Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Shocked by all the people saying no.

He's a shoe in, imo.

Great College career, ROY, won gold in the olympics, over 20,000 points, a couple NBA finals appearances, 8 time all star, dunk champion...

The list goes on and on.
razorsharp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

I think he will get in
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
Shocked by all the people saying no.

He's a shoe in, imo.

Great College career, ROY, won gold in the olympics, over 20,000 points, a couple NBA finals appearances, 8 time all star, dunk champion...

The list goes on and on.
That's what I was thinking.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

two trips to NBA finals? when ?
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Great highlight reels dunks. But his career was not impressive.

This one is for kingofkings1281
USATODAY.com - Raptors criticize Carter after he admitted not giving 100%
John Thompson has said multiple times since that interview that he feels horrible for how that came out. They wanted to edit together something that would get people talking. I guess that worked out considering people are still blowing it out of proportion almost a decade later. He's guilty of what I said in my earlier post. He skated by on talent and didn't work as hard as he should have to get better. That's what he was trying to convey, and people twisted it into whatever they felt like. At least Carter was honest. I'd much rather hear that than Dwight Howard putting on the act he has for the better part of two years.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/Kingofkings1281/
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofkings1281 View Post
John Thompson has said multiple times since that interview that he feels horrible for how that came out. They wanted to edit together something that would get people talking. I guess that worked out considering people are still blowing it out of proportion almost a decade later. He's guilty of what I said in my earlier post. He skated by on talent and didn't work as hard as he should have to get better. That's what he was trying to convey, and people twisted it into whatever they felt like. At least Carter was honest. I'd much rather hear that than Dwight Howard putting on the act he has for the better part of two years.
I am a raptors season ticket holder. Not just any seasons. I used to have 4 golds. I traded them in for 2 floors. I watched / lived raptors. I experience his lack of effort and his days of sitting out on purpose so that the raps would miss the playoffs. Same with Bosh sitting out games when he could have played during a late run to grab the last playoff spot.

He can say whatever he likes. I saw it with my eyes. Whether he gets into a watered down HOF, thats up to the voters who will do what they want. But its clear that he became a journey man after his stardom in Toronto to chase down a ring. Him and Tmac in my opinion ran from leadership and tried to find an easy way to a ring. Im glad he never got too far.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I am a raptors season ticket holder. Not just any seasons. I used to have 4 golds. I traded them in for 2 floors. I watched / lived raptors. I experience his lack of effort and his days of sitting out on purpose so that the raps would miss the playoffs. Same with Bosh sitting out games when he could have played during a late run to grab the last playoff spot.

He can say whatever he likes. I saw it with my eyes. Whether he gets into a watered down HOF, thats up to the voters who will do what they want. But its clear that he became a journey man after his stardom in Toronto to chase down a ring. Him and Tmac in my opinion ran from leadership and tried to find an easy way to a ring. Im glad he never got too far.
He was chasing a ring? Really? He was traded to New Jersey and then traded to Orlando and Phoenix. The only time he was able to sign anywhere he wanted was with Dallas... twice. If he's chasing a ring, he's doing it in the wrong place. I won't argue with you over the leadership issue. He's just never been that kind of player. I can only imagine how good he could have been if he had the desire and work ethic of Kobe or MJ. Could've, would've, should've.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:

That explains all the hate on vince
vinsanity15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Also, T-Mac didn't have those issues. His problem was he HAD to be the number one guy. He had zero problems with being the focal point. I'll always wonder what would have happened had McGrady stayed in Toronto with Vince. At the very least, it would have been a couple of conference championships.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

Vince Carter's career is so underrated it's ridiculous - Yes he's a HOF and it's not even a question ...

I think people are comparing his career based off EXPECTATIONS a decade ago, when they should be comparing it against other 20,000 Point scorers who are in the hall ... And unlike some 20K scorers, VC is also a solid passer / rebounder (Which are just "bonuses" since his Points Total is credentials enough) - It doesn't take much to get in the Basketball HOF and Vince's credentials are definitely worthy
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
He gets in, and I really don't think there's much of a debate. It still astounds me how much crap this guy gets after all of these years. The majority of the negative things said about him in this thread aren't even true. Either that, or they are warped versions of what actually happened.

In my opinion, the two things that really go against him are the lack of a championship, and the fact he's skated by on pure talent throughout his career. If he would have worked half as hard as Kobe, this wouldn't even be a serious question.
I agree with this - Too many people compare him against Guys like Kobe and Jordan instead of applauding the great career he's had (Do people make fun of John Stockton for not being Magic Johnson? Do people make fun of Adrian Dantley for not being Jordan? Of course not because that's disrespectful to those guys) ...

It's laughable to call an NBA Vet w/ 20K points a failure or question his work ethic when he's a Top 50 Player Ever ...
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Also, T-Mac didn't have those issues. His problem was he HAD to be the number one guy. He had zero problems with being the focal point. I'll always wonder what would have happened had McGrady stayed in Toronto with Vince. At the very least, it would have been a couple of conference championships.

Its always been the case with the only non US franchise to survive. Toronto has a bad history of great picks only to lose them to big markets and players who didnt see the potential from patience and building. The following players all left with their mind set that they didnt want to risk a chance of staying in Toronto ..

Damon Stoudemire (Roy)
Tracy Mcgrady
Vince Carter (Roy)
Chris Bosh

With pickups like Charles Oakley, Kevin Willis and Dell Curry and Hakeem as mentors who could guide young guys to learning, the franchise in my opinion could have seen atleast 1 championship possibly with a few cracks at one for sure. Im a bit sour at them. But then again who wouldnt be when you get paid millions and its not enough to lead a fresh franchise to the promise land and forever cement yourself as the 1st player to take that franchise to the end!!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #38 (permalink)

No, he's not HOF worthy.
justdagoodstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdagoodstuff View Post
No, he's not HOF worthy.
Solid logic, but...

- Scored over 20,000 points

- Career 20+ point per game scorer

- Olympic gold medalist

- Slam Dunk champion

- 8 time all-star (leading vote getter on multiple occasions)

- NBA rookie of the year

- 2x all-NBA

- McDonalds All-American

- Consecutive Final Four appearances

People have gotten in for less. Hate the guy all you want, but he's still Hall of Fame bound.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

To vinsanity15 the supposed Vince Carter Collector-Where's all the talk on this site about calling me a punk like on Hobbykings?
carolinablue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue88 View Post
To vinsanity15 the supposed Vince Carter Collector-Where's all the talk on this site about calling me a punk like on Hobbykings?
are you the same guy on ebay that lists those VC cards at huge BIN prices every month?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
Besides scoring a bunch of points what has he done during his career? What has he won? That being said he still has a chance. Hell if they can elect Ralph Sampson they why not Carter?

This is why Carter gets in.. more based on his college career than his pro career

I wouldnt say that Grant Hill is a Hall of Fame guy either based on his NBA career..(due to injuries etc). but when you add in his college career.. he makes it ...barely I think for both.. but they make it eventually
Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #43 (permalink)

Best dunker of all time, but not a hall of famer.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #44 (permalink)

Character issues will hurt him but I think eventually he'll get in.
byronscott4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #45 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
Besides scoring a bunch of points what has he done during his career? What has he won? That being said he still has a chance. Hell if they can elect Ralph Sampson they why not Carter?
What did Malone or Stockton win, if you want to go with the winning angle.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
are you the same guy on ebay that lists those VC cards at huge BIN prices every month?
Hahah that would be a winner
vinsanity15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

dunk machines dont get voted in
ivecenanuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
What did Malone or Stockton win, if you want to go with the winning angle.
Stockton is going to have the assist record FOREVER, and Malone was an MVP and scored 37,000 points. Carter has never even been in the discussion for an MVP in his career. And they didn't win a title, but they were always contending for one. His airness just had something to say about it lol.

Last edited by lb_sa; 01-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Great highlight reels dunks. But his career was not impressive.

This one is for kingofkings1281
USATODAY.com - Raptors criticize Carter after he admitted not giving 100%
There's a lot of guy in the league that don't play their hardest every night.

Carter was just stupid to admit it.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
There's a lot of guy in the league that don't play their hardest every night.

Carter was just stupid to admit it.
Im sure there are a lot of guys in the league that dont play their hardest or throw games because they are tardy. But how many are up for discussion for HOF status in this thread? The question is about VC. Not any other player.

Some of you have to remember that you either get into the HOF or dont get into the HOF based on what the player did, not based on what other players did!!