Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hche View Post
For prizm, I dont mean to give it another 10 colors. Just 1 numbered to like 100 and 1 numbered to 1. Or do it like FB with a color that is 1 per box. So the boxes are a little more colorful.
This is one thing I don't understand. Why would you want ones numbered to 100? Unless you mean the regular refractor ones? I would agree that they could have done one numbered to one (even if it was just the rookies or something), but I do not see any point in doing a version numbered to 100.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
I don't remember seeing too many one coloured patches from Panini. Perhaps you were thinking of Upper Deck?
It's things like this -

Though I'm sure UD did it too. Some teams only have single-colored number and/or letter patches so it's only natural.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
I don't remember seeing too many one coloured patches from Panini. Perhaps you were thinking of Upper Deck?
Go watch the breaks on BlogTV. You will see a lot.
hche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
This is one thing I don't understand. Why would you want ones numbered to 100? Unless you mean the regular refractor ones? I would agree that they could have done one numbered to one (even if it was just the rookies or something), but I do not see any point in doing a version numbered to 100.
So it is possible to make a color set? It's almost impossible and extremely expensive to make the gold set. Some people make think the reg. no color too plain?

Last edited by hche; 01-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
hche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
isn't private signing kind of like autographics back in the old days. Cross brand auto set.
Yes, it's kind of like Autographics mega-sets back in the 90's.
The difference is that "Private Signings" is separated into multiple smaller sets for different Panini products, with different players being "assigned" to each of these sets. Also, technically speaking, not every Panini release has this insert set since the introduction of the current card design.
There is no smaller-set separation for Autographics, if I am correct (at least not that I can find of, otherwise it would probably be mentioned in Beckett magazines).

Actually, I like it even more if Panini doesn't separate "Private Signings" into smaller sets, making it a completely mega cross-brand set like Autographics.
- HOF on-card autographs, and anything that catches my eyes
bjho852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
jj2

Quote:
Go watch the breaks on BlogTV. You will see a lot.
I watch almost all of Chris' breaks on Youtube and rarely see any. I'm not saying Panini are perfect in this area but, at least in my experience, it's something they seem to do better than a lot of other manufacturers .

Last edited by jj2; 01-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
jj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjho852 View Post
Yes, it's kind of like Autographics mega-sets back in the 90's.
The difference is that "Private Signings" is separated into multiple smaller sets for different Panini products, with different players being "assigned" to each of these sets. Also, technically speaking, not every Panini release has this insert set since the introduction of the current card design.
There is no smaller-set separation for Autographics, if I am correct (at least not that I can find of, otherwise it would probably be mentioned in Beckett magazines).

Actually, I like it even more if Panini doesn't separate "Private Signings" into smaller sets, making it a completely mega cross-brand set like Autographics.
Actually in Skybox autographics, for certain players, you have to buy "premium" skybox products to get. There are a lot of players overlapping in every skybox products. But for certain players (especially RC), you can't pull these RC auto from 96-97 Hoops series 1. You have to buy like EX-2000 to get it. The concept works for collectors since you put big ticket in more expensive products while putting average player autos in a weaker/cheaper boxes.

Also, the first year is 1:72. Later year, the keep high ratio in cheaper products. And lower the ratio to 1:24 in higher end products.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #58 (permalink)

I am actually a big supporter of Panini the fact I can open a $120 box compared to a $600 or more box of Exquisite and pull this card im about to show is nice. I also like the fact they are pretty creative when it comes to releases or bring back sorta old designs we aint seen in awhile. I like products like Preferred cause there is such a variety to the product the diecut autos the Silhouette patch autos you name it its nice. But I also gotta say Prizm great product only downfall is they need more parallels thats the only bad thing I can say about it. But my favorite product I look forward to when I spend alot of cash is National Treasures Basketball cant go wrong with it cause Panini puts such a variety into it. Another note I love all the different vets and the exclusive players you see with Panini cause sometimes with Upper Deck you have to rip tons and tons to find Key Players. But if your not looking to spend much Totally Certified is my favorite rip cause I pulled this bad boy from the only box I did.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Actually in Skybox autographics, for certain players, you have to buy "premium" skybox products to get. There are a lot of players overlapping in every skybox products. But for certain players (especially RC), you can't pull these RC auto from 96-97 Hoops series 1. You have to buy like EX-2000 to get it. The concept works for collectors since you put big ticket in more expensive products while putting average player autos in a weaker/cheaper boxes.

Also, the first year is 1:72. Later year, the keep high ratio in cheaper products. And lower the ratio to 1:24 in higher end products.
Oh I see. Thanks so much for letting me know about it. I never knew that until today (back when these cards were released, I was in Hong Kong and was merely a student - not much time and money to spend on cards).
Such way of insertion of cards (including the ratios) definitely makes sense.
I remember that for Hoops later on, the ratio went as high as 1:144.

I do hope that these Panini "Private Signings" cards can have a similar framework too (different but consistent ratios depending on products, and being a mega-set), instead of just "randomly inserted in packs" and having multiple smaller sets.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
I do hope that these Panini "Private Signings" cards can have a similar framework too (different but consistent ratios depending on products, and being a mega-set), instead of just "randomly inserted in packs" and having multiple smaller sets.
Private Signings have 2 set designs (one for current players and one for retired players)

Cheers
Matt
Lee42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh I see. Thanks so much for letting me know about it. I never knew that until today (back when these cards were released, I was in Hong Kong and was merely a student - not much time and money to spend on cards).
Such way of insertion of cards (including the ratios) definitely makes sense.
I remember that for Hoops later on, the ratio went as high as 1:144.

Just to give you more information....

Skybox originally thought to put in redemption for these Autographics (like those RC Update insert redemption in UD). However, the management group said it is not fair for collectors to pull a Grant Hill redemption after 2 years release and not be able to get the actual card due to expiration. So, they released this historical autographics set within the pack by putting different players into different products. This way, they can release autos faster if the players return the cards back to Skybox. And if there is delay, they can put back into later products.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee42 View Post
Private Signings have 2 set designs (one for current players and one for retired players)

Cheers
Matt
I know, horizontal for current and vertical for retired (if I am correct), but the overall design "framework" is similar - dark/black background with some gold "foil" on the sides, then some white space on the bottom part of cards.

You misunderstood my meaning in my previous messages though.

Last edited by bjho852; 01-15-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Just to give you more information....

Skybox originally thought to put in redemption for these Autographics (like those RC Update insert redemption in UD). However, the management group said it is not fair for collectors to pull a Grant Hill redemption after 2 years release and not be able to get the actual card due to expiration. So, they released this historical autographics set within the pack by putting different players into different products. This way, they can release autos faster if the players return the cards back to Skybox. And if there is delay, they can put back into later products.
Thank you. It's cool for me to know this too.
With such a mega-set back then, I guess that SkyBox probably started contacting players for signing long before the release, or, at the very least, started producing the cards long before the release.
Similar thing probably happened to "Private Signings" cards - when I came across with an auction for the Blake Griffin card, I found out that the back of the card states "2011 Panini America"....even though it's released in this season's Absolute, the company probably made the card long time ago.