Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012-2013 College Basketball Thread

I didn't see one of these already, and I thought today would be as good a day as any to start this. I don't usually start watching college ball until February other than Michigan, but with them being so good this year I've paid more attention all around than usual.

Today's Indiana - Butler game was the best college basketball game of the year, and Arizona beat Florida in another top 10 matchup. What better time than now to start an all inclusive college thread?

Go Blue!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

It looks like Indiana and dook are going to be the two best teams this year. My Heels having some growing pains after losing everyone this past summer. Should be a fun year all around. I am ready for conference play to get going.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dunno if im sold on IU as being a top 2 team...

their schedule hasnt really been hard yet and doesnt seem to be anywhere close until 2nd half of the season...i mean Georgetown took them into OT, and they just got beat by Butler...the only impressive showing was a whoopin on UNC.

Florida is looking really solid already, except for the last 2 minutes of last nights game....they destroyed a preseason ranked Wisci, destroyed a solid Marquette, and dominated most of the game last night against AZ
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
I dunno if im sold on IU as being a top 2 team...

their schedule hasnt really been hard yet and doesnt seem to be anywhere close until 2nd half of the season...i mean Georgetown took them into OT, and they just got beat by Butler...the only impressive showing was a whoopin on UNC.

Florida is looking really solid already, except for the last 2 minutes of last nights game....they destroyed a preseason ranked Wisci, destroyed a solid Marquette, and dominated most of the game last night against AZ
IU is going to have the same issues they had last year.

Florida blew it last night. For the life of me can't figure out why Donovan didn't use his last TO.
Fraser9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't consider Indiana a number one team either. If they want to play better, Zeller will need to put on some muscle and demand the ball more. At this point the only team that has really stood out to me is Michigan.
Quigley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's Duke and Michigan and then everybody else so far for me. Duke has had a really tough schedule so far and has beaten 3 teams that were ranked in the top 5 when they played. Michigan hasn't had a tough schedule, but they've beaten some really solid teams in NC State, Pitt, West Virginia. They've also not really had any close games. They've had some rough stretches during games, but that can be attributed to the freshmen. I'm excited to see what they can do against OSU and Indiana in Big Ten play. They have the bigs to contain Zeller.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

There appears to have been one of those "lightbulb switching on" moments that took place for KU a week ago because they have looked like a complete team the past two games.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Arizona baby!!!!!

And I wouldn't say Florida dominated the game until the end, they never had more than an 11 point lead, was a 5-7 point game most of the night, that's not dominating
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Arizona/Florida game was a great one to watch. UF didn't dominate, but they definitely had the game in control in the 2nd half...until the last minute or so! UL won in a hostile environment, they clamped down on defense in the 2nd half and finally started hitting some shots. The lack of outside shooting will be their undoing this year I am afraid.

KCCO!!
timfsu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Arizona baby!!!!!

And I wouldn't say Florida dominated the game until the end, they never had more than an 11 point lead, was a 5-7 point game most of the night, that's not dominating
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfsu2k View Post
The Arizona/Florida game was a great one to watch. UF didn't dominate, but they definitely had the game in control in the 2nd half...until the last minute or so! UL won in a hostile environment, they clamped down on defense in the 2nd half and finally started hitting some shots. The lack of outside shooting will be their undoing this year I am afraid.
Dominate..in control...is there a difference?

its especially laughable that you say they didnt dominate because there was never more than an 11 point lead...easy there HOMER

FLA was IN CONTROL of the game for everything but the final 2 minutes...they had several 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 point leads throughout the game...

did they fall apart in the final few minutes? yes they did, epically...but to say Fla didnt dominate (with anywhere from a 5-11 point lead the whole game) is laughable at best especially coming form a homer. ANd im not even a Fla fan...

I also find it quite hilarious...that you chimed in on this thread trying to state Arizona is a top team...

who exactly have they beat again??

so because they dug in and won in the final few minutes last night...they are elite? LMAO

best team they have played so far was who..Clemson? and really..who do they play the rest of the year? Stanford? gotcha

Fla on the other hand..as i said, blew out a ranked Wisci, a solid Marquette team...and had the game in control last night

but your right..AZ is a top notch level team
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow, taking this pretty seriously aren't you? To me, dominating the game means that the other team was out of it entirely. Having a 5-11 point lead is not dominating. Did you look at the box score? Florida did not dominate this game. Won rebounding by 6, had half as many steals, one more assist, and had four more turnovers than Arizona. Doesn't sound like a dominating performance to me. Bottom line, Florida lost a game that they were "in control" of for most of the game. Look at my username, you think this is coming from a Florida fan??

KCCO!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Also, I think Florida will flame out in the NCAA tournament. Playing in a laughable conference will not do them any favors when preparing for the Big Dance.

KCCO!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Dominate..in control...is there a difference?

its especially laughable that you say they didnt dominate because there was never more than an 11 point lead...easy there HOMER

FLA was IN CONTROL of the game for everything but the final 2 minutes...they had several 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 point leads throughout the game...

did they fall apart in the final few minutes? yes they did, epically...but to say Fla didnt dominate (with anywhere from a 5-11 point lead the whole game) is laughable at best especially coming form a homer. ANd im not even a Fla fan...

I also find it quite hilarious...that you chimed in on this thread trying to state Arizona is a top team...

who exactly have they beat again??

so because they dug in and won in the final few minutes last night...they are elite? LMAO

best team they have played so far was who..Clemson? and really..who do they play the rest of the year? Stanford? gotcha

Fla on the other hand..as i said, blew out a ranked Wisci, a solid Marquette team...and had the game in control last night

but your right..AZ is a top notch level team
Domination isn't beating a team by 5-7 points for most of the game, they jumped out to the lead and then it was an even game with the score not really moving, they were only "in control" because they had a lead and it didn't waver, but they also never extended the lead, that would have been dominating.

WE BEAT FLORIDA

I don't care if you think we should have lost the game or not, but we beat them, and they are a final four caliber team, if we weren't a elite team then we wouldn't have been able to keep it close enough to have a shot to win, and we sure as hell wouldn't have won the game.

You're a tool if you honestly think those things about this Arizona team, were only going to get better as the front court freshman gain experience as the year moves along

See you in Atlanta
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Domination isn't beating a team by 5-7 points for most of the game, they jumped out to the lead and then it was an even game with the score not really moving, they were only "in control" because they had a lead and it didn't waver, but they also never extended the lead, that would have been dominating.

WE BEAT FLORIDA

I don't care if you think we should have lost the game or not, but we beat them, and they are a final four caliber team, if we weren't a elite team then we wouldn't have been able to keep it close enough to have a shot to win, and we sure as hell wouldn't have won the game.

You're a tool if you honestly think those things about this Arizona team, were only going to get better as the front court freshman gain experience as the year moves along

See you in Atlanta
ok look..your a homer i get it...i said im not even a Florida fan, but had $$ on the game so kept up with it...

your changing your arguments completely now...

first the lead never got past 11 points...now, they jumped out to a lead and it was an even game with the score not moving...

to even furthering your homer attitude by saying the lead was never extended??

13:35 1st half Fla 16-9....4:53 1st half Fla 27-17 (uh oh 10 point lead..howd they increase that lead?? )...4:04 1st half Fla 30-19 (uh oh not another +1 increase in the lead..u said they didnt )...AZ ended 1st half on a run to be down by 4 at Half...

14:05 2nd Half Fla 49-39...oh no another 10 point lead, increased from the 4 at Half..

see where im going here?? your arguments invalidate each other

and yes..im sorry..they dominated that game...had control of that game..same difference...

maybe you are thinking i said they were "routing" them..or "running them off the court"..whcih i didnt..because the lead never got that big...but a 7-11 point lead to me is dominating.

Did AZ play incredible in the last 2 minutes to pull of a win? Yes..they did..i never said otherwise.

But your nothing but a complete ignorant homer...if you think because AZ won 1 game against a high ranked team...in the last 2 minutes...while not having played anybody else quality this season or on the rest of their schedule..makes them eilite
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think if you dominate a team you would be up by more than a maximum of 11 points. When I think of damnation I think of like 20 plus.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
ok look..your a homer i get it...i said im not even a Florida fan, but had $$ on the game so kept up with it...

first the lead never got past 11 points...now, they jumped out to a lead and it was an even game with the score not moving...

13:35 1st half Fla 16-9....4:53 1st half Fla 27-17 (uh oh 10 point lead..howd they increase that lead?? )...4:04 1st half Fla 30-19 (uh oh not another +1 increase in the lead..u said they didnt )...AZ ended 1st half on a run to be down by 4 at Half...

14:05 2nd Half Fla 49-39...oh no another 10 point lead, increased from the 4 at Half..

and yes..im sorry..they dominated that game...had control of that game..same difference...

maybe you are thinking i said they were "routing" them..or "running them off the court"..whcih i didnt..because the lead never got that big...but a 7-11 point lead to me is dominating.

Did AZ play incredible in the last 2 minutes to pull of a win? Yes..they did..i never said otherwise.

But your nothing but a complete ignorant homer...if you think because AZ won 1 game against a high ranked team...in the last 2 minutes...while not having played anybody else quality this season or on the rest of their schedule..makes them eilite
LOL

Do you really consider going from a 10 to 11 point lead increasing it in the grand scheme of things?

We cut it to 3-4 a couple times, they had it at 9-11 a couple as well, but the majority of the game it was a 5-7 point game with the teams trading baskets.

I think it's absolutely hilarious to say that Florida dominated the game and that sir is the most absurd statement in this thread (do you not see how everyone else is agreeing with me and not you, or how about EVERY publication calling Arizona an Elite and FF caliber team?)

Obviously a team will increase its lead anytime a bucket is scored, it's a physical impossibility for the difference in score to never Chang unless nobody is scoring, but small 3-5 point fluctuations throughout a game isn't increasing a lead or cutting into a deficit, it's called playing a close basketball game.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Giving this a bump after an interesting day of college ball. Cuse loses. OSU loses, Illinois loses their first game of the year and Florida lost.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

It's way too early in yet another parity-driven season.

Creighton may surprise people.

We'll see another non-BCS school in the Elite 8 this year.

What drives me nuts is the SUCKY SEC basketball teams.
Their FB teams are pretty much the reason why we're having this whole conference realignment crap.

You'd think their BK teams would be just as good!
UK FB sucks; BK great.
Bama BK sucks; FB great.

The only SEC team that has balance between FB and BK is Florida.
77ncaachamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

I don't really watch College Basketball until about February...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

Still don't think we're "elite" again?

Can't wait to go to Atlanta this year

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Big game tomorrow...GO CARDS!!!!

KCCO!!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Trey Burke is the best PG in college basketball thus far.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Tonight, Minnesota beat Michigan St., NC State blew out a mid major. Indiana only beat Iowa by 4, and Gonzaga barely beat Okie St. Michigan opens Big Ten play on Thursday against Northwestern.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

Bumping this up...Michigan has a chance to be #1 in the country if they can beat Purdue tonight at home and Illinois on the road Sunday. Minnesota and Butler also lost tonight.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

Can't wait for the Arizona-UCLA game, 9 ET on ESPN2 I think, highly recommend checking it out, it's a white-out, the atmosphere is going to be crazy.

I flew out there for the white out last year and it was easily the best home game (atmosphere wise) that I've ever been to, and I was at all of them from 04-09.