Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Value of a auto vs jersey vs disc of gold

Sticker autos seem to be the bane of the industry right now. Do you value a card less for having a sticker auto vs an on card auto? If 2 Durant auto cards, one on card and one sticker auto, # to 25, were up for auction, would the on card go for more or would they sell for the same? Knowing how much a game used jersey is worth, is a sticker, prime jersey piece, or a disc of 14k gold the most valuable thing you can put on a card?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, an in card auto would (should) sell higher!

I would say the Prime patch is the winner out of your list. The 14k pieces were cool in 10/11 when they were all /10 or less, but in 11/12 they made them /49 and took away the rarity!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

On-card autos are much more desirable than sticker autos. Therefore, on-card autos tend to sell for a premium price.

Justifiably so, in my opinion, since the player actually held the card and signed it in person, rather than signing a sheet of stickers (which, when placed on the card, ruin the look of the card).
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Black Friday cards had hat sections from some rookies. I heard Kobe shoe pieces will be inserted in cards later on in the year. How about Rondo sweatbands?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob50 View Post
Yes, an in card auto would (should) sell higher!

I would say the Prime patch is the winner out of your list. The 14k pieces were cool in 10/11 when they were all /10 or less, but in 11/12 they made them /49 and took away the rarity!
It seems like #ed /49, the Gold cards aren't rare anymore - But they are still as difficult to pull ... In 10/11 the Gold Cards were across several Insert sets, while in 11/12 they are just in one, so Instead of Kobe having 5 Gold cards #ed /10, he only has 1 #ed /49 in 10/11
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsRChamps View Post
It seems like #ed /49, the Gold cards aren't rare anymore - But they are still as difficult to pull ... In 10/11 the Gold Cards were across several Insert sets, while in 11/12 they are just in one, so Instead of Kobe having 5 Gold cards #ed /10, he only has 1 #ed /49 in 10/11
you nailed it. its all about perceived rarity.

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsRChamps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
you nailed it. its all about perceived rarity.
It's not just 'perceived rarity'. If you are out to just get ANY 14k from 10-11 Gold, then yeah, it is just as easy, but if you are collecting a player, then /8 or /10 is FAR rarer than /49

As a single card, the 10-11 are much harder to come across, but overall they are similar!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

While we're on the topic, does anybody else have the hunch that these Gold Cards will really explode in value in a few years? I just have the feeling in 5 years, the Lebron / Kobe / Durant Gold Piece. cards will shoot up in value like 90's Parallels did ...

Right now most "Gold" cards are selling for less than the gold itself and even the stars are selling for way less than the price of a box
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

there won't be too many left in a few years, I have already ripped apart over 60 of the gold rush cards and sent the gold to my refiner. And I am sitting on almost 50 more waiting to go out. I wish more products had gold in it. Some lower end guys(Jordan Crawford, Jason Terry) can't have more than 35 or so left on the market
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
there won't be too many left in a few years, I have already ripped apart over 60 of the gold rush cards and sent the gold to my refiner. And I am sitting on almost 50 more waiting to go out. I wish more products had gold in it. Some lower end guys(Jordan Crawford, Jason Terry) can't have more than 35 or so left on the market
i am 3 cards away from finishing the set. kobe, west and holiday.

some of the smaller names are harder to find than the big names.

But also people are over pricing them (for now). People have kobe at $100 and $149 buy it now, when you can pick him up at auction at about $70-$80.

one of the most epensive ones i got was the landry fields at $30 some odd dollars. Most expensive I have paid is $80 for the durant, $60 for shaq, $75 for lebron, $55 for griffin. $58 for rose
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

I will check for the holdiay in the morning, I usually try to say around the $20 price, the cheapest gold card I got was less than $6 shipping
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I will check for the holdiay in the morning, I usually try to say around the $20 price, the cheapest gold card I got was less than $6 shipping
I hope they go up in value! I picked up one of Roy Hibbert from 10/11 for $7 shipped

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection
Jtoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
How much is the gold worth in a gold rush card? You may be on to something.