Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gold prizm /10 or PMG /10 why such a difference in price ? WOW

Lebron James Green PMG sells around 10k Gold Prizm /10 sell for 1500 max. Why so much of a difference you think? Is it cause PMG has been around for years longer than Prizm? Will Prizm become more like PMG as investment down the road? Just curoius to hear people opinions on this

Last edited by chrismiller81; 12-28-2012 at 07:18 AM.
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

PMGs are iconic.

Prizms? Not so much.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

PMG history and cache, along with the fact that Retro is far more expensive and seemingly more limited.

Wow! What a luck!
EvanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanD View Post
PMG history and cache, along with the fact that Retro is far more expensive and seemingly more limited.
What he said! Prizm Golds are around 2 per case, Green PMG are around 1 per 10 cases it seems. Also the Price of Retro is 4x the amount for 1 box...Along with the history of the PMG name. PMG will never be caught by prizm but the prizm gold will hold its own name from now on. (felt like i was writing a history report or something..)
Currently Out on Vacation Be back 8/31
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Prizm gold lebron are harder to hit then a green pmg retro Lebron .

Pmg greens I believe there are only 40 in the whole set .where as gold there is 300 .

Give me 10 Lebron prizm golds over a Lebron green .

There where about 1200 cases made of retro . So with 400 greens they fell 1 in 3 cases .

Last edited by pepsiporch; 12-28-2012 at 09:07 AM.
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Just scored the Lakers in the team 5 case Prizm break in the bkb section. Hopefully I yield some serious Kobe love in 5 cases!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Just scored the Lakers in the team 5 case Prizm break in the bkb section. Hopefully I yield some serious Kobe love in 5 cases!!
Real nice gl .

Even Kobe USA ref is a decent hit . One finished at $115 yesterday and none are on eBay now.

Is Howard and Nash considered lakers in it ?

Last edited by pepsiporch; 12-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiporch View Post
Real nice gl .

Is Howard and Nash considered lakers in it ?
yea. But I think Wilt falls under the Sixer I think. But still have West in the legends set. I think Shaq as well?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Heck yeah nice hit orange!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Prizm looks kind of like finest, which I really like. I also really prefer the pro unis.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

The Original PMGs will always be iconic and highly valued among collectors.

I'm not too sure if this is gonna hold true for the Retro PMGs though, especially with the release of the Prizm product. I've said it before, years down the road, Gold Prizms will be more valued and more sought after then the Retro PMG Greens. I mean, just take a look at those Lebrons for example, Panini has arguably just made Lebrons BEST card in his HEAT uniform, and they did it without needing his signature. When it comes to Lebron, I think a similar thing is gonna happen like it did with Jordan in the 90s. Although Upper Deck had his license for signatures, most of Jordans best cards come from Fleer and their inserts.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

You got to factor in the barriers to entry for the cards too.

A Retro PMG Green comes out of a $600 box, the Prizm Gold comes out of a $100 box.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Retro was $180 a box
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

I always find it amazing when people said 1 card is more limited than another card but both cards are numbered the same. It can only be 1 card is harder to pull than another but not 1 more limited than the other.

I believed it is a lot harder to hit a particular gold in prizm than a particular PMG green. PMG sells for a lot more because:
1) PMG
2) PMG
3) PMG
4) PMG
5) PMG

There is a reason why people keyword spam PMG in their ebay listing.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

market prices are also set by demand. Its not just about rarity. Demand plays a huge role is prices.

a 1/1 is more limited than a /10 . But the /10 would sell for more based on the demand there is for it.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

i would be more concerned about the prices of the prizm boxes soon

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
you got boned in this break imo. the biggest benefit to that spot is getting all those kobe packs. that guarantees you to basically break even just on kobe packs alone. now from what i read in that thread everyone is getting 2 kobe packs each. really lame. as everyone was saying in the thread it is a high risk high reward break. so you get what at first seems to be extremely lucky in landing the top spot, and now you have to spread the wealth to everyone else? sorry but that is crap imo. call me greedy or whatever you want but you paid to play and now you are losing. bottom line not getting the kobe packs makes the lakers not the top team in the break. kobe base autos are extremely tough pulls. i've seen at least 5+ cases of this stuff broke and no kobe autos, plenty of kyrie and davis autos though.

you'll prbly net anywhere from 20-30 kobe base and another 20 or so kobe inserts. plus other laker legend cards like magic and kareem. some scrub autos of sacre and morris. all of that combined would struggle to make the spot price worth it. so you now have to hit a big kobe parallel or auto to make it worth it what you paid to get in. it really takes the joy out of it to me. i would be almost disappointed getting the lakers in this spot, and i'm about the biggest laker fan you'll find on this board. i would honestly rather have a team like the blazers in this break and get 25 or so lillard base guaranteed.

i mean lucky it is 5 cases so you have a better than average chance to get a base kobe auto at least. however not getting all the kobe packs is swift kick to the nuts and takes some of the joy out of getting the lakers in a break. i was in one of truth17's breaks last weekend full case of prizm and totally and got the lakers. i was stoked cause i finally got the lakers and i got all 24 kobe packs, which was lucky for me cause the lakers got skunked in the break, but knowing i got my money's worth of kobe packs made it a great break for me.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Burt-Reynolds; 12-28-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

I think ill get 3 to 5 kobe autos from 5 cases. Hopefully 1 is a refractor. Thats more than enough for me. I cant take the base cards and refractors to maker team sets and sell them off.

Im indifferent about the kobe packs. It would have been better if the decision was made before hand. It doesnt bother me that its going to be shared. If I call pull off golds of any of the lakers in this set, I definately will be happy.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I think ill get 3 to 5 kobe autos from 5 cases. Hopefully 1 is a refractor. Thats more than enough for me. I cant take the base cards and refractors to maker team sets and sell them off.

Im indifferent about the kobe packs. It would have been better if the decision was made before hand. It doesnt bother me that its going to be shared. If I call pull off golds of any of the lakers in this set, I definately will be happy.
I agree. You will make out fine with the Lakers.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

sorry man, but i'm willing to bet cold hard cash you won't get anywhere near 3-5 kobe autos in this break. i've been involved in 4 case breaks of prizm myself, and watched countless more on blogtv, you are really not factoring in how tough a kobe auto pull is in a case. if you get one kobe auto in this break be extremely grateful. if you pull 3 you beat the odds in a crazy way and should buy some lotto tickets.

you must be thinking this is a gold standard break or something. i'm sure many others can attest to how tough of a pull kobe autos are. it seems like the order of case pulls autos are davis, kyrie, griffin, kobe, durant. almost every case i've seen has davis as the case hit.

good luck and it's still lucky and a great feeling to get the lakers, but not getting the packs diminishes the joy of getting the lakers somewhat imo.

Last edited by Burt-Reynolds; 12-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Real life

GOLD > GREEN

Card life

GREEN > GOLD
GoldenBoy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Unfortunately most of you guys are wrong on this one. The prices are set by supply and demand. As the set is newly released, the prices on the boxes are yet reasonable so the supply is not hindered yet*. PMG is currently more expensive because as the poster mentioned, they have been around longer and the boxes are more expensive, this decreases supply.
Now there is also the demand side of the equation. Demand is increasing as we can see the prices go up on ebay. At this point demand is not going to decrease, rather only go up as more and more people are catching onto the product.
It could be that once PCs have got their pieces it would further restrict Supply on the prizm(particularly Hall of famers, good players, KOBE, SHaq, Durant, Iverson, Bird, Magic, etc..) So in that case, the prices of the boxes going up would not even matter that much in terms of restricting supply.
What surprised me most are the prices of the rookies, since they have yet to establish long run greatness. Its a huge risk to buy a rookie card for the Long run IMHO, if you just want to buy and sell real quick, ofcourse that is different, or if u are loaded.
Finally As someone had mentioned, a 1/1 would not necessary hold more value that a 1/10, if more people demand the 1/10 card. So, basically in conclusion, based on economic evidence, we should see Prizm prices double, triple, maybe even tough PMG prices in the Long run.

well, that was long lol

Economics Major in college
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

good first post

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Nostalgia sells

!
tristan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
Unfortunately most of you guys are wrong on this one. The prices are set by supply and demand. As the set is newly released, the prices on the boxes are yet reasonable so the supply is not hindered yet*. PMG is currently more expensive because as the poster mentioned, they have been around longer and the boxes are more expensive, this decreases supply.
Now there is also the demand side of the equation. Demand is increasing as we can see the prices go up on ebay. At this point demand is not going to decrease, rather only go up as more and more people are catching onto the product.
It could be that once PCs have got their pieces it would further restrict Supply on the prizm(particularly Hall of famers, good players, KOBE, SHaq, Durant, Iverson, Bird, Magic, etc..) So in that case, the prices of the boxes going up would not even matter that much in terms of restricting supply.
What surprised me most are the prices of the rookies, since they have yet to establish long run greatness. Its a huge risk to buy a rookie card for the Long run IMHO, if you just want to buy and sell real quick, ofcourse that is different, or if u are loaded.
Finally As someone had mentioned, a 1/1 would not necessary hold more value that a 1/10, if more people demand the 1/10 card. So, basically in conclusion, based on economic evidence, we should see Prizm prices double, triple, maybe even tough PMG prices in the Long run.

well, that was long lol

Economics Major in college
Lol I'm sorry but your use of "economic evidence" is completely unscientific and anecdotal at best. If you're good at predicting whether prices double or triple in the future, you're better off picking stocks with your degree than making calls on basketball cards.