Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #251 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Can you name 1 player outside of MJ that you can pull a card of that could sell for more than a case of that product?

If you look on ebay, there are people busting product. Hence why there are so many singles on ebay.
Thats the thing, UD has MJ and Panini doesn't.

Not sure why Panini charges the prices they do.

People are busting the products, but does that mean they are happy with the results?

If panini had competition, I am sure no one would bust their stuff, if they continued down the same path.

Why can't they use some football and hockey designs/print quality? Those products are so much better, so its not like Panini can't do it, its the fact that they dont want to.

Monopolies suck, but what can we do?

ALBUM http://www.finalsmvp.com/

Last edited by tristan20; 01-12-2013 at 07:55 PM.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #252 (permalink)

Tracy has an answer for everything.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #253 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Tracy has an answer for everything.
Not when I asked him if retail prizm will continue to be produced
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #254 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Thats the thing, UD has MJ and Panini doesn't.

Not sure why Panini charges the prices they do.

People are busting the products, but does that mean they are happy with the results?

If panini had competition, I am sure no one would bust their stuff, if they continued down the same path.

Why can't they use some football and hockey designs/print quality? Those products are so much better, so its not like Panini can't do it, its the fact that they dont want to.

Monopolies suck, but what can we do?
Maybe the problem is that exclusive MJ contract that UD has in place. Seems like if you cant match MJ/Lebron exclusive contract up with a NBA license, its not worth much. Thats the key formula. Give Panini that Lebron/MJ contract see what happens!

Look at Leaf. It has 1/2 the puzzle. Lillard auto exclusive but no NBA license. So its going half the job by matching up its auto exclusive with an NBA card they dont produce. Itll do well but not as well as it could be.

Remove the exclusive contracts and lets back back to business!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #255 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe the problem is that exclusive MJ contract that UD has in place. Seems like if you cant match MJ/Lebron exclusive contract up with a NBA license, its not worth much. Thats the key formula. Give Panini that Lebron/MJ contract see what happens!

Look at Leaf. It has 1/2 the puzzle. Lillard auto exclusive but no NBA license. So its going half the job by matching up its auto exclusive with an NBA card they dont produce. Itll do well but not as well as it could be.

Remove the exclusive contracts and lets back back to business!
Remove the NBA exclusivity to Panini and lets see how long they last lol
Prices would be down and Quality would be up.

Trust me if Panini gets Jordan or Lebron, the prices of their products would be x3

Last edited by tristan20; 01-12-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #256 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Trust me if Panini gets Jordan or Lebron, the prices of their products would be x3
What if UD stiffs more players and starts to back door fake cards like they did to Konami? What then?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #257 (permalink)

Quote:
What if UD stiffs more players and starts to back door fake cards like they did to Konami? What then?
Every company does it, to think that Panini doesn't is turning a blind eye.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #258 (permalink)

In my opinion we need Upper Deck and Topps to get back in the game. Panini will never be close to what Upper Deck was in both quality and content. Sure they had their problems, but what company doesn't. Anytime you have a company (Panini) that essentially does not even have to worry about customer satisfaction you will have a problem. If we could get UD and Topps back I think Panini would have to really step up their game or they may not survive. I sure miss the days of Exquisite, SP Authentic and Chrome all of which have cult like followings. If those products were produced today I think it would force Panini to develop a product that would stand the test of time and I am not talking about their Hybrid Topps Chrome / Finest wannabe Prizm.

Jeremy
hearseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #259 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearseguy View Post
In my opinion we need Upper Deck and Topps to get back in the game. Panini will never be close to what Upper Deck was in both quality and content. Sure they had their problems, but what company doesn't. Anytime you have a company (Panini) that essentially does not even have to worry about customer satisfaction you will have a problem. If we could get UD and Topps back I think Panini would have to really step up their game or they may not survive. I sure miss the days of Exquisite, SP Authentic and Chrome all of which have cult like followings. If those products were produced today I think it would force Panini to develop a product that would stand the test of time and I am not talking about their Hybrid Topps Chrome / Finest wannabe Prizm.

Jeremy

This is what bothers me. I agree with you all about how Panini has been terrible. How their designs all look the same, most have a cheap feel to them, and it seems as if they are not even trying. I agree. But when people say things like this, it bothers me. Upper Deck had the worst customer service I have ever seen. They did not give two craps about whether the customer was satisfied. They were awful. Stop acting like they were some kind of angel and did no wrong.
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #260 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
This is what bothers me. I agree with you all about how Panini has been terrible. How their designs all look the same, most have a cheap feel to them, and it seems as if they are not even trying. I agree. But when people say things like this, it bothers me. Upper Deck had the worst customer service I have ever seen. They did not give two craps about whether the customer was satisfied. They were awful. Stop acting like they were some kind of angel and did no wrong.
I never said that they were angels. As the matter of fact I said that they had their problems. My problem is that back then if I did not like Upper Deck I could spend my money elsewhere. My main complaint is the monopoly. I have seen this with various different businesses, once a company has a lock on a product or service their mindset changes. When there is competition involved the mindset of the company is, try to come up with ways to "steal" customers away from the the other companies. Once the competition is gone the mindset changes to how many cookie cutter products or services can we get these people to buy.
hearseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #261 (permalink)

Panini basketball, football, and baseball all look the same.... like garbage

Prizm might be the only good thing they have. Even NT is looking bad this year for FB.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #262 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmtampa View Post

Prizm might be the only good thing they have. Even NT is looking bad this year for FB.
I think Panini Cards look really nice, but they are executed poorly.

They have some really nice photographs but a lot of times the way they print the cards, especially the inserts, just makes them seem like cheap base cards.

Hopefully now that they have the chrome technology we will see some inserts in lower end products that are chrome style. That would be pretty cool
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #263 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmtampa View Post

Have to disagree with you there. While I think they don't make much effort with basketball, they do make SOME nice football cards.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #264 (permalink)

Man.... you guys still complaining?? :P
hahaha

I haven't read through all of this, but has anyone suggested to actually start a list of ideas to send to Panini? Instead of just complaining, why not try something positive??

I get that people don't like it, I get that people want UD and Topps back, but it isn;t happening right now!
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #265 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob50 View Post
Man.... you guys still complaining?? :P
hahaha

I haven't read through all of this, but has anyone suggested to actually start a list of ideas to send to Panini? Instead of just complaining, why not try something positive??

I get that people don't like it, I get that people want UD and Topps back, but it isn;t happening right now!
Honestly, they should get rid of the people who run the basketball department, especially Hackler.
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #266 (permalink)

Quote:

if panini didnt have the exclusivity, i think they would still be producing basketball cards. take away mj and lebron from upper deck, ud wouldnt waiste there time with basketball.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #267 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
Honestly, they should get rid of the people who run the basketball department, especially Hackler.
Not convinced that would help. You would want a complete new team making the decisions?? Even though they are just acting on directives from above?

I think offering up some suggestions in a constructive manner would get a better result!
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #268 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
if panini didnt have the exclusivity, i think they would still be producing basketball cards. take away mj and lebron from upper deck, ud wouldnt waiste there time with basketball.
Exactly, could you imagine if UD had the license how well they could put chase cards into even, say, low end products?
Or imagine if Topps had the license as well, Panini would be FORCED to narrow down some of the junk they put into said sets, and would actually have many great products out.... Not just one or two.