Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
Once NT comes out with the gorgeous on-card RPA's, people will forget about prizms and prices will fall (be it a bit or a lot).

Same thing happened with certified greens, ud retro, etc. All releases that people 'swore' would keep on increasing through the rest of time.

If you haven't realized that this hobby is all about 'what's in the now,' then you haven't been in long enough. Prizm is just experiencing its 15 minutes of fame right now, until the next big release comes (NT). All you investing in this stuff for a future flip: good luck! All those buying them for pc's: they are nice looking cards

Time will proceed and the cycle will continue.

Lol, thats why MIchael Jordan rookie cards from 1986 are worth a fortune. Its all about "whats in the now". THats a huge assumption. Mickey mantle cards are worth a fortune because its about "whats in the now". Its hard to predict the future prices, but certain sets catch on, and others are flukes. The ones that catch on, retain their values, or increase in value. Again its tied to demand.

Last edited by SocraticGoat777; 01-01-2013 at 08:53 PM.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Lol, thats why MIchael Jordan rookie cards from 1986 are worth a fortune. Its all about "whats in the now". THats a huge assumption. Mickey mantle cards are worth a fortune because its about "whats in the now". Its hard to predict the future prices, but certain sets catch on, and others are flukes. The ones that catch on, retain their values. Again its tied to demand.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. But what does your comparison about the rookie card of the best player on earth have to do with anything?

By the way, the Michael Jordan rookie card hasn't really increased in value...it all depends on the condition. Raw versions of the Jordan rookie were selling in upwards of 500-600 in the early 90's. You can pick up an 'slabbed authentic' one for around that same price now, as long as it's real it can have obvious flaws. That card is SOLELY a condition specific card...and probably the most graded card in history. You're comparing the most iconic michael jordan rookie card in a Prizm thread.

And you say it's all tied to demand. Well, newsflash: demand is in direct correlation with the current hype of a player or product. Every player or product has a '15 minute (figure of speech) time frame in which they experience a huge surge in price and 'peak.'

With a product, that 'peak' phase is usually between the time of release and the release of the next 'big' product. Look at Certified Greens, and UD Retro. Sure, people could still turn a profit on UD Retro if they bought in super early, but will get nowhere near the profit that could have been had if they sold during its '15 minutes of fame,' where prices were absolutely outrageous.

When newer, hotter products come out, the natural progression is for collectors to flock and focus their attention on that vs. the previous product. Doesn't take an Einstein or Phd to figure that one out. Happens in the entertainment industry and just about every other industry you can think of. There will always be newer, better product to be had that will drive down demand and popularity of the previous stuff.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #78 (permalink)

By the way, I absolutely LOVE the look of Prizms. So please don't think I'm bashing them, because I think Panini did a great job with those golds.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. But what does your comparison about the rookie card of the best player on earth have to do with anything?

By the way, the Michael Jordan rookie card hasn't really increased in value...it all depends on the condition. Raw versions of the Jordan rookie were selling in upwards of 500-600 in the early 90's. You can pick up an 'slabbed authentic' one for around that same price now, as long as it's real it can have obvious flaws. That card is SOLELY a condition specific card...and probably the most graded card in history. You're comparing the most iconic michael jordan rookie card in a Prizm thread.

And you say it's all tied to demand. Well, newsflash: demand is in direct correlation with the current hype of a player or product. Every player or product has a '15 minute (figure of speech) time frame in which they experience a huge surge in price and 'peak.'

With a product, that 'peak' phase is usually between the time of release and the release of the next 'big' product. Look at Certified Greens, and UD Retro. Sure, people could still turn a profit on UD Retro if they bought in super early, but will get nowhere near the profit that could have been had if they sold during its '15 minutes of fame,' where prices were absolutely outrageous.

When newer, hotter products come out, the natural progression is for collectors to flock and focus their attention on that vs. the previous product. Doesn't take an Einstein or Phd to figure that one out. Happens in the entertainment industry and just about every other industry you can think of. There will always be newer, better product to be had that will drive down demand and popularity of the previous stuff.

Ok I see your point. But isnt the whole point of memorabilia, whether it be stamps, coins, or this, that it increases in value? Isnt that a characteristics of good memorabilia? Its like art, or an old rolex within a family... Passes on from generation to generation

Last edited by SocraticGoat777; 01-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Ok I see your point. But isnt the whole point of memorabilia, whether it be stamps, coins, or this, that it increases in value? Isnt that a characteristics of good memorabilia?
In a perfect world, all of our top notch or low numbered memorabilia would continue to increase in value over time...but unfortunately that's usually not the case. Typically that's the exception vs. the majority.

But hey...who am I to say! 20 years from now, perhaps people will be paying 10x what we are paying for the current elite cards circulating.

That boom happened with the 90's inserts, so perhaps it could happen with this generation as well. Really hard to say, and nobody has a crystal ball.

Of course, collecting ONLY hall of fame calliber players increases your chances of retaining or increasing your investment in the future. But I guess that's the beauty and risk of prospecting...getting in early in the hopes your player or product becomes the next 'big thing'
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #81 (permalink)

I like to relate pieces in my PC to the period of time in my life when I acquired it, and it brings back memories. So it holds a special value to me, a few of them, I would not trade for anything, I will pass on to my kids. Its not like an Iphone, where Im trying to get rid of the old one and get the new one thats half an inch longer, or trading in the GF for a new one
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #82 (permalink)

The Golds I have (base Drummond, Harrison Barnes, Westbrook, and MVP Shaq - pulled myself) are going straight to my PC. I am not trying to flip them, just love the way they look.
rauchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #83 (permalink)
Banned

Time will tell with these on true value and how much they go up.
A lot of people like different things and I am a fan of these prizms
gold , green ,ref and even base are nice .

It's a fun product to open maybe not investment wise because it hard to get a great gold .

Reminds me of finest when grant hill was a rookie
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #84 (permalink)

It is all about supply how many Michael Jordan Fleer Rookies were made?thousands (BGS 10 would go for 70k) bit that would only be a count of like 4 And how many Reto PMG Greens only 10 A BGS 10 could grad u arounad that or more just because it would be the only one and still on only a 10ct. Just think if he only had Rookie card #ed to ten like Lillard or Anthony Davis who stiil and will never come close to skill but value is another thing if I had the money id put it in Prizm Gold Jordan is already Maxed Out these Golds are just getting Started
ShoMeGreen is offline   Reply With Quote