Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #226 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven1 View Post
I've bought quite a few Panini patch cards recently and they look pretty nice in hand...I will continue to buy for sure...I dont buy and bust boxes/cases to make money...I buy the singles that i like for my pc and i bust or enter breaks once in awhile for fun...I know the risks, so if i dont get anything good i dont get all but hurt about it and start crying about it on a public forum...This is strictly a Hobby for me so from my point of view i think Panini is doing a decent job!..Sorry if i offended anyone with this statement...
I'm in the same boat as you.....I buy singles I like and bust the occasional box when i can. Its a hobby first and foremost and i simply like collecting cards for my PC. There are quite a few Panini cards I don't particularly like but overall the ones I do like outweigh the ones I don't.
Lee42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #227 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
Without those who blow 1000s on these products then you wouldn't have any singles to pick from in the first place; what they deem as satisfactory/unsatisfactory product determines what goes in your PC. Don't assert yourself too highly cause you don't bust
Uhh that's why I said I'm not mad, since their perceived loss is my gain. I'm not looking down on anyone lol, if that's what you're trying to spin. If spending waay less while still being happy in this hobby is bad in comparison to the complete opposite,then so be it. But the solution to crappy products is not throwing more money at them. Lol. I just don't get the swearing up and down about never buying Panini again, then buying more a week later to moan more.

Oh, and

Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #228 (permalink)
Banned

i think when there was some competition among the many brands, while they did churn the presses as much as today, at least there were some variety and some "intrigue" to the various products/brands out there.

Lets say with football, there is topps and panini, i know what i am expecting, or I should expect from the different brands. there is variety. in panini i can expect mem and auto cards with the low parallels/SP and so forth. I can expect a shiny hit and in all boxes, i can expect at least one scrub auto a pack, 1-2 GU, a patch and or a RPA. in Topps, I know i am getting more autos in certain products than Panini, i can expect a main hit plus a random of another 1-2 hits. Which is why when i used to burn my pocket in sealed boxes, I get a topps and a panini per month.

the problem, could be the fact that panini is the only brand and we have the same expectation just because we can forsee what we are getting. i wont complain about sticker autos, everyone else did that. i cant complain about scrub autos, werent we complaining about GU before? but i know what i am getting each release, only that the design is different. but to me, a billups in one product is a billups in another. he hasnt grown wings from one set to another. the checklist is the same....perhaps what we want is more competition. yet when we had competition, we complained about too many sets/boxes products i say out of all the above, perhaps more competition should be brought back.

but like orangejello has mentioned, your choice and my choice wont be the same, but if you dont like it, dont buy it. if you want something, wait for the group break fools and case break fools to open and die, and then buy their singles off ebay, COMC or here.

oh and i have a friend who complains just liek anyone else about why panini sucks...so i ask why do you open? he said oh bc i get chris chri5784 to do it, and its cool to have him open for me. and like he has my vid all over the web. his money, his choice but also, his immaturity.

with less dealers nationwide and globally and with group break accounts, panini can narrow its sales to these people and when they sell out in the first and second lots from the factory, they have made thier moeny and they dont need to worry. its not like they ship one case or two to one person or one shop and they need to maintain, i think its the dealers that have to do the most worrying everytime a product comes out. my uncle has a shop in NY, he has to order a minimum each month from hobby direct and from his dealers in the first round.

Last edited by Ironcourtcards; 01-12-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Ironcourtcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #229 (permalink)

Quote:
Without those who blow 1000s on these products then you wouldn't have any singles to pick from in the first place; what they deem as satisfactory/unsatisfactory product determines what goes in your PC. Don't assert yourself too highly cause you don't bust
Dude, how can you even talk. You've been collecting since 03. That was when the hobby was at it's highest point. Upper Deck was pumping out products due to the historic rookie class and everyone came back to the hobby. You weren't hear in the late 90's or earlue 00's. You don't have a clear view of the hobby and how it has evolved. You came in at the highest point and now it's pretty much back to where it was. It's just the people who came in at the highest point want it to go back there.
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #230 (permalink)
Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
Dude, how can you even talk. You've been collecting since 03. That was when the hobby was at it's highest point. Upper Deck was pumping out products due to the historic rookie class and everyone came back to the hobby. You weren't hear in the late 90's or earlue 00's. You don't have a clear view of the hobby and how it has evolved. You came in at the highest point and now it's pretty much back to where it was. It's just the people who came in at the highest point want it to go back there.
Maybe, hobby was really fun at the time. But I remember 09-10 Panini products being better then they are now though.

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #231 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
Was exquisite basketball this year that much better than the panini stuff?
Exquisite and All time greats were bad this year. BUt you dont see anyone up in arms and hulking up about it do you? Why? BEcause its UD and UD gets a pass when they dont do things right! Believe me there are numerous members here in denial.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #232 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee42 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you.....I buy singles I like and bust the occasional box when i can. Its a hobby first and foremost and i simply like collecting cards for my PC. There are quite a few Panini cards I don't particularly like but overall the ones I do like outweigh the ones I don't.
You know why Lee? You tend to focus your hobby goals on what you like. Thats why its enjoyment for you. Others seem hell bent on the things they dont like it in a product. Instead of focussing time and energy on obtaining cards they do like, the end up getting sidetracked and frustrated with everything they dont want or like.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #233 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Maybe, hobby was really fun at the time. But I remember 09-10 Panini products being better then they are now though.
It was fun because you came into the hobby curing its highest point. Even higher than the post lockout VC era. There have only been a few high points in basketball card history. They all follow a player hype ..

1992 with Shaq
1998 with VC (more like 99)
2003 with Lebron

Other than that there was no real pre draft excitement. Lebron was by far the biggest one. The mid 00s was probably the biggest draft hype in history for most sports. Lebron in 03, Crosby/Ovechkin in 05 for UD that was prime time in the 2 sports they excelled in. Ironically UD came out with exquisite in time for the Lebron hype. The Cup just in time for Crosby. Perfect timing as no other draft year would have been able to carry a $500/pack so easily with the attention of these rookies.

Like NJnets stated... when you come into the market at its prime, you basically have nowhere to go but down once it sustaining is over. It sustained for a few years and boom...drop. Weak rookie crops, a lockout and financial trouble for UD with the economy going into a recession and a couple of wars in-between. WHat did you expect? The cycle happend. The only thing that didnt change was the mind set of basketball card flippers. The time of profitting from new collectors in the hobby due to Lebron/Crosby died down. THe marketplaced slowed its pace while foreclosures and job losses took place. But the flippers still needed their high risk high reward product to turn a buck.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #234 (permalink)

You guys are all crazy (except OrangeJello, who is incredibly sane). Panini puts out some of the most innovative and awe-inspiring products in the hobby.

SMh...
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #235 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
You guys are all crazy (except OrangeJello, who is incredibly sane). Panini puts out some of the most innovative and awe-inspiring products in the hobby.

SMh...
I see what you did there. You used sarcasm.....
Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #236 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake03svtf View Post
Those dual jersey swivel cards on their 4 box teaser are so stupid.
I agree. They are trying to make their cards look cool but they aren't lol
BBCollector99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
I see what you did there. You used sarcasm.....
Did you figure that out all by yourself? Didn't know they had sarcasm in Maine smh
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
Was exquisite basketball this year that much better than the panini stuff?
No, it was horrible. Basically exquisite this year was Press Pass on steroids.

I really think the collegiate stuff is losing people's interest.

UD needs their NBA license back.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #239 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Did you figure that out all by yourself? Didn't know they had sarcasm in Maine smh
This nut job is here to have the thread shut down. He pulled that stunt off in the off topic section with fullmetal calling him out. Now he's here to envoke his crusade.

You were being racist in that thread and had it shutdown. Now you're bored and here trying to pull the same stunt.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #240 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
This nut job is here to have the thread shut down. He pulled that stunt off in the off topic section with fullmetal calling him out. Now he's here to envoke his crusade.

You were being racist in that thread and had it shutdown. Now you're bored and here trying to pull the same stunt.
What in the hell are you talking about? How paranoid/delusional are you?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #241 (permalink)

Quote:
More members growing tired of your act... Not surprised.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #242 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Orangejello727 = Tracy Hackler

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #243 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Not at all. Your post are 70% sarcastic, 20% putdowns and personal attacks, 5% truth and 5% genuine.

Based on those stats, I dont know when you are genuine or being sarcastic. 90% of your posts are usually to attack me. So I took your comment as the majority!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #244 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Orangejello727 = Tracy Hackler
I thought Pinoyblackmamba was Tracy

Tristan20 = Richard McWilliams
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #245 (permalink)

Quote:
Tristan20 = Richard McWilliams
I spot a flaw in that theory...
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #246 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
I spot a flaw in that theory...
Flawed just as much as me being Tracy Hackler!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #247 (permalink)

Quote:
I thought Pinoyblackmamba was Tracy
Totally agree with this...

Though earlier mentioned that people didn't complain about Exquisite this year - yes I remember many saying how horrible it would be/was with college uniforms and identical photos. I would never have bought the product even if I had that kind of money for cards. Yuck.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #248 (permalink)
Banned

I dont know if Tracy is on the boards in hiding, but Im 100% certain keith is here somewhere. He has shown himself on other forums, and im pretty sure he is lurking here as well. As a registered member.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #249 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

People that bust cases do it because they want the chance to pull the big one, its similar to gambling.

No one in their right mind would bust a case to pull players they collect, that's a lie and is ridiculous. They would just buy singles.

Fact is Panini doesn't put a single card that you can pull from a case that would basically pay for the case itself.

Collectors don't bust cases, gamblers do. Panini puts out some nice sets, but for every nice set, they dump it with 10 bad ugly ones. If they combine a few nice sets and cut down on the products every week, they would have something going.

It kills set collectors when they try to complete a set and no one is busting it anymore because there is so much new stuff out there that people can't even keep up.

!

Last edited by tristan20; 01-12-2013 at 06:37 PM.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #250 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
People that bust cases do it because they want the chance to pull the big one, its similar to gambling.

No one in their right mind would bust a case to pull players they collect, that's a lie and is ridiculous. They would just buy singles.

Fact is Panini doesn't put a single card that you can pull from a case that would basically pay for the case itself.

Collectors don't bust cases, gamblers do. Panini puts out some nice sets, but for every nice set, they dump it with 10 bad ugly ones. If they combine a few nice sets and cut down on the products every week, they would have something going.

It kills set collectors when they try to complete a set and no one is busting it anymore because there is so much new stuff out there that people can't even keep up.
Can you name 1 player outside of MJ that you can pull a card of that could sell for more than a case of that product?

If you look on ebay, there are people busting product. Hence why there are so many singles on ebay.