Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASKETBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/)
-   -   What is Anthony Davis' hobby ceiling? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/407307-what-anthony-davis-hobby-ceiling.html)

1eyed_jack 12-01-2012 04:28 PM

What is Anthony Davis' hobby ceiling?

It seems like his stuff is selling really well right now, even though he's been hurt.

Do you think his stuff could go up a lot if he plays well? Centers don't seem to have the same hobby value as explosive guards, so do you think even if he plays well his stuff will lower a bit?

Also, how do you guys think he will fare in the NBA?

nera20 12-01-2012 04:31 PM

hes a good player, but if you don't sell now I think you will lose out on money. As more products come out and more autos surface the prices will drop. He is also hurt already which isn't a good sign when a big man gets hurt so quick. Better off investing in something else.

1eyed_jack 12-01-2012 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=nera20;3735403]hes a good player, but if you don't sell now I think you will lose out on money. As more products come out and more autos surface the prices will drop. He is also hurt already which isn't a good sign when a big man gets hurt so quick. Better off investing in something else.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I pulled a Prizm auto of his, which I think will remain one of his best autos, but I'm just not sure.

Didn't know a ton about him and watched some videos, seems like he's got good court awareness, good touch around the basket, good range, and pretty smooth around the basket, but he doesn't seem very strong.

is that fair?

nera20 12-01-2012 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=1eyed_jack;3735413]Yeah, I pulled a Prizm auto of his, which I think will remain one of his best autos, but I'm just not sure.

Didn't know a ton about him and watched some videos, seems like he's got good court awareness, good touch around the basket, good range, and pretty smooth around the basket, but he doesn't seem very strong.

is that fair?[/QUOTE]

I agree on all accounts, its just tough buying centers sometimes, if they converted him into a Kevin Durant position type player he might be better off. You never know though, but right now he cards are hot and I would take the money and run.

pepsiporch 12-01-2012 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=1eyed_jack;3735413]Yeah, I pulled a Prizm auto of his, which I think will remain one of his best autos, but I'm just not sure.

is that fair?[/QUOTE]

He is so young he will get stronger

1eyed_jack 12-01-2012 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=nera20;3735428]I agree on all accounts, its just tough buying centers sometimes, if they converted him into a Kevin Durant position type player he might be better off. You never know though, but right now he cards are hot and I would take the money and run.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I think he may be back next week, so I might try and sell it then if he has a big game or two

1eyed_jack 12-01-2012 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=pepsiporch;3735435]He is so young he will get stronger[/QUOTE]

If he can bulk up that would be good! I'm just worried because so many big men start getting hurt and never really stay healthy.

Is he more a traditional center, or a shooting center?

pepsiporch 12-01-2012 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=1eyed_jack;3735453]If he can bulk up that would be good! I'm just worried because so many big men start getting hurt and never really stay healthy.

Is he more a traditional center, or a shooting center?[/QUOTE]

he is 19 yrs old

He is great at both he can shoot

He can actually hit free throws . Most centers cannot .
dwight howard how is his stuff supposed to go up when the guy cannot hit a free throw
I love Lillard but davis being hurt might help his chances at roy most rookies hit a wall because full season is to much for them .

phil 12-01-2012 07:19 PM

his ceiling is one of the greatest players of all time. tim duncan on steroids.

odds are he won't be consistently healthy enough to get there, but he has the tools and athleticism.

JK8283 12-01-2012 08:05 PM

Tim Duncan came into the league a few years older but unbelievably more polished on the offensive end. To address the OP's question, if Tim Duncan is the ceiling in terms of hobby love, then no, there isn't much room to go up from where he is (already solid). Big men in general are not appreciated by the market relative to the 1/2/3's.

brandonlec 12-01-2012 10:58 PM

If he keeps getting injured and beat up like he is, he isn't going to be worth anything ha!

-Brandon

mfw13 12-01-2012 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=phil;3736353]his ceiling is one of the greatest players of all time. tim duncan on steroids.[/QUOTE]

And note how much Tim Duncan cards are worth....they are treated as commons in most cases, mainly because he plays for a small market team. Just like his predecessor and teammate, David Robinson.

Since Davis got drafted by New Orleans, he will likely also suffer the same fate unless he forces a trade to a big market team an wins a bunch of championships there.

Note that the only six players in the last three decades who achieved hobby "god-hood" are Magic (Lakers), Bird (Celtics), Jordan (Bulls), Shaq (Magic/Lakers), Kobe (Lakers), and LeBron (Cavs/Heat). Before that you've got Kareem (Lakers) and Dr. J (Sixers), and before them Wilt (Philadelphia/LA), Bill Russell (Celtics), Bob Cousy (Celtics), Jerry West (Lakers), and the Big O (Milwaukee).

Look at the cards of Hakeem Olajuwon (two titles, but not in a major market), or Karl Malone (no titles, small market), or Patrick Ewing (no titles, big market) to see what is in store for the value of Davis' cards unless he wins a bunch of titles with a famous/big-market team.

1eyed_jack 12-02-2012 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=mfw13;3738362]And note how much Tim Duncan cards are worth....they are treated as commons in most cases, mainly because he plays for a small market team. Just like his predecessor and teammate, David Robinson.

Since Davis got drafted by New Orleans, he will likely also suffer the same fate unless he forces a trade to a big market team an wins a bunch of championships there.

Note that the only six players in the last three decades who achieved hobby "god-hood" are Magic (Lakers), Bird (Celtics), Jordan (Bulls), Shaq (Magic/Lakers), Kobe (Lakers), and LeBron (Cavs/Heat). Before that you've got Kareem (Lakers) and Dr. J (Sixers), and before them Wilt (Philadelphia/LA), Bill Russell (Celtics), Bob Cousy (Celtics), Jerry West (Lakers), and the Big O (Milwaukee).

Look at the cards of Hakeem Olajuwon (two titles, but not in a major market), or Karl Malone (no titles, small market), or Patrick Ewing (no titles, big market) to see what is in store for the value of Davis' cards unless he wins a bunch of titles with a famous/big-market team.[/QUOTE]

While that is true, you also have guys that sell very well like Durant, Westbrook and Kevin love, who play in small market teams

ashear 12-02-2012 01:24 AM

Umm... Houston is the tenth biggest market in this country.. Hakeem isn't that popular because his game didn't have a lot of flash and he played in an era with Michael Jordan. He also won his titles the years Jordan was off playing baseball so many people don't give the Rockets a ton of respect for winning then.

As far as Davis goes, his game reminds me a lot of Kevin Garnett's. KG has always had decent value, but I'd agree it's better to sell Unibrow stuff now then hold it.

mfw13 12-02-2012 02:12 AM

[QUOTE=1eyed_jack;3738541]While that is true, you also have guys that sell very well like Durant, Westbrook and Kevin love, who play in small market teams[/QUOTE]

They sell well now, because they are still active players. But unless they win multiple titles with a big-market team (Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks/Nets, Heat), they will be quickly forgotten once they retire.

mrlaker 12-02-2012 04:41 AM

look at dwight howard for pretty much the ceiling on modern big man collectibility.

oldgoldy97 12-08-2012 05:54 PM

Didn't play again yesterday. Ceiling? Duncan. Seeming reality? Oden.

Zacy87 12-08-2012 06:07 PM

If he blocks shots like he did in college, he can be one of the better guys in the hobby. Health, of course is the biggest factor

rauchand 12-08-2012 06:12 PM

I just sold my HRX auto for $600. Kyrie went for $550, so I was pretty happy. Will be upset if he ends up tearing it up, but didn't want to risk it.

Orangejello727 12-08-2012 06:23 PM

I think AD will stink it up. No hobby popularity in the future.

puregreen5 12-08-2012 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=rauchand;3778539]I just sold my HRX auto for $600. Kyrie went for $550, so I was pretty happy. Will be upset if he ends up tearing it up, but didn't want to risk it.[/QUOTE]

Kyrie is the best player by far!

1eyed_jack 12-08-2012 06:28 PM

Yeah, I ended up trading my Prizm Davis auto for a Prizm Kobe auto, very happy with that trade

Kosmo Kards 12-08-2012 08:29 PM

He's a good defensive player, but I just don't see him being an elite superstar and him retaining his value. I would sell.