.

i'm glad you said 17
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

What's the visual difference between the Autos and the Prizm Autos /25? I can't tell based on ebay haha

They should have made the Prizm Autos /25 gold colored or something. Like in Topps Chrome.

-Brandon

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
What did the buffalo say to his son when he left for college? Bison.
brandonlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlec View Post
What's the visual difference between the Autos and the Prizm Autos /25? I can't tell based on ebay haha

They should have made the Prizm Autos /25 gold colored or something. Like in Topps Chrome.

-Brandon
The Prizm parallels have a very obvious rainbow refraction. Scans don't do the cards well. But in hand, the rainbow is excellent, as good or better than Topps does it. IMO.

Put a base against a prizm parallel in your hands, it will be obvious.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

The collation is crap-ola-mcnugget-mold-fart-tastic. Panini, for as long as I've been opening their stuff, has always had collation problems.

In 5 cases, some base cards I've pulled 28-30 copies. Other base cards I've pulled only 16-17 copies. These aren't SP's as far as I can tell, because there's no rhyme or reason for which ones are shorted, and it happens with the veterans just as with the RC's.

A collector looking for hits who opens a box or a few boxes isn't going to care. Set building collectors are going to have to buy way more boxes than they should. And case breakers like me it just causes huge problems in trying to do presells of sets and such.

Topps, on the other hand, has collation down to a science. I've had some Topps breaks where I pull say 45 copies of each base card, and I only at most 1-2 extras in various base cards. I wish Panini could do collation like Topps.

As far as the case hits did you get a kobe,griffin,irving,durant in every case ?

1 prizm auto and 3 golds per case ?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiporch View Post
As far as the case hits did you get a kobe,griffin,irving,durant in every case ?

1 prizm auto and 3 golds per case ?
In 5 cases I pulled 18 Gold Prizm's /10 and 6 Prizm auto's /25.

And yes, in 4 of the 5 cases I pulled at least 1 real nice hit like that. One case didn't have one of those, but it did have two good RC /25 prizm auto's. (MKG and Thomas Robinson)

But yeah, the cases seem to be spread out pretty well. Or thinned out. Seems like there are less superstar auto's in Prizm than in Threads. Threads was way cool for me, pulled Durant, Kobe, Griffin, multiple Kyrie and Davis, etc. Prizm does not seem as auto happy as Threads.

However, a lot of the value coming out of Prizm now are in the parallels. I have no idea how long that will hold up, but parallels of RC's seem to be selling better than some of the auto's.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
The Prizm parallels have a very obvious rainbow refraction. Scans don't do the cards well. But in hand, the rainbow is excellent, as good or better than Topps does it. IMO.

Put a base against a prizm parallel in your hands, it will be obvious.
hey you got to give us a breakdown. I really like when you list your breaks. Also I noticed with the autos and inserts are almost thicker, maybe thats just because there warped though.
S.Gallagherfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
In 5 cases I pulled 18 Gold Prizm's /10 and 6 Prizm auto's /25.

And yes, in 4 of the 5 cases I pulled at least 1 real nice hit like that. One case didn't have one of those, but it did have two good RC /25 prizm auto's. (MKG and Thomas Robinson)

But yeah, the cases seem to be spread out pretty well. Or thinned out. Seems like there are less superstar auto's in Prizm than in Threads. Threads was way cool for me, pulled Durant, Kobe, Griffin, multiple Kyrie and Davis, etc. Prizm does not seem as auto happy as Threads.

However, a lot of the value coming out of Prizm now are in the parallels. I have no idea how long that will hold up, but parallels of RC's seem to be selling better than some of the auto's.
not all the rookies have autos so maybe that is the reason
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Gallagherfan6 View Post
hey you got to give us a breakdown. I really like when you list your breaks. Also I noticed with the autos and inserts are almost thicker, maybe thats just because there warped though.
I will try to list a rundown when I have time. I had some massive hits. Like a gold Jeremy Lin 07/10 (his jersey number), Griffin auto, Davis auto, Kyrie auto, Thomas Robinson prizm auto /25, MKG prizm auto /25. And I'm telling you, the sales of the parallels is nuts. I sold a gold /10 D Wade insert parallel for $114 last night. That is insane. And the USA team inserts are just bonkers. I have a LeBron USA Team insert prizm parallel that's already at $46 with 3 days left. Wow.

But right now I have to stop reading Blowout and get to sleep or else my brain is going to turn off for good!

And yep, the auto's seem to be a tab bit thicker than the base cards. Some of the inserts also seem to have this extra thickness. It is very small difference though, maybe 5-6pt?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

LMFAO - You win!
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
In 5 cases I pulled 18 Gold Prizm's /10

if that's typical it would mean about 1100 cases
(4000 golds @ 3.6 case)
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

hope you mean 11000 cases

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
MSD

Are the golds even hobby exclusive?
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

We haven't even seen the retail greens yet. Wonder how they'll do, if anything as they're much easier to pull I believe.

I think this product will see a price increase. Guys are noticing how the stuff is selling and going nuts for it here in Indy.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Is the prizm refractor technology different looking in any way from topps refractor technology? Or basically the same?