Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone wanna explain what Detroit is thinking with Drummond?

Besides Greg Monroe, it seems like this guy can be their best player this year but he doesn't get the minutes. Guy plays 9 minutes in the first half v. the Knicks and has 9 pts and 5 rbs with no turnovers and 2 blks? Not good enough to get any minutes in the 3rd quarter? What are they thinking?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hes 19 years old, seeing 19 minutes per game. They have legitimate veterans in front of him. He is shooting 39% from the line, and still raw as can be.

They are doing exactly what they should.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
Hes 19 years old, seeing 19 minutes per game. They have legitimate veterans in front of him. He is shooting 39% from the line, and still raw as can be.

They are doing exactly what they should.
I haven't seen him play but plenty of raw talents are getting more minutes than him, 19 per game seems low for his level of production per minute. Incidentally, that team sucks, Jason Maxiel and co. do not count as legit vets. I think he should be playing 25 per at this point, maybe 19 was fine the first month or two of the season, he seems to be able to score and rebound and he did that against a good defensive team today in the first half.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
I haven't seen him play but plenty of raw talents are getting more minutes than him, 19 per game seems low for his level of production per minute. Incidentally, that team sucks, Jason Maxiel and co. do not count as legit vets. I think he should be playing 25 per at this point, maybe 19 was fine the first month or two of the season, he seems to be able to score and rebound and he did that against a good defensive team today in the first half.
Ok name a few
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

39% free throw percentage is awful
OKCThunder35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Amare was guarding him.....
jbmets95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

He has the highest PER of any teenager in the NBA ever. Better than LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, Jordan, etc. just throwing it out there, but you don't rush guys like this, it isn't worth it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Drummond is pretty good, he seems to be loved by a good amount of blowout users for some reason
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

usually young raw big men foul alot!!!!
drummond dosent appear too... (i have only seen him play this year 1 time against the clips, so i cant really commment on him)
has some nice per minute stats (rebs/blocks) fg% and PER
keeping him on the bench wont help or hurt that awful ft %..
maybe he is just one of those shaq/wilt/dwight FT type guys..

Andre Drummond NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCThunder35 View Post
39% free throw percentage is awful
Yup. Your boy Tristan Thompson was in a similar boat last year due to his inability to make free throws. Its hard for a young kid with a huge deficiency in a major stat column to jump into the starting lineup, no matter how talented they are. DeAndre Jordan was one too.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Drummond is beast.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettydaw1970 View Post
usually young raw big men foul alot!!!!
drummond dosent appear too... (i have only seen him play this year 1 time against the clips, so i cant really commment on him)
has some nice per minute stats (rebs/blocks) fg% and PER
keeping him on the bench wont help or hurt that awful ft %..
maybe he is just one of those shaq/wilt/dwight FT type guys..

Andre Drummond NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Sky is the limit for Drummond, no doubt. He could wind up shooting 80% free throws, who knows. Fact is, he cannot make one to save his life, right now, thats one major reason hes coming off the bench. Probably would be regardless, but I digress.

Shaq, was coming out of college, the #1 pick, and a 60% FT shooter. No comparison.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yup. Your boy Tristan Thompson was in a similar boat last year due to his inability to make free throws. Its hard for a young kid with a huge deficiency in a major stat column to jump into the starting lineup, no matter how talented they are. DeAndre Jordan was one too.
atleast my boy was shooting over 50%, 55.2% to be exact
OKCThunder35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Sky is the limit for Drummond, no doubt. He could wind up shooting 80% free throws, who knows. Fact is, he cannot make one to save his life, right now, thats one major reason hes coming off the bench. Probably would be regardless, but I digress.

Shaq, was coming out of college, the #1 pick, and a 60% FT shooter. No comparison.
Shaq got 30 points and 15 rebound and 3 blocks. Not this guy.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

NBA - Statistics by Position - Yahoo! Sports

I don't know what would make you happy as far as how many people get more min than Drummond but a good amount do and a handful that are 19 or 20 y/o and 1 and done guys or foreign guys. Remember he was the #9 pick, he should get a fair amount of minutes right away unless he's known to be injury prone and they want to be extra careful.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Shaq, was coming out of college, the #1 pick, and a 60% FT shooter. No comparison.[/QUOTE]

i dont think you get the gist of what i was saying..

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
NBA - Statistics by Position - Yahoo! Sports

I don't know what would make you happy as far as how many people get more min than Drummond but a good amount do and a handful that are 19 or 20 y/o and 1 and done guys or foreign guys. Remember he was the #9 pick, he should get a fair amount of minutes right away unless he's known to be injury prone and they want to be extra careful.
You said many do, the least you could do is rattle off a few that you feel are raw as well, that get more minutes than him.

Believe me, theres no need for me to remember, I know what pick he was. I also know that picks 10-60 all see less minutes than him per game, besides one. That is Tyler Zeller, and the only reason he is seeing more is because Anderson is injured, and Cavs have literally no other option.

Last edited by mcgahee21nfl; 01-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
You said many do, the least you could do is rattle off a few that you feel are raw as well, that get more minutes than him.
ugh ok, i think beal is raw (saw him play live), i think davis is raw, i think waiters is raw, i think valanciunas is very raw, i think austin rivers is raw, i think harrison barnes is raw, i mean i can name a whole list but its not gonna change ur opinion obviously.

its a very fair argument though that when valanciunas avg. under 10 a game (7.8) and a guy like drummond does that in a half, or a guy like rivers shoots 33% from the field and drummond i guess stinks form the line, well maybe if these other guys on bad teams are playing, let this guy get a few more minutes.

anyone agree with me?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
ugh ok, i think beal is raw (saw him play live), i think davis is raw, i think waiters is raw, i think valanciunas is very raw, i think austin rivers is raw, i think harrison barnes is raw, i mean i can name a whole list but its not gonna change ur opinion obviously.

its a very fair argument though that when valanciunas avg. under 10 a game (7.8) and a guy like drummond does that in a half, or a guy like rivers shoots 33% from the field and drummond i guess stinks form the line, well maybe if these other guys on bad teams are playing, let this guy get a few more minutes.

anyone agree with me?
Yeah... all of those are RAW, like Andre Drummond is... Jonas is a veteran already at a young age who is one of the most fundamentally advanced intentional players to come into the NBA. Anthony Davis n company... come on. All have good strokes and good handles, the only thing they don't have going for them is youth.

If I were to accept that list from you, I'd have to accept EVERY SINGLE YOUNG PLAYER IN THE NBA, because thats the line you are attempting to take. That is that if you are young, you are raw.

Not true. If you have huge deficiencies in your game that you need to SEVERELY WORK ON, thats raw. Drummond tops the list.

You're right. Someone who clearly doesn't watch the NBA that much, and is still trying to make a point that Drummond should be getting over 19 minutes per game right now, won't change my mind. Nobody agrees with you
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

P.S. your OP asks for people to explain to you what Detroit is thinking with Drummond.

You were given an explanation. You clearly weren't gonna accept an explanation, so next time, maybe title the thread: "Andre Drummond should be getting more minutes" and state why.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah... all of those are RAW, like Andre Drummond is... Jonas is a veteran already at a young age who is one of the most fundamentally advanced intentional players to come into the NBA. Anthony Davis n company... come on. All have good strokes and good handles, the only thing they don't have going for them is youth.

If I were to accept that list from you, I'd have to accept EVERY SINGLE YOUNG PLAYER IN THE NBA, because thats the line you are attempting to take. That is that if you are young, you are raw.

Not true. If you have huge deficiencies in your game that you need to SEVERELY WORK ON, thats raw. Drummond tops the list.

You're right. Someone who clearly doesn't watch the NBA that much, and is still trying to make a point that Drummond should be getting over 19 minutes per game right now, won't change my mind. Nobody agrees with you
thats a pretty aggressive stand to take without knowing me, especially when all i did was say what were they thinking in ther OP.
i'm probably 100% correct in assuming i know MUCH more about the NBA then you, but there is no point in convincing you about my knowledge of the NBA, my season tickets, my experience playing, my ex NBA/college player/coach athletic director friends or how well i do with basketball cards.
what i will say though, is I'm a Knick fan, and no team has stifled more young talent than we have. Dating back to the 90s we never played our young players, they'd leave and have solid careers with other teams.
To me... in my opinion, which you so clearly have an issue with allowing me to have, I think a guy like Drummond was fine to bring along slow at first, but his minute count should go up as the season goes on. We are now in Feb, you can take the leash off a bit, he doesn't have to play 30 min a night, but nobody is playing hack a Dre with 4 min. left in the 3rd.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
P.S. your OP asks for people to explain to you what Detroit is thinking with Drummond.

You were given an explanation. You clearly weren't gonna accept an explanation, so next time, maybe title the thread: "Andre Drummond should be getting more minutes" and state why.
Don't worry about what my post titles are, I have made many posts here and very few get such aggressive responses. I don't know if in your head you think you are like winning this argument but you haven't sold me on your point either.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
thats a pretty aggressive stand to take without knowing me, especially when all i did was say what were they thinking in ther OP.
i'm probably 100% correct in assuming i know MUCH more about the NBA then you, but there is no point in convincing you about my knowledge of the NBA, my season tickets, my experience playing, my ex NBA/college player/coach athletic director friends or how well i do with basketball cards.
what i will say though, is I'm a Knick fan, and no team has stifled more young talent than we have. Dating back to the 90s we never played our young players, they'd leave and have solid careers with other teams.
To me... in my opinion, which you so clearly have an issue with allowing me to have, I think a guy like Drummond was fine to bring along slow at first, but his minute count should go up as the season goes on. We are now in Feb, you can take the leash off a bit, he doesn't have to play 30 min a night, but nobody is playing hack a Dre with 4 min. left in the 3rd.
Trust me, I realize how good you are. I've seen all of your posts on projections and then you're "I told you so" countless times. Also have seen you brag about how well you do with cards.

Your second reply states "I haven't seen him play but"... which leads me to believe you know less than you are pretending you do.

Keep reading stats, and keep asking for opinions only to shoot others down. I really wouldn't have said 1 word if you fired with your opinion, rather than ask for reasoning, and when given a completely logical one, shoot that logic down. Look into the pot calling the kettle black
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Not to knock the OP but with the exception of Darko, Detroit has always done a good job developing bigs. Go to the Palace and look up next time.
ILikeThatCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't worry about what my post titles are, I have made many posts here and very few get such aggressive responses. I don't know if in your head you think you are like winning this argument but you haven't sold me on your point either.
That has nothing to do with anything. Saying "don't worry about what my post title is", is just a childish deflection.

I am not "worried" about what your post title is. I coherently expressed that your post title, was asking for an EXPLANATION, which you weren't looking for (clearly), and you were just looking to state your OPINION.

Take the advice in stride.