Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Fraser9698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: @FraserMemGroup
Posts: 3,749
Default NBA Draft scouting thread...

Figured since it's been kinda slow each of us could give an unbiased rundown of this years NBA prospects from out favorite college team.

PLEASEEEE try to be unbiased. I'll start with Kentucky.

Nerlens Noel - 6'10" 220 Will be a top 5 pick no matter what based upon his reputation. Super athletic, good hands, can handle and pass the ball great for someone his size. He is the quickest jumper I've ever seen and has amazing instincts on defense. His biggest attribute that nobody seems to notice is that he goes 100% all the time, dude is always diving on the floor and doing anything he can to win. He is also a good kid so you wont have any off the court issues. I think he will, in time, develop into a full time starter and all star caliber player. Right now he struggles finishing on anything other than a dunk, needs to get stronger, can't shoot, and bites on entirely too many pump fakes on defense. Fortunately all of this can be fixed with time and if he goes somewhere that gives him time to develop I think he will be a good if not great NBA player. I would say his ceiling is Tyson Chandler with more offense.

Archie Goodwin - 6'5" 210 I think he is a lottery guy. NBA ready. Can play both guard positions but I think he is more of a 2 than a 1. Has that killer instinct you look for in winning players. Great at finishing around the rim, penetrating, and knows when to settle for jumpshots. Jumper has a bit of a hitch but it seems to go in more often than not. He is a freakish athlete. He is out of control way too much, and has a tendency to turn the ball over trying to do too much. I think he is one of the rare players who will be much better in the NBA than he will ever be in college. Perfect comparison for him is Russell Westbrook, and I think he will be the best of this crop of UK guys in the NBA. If he goes to a decent sized market I will be buying him up.

Alex Poythress - 6'8" 235 He is also a lottery guy. Has all the ability in the world, capable of dunking on you or knocking down a 3. I think Alex is a huge gamble for whoever picks him, as it is in his nature to be soft. That's just the way it is, and he is one of those rare guys that shows no emotion and goes about 80% all the time. Cal says it's like having E'ore out there on the court. The kid is just a p*ssy in every facet of the game. I don't see him being any more than a bench player due to his lack of aggression, but if someone can figure out how to get him angry ---> watch out. But, I doubt it.

Willie Cauley Stein - 7'1" 245. I think right now he is a late first rounder. Great athlete with great hands and an above average handle for someone his size. Has one move in the low post that works about half the time. Needs to come back to college and would have a good chance at being a top 5 guy next year with another year working on low post moves and putting on some more strength.
Fraser9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,178
Default

My favorite team is UMaine....

Rumor is there black bear mascot could be drafted by the soon to be New Orleans Pelicans.

I will report back again to update you on how he performs in conference play.
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.
bdoody42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 1,513
Default

My favorite team is the Arizona Wildcats! I have media credentials for tonights game, Arizona Wildcats vs. Florida Gators! I will take pics of the game and post them latter from my phone. cheers, Ryan

Last edited by puregreen5; 12-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.
puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
ChaseSeib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,295
Default

My team is, obviously, illinois.

We have one big NBA scout by the name of Brandon Paul. 6'4 shooting guard. He has a great outside shot, and one of the best one on one players in the country, he can beat anyone off the dribble. I expect him to be a mid-late first round pick. Other than him we don't have much nba talent. Joseph Bertrand could be if he develops right.
__________________
Minnesota Twins, Fighting Illini basketball, and Klay Thompson
ChaseSeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
RedSoxFan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
My favorite team is UMaine....

Rumor is there black bear mascot could be drafted by the soon to be New Orleans Pelicans.

I will report back again to update you on how he performs in conference play.
UMaine!

The only athletes that UMaine produces are hockey and football, and not many of them
__________________
Baseball- Boston Red Sox, Football- New England Patriots, Basketball- Boston Celtics & OKC Thunder, Hockey- Boston Bruins
"I understand you live in Maine and idiocy,ignorance and stupidity is a part of daily life" - Gibberish (10/12/2012)
RedSoxFan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
UMaine!

The only athletes that UMaine produces are hockey and football, and not many of them
LoL that's why the Mascot looks so impressive. He has a chance lol.

UMaine for sure is hockey school first. Have produced a couple solid defensive nfl players. Basketball lets not talk about.
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.
bdoody42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,216
Default

My team is memphis

We always manage to get the highly ranked turds who can't play together and find ways to lose.

We have top 5 recruiting classes and by the time the draft comes around they are late first 2nd round players.

at least since Cal left.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
realreodeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,050
Default

I am not a fan of the college game but I guess U of M has some really good players. Many are sons of former pro ballers.
__________________
Piston 4 Life.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
SDcardguy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,256
Default

Watch out for Jamaal Franklin of SDSU!
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,245
Default

Im a huge Kansas fan and I really believe that Ben McLemore could make it into the lottery. Love his play style
CelticsFanatic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,254
Default

My favorite team is Maryland and have one viable NBA pick

Alex Len:
7'1 225 He has tremendous size and is a all around great player. His skills are good touch around the basket, great passer, has a outside shot, Amazing defender/shot blocker, and a good athlete for his size. The only negative is he needs to improve on his strength.

He will be somewhere in the top 10 and has a shot to go 1 if the right team gets the pick.
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregreen5 View Post
My favorite team is the Arizona Wildcats! I have media credentials for tonights game, Arizona Wildcats vs. Florida Gators! I will take pics of the game and post them latter from my phone. cheers, Ryan


Great game tonight! Arizona won 65-64, with Mark Lyons right handed layup at the end of regulation. Nick Johnson, Hill, Jerrett, also had good/great games for the Wildcats. Here are my pics from tonights game, sorry that they aren't the greatest:





puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 11,927
Default

Obviously Arizona is my team

Solomon Hill: Late first or second round pick - Versatile player who is kinda a jack of all trades, but he lacks the focus that I wish he would have, he can disappear for stretches and to me, it really kills what he is supposed to be to this team at times. He has the talent and ability to really lead this team, but for me he makes a few too many dumb mistakes. He'll be a solid rotational player at the next level because of his ability to do a little of everything.

Brandon Ashley: Future Lottery Pick - Will be a stud, is going to be a 2-3 year college player and then will be a very very good player in the NBA, just needs to grow into his body a little bit more. He is a very good rebounder, very active on the defensive end, and is great at finding ways to score around the basket.

Kaleb Tarczweski: Future Lottery Pick - Another stud who will be a starting center in the NBA after 2-4 years in college depending on how quickly he catches on. Legit 7-footer who has a nasty streak to him, loves contact and has a great feel for how to play on both ends of the floor. Still learning how to play with the quicker players at this level and can get out of position some times because of it, but he is just oozing with potential.

Grant Jerrett: Future First Round Pick - The third of our big 3 freshman frontcourt players, and is a 3-4 year player who by the end of his time in college will be one of the best natural 4's in the country. He has the ability to be a prototypical back to the basket 4 in the mold of a Tim Duncan style player, but also has the ability to hit the 3. Talks from insiders say he's actually been the best of the freshman in pre-season and practice, but is struggling a bit to adjust to games, which is saying something because he is still playing well.

Nick Johnson
: Future Late First-Second Round Pick - Only a sophomore, a guaranteed 4 year player because of his size, an elite 2 guard stuck in a PG's body, but if he can adjust to the size problem, could be a very good player in the NBA someday. He is a pitbull on defense, can jump out of the freaking gym (40"+ vertical), and has off the charts bball IQ. He is our best player right now and is the type of guy who could be a national player of the year as a senior, he's that good but his size hurt his NBA prospects.

Kevin Parrom: UDFA - Now he's the guy who I hope the most will make it to the NBA and be a solid player, but the one I fear the most won't be, but he's a very hard one to judge. Anyone who hasn't heard his story yet, really should go read it, but here is the quick version.

Going into last season his grandmother died in the summer, right at the start of the semester, his mother told him she had breast cancer (had been keeping it from him so he could focus on hoops and school) and asked Sean Miller if he could come home (from NYC) to visit her one last time before the year started. When he was back home, someone broke into his fathers apartment and shot him in the leg and hand and had no feeling from his knee down for a few weeks. Then about a month later his mother passed away. He worked his ass off to get back from the shooting to play his first game of the season back in Madison Square Garden at the preseason NIT but just wasn't himself all season before a season ending injury halfway through conference play.

Before the shooting, the argument could have been made that he was the best player on the team with Solomon Hill, and probably the best NBA prospect on last years squad beforehand too. But after, he just doesn't have the explosiveness that he had before, and understandably so, he's still admittedly not yet fully back to 100%. But on the court he is our emotional leader, a great defender, an above average rebounder, and outstanding at running the offense from the top of the key.

Mark Lyons: Hard for me to judge as I've only got to see him now for 8 games, but he is a VERY good college guard, just haven't seen enough of him to know if his game translates to the NBA well or not.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc

Last edited by zonacats8; 12-16-2012 at 02:30 AM.
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Obviously Arizona is my team

Solomon Hill: Late first or second round pick - Versatile player who is kinda a jack of all trades, but he lacks the focus that I wish he would have, he can disappear for stretches and to me, it really kills what he is supposed to be to this team at times. He has the talent and ability to really lead this team, but for me he makes a few too many dumb mistakes. He'll be a solid rotational player at the next level because of his ability to do a little of everything.

Brandon Ashley: Future Lottery Pick - Will be a stud, is going to be a 2-3 year college player and then will be a very very good player in the NBA, just needs to grow into his body a little bit more. He is a very good rebounder, very active on the defensive end, and is great at finding ways to score around the basket.

Kaleb Tarczweski: Future Lottery Pick - Another stud who will be a starting center in the NBA after 2-4 years in college depending on how quickly he catches on. Legit 7-footer who has a nasty streak to him, loves contact and has a great feel for how to play on both ends of the floor. Still learning how to play with the quicker players at this level and can get out of position some times because of it, but he is just oozing with potential.

Grant Jerrett: Future First Round Pick - The third of our big 3 freshman frontcourt players, and is a 3-4 year player who by the end of his time in college will be one of the best natural 4's in the country. He has the ability to be a prototypical back to the basket 4 in the mold of a Tim Duncan style player, but also has the ability to hit the 3. Talks from insiders say he's actually been the best of the freshman in pre-season and practice, but is struggling a bit to adjust to games, which is saying something because he is still playing well.

Nick Johnson
: Future Late First-Second Round Pick - Only a sophomore, a guaranteed 4 year player because of his size, an elite 2 guard stuck in a PG's body, but if he can adjust to the size problem, could be a very good player in the NBA someday. He is a pitbull on defense, can jump out of the freaking gym (40"+ vertical), and has off the charts bball IQ. He is our best player right now and is the type of guy who could be a national player of the year as a senior, he's that good but his size hurt his NBA prospects.

Kevin Parrom: UDFA - Now he's the guy who I hope the most will make it to the NBA and be a solid player, but the one I fear the most won't be, but he's a very hard one to judge. Anyone who hasn't heard his story yet, really should go read it, but here is the quick version.

Going into last season his grandmother died in the summer, right at the start of the semester, his mother told him she had breast cancer (had been keeping it from him so he could focus on hoops and school) and asked Sean Miller if he could come home (from NYC) to visit her one last time before the year started. When he was back home, someone broke into his fathers apartment and shot him in the leg and hand and had no feeling from his knee down for a few weeks. Then about a month later his mother passed away. He worked his ass off to get back from the shooting to play his first game of the season back in Madison Square Garden at the preseason NIT but just wasn't himself all season before a season ending injury halfway through conference play.

Before the shooting, the argument could have been made that he was the best player on the team with Solomon Hill, and probably the best NBA prospect on last years squad beforehand too. But after, he just doesn't have the explosiveness that he had before, and understandably so, he's still admittedly not yet fully back to 100%. But on the court he is our emotional leader, a great defender, an above average rebounder, and outstanding at running the offense from the top of the key.

Mark Lyons: Hard for me to judge as I've only got to see him now for 8 games, but he is a VERY good college guard, just haven't seen enough of him to know if his game translates to the NBA well or not.
A Rockets scout that I was sitting next to, likes Hill as well.

Kaleb Tarczweski: Reminds me of Meyers Leonard as a Freshman.
Grant Jerrett: Reminds me a lot of Brian Cook in College
Brandon Ashley: Reminds me of a young Antwan Jamison
Patrick Young: looks like J.J. Hickson, but doesn't play like him, he has a nice baby hook though and could become a good pro defender (amazing body like Dwight Howards)
Erik Murphy: plays like how Troy Murphy use to at Notre Dame
Nick Johnson : is like a mix of players in the NBA, Shannon Brown, Jared Cunningham with a bit of Delonte West (College only)
Mark Lyons: will make the NBA oneday, he is kind of like Maalik Wayns (might not get Drafted, but will make the NBA)
Parrom: I thought he would have been a late First Rounder, if he never got shot. Sad story, if he ever recovers 100% he might have a NBA job (a career in Europe isn't so bad, making $100,000+ per year)

Last edited by puregreen5; 12-16-2012 at 03:17 AM.
puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 11,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregreen5 View Post
A Rockets scout that I was sitting next to, likes Hill as well.
Really my biggest problem with him is that he is a really good player, but sometimes he thinks he's the second coming and does stuff that he shouldn't and it really pisses me off with him for some reason.

Actually the reason is probably because his dad used to post on my Arizona boards when he first came here and was the most arrogant person ever. Didn't think Hill would need more than 2 years in school, was talking crap about lance Stephenson and how Hill was so much better than him and other stuff.

Ever since, whenever he tries stuff that there's no way he could actually do it, it pisses me off even more than with anyone else
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
nateadams2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 1,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
My favorite team is UMaine....

Rumor is there black bear mascot could be drafted by the soon to be New Orleans Pelicans.

I will report back again to update you on how he performs in conference play.
hahahahahaha. Seriously. Thank you for that post. That made me laugh for a good three to four minutes for some reason. The "I will report back again to update you on how he performs in conference play" was priceless. I nominate this for best post of the month. haha
__________________
Carmelo Anthony collector........
Always looking for 1/1's, Jersey #'d, Autos, Patches
Now collecting both KNICKS and NUGGETS uni cards
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Junior Griffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,362
Default

My team is Michigan. Trey Burke is the best PG in college ball. Tim Hardaway Jr. Is a future NBA player. We have a lot of freshmen on the team, but Glenn Robinson III should be an NBA player too. Maybe Mitch McGary also. Derrick Walton coming in next year is going to be solid too. It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine!
__________________
Collecting University of Michigan alum 1/1's in football and basketball. I also collect Ken Griffey Jr. autos, Chicago Blackhawks, and Kobe Bryant autos.
Junior Griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
UltimateDeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Griffey View Post
My team is Michigan. Trey Burke is the best PG in college ball. Tim Hardaway Jr. Is a future NBA player. We have a lot of freshmen on the team, but Glenn Robinson III should be an NBA player too. Maybe Mitch McGary also. Derrick Walton coming in next year is going to be solid too. It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine!
Glenn Robinoson is actually the best pro prospect Michigan has.

2013 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net
__________________
I collect Deron Williams, Eric Gordon, and Derrick Rose.
Photobucket: http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll436/ultimate_deron/
UltimateDeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Junior Griffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,362
Default

I realize he has the highest ceiling. I was just going off of play through the year so far. Burke is the best player on the team right now. GRIII is going to be a beast though.
__________________
Collecting University of Michigan alum 1/1's in football and basketball. I also collect Ken Griffey Jr. autos, Chicago Blackhawks, and Kobe Bryant autos.
Junior Griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateadams2 View Post
hahahahahaha. Seriously. Thank you for that post. That made me laugh for a good three to four minutes for some reason. The "I will report back again to update you on how he performs in conference play" was priceless. I nominate this for best post of the month. haha
When it comes to an NBA level talent.... The mascot is about all we got.
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.

Last edited by bdoody42; 12-16-2012 at 04:00 PM.
bdoody42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
pnft17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efish44 View Post
My favorite team is Maryland and have one viable NBA pick

Alex Len:
7'1 225 He has tremendous size and is a all around great player. His skills are good touch around the basket, great passer, has a outside shot, Amazing defender/shot blocker, and a good athlete for his size. The only negative is he needs to improve on his strength.

He will be somewhere in the top 10 and has a shot to go 1 if the right team gets the pick.
Wells will also get picked in first round.

Freshmen class now will have couple NBA players in it. Shaq will be a functional NBA player. Layman needs to find his shot but has a chance once he gets stronger.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
efish44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
Wells will also get picked in first round.

Freshmen class now will have couple NBA players in it. Shaq will be a functional NBA player. Layman needs to find his shot but has a chance once he gets stronger.
I think Wells will go in the 2nd round. Hopefully, he stays one more year and then his stock will rise higher and the Terps can keep him.
__________________
I collect football and some basketball. I love all DC teams and the Orioles FEAR THE TURTLE Hail to the Redskins
Looking for: 2011 inception red autos /25 35 of 36 (97%) Need: Julio Jones
Photobucket: http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/efish44/
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Watch out for Jamaal Franklin of SDSU!
Anthony Bennett of UNLV! Kid is a beastttttttttt. Should go top 5.
ballahollic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgia (USA)
Posts: 1,610
Default

I don't have a favorite college basketball team per se but living in the Atlanta area I do somewhat follow GA Tech. Unfortunately they have no prospects for the NBA this year and I don't see anyone currently on their roster who has a chance of making the NBA.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,724
Default

my team, iowa state might have one this year, likely 2nd rounder though in Will Clyburn.

Its sad to see the Royce White Rockets situation spiraling out of control
howethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.