Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default International collector question on postage

With U.S. postage rates going up in 25 days, are you still comfortable buying cards on Ebay and other places online? My long time customers typically buy many cards so I doubt that the increase will be that dramatic for them, but for those that want 1-2 cards, how do you plan on proceeding with such a hike in pricing?
phdbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Having lived in the US, knowing the postal system, one of the cheapest ways to ship overseas anywhere is USPS FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL. This can cost up to 6 bucks per package. Only downside to this, tracking information is not updated always on time or at all. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

These days, I know everyone is scared due to scammers/people reporting not received and so forth, BUT that happens everywhere.

When I sell to the US, I only charge 2.25-3 bucks per item, i dont intend to profit on shipping and i charge as is. Some charge 5 bucks because it covers other small costs.

These days, to ship JUST one card from the US to me, some are asking 15-25. So I always email before hand just in case or i choose to bid/buy from those who posts reasonable costs. I have had issues where someone listed 4.59 USD for Intl and when I won, he said 18.99, thats the cheapest he could go. I said fine, i better see 15USD or above on that envelope or else you are refunding me the difference or you get a neg because you went against your own listing etc. Even when they dont list and charge ridiculous amounts, I also say the same thing, make sure its whatever amount (-3 to 4) on the postage or else I will proceed as I need too.

If an auction states a LARGE amount of shipping costs, I usually stay away. But that person looses out on someone who does not mind paying above market price if I need or really like that card.
Ironcourtcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

What are the new USPS International rates?

Postage will continue to be problematic due to the discrepancies between postal systems. A letter package mailed from China (possibly other SE Asia countries) can be mailed with tracking for under $3US, while the same level of service from the US to those countries costs over six times as much.

The price discrepency makes the playing field uneven and less than favorable for shippers in the United States and receivers located outside the United States.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

The commercial rates are (from what I've seen)

up to 2oz 6.16
Up to 4oz 6.91
I'm not certain if there are higher rates for different zones, but these are the lowest I've seen.

So for a single thick card, we are going from $3.78 to $6.16?
phdbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, those are substantial.

I've often wondered how the revenue is divided (or if it is) for international mailings. Is the USPS 'making up' (with higher outgoing rates) for the registered parcels from other countries that must be delivered with little or no compensation?

Anyone know? If a shipper in Beijing pays $3US for a registered bubble mailer for US delivery, at what point does China and the US systems exchange the mailer and does the USPS receive any of the $3 for the work conducted?

AND

If I pay $40 for USPS Express International shipped to Beijing, where do the two country's postal systems exchange the parcel and does the USPS provide the Chinese postal system any of the $40?

(NOTE: China used for example purposes only. I was recently there and noted the costs.)

Obviously a company such as Fed Ex or UPS that maintains the parcel from start to finish must account for all costs and these costs can (for the most part) be predicted.

Sorry to derail your post PHD!

Last edited by fullmetal; 01-02-2013 at 02:44 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote