Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Found some rare inserts in my storage unit. Apex Xtreme 1/1, Metal Gem Masters, etc

Thought you guys would like to see these cards. Purchased these back in 2005 or 2006 and they got lost in my storage unit. Most of these insert sets are so rare that you can hardly find scans of any of the cards online, let alone specimens for sale.

To start off, I have 3/7ths of the 2000-01 Stadium Club Starting Five set. These cards feature jersey swatches of five different players. Wish I knew the insertion odds. I'm pretty sure these were all redemptions which makes them even rarer.

------

ronaldkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Next up is a Christian Laettner 99-00 Skybox Apex Xtreme 1/1. I posted a pic last month of the Dee Brown that I also own from this set. I'm awaiting its return from BGS. This Laettner card will obviously be a part of my next submission.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

And finally, a second masterpiece. This is a Jamal Anderson 1999 Metal Universe Gem Masters 1/1. I also have the Steve Smith from 1998-99 Metal Universe basketball, on its way back from BGS as well.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice find. I have never seen those Starting Five jerseys. Great Laettner Apex 1/1 as well!
DeRozan#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRozan#1Fan View Post
Nice find. I have never seen those Starting Five jerseys. Great Laettner Apex 1/1 as well!
Thanks. I'll pay top dollar -- or trade practically anything from my vast collection of late 90s inserts -- for any of the other 4 Starting Fives. Will even pay a $20 finder's fee if you lead me to any of the cards. I need:

Phoenix Suns
Washington Wizards
Orlando Magic
Boston Celtics
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Very nice cards! Love the starting 5's , very rare!

The Laettner I used to own a few years ago, I guess I must have sold it to you then? I sold it on eBay. It's hard to recall, but I believe it only sold around $100-150 at the time.

I likely still have my scan of the card in my bucket somewhere!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Stromile Swift......................classic!
Hoopsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Judging by the jersey crease on the Grizzlies starting 5 card I'm thinking they were packed out.
phdbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdbeckett View Post
Judging by the jersey crease on the Grizzlies starting 5 card I'm thinking they were packed out.
I wouldn't be so sure. Are you familiar with the regular jersey cards from 2000-01 Stadium Club? They are notoriously condition-sensitive due to the way the teams' logos overlap the jersey swatches. Here's an example:

I wish I could find some information on this set. I can't find the insertion odds anywhere. I think I'm going to bust a box of this product just to find them!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cool stuff, have not seen a lot of those before
AllStars2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkosh View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Are you familiar with the regular jersey cards from 2000-01 Stadium Club? They are notoriously condition-sensitive due to the way the teams' logos overlap the jersey swatches. Here's an example:

I wish I could find some information on this set. I can't find the insertion odds anywhere. I think I'm going to bust a box of this product just to find them!
Randomly inserted into packs at one in 2234 hobby and 1:858 HTA, this 7-card insert set features authentic swatches of game-used jerseys. Card backs carry a "SF" prefix followed by the team's initials.

Does not state that they were redemption. Other cards from this year that were redemptions are 11x14 autographs.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdbeckett View Post
Randomly inserted into packs at one in 2234 hobby and 1:858 HTA, this 7-card insert set features authentic swatches of game-used jerseys. Card backs carry a "SF" prefix followed by the team's initials.

Does not state that they were redemption. Other cards from this year that were redemptions are 11x14 autographs.
I know for a fact that some of the regular game jerseys were redemptions. A guy who completed the set says so in a thread from HobbyKings back in 2006. (See the 2nd to last post here)

I appreciate your knowledge and insight. I hope this doesn't come off as an argument. I'm super appreciative of any information I can find. Knowing that the actual cards (and not expired redemptions) are sitting in packs somewhere is actually quite encouraging! I'm going to bust a few boxes of this stuff and see what I can find.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

I know some of the regular jerseys were redemptions for sure. I could buy the redemptions for about a buck because no one wanted to bother for a jersey card of a scrub (which many players were).
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I keep a lot of old print as reference. It is amazing how much they redact over the years.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

I PM'ed phdbeckett about this. Thought I'd throw it out here as well.

I'm paying a finder's fee for anyone who can direct me to a sealed HTA jumbo box of 2000-01 Stadium Club basketball for sale. Your reward will be a card with a $10-$15 eBay value. Help me out, collectors!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Those one of one cards are awesome! Great looking rare cards.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

That starting five set as fantastic. Good luck finding the rest as they hardly ever ever show up.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkosh View Post
I PM'ed phdbeckett about this. Thought I'd throw it out here as well.

I'm paying a finder's fee for anyone who can direct me to a sealed HTA jumbo box of 2000-01 Stadium Club basketball for sale. Your reward will be a card with a $10-$15 eBay value. Help me out, collectors!
Pretty sure I bought two of those from Pittsburgh Sports last year, but they don't seem to have any left. I still have everything from those boxes but there were no Starting Fives!
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote