Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Russ Bengtson ‏@russbengtson

It's a good thing NBA players weren't so thin-skinned in the '90s or else Gary Payton wouldn't have survived his rookie year.
Retweeted by Nate Jones
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

From what I understand, KG talked about Melo's wife. KG knows how to go over the top when he talks trash, like when he called Villanueva a cancer patient. I hated how Melo reacted to it all initially, but if someone is talking smack about your wife, it's tough to ignore that. I can't blame Melo for how he reacted. I would say KG needs to grow up, but the dude is 36 so he is who he is.
tupark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupark82 View Post
From what I understand, KG talked about Melo's wife. KG knows how to go over the top when he talks trash, like when he called Villanueva a cancer patient. I hated how Melo reacted to it all initially, but if someone is talking smack about your wife, it's tough to ignore that. I can't blame Melo for how he reacted. I would say KG needs to grow up, but the dude is 36 so he is who he is.
He is grown up. THAT IS WHAT TRASH TALK IS. Just talk. Problem is players are programmed differently today.

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

In a trash talkers world, ya mama, your sister, your wife, etc. are not off limits. The whole point is to get you off of your game.

Nate Jones Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

KG is old school. GP would talk about everyone and everything to get an edge on you. On the court, it's about a W. KG does the same.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac213up View Post
He is grown up. THAT IS WHAT TRASH TALK IS. Just talk. Problem is players are programmed differently today.

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

In a trash talkers world, ya mama, your sister, your wife, etc. are not off limits. The whole point is to get you off of your game.

Nate Jones Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

KG is old school. GP would talk about everyone and everything to get an edge on you. On the court, it's about a W. KG does the same.
lol why do you keep referring to Nate? He's cool but his opinion is his opinion. Hey, call it whatever you want, but people in general are "programmed" differently. I guess some may feel it's okay to talk about people's families because it's "trash talk", but words are the cause of people's reactions. There's a difference between saying "yo mama is so fat when she went in the bus she sat next to everybody" and talking about someone's wife in a sexual manner. Trash talk should be about something related to the game, which I'm all for. It shouldn't be okay to bring it to another level where it has absolutely nothing to do w/ the game.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Default Carmelo is a big baby!!

Exactly what I said Melo is nothing but an immature baby. So what if he was ouplayed and made look like a little girl. Does Melo really think other teams are just gonna let him be a big star and run all over every team. Stop crying Melo, you got beat and aren't a huge star like Kobe or Lebron or Durant. Perfect player for New York and way to rep your city. Maybe the Sixers will take you when, you get thrown out of New York. They dont mind Thugs and immature players.
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Haha it's just being intense when you talk about someone's wife or call them a cancer patient. Or better yet make fun of someone who's mom died of cancer.

I think you can believe that the person on the other end should be able to ignore it an move on and it shouldt effect their play, thats fine i think that too. but I still think it says something about the person saying the nasty things. There's a way to trash talk without being a slug of a person. Kg has done differently his whole career. That on top of other actions I think shows the type of guy he is.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #32 (permalink)

It seems like Garnett got Melo out of the game...that was a positive for the celtics...I find it funny that KG can't trash talk without people calling him dirty....every game players are bickering back and forth talking trash. It is part of the game. Has no one ever heard bad things said about someones mother,wife or sister? It happens. Would I personal talk tash about someone's family no, but it isn't against any rules. Melo should have acted as an adult and professional and channel that energy in a positive way.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
It seems like Garnett got Melo out of the game...that was a positive for the celtics...I find it funny that KG can't trash talk without people calling him dirty....every game players are bickering back and forth talking trash. It is part of the game. Has no one ever heard bad things said about someones mother,wife or sister? It happens. Would I personal talk tash about someone's family no, but it isn't against any rules. Melo should have acted as an adult and professional and channel that energy in a positive way.
Only Kevin Garnett trash talks in the NBA I found out.

But Melo being a child and threatening to do violence to KG, chasing him down the locker room, and waiting for him outside the bus is okay.

I heard KG was making fun of Melo about never being as good as Lebron, I didnt hear about the wife, and seriously. They are adults, if you can not handle trash talking, then I am sorry. But to try to fight someone and chase them because of words? Come on.

I do not ask for much, but please leave feedback if everything goes well with our deal.
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

So those who think kgs type of trash talk is fine. Do you speak like that to people or would you?

There's different type of trash talk and to me what kg stoops to shows the type of clown he is.

No one is complaining about trash talk in general.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Only Kevin Garnett trash talks in the NBA I found out.

But Melo being a child and threatening to do violence to KG, chasing him down the locker room, and waiting for him outside the bus is okay.

I heard KG was making fun of Melo about never being as good as Lebron, I didnt hear about the wife, and seriously. They are adults, if you can not handle trash talking, then I am sorry. But to try to fight someone and chase them because of words? Come on.
My point is just this. Was it disrespectful for Garnett to talk about Melos family sure, was it dirty no.

People trash talk from junior high up and people are taught from a young age that violence is obviously not the correct corpse of action. Melo has a right to be mad but he should have handled his emotions better during and after the game...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
My point is just this. Was it disrespectful for Garnett to talk about Melos family sure, was it dirty no.

People trash talk from junior high up and people are taught from a young age that violence is obviously not the correct corpse of action. Melo has a right to be mad but he should have handled his emotions better during and after the game...
But only KG does that, no one else has ever talked about someones family on the court? THats my point, why is he a scumbag when a lot of others do it too? Why is it okay for Melo to react the way he did when others have done stuff like that too?

Plus no one knows for sure what was said, I heard one thing, tupark heard another. Unless Melo wants to grow up and talk instead of looking to fight at the bustop, who is to know for sure?

I do not ask for much, but please leave feedback if everything goes well with our deal.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
lol why do you keep referring to Nate? He's cool but his opinion is his opinion. Hey, call it whatever you want, but people in general are "programmed" differently. I guess some may feel it's okay to talk about people's families because it's "trash talk", but words are the cause of people's reactions. There's a difference between saying "yo mama is so fat when she went in the bus she sat next to everybody" and talking about someone's wife in a sexual manner. Trash talk should be about something related to the game, which I'm all for. It shouldn't be okay to bring it to another level where it has absolutely nothing to do w/ the game.
It is all part of the game. Yo mama jokes do not get a reaction which is the main point of trash talking.

Reggie Evans -"“If a person says, ‘Oh, I had your wife’ — yeah, you can say that,” Evans said."

Jarrett Jack -“I’ve heard worse. I’ve heard people mention other people’s family members. That type of thing. You hear a lot of (stuff).”

Read More: NBA needs trash-talkers like Gary Payton, Larry Bird - Jon Wertheim - SI.com

"The soliloquies of some players could skew a bit vulgar. In the course of talking trash, it isn't uncommon to question the virtue of an opponent's wife or sister or mother. The Timberwolves' Brian Cardinal tells a story that, early in his career, he blocked a shot by Shawn Kemp, then with the Portland Trail Blazers. On the trip down court, Kemp's woofing was so fierce that Cardinal began to blush."
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

No one is saying kg is the only person that trash talks. But kg is a repeat offender of these types of situations. Show someone else that has the resume of trash talk altercations that kg has? I don't think you can.

The way kg has carried himself on and off the court an the actions he does and things he says is a knock not only on him as a person but also as a player.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Just another event that perpetuates the idea that the NBA is a league of thugs. And they wonder why attendance is down - nobody with money wants to pay to see these idiots.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
No one is saying kg is the only person that trash talks. But kg is a repeat offender of these types of situations. Show someone else that has the resume of trash talk altercations that kg has? I don't think you can.
Gary Payton.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Gary Payton.
Ok and plenty of peoe view Payton as a complete piece of trash. Any more?

I find it so ironic how so many fans and a lot of Celtic fans love gettin on wade for being dirty but ignore what kg does and then quote the good old days of 80 and 90 bball and the hardnosed intense style and how they wish it was like that. Can someone make up their mind? It just screams bias everytime.

If you have no problem with this type of play or wish it was like it was back in the day then why do you moan and cry everytime wade does something 'dirty' or Griffin makes a 'dirty flop'? Make up you mind and stop flip flopping.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
But only KG does that, no one else has ever talked about someones family on the court? THats my point, why is he a scumbag when a lot of others do it too? Why is it okay for Melo to react the way he did when others have done stuff like that too?

Plus no one knows for sure what was said, I heard one thing, tupark heard another. Unless Melo wants to grow up and talk instead of looking to fight at the bustop, who is to know for sure?
Not saying either story is right, but I highly doubt Melo would literally lose it the way he did because KG told him he's trash and he'll never be as good as LeBron. It's also hard to believe KG would talk up LeBron to make a point. Those guys are enemies.

Knowing KG, talking about Melo's high-profiled wife sounds like the least surprising thing.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #43 (permalink)

I am not saying what Garnett did was right by any means and was for sure disrespectful if the talk was about his family. It is something I wouldn't do to an opponent myself. I don't view it as dirty just as disprectful.

When I think of something dirty I think of something be physical and not verbal. I think elbowing,tacking,kicking,flopping, those type of physical actions as dirty.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Not saying either story is right, but I highly doubt Melo would literally lose it the way he did because KG told him he's trash and he'll never be as good as LeBron. It's also hard to believe KG would talk up LeBron to make a point. Those guys are enemies.

Knowing KG, talking about Melo's high-profiled wife sounds like the least surprising thing.
And Melo has a reputation of wilting under pressure and blowing it when it matters, so maybe he didnt say something as bad like insulting his wife.

It can go both ways, its not like Garnett is always being suspended or arrested here. He isnt kicking people in the balls or dislocating elbows. He is a dirty player, but some people especially on these boards make him out to be a murderer for dirty play when it is VERY common in the NBA, Melo was probably more guilty of the grabbing and pushing of people last night than anyone, regardless of if his feelings were hurt.

And Melo can make fun of KG's wife when shes on the basketball wives, and I bet KG doesnt flip out like a child like Carmelo did.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok and plenty of peoe view Payton as a complete piece of trash. Any more?

I find it so ironic how so many fans and a lot of Celtic fans love gettin on wade for being dirty but ignore what kg does and then quote the good old days of 80 and 90 bball and the hardnosed intense style and how they wish it was like that. Can someone make up their mind? It just screams bias everytime.

If you have no problem with this type of play or wish it was like it was back in the day then why do you moan and cry everytime wade does something 'dirty' or Griffin makes a 'dirty flop'? Make up you mind and stop flip flopping.
Interesting because I find it ironic how Heat fans rip on KG and then (at least until the latest incident) excuse Wade and his recent run of questionable "dirty" plays.

Ultimately most of that does not bother me. I like edgy, physically basketball and have been clear about that. The intensity of last nights game was so much better than any ordinary regular season game because of it. The line for me is when a player purposely tries to severely injure another player. Very rarely do you see that line crossed by any of these guys.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #46 (permalink)

Lol.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons

My wife tastes like Frosted Flakes.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

So wait let me get this straight. As a nba fan we now should view flopping as 'dirty' but saying repulsive and inappropriate things about someone's wife or mom is not 'dirty'

Great work nba fans!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Interesting because I find it ironic how Heat fans rip on KG and then (at least until the latest incident) excuse Wade and his recent run of questionable "dirty" plays.

Ultimately most of that does not bother me. I like edgy, physically basketball and have been clear about that. The intensity of last nights game was so much better than any ordinary regular season game because of it. The line for me is when a player purposely tries to severely injure another player. Very rarely do you see that line crossed by any of these guys.
Fair points and you have always made it clear you prefer the hardbosed old style basketball but a lot of members on here seem to flip flop back and forth depending on the player and that's wrong.

And did iamralpho finally admit kg is 'dirty'?????? Omg I never thought the day would come that a celtics fan would admit it! Haha
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
So wait let me get this straight. As a nba fan we now should view flopping as 'dirty' but saying repulsive and inappropriate things about someone's wife or mom is not 'dirty'

Great work nba fans!
Like I said it was very disrespectful if he said things about Melos wife or family. I don't view it as dirty but as disrespectful and obviously I don't think it is something he should have done......was he the first to do it no, is he the last to it no. I don't condone it when any player talks about someone's else family. That's off limits in my mind.

I view phyiscal things as dirty on the court such as elbowing,tackling,flopping, kicking, and so on.

The truth of the situation is the if KG did say things about Melos family... Are we certain on this yet? If he did say those things he was obviously being disrespectful and should t have done it. That by no means Melo should look to get even after the game. It's pretty clear that Melo wanted to escalate things to the next level which he shouldn't have.

Both players are in the wrong. I think I everyone would agree there, but if someone calls you a name does that means its right to go and get physical about it? No. Melo should have challenged his energy differently by trying to beat the celtics.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

I kind of liked both of them mixing it up. Adds a little spice....the NBA has been a little "Blah" this year...get the juices flowing!!
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote