Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinotron View Post
By the way, the refracting pattern looks like cheap postcards bought from museum gift shop, and hope they can do more fancy version to basketball next year.
It does look kinda of busy . I am glad they did /25 golds in football . I would like to pick up a luck for $200-300 bucks .
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #27 (permalink)

yeah, they'll look beautiful with a freakin autographed sticker slapped on them right there in the auto window....some probably off center, most with autos that run off the sticker.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

I think that Prizm will be a long running set for Panini and I'm hoping that in the long run this first set will hold value being the inaugural one.

Anyone agree, or do you guys think as it becomes bigger and improved this first set will lose value?
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
I think that Prizm will be a long running set for Panini and I'm hoping that in the long run this first set will hold value being the inaugural one.

Anyone agree, or do you guys think as it becomes bigger and improved this first set will lose value?
I agree, the original /10 golds will hold higher value since they are the original. Also 1/1 will be so crazy expensive and rare that most people wont be able to chase them, thus increasing the prices of all prizms. Afterall there is only 1 in the world. It would be cool if they made 5/5 black prizms. If five are out there, more people have it and and show it off and get the buzz going. We all know that one rich crazy collector is going to hoard all the black 1/1s. Thats no fun =/

Wow, if i had to guess, I would say black Kyries/Kobe/Durant/Lillards go for 10k+

Last edited by SocraticGoat777; 01-13-2013 at 03:33 PM.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #30 (permalink)

All this is going to do is make Topps Chrome and all of it's variations worth a lot less.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticGoat777 View Post
I agree, the original /10 golds will hold higher value since they are the original. Also 1/1 will be so crazy expensive and rare that most people wont be able to chase them, thus increasing the prices of all prizms. Afterall there is only 1 in the world. It would be cool if they made 5/5 black prizms. If five are out there, more people have it and and show it off and get the buzz going. We all know that one rich crazy collector is going to hoard all the black 1/1s. Thats no fun =/

Wow, if i had to guess, I would say black Kyries/Kobe/Durant/Lillards go for 10k+
Keeps dreaming, you also said something like Lillard prizm /10 will be a 8k card. LOL. Kobe solid gold 1/1 when it first came out is nowhere close to 10k, no chance this will get 10k plus. With that amount of money, many other top cards can be had. People have choices, and this one is nice but not THE one to have.

PLMK if you want to sell cards which I might need. Thx!
spinotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #32 (permalink)

look at this way. 10 golds = a least a decent shot at one... 1/1s most likely no shot if it gets in the hands of a supercollector who will never let it go.
LeonfromNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Keeps dreaming, you also said something like Lillard prizm /10 will be a 8k card. LOL. Kobe solid gold 1/1 when it first came out is nowhere close to 10k, no chance this will get 10k plus. With that amount of money, many other top cards can be had. People have choices, and this one is nice but not THE one to have.
I think if they had 1/1 in Prizm they would easily be the best Rookie card to have.

What would be better?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

There has to be a balance in a product when it comes to tier levels of parallels or numbered parallels. If you have too many levels it kills the product. If you dont have enough it hinders the product. Look at topps finest. They had like 5 colours, and 5 types of tiers which in my opinion killed the product. Yes you could pull a /19 refractor. But then you could pull like 15 versions of it. The product needs a balance that creates 2 things.. 1. A marketplace and 2. sense of rarity. By creating a sense of rarity you create the demand for collectors. By creating a marketplace, you give the opportunity for that select parallel to thrive in competition.

This is the reason why 1/1 dont do as well as /10 green PMGs in my opinion. WIth /10 you have enough to create the demand and drive it with a marketplace of buying/selling. With a 1/1 you essentially can do it with just 1.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Panini Football and Hockey always get the best designs etc, still don't understand why

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I still believe that the Kobe/Lebron/Durant/lillard/kyrie will be 5-10k cards in a few months maybe next year. Markets take time to adjust, eager beaver. As people have been saying a 10/10 could be worth more than a 1/1 if demand is higher for the 10/10. This obviously wont happen for black prizm, because it is the same set as gold prizm. That is why we are saying that the prices of golds will be higher, since blacks will push them up.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I think if they had 1/1 in Prizm they would easily be the best Rookie card to have.

What would be better?
Maybe for Lillard if they did it in 12-13 release. National Treasures Base logoman 1/1 auto will be the best one for rookies. If rookies are not so hot at the time of design, maybe NT base logo tag 1/1 auto (like Lin).

If prizm 1/1 in 13-14 sold for 10k plus, what will a true logoman auto 1/1 sell for?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Panini Football and Hockey always get the best designs etc, still don't understand why
I think in Prizm its because basketball was the test release. If was the first version of prizm (hockey had it but it wasnt chrome). I cant talk for other products tho.

Maybe the product development manager for basketball isnt as market experienced as the hockey and football guys over at Panini. They would definately need to do with something about that.

I honestly wouldnt mind seeing a standard look to every product across all sports and brands. So Prizm would be the same sequence and design as the football and hockey version. Only issue with that is what sells in basketball doesnt always do as well in footbally or hockey and vice versa.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Maybe people are less well-funded and choosy and they have to make product attractive to sell. Also basketball is the testing field sometimes, but which also makes them true historic first.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I think in Prizm its because basketball was the test release. If was the first version of prizm (hockey had it but it wasnt chrome). I cant talk for other products tho.

Maybe the product development manager for basketball isnt as market experienced as the hockey and football guys over at Panini. They would definately need to do with something about that.

I honestly wouldnt mind seeing a standard look to every product across all sports and brands. So Prizm would be the same sequence and design as the football and hockey version. Only issue with that is what sells in basketball doesnt always do as well in footbally or hockey and vice versa.
Exactly, heard that exquisite creator is working for Panini hockey.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe for Lillard if they did it in 12-13 release. National Treasures Base logoman 1/1 auto will be the best one for rookies. If rookies are not so hot at the time of design, maybe NT base logo tag 1/1 auto (like Lin).

If prizm 1/1 in 13-14 sold for 10k plus, what will a true logoman auto 1/1 sell for?
THat is a huge assumption. I as a collector would rather have a 1/1 black prizm auto over NT product. NT product aint original to me, black prizm is new and one of a kind
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Maybe people are less well-funded and choosy and they have to make product attractive to sell. Also basketball is the testing field sometimes, but which also makes them true historic first.
That's what I'm thinking.

I don't have super high end cards by any means, but I do have a Kobe regular refractor version of all his prizm cards minus the autograph.

I don't think these will be worth hundreds by any means, and i don't plan to sell them, but it'd be nice if they kept a good value in case I do have to sell someday
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
THat is a huge assumption. I as a collector would rather have a 1/1 black prizm auto over NT product. NT product aint original to me, black prizm is new and one of a kind
Thats simply based on taste. I much rather have a Lillard 1/1 from NT. Top tier card from a top tier product. But to each their own!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Thats simply based on taste. I much rather have a Lillard 1/1 from NT. Top tier card from a top tier product. But to each their own!
Exactly. Its not like if black kyrie prizm goes from 8k to 10k, the price of Kyrie NT is gonna drop from 10k to 8k. THey both have their own demand based on different preferences from collectors. So both will be super high demand
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Reasonable assumption.

Exquisite ~ NT
Superfractor ~ Prizm finite black

When you have exquisite AP 1/1, or a shiny superfractor, which one would you choose? DH12 RC super was a 2k card back then, Ultimate logoman auto RC will be 6k plus around the same time, exquisite AP 1/1 way more.

Similarly, since we only have NT and prizm now, and also an upgrade from AP 1/1 to logoman auto 1/1, the choice is more obvious. At least in terms of MV.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Reasonable assumption.

Exquisite ~ NT
Superfractor ~ Prizm finite black

When you have exquisite AP 1/1, or a shiny superfractor, which one would you choose? DH12 RC super was a 2k card back then, Ultimate logoman auto RC will be 6k plus around the same time, exquisite AP 1/1 way more.

Similarly, since we only have NT and prizm now, and also an upgrade from AP 1/1 to logoman auto 1/1, the choice is more obvious. At least in terms of MV.
We see your logic, but that is still assuming future based on past. Its like saying blackberry will always be the best and most sought after smartphone. Than Iphone came and blasted it. Prizm is ALOT nicer than superfractor imho. You are also assuming the order of demand, which is impossible to do. Collectors wants and demands change when product changes. Also they are a monopoly now, so they dont have competition.

Last edited by SocraticGoat777; 01-13-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
We see your logic, but that is still assuming future based on past. Its like saying blackberry will always be the best and most sought after smartphone. Than Iphone came and blasted it. Prizm is ALOT nicer than superfractor imho. You are also assuming the order of demand, which is impossible to do. Collectors wants and demands change when product changes.
There is less clear of an order when prices are at reasonable levels, 200-2000 or so, as more people can afford those if they really love it. But when you talking about 10k level, it's a different story, strictly based on who is collecting and how he thinks.

I saw for HOF, prizm gold /10 sells similar price as 10-11 NT 1/1 base plain card, because we are talking about 100-150, price is volatile, also becasue we are looking at a red hot and historically first product against a forgotten second year release when there is more and better parallels in this same design. Also 1/1 just cannot outsell a popular /10 card due to comparison and manipulation etc.

I can see prizm finite black of a moderate to good player sells 0.5-1 times to logoman auto 1/1 from NT. Because price level is still low and depends on plyer collectors. But when you talk about Kobe, top rookies, it depends on who are collecting them. I know most Kobe collectors collecting these. And I don't think they would value finite black as highly as NT logoman auto 1/1. Definitely not worth more, no chance.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:

What would be better?
Just wait for nt and rpas...this good fad will be old news...logoman auto 1/1s? They'll be the card to have.
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking.

I don't have super high end cards by any means, but I do have a Kobe regular refractor version of all his prizm cards minus the autograph.

I don't think these will be worth hundreds by any means, and i don't plan to sell them, but it'd be nice if they kept a good value in case I do have to sell someday
Kobe prizm refractor should hold value if you bought at pre-hype prices. Congrats!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
There is less clear of an order when prices are at reasonable levels, 200-2000 or so, as more people can afford those if they really love it. But when you talking about 10k level, it's a different story, strictly based on who is collecting and how he thinks.

I saw for HOF, prizm gold /10 sells similar price as 10-11 NT 1/1 base plain card, because we are talking about 100-150, price is volatile, also becasue we are looking at a red hot and historically first product against a forgotten second year release when there is more and better parallels in this same design. Also 1/1 just cannot outsell a popular /10 card due to comparison and manipulation etc.

I can see prizm finite black of a moderate to good player sells 0.5-1 times to logoman auto 1/1 from NT. Because price level is still low and depends on plyer collectors. But when you talk about Kobe, top rookies, it depends on who are collecting them. I know most Kobe collectors collecting these. And I don't think they would value finite black as highly as NT logoman auto 1/1. Definitely not worth more, no chance.

Yeah, All we really know for a fact is that people will demand both these products and they will sell like hot cakes. People will want to invest in these. Noone knows whether black/gold prizm or NT will be higher value.