Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #401 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
So you think Kobe Bryant is as famous as Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson around the world?

Are you kidding?

My Grandfather is 98 and I'm pretty sure he will have heard of Jordan and Michael Jackson. I can guarantee you he'll have no idea who Kobe Bryant is.

Same goes for my entire family, in fact.

Kobe is definitely famous but nowhere near Jordan's level.
maybe not to jordan's level, but he is very well known internationally. Easily the most well known current player
1eyed_jack is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #402 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
who agreed with you? no one. he's arguing something completely different

oh by the way the cavs were 19-11 against west teams while the lakers were 14-16 against east teams.

hmm i would think those numbers would be the other way around since the east conference was soooooo easy!
No reply Burt?

I thought Kobe would have won 3 Mvps if he played in the east and the lakers would have easily dominated the eastern conference.

But wait why did try only have a 14-16 record to such a weak conference?
murrke03 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #403 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,251
Default

Funny how this became Kobe vs Lebron....if that's a debate you know he is t the GOAT
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.
bdoody42 is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #404 (permalink)
Member
 
Dwade Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
you kidding me? kobe is more famous overseas than he is here. look it up, dude gets absolutely mobbed whenever he is out of the country. he needs private security detail in most countries. did you not see the circus around him over the summer in the olympics?
I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT OVERSEAS........ I'm freaking talking about countries that have no freaking idea about basketball, baseball, football or hockey. For example, Michael Jordan is a name that would be known in countries like India. They might not know any other basketball player, but they will know Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson = GLOBAL ICONS.
__________________
Collecting Lebron James 03-04 Autos/Michael Jordan Bulls Autos
No reasonable offers declined, love to work with fellow collectors
My sale thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/768733-fs-high-end-lebron-mj-autos.html

Last edited by Dwade Collector; 12-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Dwade Collector is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #405 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade Collector View Post
I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT OVERSEAS........ I'm freaking talking about countries that have no freaking idea about basketball, baseball, football or hockey. For example, Michael Jordan is a name that would be known in countries like India. They might not know any other basketball player or team, but they will know Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. GLOBAL ICONS.
I mean there's no way to prove it obviously, but I think Kobe is a pretty recognizable name world wide
1eyed_jack is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #406 (permalink)
Member
 
Dwade Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
I mean there's no way to prove it obviously, but I think Kobe is a pretty recognizable name world wide
He is, but not on Jordan or Jackson's level. Any half decent NBA player can be known overseas, but to be known in a country that no nothing about the sport makes you an icon. Michael Jordan is an ICON
__________________
Collecting Lebron James 03-04 Autos/Michael Jordan Bulls Autos
No reasonable offers declined, love to work with fellow collectors
My sale thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/768733-fs-high-end-lebron-mj-autos.html
Dwade Collector is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #407 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade Collector View Post
He is, but not on Jordan or Jackson's level. Any half decent NBA player can be known overseas, but to be known in a country that no nothing about the sport makes you an icon. Michael Jordan is an ICON
but that's completely unprovable. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's a statement that's easy to make.

People in even poor areas with no sports know Jordan, they don't know Kobe.

How do you know?

You don't
1eyed_jack is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #408 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade Collector View Post
I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT OVERSEAS........ I'm freaking talking about countries that have no freaking idea about basketball, baseball, football or hockey. For example, Michael Jordan is a name that would be known in countries like India. They might not know any other basketball player, but they will know Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson = GLOBAL ICONS.
So are you saying India doesnt know about Kobe? But knows about MJ? How do you figure you know this for a fact?

Between China and India, you pretty much have more than 1/3 of the worlds population. Probably make up a good portion of poverty as well whereby people dont have access to media. So go on and tell me how you know some guy in a small village in India knows MJs name??

If you want a better argument, debate this.. In the 1980s and early 1990s, Most of Chinas and Indias population was poor. They couldnt afford TV, papers and most way to deliver media to them. That was during the time MJ played. By the time Kobe reached a decent global presence, India/China middle class had grown. They could now afford cars, tvs and western marketing. By this time in the past decade, Kobe was the man in the NBA. So if the NBA was on the minds of the middle class in India/china (which probably make up triple the size of total US population), they would have seen Kobe all over the place and some Lebron at the beginning.

But lets throw that out because it doesnt support a positive story for MJ. Go on!!

Last edited by Orangejello727; 12-10-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Orangejello727 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #409 (permalink)
Member
 
pac213up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,040
Default

Both guys are obviously very popular on the international level but it would be hard to reach Jordan's level just because of the marketing impact he had at that time. Nike, Gatorade, ect.
__________________
"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach
pac213up is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #410 (permalink)
Member
 
Dwade Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
So are you saying India doesnt know about Kobe? But knows about MJ? How do you figure you know this for a fact?

Between China and India, you pretty much have more than 1/3 of the worlds population. Probably make up a good portion of poverty as well whereby people dont have access to media. So go on and tell me how you know some guy in a small village in India knows MJs name??

If you want a better argument, debate this.. In the 1980s and early 1990s, Most of Chinas and Indias population was poor. They couldnt afford TV, papers and most way to deliver media to them. That was during the time MJ played. By the time Kobe reached a decent global presence, India/China middle class had grown. They could now afford cars, tvs and western marketing. By this time in the past decade, Kobe was the man in the NBA. So if the NBA was on the minds of the middle class in India/china (which probably make up triple the size of total US population), they would have seen Kobe all over the place and some Lebron at the beginning.

But lets throw that out because it doesnt support a positive story for MJ. Go on!!
EXACTLY, you would be freaking shocked! I have been to poor countries in South America where the name Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls was known!
__________________
Collecting Lebron James 03-04 Autos/Michael Jordan Bulls Autos
No reasonable offers declined, love to work with fellow collectors
My sale thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/768733-fs-high-end-lebron-mj-autos.html
Dwade Collector is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #411 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade Collector View Post
EXACTLY, you would be freaking shocked! I have been to poor countries in South America where the name Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls was known!
when did you go there? 1999?
1eyed_jack is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #412 (permalink)
Member
 
Dwade Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
when did you go there? 1999?
Aug 2010.......
__________________
Collecting Lebron James 03-04 Autos/Michael Jordan Bulls Autos
No reasonable offers declined, love to work with fellow collectors
My sale thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/768733-fs-high-end-lebron-mj-autos.html
Dwade Collector is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #413 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

And you asked them if they knew who jordan was, and if they knew who kobe was?
1eyed_jack is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #414 (permalink)
Member
 
Dwade Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
And you asked them if they knew who jordan was, and if they knew who kobe was?
They know nothing about basketball and it's not about basketball. 3 names that they know are Hulk Hogan, Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. This is beyond basketball
__________________
Collecting Lebron James 03-04 Autos/Michael Jordan Bulls Autos
No reasonable offers declined, love to work with fellow collectors
My sale thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/768733-fs-high-end-lebron-mj-autos.html
Dwade Collector is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #415 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade Collector View Post
EXACTLY, you would be freaking shocked! I have been to poor countries in South America where the name Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls was known!
Ive been to many countries where Kobe/Lebron are on commercials and posters for just about everything. Posters and commericials that were not available nor to be seen by many in the public as no money was needed to be spent on those too poor to buy. Now these poor people have income and money. If anything kobe/lebron is more advertised today than MJ ever was during his years of playing.

Time is playing a bigger factor than you could imagine in this debate.
Orangejello727 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #416 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade Collector View Post
They know nothing about basketball and it's not about basketball. 3 names that they know are Hulk Hogan, Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. This is beyond basketball
Thats a moot point. The name Justin Bieber is bigger than MJ/Hulk Hogan and Michael Jackson combined. Does it matter? Tennie boppers who dont watch basketball, wrestling dont care about them. They do however love the Biebs!!


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...o-big-in-china

Last edited by Orangejello727; 12-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Orangejello727 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #417 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Thats a moot point. The name Justin Bieber is bigger than MJ/Hulk Hogan and Michael Jackson combined. Does it matter? Tennie boppers who dont watch basketball, wrestling dont care about them. They do however love the Biebs!!


Kobe Bryant: Why the L.A. Lakers Star Is So Big in China | Bleacher Report
It's because they have the Bieber fever lol.
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.
bdoody42 is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #418 (permalink)
Member
 
pac213up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,040
Default

From a marketing perspective it is not really close.

Michael Jordan?s Endorsements Worth More Now Than At The Peak Of His Career | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

Michael Jordan earned $60 million last year - CBSSports.com

No one was branded like Jordan.
__________________
"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach
pac213up is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #419 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,251
Default

Jordan probably has the most sponsors, endorsements and branding of any athlete ever but that doesn't mean he was the best player. I do feel he is the best player ever, but that shouldn't really be part of the argument. Look at Cam Newton in the NFL. He has more commercials than any to her football player it seems like maybe besides Peyton, but no one argues him being the best player or even close.
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.
bdoody42 is online now  
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #420 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Back out his royalties for past deals and its not as much as reported. Same goes for his marketing worth.

Please dont mix that up with my notion of him not being marketable. I agree his name is worth $$.
Orangejello727 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.