Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exquisite Limited Logos - Educate Me!

Hi guys,

I am not a basketball collector (hockey for me) but I have always found UD's "Limited Logos" sets, both in hockey and basketball, to be among the nicest high-end card sets ever produced. Obviously card values between the two sports are not even close, the most I have paid for a hockey Limited Logos for my PC player is $100 (three-color patch short-printed to 25) while an equivalent player in Exquisite would probably cost $400-$500+.

I am basically interested in a year-by-year breakdown of Exquisite Limited Logo sets. What the biggest cards were each year, what the print runs were like, which players made rare appearances in which years, which years had the nicest patches, which times a rare jersey was used, etc etc.

The basketball collectors on this forum seem to be the most knowledgable anywhere so I'm sure there is a boatload of information in store for this thread. I've found bits and pieces in forum searches but having a dedicated thread for all things Limited Logos would be an interesting read I think.

So, unload people! Tell me everything you know.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ebitz

03-04 demands the highest prices
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

here's some bullet points to get you started. others can fill in the gaps as they see fit.

-in terms of value, 03-04 is arguably the most desirable (the other side of the argument will be made below). it was the first year of exquisite in any sport, and 03-04 is far and away the most expensive version on the market. it includes rookie year LLs of lebron/wade/carmelo as well as a solid mix of veterans (ewing, jordan, magic, bird, stockton, rodman, etc). each player had a single release numbered to 75. there's a limited number of players who also have a 'throwback' variation. this variation is included within the player's single print run of 75. the most notable is carmelo - some of his throwback variations have gorgeous 5 and 6 color patches from the retro rainbow nuggets jerseys of the 70s.

-04-05 is a lot of collectors favorite design year. these cards are very sharp - they have a holofoil border around the patch window and holofoil lettering. there are some cool players in this year's iteration that dont show up in subsequent years (gasol & jason williams come to mind). each is numbered to 50, but UD did a kind of 'home and away' release of several key players. for example, dwight howard has a blue and white version and each is numbered to 50. thus, there's a higher print run in 04-05 for certain guys than 03-04.

-05-06 is probably the least desirable year. the design was pretty bland and the rookie class wasn't too great. almost all are numbered to 50 with a few exceptions (russell & erving are in the 20s). however, there's 2 very popular player who's only LL issue was 05-06.

-06-07 is another very popular design. UD went with gold lettering and a gold border around the patch window. all are numbered to 50. this design would be somewhat recycled in 09-10, but with one key exception

-07-08 was a complete design overhaul. some people like it, some dont. UD switched to a beige with gold streaks background and a slightly smaller patch window. all are numbered to 50. the primary hit from this year would be durant's rc year LL. this is the one set that does not include an MJ. however, this marked the first year kobe signed a full 'Kobe Bryant' signature in an LL release (as opposed to his traditional 'Kobe' auto).

-08-09 is hugely popular with collectors, and with good reason. the strength of the rookie class combined with the lower number release for each player (each is numbered to 25 except for MJ I believe) makes this year very desirable. this is the first year UD went with a horizontal design and had players sign vertically up the right side of the card. similar to 03-04, there are 2 different variations for certain players; a regular run and a 'throwback' run. the 'throwback' line features a patch from a team's old school game worn jersey. unlike the throwbacks in 03-04 LL, these are a completely separate set from the base run, so a player like kevin love who has both a regular and throwback version will have 50 total limited logos cards in the set.

-09-10 is the other side of the argument to 03-04. while the design was a return to that of the 06-07 version (with a few minor changes), UD got really weird with their numbering. I believe the highest print run in this set is right around 20. there were a number of high end collectors who chose to put this set together, which means many of the lower numbered players are all but 'gone' from the open market. as an example, the 09-10 brandon roy LL just sold for a little over 300 bucks. why so much for a guy who will never be anywhere near the popularity or value that he was in his prime? because theres only 10 of them in existence.

Last edited by AlabamaSlamma; 01-28-2013 at 02:02 PM.
AlabamaSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ebitz

great write up A+
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
-05-06 is probably the least desirable year. the design was pretty bland and the rookie class wasn't too great. all are numbered to 50. however, there's 1 very popular player who's only LL issue was 05-06. you can do some research to find out who
Would Bill Russell be a good guess?

Quote:
-09-10 is the other side of the argument to 03-04. while the design was a return to that of the 06-07 version (with a few minor changes), UD got really weird with their numbering. I believe the highest print run in this set is right around 20. there were a number of high end collectors who chose to put this set together, which means many of the lower numbered players are all but 'gone' from the open market. as an example, the 09-10 brandon roy LL just sold for a little over 300 bucks. why so much for a guy who will never be anywhere near the popularity or value that he was in his prime? because theres only 10 of them in existence.
I like the 2006-07 and 2009-10 designs the best, just something about the patch window and use of colors that really catches my eye. The 2007-08 release of The Cup had a similar design and it's one of my favourites. I also kind of like the shorter and varying print runs. I wish UD would do something more limited like that with The Cup hockey.

If you ask me Limited Logos (in any sport) should be done like this:

- Use only logo patches, no nameplates or numbers. It's not a "Limited Logo" if it's a piece of a number.
- Limit the print runs to the number of logo patches you can cut from a jersey. If you can only cut 21 patches then make the card #/21, if you can cut 34 make the card #/34, etc. Cutting a bunch of plain number patches just to round out a 50 copy print run hurts the set more than it helps it.

Thanks for the info so far this is all very interesting!

Last edited by Inferno; 01-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

ha, i was thinking of someone else. need to edit my post to '2' and not '1'. since you got me on the russell, the other guy is pippen. unfortunately, his auto is on a sticker. such a shame.

agreed on the numbering of 09-10. to panini's credit, they've also done some whacked out numbering with a few subsets (GS black gold patches & GS 14K patches come to mind). good way to add some variety.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

GREAT balanced and factual write-up!

I have the Russell...one of my favorite cards. It is actually lower numbered than 50. I think it's the only 05-06 logo that is?
Nsingerma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

crap, youre right. the 05-06 russell & erving are both numbered in the 20's, i believe. there may be a few others i missed.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

While on the LL subject, a quick question to anyone who may know...

I have a Lebron 03-04 LL #'d 50/75...on the back, it says it is GAME USED versus EVENT USED...I've never seen the back of an RPA Lebron/99, but I've heard it says event-used. Does anyone think the fact that it is supposedly a game-used rookie jersey on the LL that the value could see a rise down the road, or hold more value for that reason?

I assume value would rise anyway as Lebron piles up assorted hardware.

I also assume it would obviously never rival the RPA in value, as the RPA/99 is his true RC...just seeing if there was an opinion on that, as it is a GU rookie jersey -Matt
Mattsurewood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

yup the russell is /28 and i think the dr j is the same or might be /26
hairytrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

^^Yep...just check it is /28...

Here is a pic if interested OP...
Attached Thumbnails
Exquisite Limited Logos - Educate Me!-russell.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

good call, nate. here's some design reference scans of each release from 03-04 to 09-10:

03-04

04-05

05-06

06-07

07-08

08-09

09-10
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Very informative and interesting post. Should be useful to lots of collectors, including me
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

"tiny" archibald and gervin appeared in 07-08. i havent seen an archibald on ebay in a long time. its a great looking card.
patchgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchgenie View Post
"tiny" archibald and gervin appeared in 07-08. i havent seen an archibald on ebay in a long time. its a great looking card.
good call on tiny. the ones that do show up all seem to have very striking, multicolor patches. makes a great addition to a 50 greatest set.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

nathan wats ur russell graded?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

a tiny sold this past month i missed it i think it went for 150ish range
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

$136

2008 Exquisite Collection Nate Archibald Jersey Auto 50 ll NA PWCC | eBay
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the great insight. I am looking to start acquiring some of these myself x
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

These are beautiful cards! But alot have fake patches, so BOLO
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

I only have 2 from basketball, both from 04-05. That's my favorite year. I also have a sweet Kobe Auto/Patch /100 from 04-05. Just wish I had bought more when I could have.

I have about 15 of these from hockey, mostly 10-11.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairytrojan View Post
nathan wats ur russell graded?
8.5 bgs....
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Griffey View Post
I only have 2 from basketball, both from 04-05. That's my favorite year. I also have a sweet Kobe Auto/Patch /100 from 04-05. Just wish I had bought more when I could have.

I have about 15 of these from hockey, mostly 10-11.
That is gorgeous, but it's clearly a throwback/event-worn jersey, which dampens the mood IMO.
I also have a hard time trusting UD that all of their legend/superstar jerseys are completely legit, though it would be impossible to tell that.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Still have some nice ones available actually...

HOF Exquisite LOGOS available
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

For the price I couldn't pass up the Howard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
That is gorgeous, but it's clearly a throwback/event-worn jersey, which dampens the mood IMO.
I also have a hard time trusting UD that all of their legend/superstar jerseys are completely legit, though it would be impossible to tell that.