Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
...and Bill Russell wasn't a great offensive player and yet still won 11 championship rings.

You're arguing yourself into a corner again.

I've watched pretty much all the existing footage of Bill Russell playing basketball. I have spent a small fortune purchasing rare Bill Russell footage, game film, interviews, magazines, articles, newspapers and so on.

Not sure what else I can do to have an informed opinion on the man.
But offense doesn't define championships right? All about that defense...
"Russell won games (and championships) because of his off-the-charts defense, rebounding, teamplay and leadership"

I'm not discrediting him, simply said "IF he played in today's NBA, he would not have 11 titles and would not be a HOF'er."
Just playing the IF game.

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
But offense doesn't define championships right? All about that defense...
"Russell won games (and championships) because of his off-the-charts defense, rebounding, teamplay and leadership"
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make; you need both offense and defense to win championships. It's rare to win with just one rather than the other. Meanwhile, to win 11 championships, you clearly need to be proficient at both. Russell wasn't an elite scorer, but he wasn't a liability either, clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
I'm not discrediting him, simply said "IF he played in today's NBA, he would not have 11 titles and would not be a HOF'er."
Just playing the IF game.
You are 100% discrediting him. That's precisely what you're doing. You have gone out of your way to say that he played against smaller centers (which is incorrect) and belittled his FG% while suggesting that he wouldn't be a superstar in today's NBA.

Well, likewise, there's no way of knowing how Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or LeBron James might perform in the NBA in 2060.

All you can do is beat the players put in front of you.

Bill Russell did that better than anyone, ever.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #178 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Its pretty simple when you take a players over all career accomplishment into factor. Are you suggesting that Kobe was riding the coat tail of Shaq when he won 2 more rings without him? lol
Only you in your little world would think I was suggesting that. Lol what's a stupid question.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #179 (permalink)

I've posted and read way too much about this on Realgm to get too into where kobe ranks all time. Personally I put him in the 7-10 and I'm a huge laker fan. Kobe has managed to sustain a pretty high peak for long period of time, while most others don't have longevity Kobe did but had periods of dominance exceeding kobe's best imo.

To me Kobe is tied with magic for the best Laker ever. I am not talking about player dominance, because when it comes to that it's clear to me that KAJ surpassed KB and most likely Magic, but as far as taking everything in as a whole it's Kobe and Magic, and to be honest I don't think you can choose one over the other.

Simply put, argueably KAJ's best years weren't even on the lakers, nor did he ever have the wide appeal of either Magic nor Kobe, not that he cared too. When I think Lakers I instantly think Kobe and Magic, KAJ and Shaq are secondary and I think that's part of what defines "the greatest ever" of a franchise.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #180 (permalink)
Banned

Who else remembers how average the lakers were after shaq left and it was just Kobe?

Goat lol
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #181 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaker View Post
I've posted and read way too much about this on Realgm to get too into where kobe ranks all time. Personally I put him in the 7-10 and I'm a huge laker fan. Kobe has managed to sustain a pretty high peak for long period of time, while most others don't have longevity Kobe did but had periods of dominance exceeding kobe's best imo.

To me Kobe is tied with magic for the best Laker ever. I am not talking about player dominance, because when it comes to that it's clear to me that KAJ surpassed KB and most likely Magic, but as far as taking everything in as a whole it's Kobe and Magic, and to be honest I don't think you can choose one over the other.

Simply put, argueably KAJ's best years weren't even on the lakers, nor did he ever have the wide appeal of either Magic nor Kobe, not that he cared too. When I think Lakers I instantly think Kobe and Magic, KAJ and Shaq are secondary and I think that's part of what defines "the greatest ever" of a franchise.
Voice of reason.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #182 (permalink)

Orangejello has left after many people have discredited his opinion along with MikeMambas opinion.

No one argued Kobe is great, just obviously not the GOAT in anyway!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #183 (permalink)

Love Kobe, my favorite player and top 5 in my book but not greatest Laker of all time.

Top 5 all time:

Jordan
Magic
Kareem
Russell
Kobe
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo Kards View Post
Love Kobe, my favorite player and top 5 in my book but not greatest Laker of all time.

Top 5 all time:

Jordan
Magic
Kareem
Russell
Kobe
Loving a non bias fan
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #185 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
Orangejello has left after many people have discredited his opinion along with MikeMambas opinion.

No one argued Kobe is great, just obviously not the GOAT in anyway!
No one left. Some of us have lives. That includes a 3 hr commute home on a friday night.

How do you discredit an opinion? I think blue is the best colour. You going to trying and discredit that as well Einstein?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
No one left. Some of us have lives. That includes a 3 hr commute home on a friday night.

How do you discredit an opinion? I think blue is the best colour. You going to trying and discredit that as well Einstein?
Just showing off a narrow mind with commons like that.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Just showing off a narrow mind with commons like that.
If I say all women belong in a kitchen and shouldn't have rights, that is also an opinion. I dont have the before mentioned opinion btw, Obviously it is a ridiculous opinion..... Like saying Kobe is the GOAT.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #188 (permalink)
Banned

Lucky for oj he can't be proved 100% wrong in this case because it deals with opinions.

That is why he hasn't dipped yet. hahahahha
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #189 (permalink)
Banned

If you say Kobe is the best laker ever, you're wrong. Magic/Kareem is.
If you say he isn't, you're wrong. He is.

Moral: Don't post on the Internet.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
Lucky for oj he can't be proved 100% wrong in this case because it deals with opinions.

That is why he hasn't dipped yet. hahahahha
He has to know he is wrong.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Magic is the best Laker ever IMO
totally disagree
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #192 (permalink)
Banned

To the guy posting about how Magic won 5 titles in 13 years and kobe won 5 in 16 years. how is that a huge factor?

Being an elite player is about winning and playing great. Magic won the same as Kobe, but Kobe was/is able to stay a dominating player much longer than Magic.

Are you telling me a guy who win 3 championships that plays only 5 years is better than a guy who wins 3 championships, but plays 18 years and is a great player throughout?

Longevity is underratted in my opinion. There are lots of players that were elite for a period of time, but not many who sustained that.

Allen Iverson (a former MVP) came out the same year as Kobe and was an amazing player for 12 or so seasons, Kobe is in his 17th season and still one of the best in the game. Surely that means something
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #193 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
To the guy posting about how Magic won 5 titles in 13 years and kobe won 5 in 16 years. how is that a huge factor?

Being an elite player is about winning and playing great. Magic won the same as Kobe, but Kobe was/is able to stay a dominating player much longer than Magic.

Are you telling me a guy who win 3 championships that plays only 5 years is better than a guy who wins 3 championships, but plays 18 years and is a great player throughout?

Longevity is underratted in my opinion. There are lots of players that were elite for a period of time, but not many who sustained that.

Allen Iverson (a former MVP) came out the same year as Kobe and was an amazing player for 12 or so seasons, Kobe is in his 17th season and still one of the best in the game. Surely that means something
i think you are also underrating the effects of HIV...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #194 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
i think you are also underrating the effects of HIV...
I'm not, I'm not trying to be harsh, but you can't really take that into account. I look at it like a player whose career was cut short by injuries
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #195 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
I'm not, I'm not trying to be harsh, but you can't really take that into account. I look at it like a player whose career was cut short by injuries
i understand that and what you mean and I agree longevity is overlooked. but in the case of magic vs. kobe to say magic wasn't as great a player as kobe because of longevity is a little wrong/misinformed in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #196 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
i understand that and what you mean and I agree longevity is overlooked. but in the case of magic vs. kobe to say magic wasn't as great a player as kobe because of longevity is a little wrong/misinformed in my opinion.
Why though? I'm honestly asking.

I mean say Magic didn't get HIV, but rather broke his leg in a motorcycle accident, would you feel differently?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #197 (permalink)

Kobe is not greater than Magic or Kareem...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #198 (permalink)

All I read that was insane was the clown who said Magic was over blown because he got Aids.

Probably one of the worst, and the stupidest and ill informed things I have ever read on the interweb and that says a lot.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #199 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
All I read that was insane was the clown who said Magic was over blown because he got Aids.

Probably one of the worst, and the stupidest and ill informed things I have ever read on the interweb and that says a lot.
Lol that was the low point of the thread lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #200 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Lol that was the low point of the thread lol.
he never replied to my ask for cold hard proof.

i mean he said it was a 'fact' that he faked it.

crazy people on the internet
Closed Thread