Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,631
Default

Panini Prizm is considered product of the year . The retro have iconic and the nostalgic feeling to it. When we were younger. But the price of a box for an amateur product is just really sad. Thats why i still consider Prizm as the product of the year. Panini basketball have NBA uniforms. Others cant have it so its really sad.
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,631
Default

To answer the question. Its more expensive because all the should be considered a rookie card because of the high school or college uniform. SERIOUSLY
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
Lol I'm sorry but your use of "economic evidence" is completely unscientific and anecdotal at best. If you're good at predicting whether prices double or triple in the future, you're better off picking stocks with your degree than making calls on basketball cards.

Well it comes down to demand, and we have seen Strong demand. In the long run supply will be constricted so price will go higher. I could draw a bunch of supply and demand curves intersecting but I have better stuff to do.
Forexample, lets look at the supply and demand of twinkies. There is a constant demand of people who still eat twinkies. now that the supply is cut off the price rises. I dont understand what you dont understand about it?
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Panini Prizm is considered product of the year . The retro have iconic and the nostalgic feeling to it. When we were younger. But the price of a box for an amateur product is just really sad. Thats why i still consider Prizm as the product of the year. Panini basketball have NBA uniforms. Others cant have it so its really sad.
PMG came out last year, and now their prices are 10k plus for stars. The whole concept that its retro or nostalgic is a marketing point. It became a hit and the demand for them were able to draw up the prices.

What makes people think that Prizm Golds will not reach those prices. Its the same thing, except they came out this year. They are considered a hit. Every other post on here is about Prizms. If PMG have the economic equation of prices that high, than so does panini prizm. Especially since they are not the liscenced maker of nba memorabilia
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Well it comes down to demand, and we have seen Strong demand. In the long run supply will be constricted so price will go higher. I could draw a bunch of supply and demand curves intersecting but I have better stuff to do.
Forexample, lets look at the supply and demand of twinkies. There is a constant demand of people who still eat twinkies. now that the supply is cut off the price rises. I dont understand what you dont understand about it?

A Jeremy Lamb #1/10 sold for $449.44, hes not even a starter yet for the Thunder! These Prizm's are getting hotter and hotter!
puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,902
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Better grab them before they all dry up lol
__________________
http://www.finalsmvp.com/

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregreen5 View Post
A Jeremy Lamb #1/10 sold for $449.44, hes not even a starter yet for the Thunder! These Prizm's are getting hotter and hotter!
Yeah, the rookies and second year guys are crazy. You can make money fast flipping them but in the long run u are taking a risk for them to perform to hold up their values. If they dont perform, than your card can lose value fast since demand is linked to his performance. Again if you are skilled in buyin low or know who will be good than your risk is lower. That Drummond guy and Lillard went for sick prices.

Last edited by SocraticGoat777; 12-28-2012 at 07:57 PM.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,716
Default

Don't put them on the table might burn thru
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,631
Default

Also don't put them side to side. Its very embarrassing to have a lebron rookie card beside a Golden one. Lol. I used to love upper deck. But they Upper deck could only offer rookie cards now. I already have lots of those.
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

The PMG just came out last year, and lebron goes for 10k. What does this tell you about the rookie value of card? Why would anyone even buy a rookie card in hopes that the player becomes a great? It seems that the year or age of the card does not matter like it used to. Whatever Fleer or Panini makes that is a "hit" will go up in value. So I just dont get the concept of buying rookie anything. Ill just stick to my top 50 players of all time.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
JK8283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Well it comes down to demand, and we have seen Strong demand. In the long run supply will be constricted so price will go higher. I could draw a bunch of supply and demand curves intersecting but I have better stuff to do.
Forexample, lets look at the supply and demand of twinkies. There is a constant demand of people who still eat twinkies. now that the supply is cut off the price rises. I dont understand what you dont understand about it?
Because your assumptions are based on a bunch of anecdotes that have no numbers to back them up. You say supply is constricting but what evidence is there to back that up? Box/case retail prices haven't risen and the dealers I've spoken with say that while the product is selling well, it doesnt look like prices will even touch the "doubling" or "tripling" that you're predicting. You say demand is rising, and I say everything except superstar gold prizms (and a couple hot rookies) have decreased in overall sale price on eBay over the last several weeks. You can "draw supply and demand charts", but it doesn't mean you're applying sound economic theory to a real world situation lol. You don't seem like a dumb guy, I'm just saying that the claim that economics proves your opinion sounds much more like conjecturing than scientific fact.
__________________
Collecting Jordan & DRose
JK8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
Because your assumptions are based on a bunch of anecdotes that have no numbers to back them up. You say supply is constricting but what evidence is there to back that up? Box/case retail prices haven't risen and the dealers I've spoken with say that while the product is selling well, it doesnt look like prices will even touch the "doubling" or "tripling" that you're predicting. You say demand is rising, and I say everything except superstar gold prizms (and a couple hot rookies) have decreased in overall sale price on eBay over the last several weeks. You can "draw supply and demand charts", but it doesn't mean you're applying sound economic theory to a real world situation lol. You don't seem like a dumb guy, I'm just saying that the claim that economics proves your opinion sounds much more like conjecturing than scientific fact.
When PCs hold onto their cards supply will constrict. Ofcourse the dealers are not increasing their prices yet, the set just came out... If there are /10 made than once they are all pulled, supply constricts. Its a fact* whether you want to believe me or not. Eventually supply will drop. That would mean prices would go up, unless demand drops too. The way prices work are in a wave like shape. The trend I have been seeing is, for example: Price of Kobe goes from $400 to 900, than drops to 700. A week later Kobe goes for 1100, than drops to 900 etc. Its Trending upward, thats undeniable. So you theory that demand will fall short, does not make economics sense.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
JK8283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
When PCs hold onto their cards supply will constrict. Ofcourse the dealers are not increasing their prices yet, the set just came out... If there are /10 made than once they are all pulled, supply constricts. Its a fact* whether you want to believe me or not. Eventually supply will drop. That would mean prices would go up, unless demand drops too. The way prices work are in a wave like shape. The trend I have been seeing is, for example: Price of Kobe goes from $400 to 900, than drops to 700. A week later Kobe goes for 1100, than drops to 900 etc. Its Trending upward, thats undeniable. So you theory that demand will fall short, does not make economics sense.
Haha okay man, agree to disagree (I guess). My "theory" of demand for this product is disproven by your masterful grasp of economics. You should publish this stuff in an academic journal.
__________________
Collecting Jordan & DRose
JK8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
Haha okay man, agree to disagree (I guess). My "theory" of demand for this product is disproven by your masterful grasp of economics. You should publish this stuff in an academic journal.
Maybe I will. I am trying to get into a ph.D program in econ haha thats why I have so much time. Basicly just studying GRE/GMAT and blogging lol.
Well I dont know if this is true, but it sounds about right, that Panini makes their dealers sell the product at the set price for a month before they can change it. So prizm came out 11/28, exactly a month ago. We may see some price changes going up or (down -according to yours truly). Im sure Panini already made what they had to make by now. They would have something like that so if the set isnt a hit, they could cover costs and make a decent profit off the first month.
Again, I havent seen anything to make me believe that Panin prizm is not a hit.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
JK8283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Maybe I will. I am trying to get into a ph.D program in econ haha thats why I have so much time. Basicly just studying GRE/GMAT and blogging lol.
Well I dont know if this is true, but it sounds about right, that Panini makes their dealers sell the product at the set price for a month before they can change it. So prizm came out 11/28, exactly a month ago. We may see some price changes going up or (down -according to yours truly). Im sure Panini already made what they had to make by now. They would have something like that so if the set isnt a hit, they could cover costs and make a decent profit off the first month.
Again, I havent seen anything to make me believe that Panin prizm is not a hit.
Uh no the Panini MAPP is a minimum advertised pricing policy at retail, so it is a floor rather than a ceiling on what retailers can charge. This is a wholly separate issue than the wholesale price at which Panini sells direct that you are referring to. Good luck with your GMATs and PHD applications.
__________________
Collecting Jordan & DRose
JK8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
Uh no the Panini MAPP is a minimum advertised pricing policy at retail, so it is a floor rather than a ceiling on what retailers can charge. This is a wholly separate issue than the wholesale price at which Panini sells direct that you are referring to. Good luck with your GMATs and PHD applications.
Ty, Oh I see. THanks for clarifying that. Its probably for fair competition. You cant have target selling prizm boxes for $20 less than everyone because they are big enough to do that. The little memorabilia shops would all go bust.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 25
Default

PMG PASS TILL-NOW (1996-2012)(RIP)PGR NOW TILL- THE FUTURE (2012-?) HAPPY BIRTHDAY it would be one thing if the new pmg's were NBA but they are not old PMG'S WILL STAY ON TOP PGR P(RIZM GOLD REFRACTOR Are the New NBA Cards to Have Im more of a new school type of guy so give me Miami Heat Gold or Green not some photo that was taken at age 17
ShoMeGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Suns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NEBRASKA
Posts: 133
Default

I'm sorta new to collecting.. can someone explain why the PMG's are so valuable?
Suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
chrismiller81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns View Post
I'm sorta new to collecting.. can someone explain why the PMG's are so valuable?
I guess because they have been around for a long time. I don't get it?
__________________
LEBRON.......KOBE......
EXQUISITES WANTED
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
ducc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Coast...PS
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns View Post
I'm sorta new to collecting.. can someone explain why the PMG's are so valuable?
One because they are old and very tough to find. Second the 90's jordan insert craze drove up the price of all of these cards. Also to find one of these in mint condition is nearly impossible because of chipping. Lastly, they're in demand. People want them so the price is adjusted accordingly. As people have been saying supply and demand, it's kinda like the trout phenomenon last year.
ducc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #46 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns View Post
I'm sorta new to collecting.. can someone explain why the PMG's are so valuable?
To sum it up in one word? "popular"
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns View Post
I'm sorta new to collecting.. can someone explain why the PMG's are so valuable?
Well, not all PMGs are the same, you have to distinguish the real Original 90s PMG from UD Reprint Retro PMGs.

The Original 90's PMGs, made by Fleer, were one of the first serial numbered inserts that came out in 1997. The Green #/10 PMGs have always been highly sought after and highly valuable among player and set collectors when the product came out (Especially for International collectors). Over the years though, the Greens have pretty much stayed in peoples PCs, making the original Greens impossible to find. Because of this, and because of nostalgic reasons, the Red #/90 PMGs soon took off, only recently though. The Reds are kinda viewed as the next best alternative card to get, for player collectors who can't afford or find the Green version.

UD saw the success of the PMGs and decided to make their own knock off version of the PMG Brand. UDs plan of capitalizing on the PMG brand worked perfectly when the product came out. But because those Retro PMGs sold so high so quickly, I think eventually the value of the Retro PMGs are gonna start crashing down in the future, especially with the success of Panini's Prizm product.

Last edited by jeebus_86; 12-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
EricMetcalf21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,522
Default

Prizm will be back next year, PMG no. Could be 30 years of gold prizms to come.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
chrismiller81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMetcalf21 View Post
Prizm will be back next year, PMG no. Could be 30 years of gold prizms to come.
I bet PMG's are back next year
__________________
LEBRON.......KOBE......
EXQUISITES WANTED
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
ducc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Coast...PS
Posts: 1,130
Default

thats another thing the green 90's pmg's were there one year never came back. Now, once something gets hot they bring it back year after year. Prizms next years will probably contain red, green, blue, gold, purple and any other color of the rainbow.
ducc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.