Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducc View Post
thats another thing the green 90's pmg's were there one year never came back. Now, once something gets hot they bring it back year after year. Prizms next years will probably contain red, green, blue, gold, purple and any other color of the rainbow.

Well it could be back next year, but as long as there is a slight product differentiation, the cards will still hold value. For example, Apple releases a phone every year that looks the same, but the product still holds value. In the case of Panini, you are talking about an exclusive contract with NBA, so only they can make the cards. They dont have to compete with Samsung, or Nokia. Additionally Basketball cards hold investment, and value in themselves, if it is a high quality product. The charachteristic of a high quality card is that it increases in demand of its own, so comparing to phones isnt exactly right. There isa ton of academic stuff written on product differentiation, and Paul Krugman won a nobel prize for his work on it in international trade.

Im trying to think of a good example. Well take Italy for example. Italy produces very high quality suits, cars, marble, basicly everything is top notch quality. Alot of people thought that Italy would lose out to China, or other countries, because they had higher prices. People said they would have to lower their prices to compete. But it turned out that because their product was of high quality, they could demand such high prices, and it maintained its demand, even though supply increased thruout the world.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I think ill get 3 to 5 kobe autos from 5 cases. Hopefully 1 is a refractor. Thats more than enough for me. I cant take the base cards and refractors to maker team sets and sell them off.

Im indifferent about the kobe packs. It would have been better if the decision was made before hand. It doesnt bother me that its going to be shared. If I call pull off golds of any of the lakers in this set, I definately will be happy.
did you get a resolution on the kobe packs yet? i ask here cause i'm not in that break and feel it would be wrong to ask in that break thread. i did see you were making some valid points though. like i said you are getting the short end of the stick in that deal imo.

your point of if someone receives a kobe pack and pulls a paralell, patch, or auto of kobe was a good one. i mentioned what was going on in another breakers blog room last night, and pretty much everyone in the room agreed you were getting screwed. every break i have seen the lakers team spot gets all the kobe packs shipped to them unopened unless they ask for them to be ripped on cam.

the least that should happen is that any fat packs should go to you and only you. it is pretty obvious when one of the anthology packs has a jersey or auto card in it. hopefully it works out and you get all of them though. cause that's over 200 dollars worth of unopened kobe packs that should be coming your way.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismiller81 View Post
I bet PMG's are back next year
Whats it going to be high school pmg's? If they do it next year they are ruined IMO(11-12's). Your probably right though.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #54 (permalink)

Colors are cool but give me #ed color and GOLD at the end of the rainbow ... To be real a lot of confusion came with thoez new PMG they got alot of people by just the listing alot of ebayers as do I have PMG RED & PMG GREEN ON SAVED SEARCH So when they hit they popped up on everybodys radar now with Prizm the word Gold Refractor is the next best search. In highly Grade Worthy Cards and IMO they did a good job on quality control. All Refractors I have seen have been BGS Ready MINT + The $ Value is their autos are pretty low but u know what the game is BUY LOW SELL HI when Gem Mint.
If Jordan Was in Panini Prizm the Value of the whole Product would be off the charts But Give Me Rookies Refractor All Day Long Its the NBA and u have to be good to make it. And All it takes is one 30+ game to 5x the value of Rookie Refractor Gold
ShoMeGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #55 (permalink)

Rookie cards holds more value than the regular cards. That's it.
Panini makes NBA liscened product while upperdeck makes rookie cards.
Rookie cards always and will command a higher value

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Rookie cards holds more value than the regular cards. That's it.
Panini makes NBA liscened product while upperdeck makes rookie cards.
Rookie cards always and will command a higher value
I mostly agree w u. There arent any other previous cards of the rookie, so supply is very limited, thus making the card more valuable. The point I was making is that if demand for a new set of cards is much higher, it could trump the value of a players rookie card, or equal it. Case in point PMG set came out last year, and I dont know off the top of my head what a Michael Jordan rookie card is worth from 1980s, but im guessing the PMG is worth maybe equal or more?

So it really still comes down to demand. But I mostly agree with you, that usually rookie cards are worth more. Also riskier investment in LR
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
market prices are also set by demand. Its not just about rarity. Demand plays a huge role is prices.

a 1/1 is more limited than a /10 . But the /10 would sell for more based on the demand there is for it.
Very nice point.

With the market deciding, I guess our best bet is to try predict what we the collectors will want in the future.
supertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoad View Post
Very nice point.

With the market deciding, I guess our best bet is to try predict what we the collectors will want in the future.
Yes that's a great point orange jello and super toad
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes that's a great point orange jello and super toad
Interesting point. Arent we all technically PCs tho? Just some of us long term, and others more short term?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Interesting point. Arent we all technically PCs tho? Just some of us long term, and others more short term?
Yeah you could say that.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah you could say that.
So what characteristics do long term PCs have over Short term PCs that affect the market more in the long run?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
So what characteristics do long term PCs have over Short term PCs that affect the market more in the long run?
Long term PC will hold cards which makes them unavailable and seems like it would add value to the others that are out there? Prizm Base Gold as an example /10. If my long term PC has 3 base gold kobes then that only leaves 7 available which would add value to those it seems. I don't know about the long term market affect though.

Last edited by chrismiller81; 01-01-2013 at 02:13 PM.
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Long term PC will hold cards which makes them unavailable and seems like it would add value to the others that are out there? Prizm Base Gold as an example /10. If my long term PC has 3 base gold kobes then that only leaves 7 available which would add value to those it seems. I don't know about the long term market affect though.
Gold prizm /10 or PMG /10 why such a difference in price ? WOW-img_0334.jpg

Rough sketch of Whats happening. Im trying to think of what else could possibly affect supply/demand. This graph pricing is for superstar cards ofcourse...(kobe, Bron, durant, etc) But the idea applies to all /10 gold prizm cards. As you can see as the boxes are opened and cards are pulled there is a normal supply, than after all of them are pulled the supply curve becomes vertical. This means that supply is restricted.

Last edited by SocraticGoat777; 01-01-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Attachment 118774

Rough sketch of Whats happening. Im trying to think of what else could possibly affect supply/demand. This graph pricing is for superstar cards ofcourse...(kobe, Bron, durant, etc) But the idea applies to all /10 gold prizm cards. As you can see as the boxes are opened and cards are pulled there is a normal supply, than after all of them are pulled the supply curve becomes vertical. This means that supply is restricted.
Damn nice work man!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

You need a product people like

The most important factor
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #66 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

As with any product
  1. Buy a bunch early hold on to them.
  2. Bid up every auction after that for the same cards.
  3. Go on the forums and hype up the products, gather a small following.
  4. Dump after all the fake "going rates" have been determined.
Pretty easy to do, its happened to 90s inserts, exquisites, UD Retro.

ALBUM http://www.finalsmvp.com/
tristan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #67 (permalink)

That same Westbrook that sold for $360 the other night is now relisted by a different seller, same picture.
rauchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

5/10 sold the other night ?

2/10 was just listed
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #69 (permalink)

That's what they say but it's the same picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiporch View Post
5/10 sold the other night ?

2/10 was just listed
rauchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
did you get a resolution on the kobe packs yet? i ask here cause i'm not in that break and feel it would be wrong to ask in that break thread. i did see you were making some valid points though. like i said you are getting the short end of the stick in that deal imo.

your point of if someone receives a kobe pack and pulls a paralell, patch, or auto of kobe was a good one. i mentioned what was going on in another breakers blog room last night, and pretty much everyone in the room agreed you were getting screwed. every break i have seen the lakers team spot gets all the kobe packs shipped to them unopened unless they ask for them to be ripped on cam.

the least that should happen is that any fat packs should go to you and only you. it is pretty obvious when one of the anthology packs has a jersey or auto card in it. hopefully it works out and you get all of them though. cause that's over 200 dollars worth of unopened kobe packs that should be coming your way.
Houdini ruled against it and will share the packs with everyone. He stated that if I didnt like his rules, that I could get a refund and my slot for the lakers would go to someone else. Im not giving up the lakers for a refund eventhough I think I should get those packs. I dont like it, but ill keep this in mind the next time I join a break. Nothing I can do about it now.

Im pretty sure the kobe anthology packs will hit an auto with 5 cases worth. Unfortunately for me someone who doesnt have the lakers will end up with a lakers auto. Doesnt seem fair to me, but I have to live with it.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #71 (permalink)

Just hit a Gold Tim Duncan Prizm
Bars and Bar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #72 (permalink)

Once NT comes out with the gorgeous on-card RPA's, people will forget about prizms and prices will fall (be it a bit or a lot).

Same thing happened with certified greens, ud retro, etc. All releases that people 'swore' would keep on increasing through the rest of time.

If you haven't realized that this hobby is all about 'what's in the now,' then you haven't been in long enough. Prizm is just experiencing its 15 minutes of fame right now, until the next big release comes (NT). All you investing in this stuff for a future flip: good luck! All those buying them for pc's: they are nice looking cards

Time will proceed and the cycle will continue.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
Once NT comes out with the gorgeous on-card RPA's, people will forget about prizms and prices will fall (be it a bit or a lot).

Same thing happened with certified greens, ud retro, etc. All releases that people 'swore' would keep on increasing through the rest of time.

If you haven't realized that this hobby is all about 'what's in the now,' then you haven't been in long enough. Prizm is just experiencing its 15 minutes of fame right now, until the next big release comes (NT). All you investing in this stuff for a future flip: good luck! All those buying them for pc's: they are nice looking cards

Time will proceed and the cycle will continue.
Yup I can't wait to get a Lebron nt patch auto and pay $600 a box for 5 cards awesome .
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiporch View Post
Yup I can't wait to get a Lebron nt patch auto and pay $600 a box for 5 cards awesome .
lol

Collectors have been paying half a stack+ for a handful of cards since '03...and it still sells well. Gotta love it.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
lol

Collectors have been paying half a stack+ for a handful of cards since '03...and it still sells well. Gotta love it.
yeah I guess .

I dont think they loved paying 11/12 $2500 for a case for exquisite .

I collect lebron no autos in NT

Last edited by pepsiporch; 01-01-2013 at 08:39 PM.