Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjho852 View Post
How about John Stockton? I heard that he is great for TTM, but tough IP signer.
Unless they have changed their signing habits in recent years, I heard that Hakeem Olajuwon, Alonzo Mourning and Scottie Pippen are tough as well.
Ha major dick in person....serioulsy I live in his city and I have seen him now 4 times as he has came into my old work, and fast food joints. Dude turns away young kids even though he has boys, and is really rude in the way he does it.....comes off really arrogant.
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppper View Post
Ha major dick in person....serioulsy I live in his city and I have seen him now 4 times as he has came into my old work, and fast food joints. Dude turns away young kids even though he has boys, and is really rude in the way he does it.....comes off really arrogant.
It sucks that he is a dick but on the other hand I can see why most athletes do not want to sign. EBAY. There have been a few signings I have been too over the years and people will try and sell the items after they got them signed, also I have heard a couple guys talking at a card show where they have their kids try and go get stuff signed so then they can list it on ebay. (They think the person will not sign for adults but will sign for kids). It sucks but these athletes probaly would rather get paid to sign so the other people do not make money off their name. I can not say for sure but I would be willing to bet if there was no Ebay more athletes/celebrities would sign.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Yeah I used to see Dennis Scott at hawks games all the time and would ask for his auto. He would pick with me asking if I were selling them. I have got 100s of IP and TTM autos over the year and except for a handful of trades I have never sold any of them. They are all for the PC.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
It sucks that he is a dick but on the other hand I can see why most athletes do not want to sign. EBAY. There have been a few signings I have been too over the years and people will try and sell the items after they got them signed, also I have heard a couple guys talking at a card show where they have their kids try and go get stuff signed so then they can list it on ebay. (They think the person will not sign for adults but will sign for kids). It sucks but these athletes probaly would rather get paid to sign so the other people do not make money off their name. I can not say for sure but I would be willing to bet if there was no Ebay more athletes/celebrities would sign.
eh. If you're not going to sign for kids because you think they were put up to it by adults than you need to get the stick out of your ass.

I get they don't want people to make money off them like that, but it's their signature and 2 seconds of their time.

I think I heard Derrick Rose was charging $400 for one of his signings. That absolutely blows my mind. So if he sits at a table for 1 hour, he can probably sign for at least 120 people. That means he's making $48,000 in one hour. Absolutely disgusting if you ask me.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
eh. If you're not going to sign for kids because you think they were put up to it by adults than you need to get the stick out of your ass.

I get they don't want people to make money off them like that, but it's their signature and 2 seconds of their time.

I think I heard Derrick Rose was charging $400 for one of his signings. That absolutely blows my mind. So if he sits at a table for 1 hour, he can probably sign for at least 120 people. That means he's making $48,000 in one hour. Absolutely disgusting if you ask me.
With $400 (as of now), I think that I will look for someone else that is even more popular than him.
I would take my chance at one of Derrick Rose's "non-premium" certified autograph cards for probably less than this....
- HOF on-card autographs, and anything that catches my eyes
bjho852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjho852 View Post
With $400 (as of now), I think that I will look for someone else that is even more popular than him.
I would take my chance at one of Derrick Rose's "non-premium" certified autograph cards for probably less than this....
Yeah, I mean I understand athletes charging money for signings, but I don't think any athlete should charge more than $100
Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #32 (permalink)

Just a few years ago Dirk said he would never sign for a card company that made money off his autograph. Times have changed.

I mailed a card to Stockton in the early 90s. He returned it with a facsimile signed photo. He wouldn't sign in the mail then. I've heard he is terrible about signing through the mail and in person.

Last edited by fullmetal; 12-11-2012 at 01:41 PM.
fullmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I mean I understand athletes charging money for signings, but I don't think any athlete should charge more than $100
You must look at their alternative. What could they do with that hour? Could they film a commercial and make $50K? Could they spend the one free hour with family?

Each of us places a different price on time. That is why you shouldn't see a CEO taking out the trash. If you do, then there should be some ticked off shareholders.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Value-wise, it's kind of subjective in one way or another, but in general, yes, around $100 sounds right to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

It has happened, I have seen it locally. I also attended a Bobby Doerr signing and a few people got cards signed (it cost $20.00) then they had that card for sale at the same exact show for $50.00 (granted not one person bought their cards but still).

As far as Derrick rose goes, where do the athletes come up with prices? Is that what UD/topps paid him per auto so that is what they charge?
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
You must look at their alternative. What could they do with that hour? Could they film a commercial and make $50K? Could they spend the one free hour with family?

Each of us places a different price on time. That is why you shouldn't see a CEO taking out the trash. If you do, then there should be some ticked off shareholders.
I understand everyone's time is valuable, but look at how much Derrick Rose is making through salary and endorsements. He's obviously not strapped for cash. He plays off the "humble star" routine, but then charges $400 for 10 seconds of his time and an autograph.

And yes, I realize he probably doesn't set the price, but that doesn't mean he has no say in the matter
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand everyone's time is valuable, but look at how much Derrick Rose is making through salary and endorsements. He's obviously not strapped for cash. He plays off the "humble star" routine, but then charges $400 for 10 seconds of his time and an autograph.

And yes, I realize he probably doesn't set the price, but that doesn't mean he has no say in the matter
Tone the dollar amount to what you earn and put your perspective in the eyes of a homeless person. Think of what they are thinking and then think about what you require.

I'm not justifying anything, just stating that we each have a dollar worth to society and ourselves. We must work hard to raise that value. If I were worth the type of money that Rose makes I would live a lifestyle accordingly. From way down below in the money totem it is difficult to see, but it does make sense.

If you make $1000 per hour, then someone who wants an hour of your time should expect to compensate at that rate.

We don't know if he is strapped for cash. Most Americans live paycheck-to-paycheck no matter the amount they make. When you and I buy a $5 burger, he eats at a $100 appetizer restaurant. When you buy a $8 bottle of vodka, he buys a $200 bottle.

I can't fathom what it must be like to pay for something you really want for a fraction of a day's pay, when I must pay a multiple of day's pay.

Last edited by fullmetal; 12-11-2012 at 01:54 PM.
fullmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post

It is true too. Different people might place different values.
For me now though, *depending on the athlete*, with $400, I am *mostly* looking for more than just mailing an item, having it signed and mailed back to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Many tough signers mentioned here are star players in one way or another, which I totally understand, but how about lesser-known players that are tough on giving out "free" autographs?
I heard that Jalen Rose is one. Mark Jackson could be another. Thoughts?

p.s.
As of Kevin Garnett that many of you mentioned, I heard that he's already a tough one even in his high school years. He did sign sparingly in his early Wolves years (probably most of them during the team's fan meetings?), but has since been impossible (partly due to the Upper Deck exclusive contract?).