Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiporch View Post
USA Lebron green for $325 is not exactly catching fire .


If there are 25-100 it will still be a nice card .

There are no green refractors in select by the way and select will not hurt these golds its people trying to push the product down so they can buy more .

If you get a email to end early it means they don't want the price of the card public or they willing to pay .

If you don't like the greens don't buy them .If you don't like the golds don't buy them .
I think the refractors are undervalued .
If there are 100 I bet 20-30 of them will be in sets .

I never
Well, I haven't said anything bad about the Golds. I think the Golds are worth investing in, if you can afford them (I can't, so I have no Golds). I'm just skeptical about these greens, the fact that they are not serial numbered, kinda creates this cloud of uncertainty of how rare these cards actually are.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
Well, the product is still being busted, so who knows how many more will be pulled in the future. And of those 10 that you mentioned, I'm pretty sure only 3-4 will remain in PCs, the other ones will eventually be re-sold. Once the few PC collectors have fulfilled their needs, eventually it would reach a point where flippers are going to compete and bid against each other, and once the flippers see that little profit is the be made, they'll stop bidding, and prices will drop.

I mean, just look at the Retro PMGs,those have dropped for almost half the price of what the were selling for when the product first came out.
Retro's have dropped, but a Lebron red /150 still sells for around $500 which is considerably more than the greens sell for, which are clearly less than /150.

I get the PMGs are more popular, but I just don't see these greens falling in price
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
Retro's have dropped, but a Lebron red /150 still sells for around $500 which is considerably more than the greens sell for, which are clearly less than /150.

I get the PMGs are more popular, but I just don't see these greens falling in price
Yeah, and when Retro came out, the Lebron Red was selling close to $1k, look at it now, now that the hype died down for that product. The cycle always repeats itself in this hobby, once a new products come out. And the fact that the Greens are not numbered, hurts it a bit more. If you want to buy these greens, I suggest be patient and wait, NEVER buy singles when a product is still new a currently hyped up.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
Yeah, and when Retro came out, the Lebron Red was selling close to $1k, look at it now, now that the hype died down for that product. The cycle always repeats itself in this hobby, once a new products come out. And the fact that the Greens are not numbered, hurts it a bit more. If you want to buy these greens, I suggest be patient and wait, NEVER buy singles when a product is still new a currently hyped up.
Ok, but Prizm has only gone up so far.

People that sold early probably lost a lot of profit because they underestimated how popular it will be.

I'm not saying 6 months from now these will sell huge, but in a few years when you rarely see them on ebay I think they will command a nice price
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
Ok, but Prizm has only gone up so far.

People that sold early probably lost a lot of profit because they underestimated how popular it will be.

I'm not saying 6 months from now these will sell huge, but in a few years when you rarely see them on ebay I think they will command a nice price
I think the Golds will command a nice price in the future. I'm still not too sure about the greens, again, like I said, no serial number, kinda hurts it long-term.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
Yeah, and when Retro came out, the Lebron Red was selling close to $1k, look at it now, now that the hype died down for that product. The cycle always repeats itself in this hobby, once a new products come out. And the fact that the Greens are not numbered, hurts it a bit more. If you want to buy these greens, I suggest be patient and wait, NEVER buy singles when a product is still new a currently hyped up.
Thats because 150 is alot of cards... The Green PMG Lebron sells for a fortune, and people that invested early, won. Its the same with Prizm. Investors in Gold will be more profitable in the long run. Maybe Green will still go up in price, but no one knows when the bubble will pop, so its a much bigger gamble. I would rather spend 200-300 on a HOF gold prizm, than 200-300 on a green prizm Bron, because thats still a huge investment. THose who got green prizm lebrons for 50-100 bucks, good for them.

Maybe Panini will announce the amount of cases/boxes they released next month, and green prizms will double/triple/quadruple in price. No one really knows.
SocraticGoat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
Yeah, and when Retro came out, the Lebron Red was selling close to $1k, look at it now, now that the hype died down for that product. The cycle always repeats itself in this hobby, once a new products come out. And the fact that the Greens are not numbered, hurts it a bit more. If you want to buy these greens, I suggest be patient and wait, NEVER buy singles when a product is still new a currently hyped up.
Do you think that NBA uniforms vs. HS/College uniforms has an impact on the selling price?
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10pin View Post
Do you think that NBA uniforms vs. HS/College uniforms has an impact on the selling price?
Probably, I know I never liked the HS/College uniforms, nor these PMG remakes to begin with. But there's a lot of factors that can play into it, I think people just lose interest in it over time. It's human nature to get bored and move on to something new.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
Probably, I know I never liked the HS/College uniforms, nor these PMG remakes to begin with. But there's a lot of factors that can play into it, I think people just lose interest in it over time. It's human nature to get bored and move on to something new.
That's true, but there's also some very popular 90's sets that sell very well.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
phdbeckett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 564
Default

Topps Chrome 1996-97 was retail only, and not #ed and sells quite well to this date. As does 2008-09(2003-04-05) Topps Chrome base Refractors. Hard to compare on the veterans, but the rookies are selling better than Topps chrome's refractors from those years.
phdbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
That's true, but there's also some very popular 90's sets that sell very well.
That's true, but even 90s inserts have come down this past year, especially unnumbered inserts.

Personally, if your buying these greens, just out of enjoyment and for your pc, that's cool. But if you're buying them as an investment, it's gonna blow up in your face. The hobby is just too unstable.

Last edited by jeebus_86; 01-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
That's true, but even 90s inserts have come down this past year, especially unnumbered inserts.

Personally, if your buying these greens, just out of enjoyment and for your pc, that's cool. But if you're buying them as an investment, it's gonna blow up in your face. The hobby is just too unstable.
I completely disagree....since this is the 1st product release, I believe these will be one of the better rookie cards to have for the 11-12 and 12-13 rookie class.....
__________________
I collect D Rose, Eric Gordon, and Jimmy Buckets
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
The_Reverend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
I think the Golds will command a nice price in the future. I'm still not too sure about the greens, again, like I said, no serial number, kinda hurts it long-term.
has the no number on the kobe refractor hurt the price of his card? i compare the retail greens to the '96 refractors: 1:12 packs and a 220 card set if i remember. i think the greens are sharp and the refractors, hobby only, are undervalued. the only thing that will hurt the base rc's is the hobby/retail release. the USA inserts are a whole different matter. i am pc'ing my lebron green and getting it slabbed. it will go nice with my other limited pc. would i like a gold? yes, but since i did not pull one it does not bother me. prizm basketball filled a void that collectors wanted filled. No Topps Chrome so Prizm has become the Chrome of basketball. Beware prizm breakers of football. It will not rock like basketball, but yes I will break at least 1 hobby box and retail if I find it.
The_Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
BLawson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Louisville
Posts: 503
Default

It could probably go either way but I think rookie greens will hold value and veteran greens will go down.. I could be wrong who knows.
__________________
Basketball, Football, Baseball Auto Card Collector
BLawson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 661
Default

The thing that really makes me think the production run may be fairly limited is simply the lack of availability with it being out as long as it has. I mean, Hoops, Prestige, and Absolute are readily available at retail prices...this stuff just isn't.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
paul06901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10pin View Post
The thing that really makes me think the production run may be fairly limited is simply the lack of availability with it being out as long as it has. I mean, Hoops, Prestige, and Absolute are readily available at retail prices...this stuff just isn't.
People think it's limited because they check their 1-5 local locations and they buy it all. Check back in a week and watch it get restocked.

2012 13 Panini Prizm Basketball Retail 24ct Factory SEALED Box Green Refractor | eBay



It's not limited at all. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's just not as widely opened as hobby. And then you have everyone buying it up like crazy. Do a search for "prizm retail box' and you'll find plenty available if you're interested in it at a grossly inflated price over retail cost...

When in reality, unless you hit a Kobe/Kyrie/LBJ/Lillard or a few others, you'll lose badly on a box or packs when you're paying $3+ per pack. That makes a box of retail at $72.


This stuff is just overhyped and overrated. The golds are nice, but those are overhyped and overrated as well. Collectors are just like that in the bkb hobby, looking for something to be excited about because most of the recent products are garbage.


Point is, 90% of the people hyping these greens (and golds) up are people who OWN them and are actively looking to RESELL for a profit ... so that's flawed logic right there.


The wax is readily available at $3/pack. Some people are just too lazy or live in an area too remote to find it, so they buy on eBay ... and therefore box prices go up above retail cost.


Walmart, Target, etc will all continue to restock ... and price will not fluctuate from $3/pack ... so anyone talking about this stuff 'drying up' or being 'limited' ... is wrong ... and those people are likely the ones who have invested heavily in singles from the product to try and flip, and are just trying to hype up for their sales to hopefully increase in price!

Last edited by paul06901; 01-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
People think it's limited because they check their 1-5 local locations and they buy it all. Check back in a week and watch it get restocked.

2012 13 Panini Prizm Basketball Retail 24ct Factory SEALED Box Green Refractor | eBay



It's not limited at all. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's just not as widely opened as hobby. And then you have everyone buying it up like crazy. Do a search for "prizm retail box' and you'll find plenty available if you're interested in it at a grossly inflated price over retail cost...

When in reality, unless you hit a Kobe/Kyrie/LBJ/Lillard or a few others, you'll lose badly on a box or packs when you're paying $3+ per pack. That makes a box of retail at $72.


This stuff is just overhyped and overrated. The golds are nice, but those are overhyped and overrated as well. Collectors are just like that in the bkb hobby, looking for something to be excited about because most of the recent products are garbage.


Point is, 90% of the people hyping these greens (and golds) up are people who OWN them and are actively looking to RESELL for a profit ... so that's flawed logic right there.


The wax is readily available at $3/pack. Some people are just too lazy or live in an area too remote to find it, so they buy on eBay ... and therefore box prices go up above retail cost.


Walmart, Target, etc will all continue to restock ... and price will not fluctuate from $3/pack ... so anyone talking about this stuff 'drying up' or being 'limited' ... is wrong ... and those people are likely the ones who have invested heavily in singles from the product to try and flip, and are just trying to hype up for their sales to hopefully increase in price!

You been saying that for 2 months
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 661
Default

^^^^

I see that auction as well. He bought them from Panini's website last week or maybe the week before. They had 44 boxes available; I haven't seen any there since then.

I admit I have some and have some unopened wax as well that I bought from Panini. Does one guy having a case and a half of something mean that it's widely available? Perhaps it's just a flaw in the distribution on this product and it will continue to be restocked at retail outlets.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
People think it's limited because they check their 1-5 local locations and they buy it all. Check back in a week and watch it get restocked.

2012 13 Panini Prizm Basketball Retail 24ct Factory SEALED Box Green Refractor | eBay



It's not limited at all. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's just not as widely opened as hobby. And then you have everyone buying it up like crazy. Do a search for "prizm retail box' and you'll find plenty available if you're interested in it at a grossly inflated price over retail cost...

When in reality, unless you hit a Kobe/Kyrie/LBJ/Lillard or a few others, you'll lose badly on a box or packs when you're paying $3+ per pack. That makes a box of retail at $72.


This stuff is just overhyped and overrated. The golds are nice, but those are overhyped and overrated as well. Collectors are just like that in the bkb hobby, looking for something to be excited about because most of the recent products are garbage.


Point is, 90% of the people hyping these greens (and golds) up are people who OWN them and are actively looking to RESELL for a profit ... so that's flawed logic right there.


The wax is readily available at $3/pack. Some people are just too lazy or live in an area too remote to find it, so they buy on eBay ... and therefore box prices go up above retail cost.


Walmart, Target, etc will all continue to restock ... and price will not fluctuate from $3/pack ... so anyone talking about this stuff 'drying up' or being 'limited' ... is wrong ... and those people are likely the ones who have invested heavily in singles from the product to try and flip, and are just trying to hype up for their sales to hopefully increase in price!
and the people saying it's overhyped are the ones who don't own any. So it's biased both ways.

As it stands, some of these are selling very well, so the people siding with them being valuable are out-voting the ones saying they are purely hype
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,478
Default

I like the fact that they are selling well. Demand creates that with good product. I own some. The market is active. This is what we want to see.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
mfisher27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Canton, OH
Posts: 1,058
Default

The target nearest to me just put out their 5th box of Prizm yesterday. Also there's 3 other targets within 20 miles of me so it's a really populated area.
__________________
PC: Steven Gruver and Henry Owens
**My offers are only valid for 24 hours, subject to change after that.**
http://s1157.beta.photobucket.com/user/mfisher27/library/
mfisher27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
paul06901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
and the people saying it's overhyped are the ones who don't own any. So it's biased both ways.

As it stands, some of these are selling very well, so the people siding with them being valuable are out-voting the ones saying they are purely hype
I'm not arguing that they are selling well ... that's true.

I'm just saying it's current hype, and as they become more populated, prices will return to earth. The product IS out there. It's just not as 'easily' available to many of those buying. So their only option is to purchase on eBay or other places that have the prices for the retail wax jacked up already.

So as long as these Walmarts and Targets keep getting re-loaded ... the availability of singles will increase and the value will decrease.

It just takes time, especially for a retail product. We will especially see this once a new, exciting set is released. (Maybe not until NT? I'm not sure...)
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
I'm not arguing that they are selling well ... that's true.

I'm just saying it's current hype, and as they become more populated, prices will return to earth. The product IS out there. It's just not as 'easily' available to many of those buying. So their only option is to purchase on eBay or other places that have the prices for the retail wax jacked up already.

So as long as these Walmarts and Targets keep getting re-loaded ... the availability of singles will increase and the value will decrease.

It just takes time, especially for a retail product. We will especially see this once a new, exciting set is released. (Maybe not until NT? I'm not sure...)
So in your opinion what is the print run of the Prizm Greens?
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,448
Default

Still curious what you think paul
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
LeonfromNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 5,377
Default

All i got say is this... kyrie irvings were selling for $150-$200 about 2-3 weeks ago and one ended tonight for $383.00! These cards are heating up, not cooling down...
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.