Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
Panini has rarely inserted plates into their product. I believe Elite Football this year has some. But for basketball.....I can't think of one release that had plates. I don't count he Black Friday blank back fake ones.
2009-10 Studio is the only one I can think of.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #27 (permalink)

How do we know Panino won't print more Prizm Green? Because they're not Upper Deck, that's why.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronscott4ever View Post
How do we know Panino won't print more Prizm Green? Because they're not Upper Deck, that's why.
Agreed.

Upper Deck is one that has done it in past.

No more Prizm is being made since it went into production. Like with any product. Printer is on to the next set. With all products they have they want to move stuff out.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #29 (permalink)

Panini is one company I probably trust the must on this stuff and their current players game used cards. They even show mail days and close ups and wear on game used jerseys they cut up. The Moreno was easily photo matched to the game it was in. A lot of the hockey jerseys they had were from MeiGray. Some of the football jerseys were from NFL auctions. I have never seen UD or Topps do this.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
The reason why 96 Chrome is so expensive because it was a retail only product that was produced in extreme limited quantities. It was released in retail as a test to see how chrome would do. But I agree, the 96 chrome is a set that cannot be compared.
I can remember having 15 boxes of that stuff at a show. I was happy when I was selling boxes for $125 and Kobe was selling for like $18-20. Next thing I knew, people were paying $40-50 for a pack.

Still wish I had the set I put together; it is a great one.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
Agreed.

Upper Deck is one that has done it in past.

No more Prizm is being made since it went into production. Like with any product. Printer is on to the next set. With all products they have they want to move stuff out.
That plus its not beneficial to keep the printing line open on one product/brand. Doesnt make sense to do it from a business standpoint. Why run the risk of ruining a success story in a product like Prizm?

UD pulled this move on the Konami fraud case. They also did it with the 89 UD Dale Murphy error card. When they realized it was taking off and making cash, they started the printing presses to produce that card only. It took a dive right after as the market was flooded with the card.

Its easier to create demand through distribution manipulation. Its legit and a marketing scheme that works. Produce 20,000 cases. Release 10,000 cases in tier 1. Hold back 10,000 cases. When people pick up on a hot product and ride the demand, it drives up prices while the supply available shrinks. Then release another 5,000 cases at the new price point. The hype on demand/speculation of shortages will drive the product at moderate increases. Then let the rest out.

Tiered releasing has worked a ton for card companies. UD did it in hockey a lot. THey release a portion of the product while holding back some. The a 2nd wave comes and demand eats it up. The only thing I hate about tiered releasing is the weighing tactic. In prior years of UD hockey, the first wave was always front loaded with young guns and SPs. The 2nd wave was never as good as the first wave. People catch on and notice it. Same thing seems to be happening with Golds in Prizm. 1st wave of cases yielded more golds. Now it seems like a tough pull for golds and prism /25 ref autos in case breaks. Mind you it might just be perception. Either way, case busters will notice it. Just ask cruisedaddy on his recent prizm case breaking. He noticed it.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10pin View Post
I can remember having 15 boxes of that stuff at a show. I was happy when I was selling boxes for $125 and Kobe was selling for like $18-20. Next thing I knew, people were paying $40-50 for a pack.

Still wish I had the set I put together; it is a great one.
I remember winning some auctions on some boxes for $80 and was like, well I got to pay for that. Now, WOW!!..I still have my set though. Probably one of my favorites

Good for hobby to see a product catch fire, but as a chrome collector, Prizm still hasn't completly sold me.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
That plus its not beneficial to keep the printing line open on one product/brand. Doesnt make sense to do it from a business standpoint. Why run the risk of ruining a success story in a product like Prizm?

UD pulled this move on the Konami fraud case.
This is factually incorrect. Upper Deck never had the rights to manufacture a single Konami card...they were only for US distribution. The cards that they had printed were straight-up counterfiet...and not even well done as the hologram was the wrong color.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Printing was likely completed months ago.

Few companies maintain standing inventory, so probably everything has been distributed.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

i hope the green is low low low
ivecenanuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivecenanuff View Post
i hope the green is low low low
people keep saying that boxes are very loaded right now, but I'm seeing less and less pop up on ebay every day it seems.

and people need to keep in mind, most people that post box breaks on here, only post good ones.

So you'll see plenty of breaks where people get 4 or 5 green, but if someone only gets 2 they probably won't post it
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
people keep saying that boxes are very loaded right now, but I'm seeing less and less pop up on ebay every day it seems.

and people need to keep in mind, most people that post box breaks on here, only post good ones.

So you'll see plenty of breaks where people get 4 or 5 green, but if someone only gets 2 they probably won't post it
I don't know what eBay you're looking at, but there's plenty of retail boxes. There's one at $98 that hasn't sold. And the guy with them at $110 obo with a huge quantity available. People also started selling individual packs on eBay.

And to account for those people that only post good breaks here, there are also HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of people that DON'T post any breaks here ... maybe on another site, or maybe they don't post on the internet at all?

Maybe there are THOUSANDS of retail boxes that aren't on eBay? There could be a thousand sealed cases at Walmart warehouse, a thousand at Target warehouse.

Why do you think this is not a possibility? You (and some others) seem to be so engulfed in the craze that rationality leaves the equation.

Please tell me why this specific Blowout box breaks section and eBay are the ONLY two resources for a RETAIL product to show up?!
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
I don't know what eBay you're looking at, but there's plenty of retail boxes. There's one at $98 that hasn't sold. And the guy with them at $110 obo with a huge quantity available. People also started selling individual packs on eBay.

And to account for those people that only post good breaks here, there are also HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of people that DON'T post any breaks here ... maybe on another site, or maybe they don't post on the internet at all?

Maybe there are THOUSANDS of retail boxes that aren't on eBay? There could be a thousand sealed cases at Walmart warehouse, a thousand at Target warehouse.

Why do you think this is not a possibility? You (and some others) seem to be so engulfed in the craze that rationality leaves the equation.

Please tell me why this specific Blowout box breaks section and eBay are the ONLY two resources for a RETAIL product to show up?!
They aren't.

But why do you REFUSE to see the other side.

I can admit that there are potentially loaded boxes with greens and that they are higher numbered than thought. I don't think that's the case, but I think it's possible.

You on the other hand post stuff from such a narrow minded perspective.

You mention the thousands of boxes opened that aren't posted online, who is to say those boxes aren't mainly 2-3 green prizms?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
They aren't.

But why do you REFUSE to see the other side.

I can admit that there are potentially loaded boxes with greens and that they are higher numbered than thought. I don't think that's the case, but I think it's possible.

You on the other hand post stuff from such a narrow minded perspective.

You mention the thousands of boxes opened that aren't posted online, who is to say those boxes aren't mainly 2-3 green prizms?
That's speculation on both ends.

But you're research is coming from TWO sources out of HUNDREDS of sources. It makes FAR more sense to speculate based on the side of there potentially being a TON of sealed wax in retail locations across the US ... given it is a retail product. It makes FAR less sense to speculate that it's DRYING UP based on two sources of the Blowout breaks section and eBay.

I never said I was positive of anything, I just think that it makes complete sense that a RETAIL-ONLY product carried by juggernauts such as WALMART, TARGET, etc MIGHT ... just MIGHT have PLENTY of this RETAIL product in stock.

It's like saying, well ... Walmart and Target carry this brand new amazing toothbrush and it's really cool! So I went to my local Walmart and Target and I bought all of them, and a few people on a toothbrush message board bought out their local Targets and Walmarts. There are some for sale on eBay though .... That's probably all that Walmart and Target had, because that message board and eBay are the only two resources I'm using for my hypothesis!

I'm not saying how rare they are ... thats asinine speculation.

But to say it's MORE possible that there are less just based on two sources, rather than saying its MORE possible there are PLENTY MORE based on the opposite reasoning .... that's a$$-backwards!
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That's speculation on both ends.

But you're research is coming from TWO sources out of HUNDREDS of sources. It makes FAR more sense to speculate based on the side of there potentially being a TON of sealed wax in retail locations across the US ... given it is a retail product. It makes FAR less sense to speculate that it's DRYING UP based on two sources of the Blowout breaks section and eBay.

I never said I was positive of anything, I just think that it makes complete sense that a RETAIL-ONLY product carried by juggernauts such as WALMART, TARGET, etc MIGHT ... just MIGHT have PLENTY of this RETAIL product in stock.

It's like saying, well ... Walmart and Target carry this brand new amazing toothbrush and it's really cool! So I went to my local Walmart and Target and I bought all of them, and a few people on a toothbrush message board bought out their local Targets and Walmarts. There are some for sale on eBay though .... That's probably all that Walmart and Target had, because that message board and eBay are the only two resources I'm using for my hypothesis!

I'm not saying how rare they are ... thats asinine speculation.

But to say it's MORE possible that there are less just based on two sources, rather than saying its MORE possible there are PLENTY MORE based on the opposite reasoning .... that's a$$-backwards!
I'm just saying that despite anything I think greens are rarer than you think.

People originally were thinking they were limited to /50. So a second wave hit and let's say 5,000 more boxes hit shelves. At 3 greens per box that makes about another 37 to the print run so it's up to /87.

That's still pretty limited.

For comparison sake (and I'm not saying Prizm is as good as chrome) Kobe Chrome refractors limited between /50 and /99 seem to sell between $150 and $250.

Kobe greens have been selling between $85 and $140. I don't think it's a craze right now, I think down the road these will be worth a similar amount to what they are selling for now, if not a tad more. Perhaps the green inserts won't hold as high, but the base I think will.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

i find it funny people are wary of panini printing more stock when UD has already done it and Topps blatantly holds items back to sell out of the "Topps Vault".

Panini is the way to go.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

I trust Panini, when it comes to this subject. Topps were known for printing more by adding "Series 2", while Upper Deck's know for those Error cards...
N why would Panini waste their time on this product, while there are tons of future products lining up to get printed?
SKCardCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:

FULL DISCLOSURE, I like the greens and am buying for a potential run at a set, but I also don't believe they are limited to 40-50 copies.

Like you, all I can do is speculate as to how much of this is out there.

I will say this, I highly doubt there is a thousand sealed cases at either Target or Wal-Mart because I don't believe they buy direct; I thought they purchased through a third party merchandiser. I would think that if these big boys were buying direct, then if product were widely available it would be on the shelves. Wal-Mart and Target have two of the most efficient supply chains in retailing. With SKU tracking and purchase volume tracking, they would know this stuff was selling out quickly and be ordering more on a store-specific basis. The third party merchandiser is likely not nearly as efficient, so it is entirely possible that they (merchandiser) could be sitting on large quantities. However, I would also think they are doing some SKU tracking and would know what is selling so they could re-stock, but my real life experience locally tells me they simply aren't that good based on how I see things get restocked.

One other thing I would say is that this is not a retail only product; it is the retail release of a product. That makes a difference, however large or small.

The other thing I find interesting is that there are presently 51 Hobby Boxes and 3 Hobby Cases available on eBay. There are 27 Retail Boxes available. Also, I went to about 4-5 major wax sites and all have Hobby available online; only Blowout has Retail. Admittedly, I could have missed something somewhere and just becasuse it's not on the site doesn't mean it's not available.

I'm just beginning to believe we aren't going to see the retail continue to show up in stores in large quantities. I also would have thought that if retail was produced in such massive quantities, we would have seen blaster boxes of it as well.

All in all, I think it's a really interesting product and I look forward to seeing how it plays out. Heck, beyond the scarcity or lack thereof, I'm interested to see if the greens remain popular even if they are really scarce. Sometimes, as you all know, scarcity doesn't equal high value.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10pin View Post
I will say this, I highly doubt there is a thousand sealed cases at either Target or Wal-Mart because I don't believe they buy direct
True. If someone is sitting on a pile of cases it could only be a retail distributor.

Quote:
I thought they purchased through a third party merchandiser.

All the chains do is allocate space to a retail distributor they have a contract with and take a percentage of the distributor's total sales. The distributor is entirely responsible for ordering from Panini, stocking the shelves, and restocking & inventory control. Walmart etc. have nothing to do with cards or Panini.
phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #45 (permalink)

I was at Target today. Sealed box of Prizm basketball, open one with 6-8 packs left, and open one that was full. I think Panini will keep on printing these for a while.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
I was at Target today. Sealed box of Prizm basketball, open one with 6-8 packs left, and open one that was full. I think Panini will keep on printing these for a while.
Lucky. Won't last long.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Lucky. Won't last long.
yep, go back and buy it all
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Lucky. Won't last long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivecenanuff View Post
yep, go back and buy it all
I will allow someone else to risk the $150ish it'd cost. I don't see the hype in the unnumbered refractors and autos of Mike Scott and other NBDL stars. For the money it'd cost, I could get something nicer.

ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
I will allow someone else to risk the $150ish it'd cost. I don't see the hype in the unnumbered refractors and autos of Mike Scott and other NBDL stars. For the money it'd cost, I could get something nicer.

true true, i just love the thrill of opening packs thats why