Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default High end cards vs game worn jerseys

Which do you think is a better long term invenstment? High end cards like Exquisite and National Treasure, or game worn jerseys with either team LOA's or Meigray LOA's?

I currently have a ton of cards, and only a few gamers...which do you see would hold more value over time?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

I think it depends on where you see the future of the hobby.

Game Worn Jerseys (or other high end memorobilia) I think will always hold value, because not only is it collectible, but it can be "displayed" - almost like art on some level - so people will always have a use for it. People are never going to stop displaying things in their homes.

Cards - I'm a pessimist on (and I am probably in the minority and that's OK) - I just don't see how the industry keeps going for 50 more years. With companies losing money, losing licenses with leagues, the ability to "trade" seeming to go down exponentially by the year (it's all buy/sell these days at least with high end stuff), as well as new regulations that are going to happen as far as taxes, using eBay, being incorporated etc...within 5 years everyone will get a 1099 that sells cards - write it down - and it's going to cause headaches for the "normal" collector - I just see it pushing more and more people away.

Who knows. I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see the card market going strong - but I just don't think it'll happen.

If I was a betting man I'd rather pump $1,500 into an amazing piece of memorobilia I can display in my home as opposed to $1,500 for a John Wall NT that will sit in a box unless I display all my cards (picking on him as he doesn't impress me over but obviously his prices are high) that I don't see being worth close to that in 20 years.

That's just me.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you only considering those two options?

Or are you open to other investment avenues?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Are you only considering those two options?

Or are you open to other investment avenues?
Right now just considering these two options as baskteball is my passion, as is collecting....I'm a collector first, but if I'm low on cash, it's nice to have a high end card or piece of memorabilia that you can sell easily to help make your mortgage payment. Just lookign to see opinions on which would be the better investment between the two.
Me personally, I'd rather have a D Rose game worn jersey than a logoman....as it's the whole jersey, not just the logo....what are your thoughts?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

As investment, game used jersey over cards all day. I prefer cards, but I do believe that game used jersey's are a smarter investment.
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
As investment, game used jersey over cards all day. I prefer cards, but I do believe that game used jersey's are a smarter investment.
why is that so? I never thought of this before...

is there any "price guide" (like Beckett) for game used jersey....

I looked up the Mei Grey website just now
a Kobe regular season game used is $8000
a Durant/D Wade is $ 6000

I guess....it s better then an auto'd piece of patch from the jersey ...
I mean, some Kobe exquisite Limited logos are around 3-5k BIN on ebay...
whereas for $8k, you get the whole jersey, logo,....
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
In a perfect world yes, but in reality, the cards usually sell for more. Strange but true
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
In a perfect world yes, but in reality, the cards usually sell for more. Strange but true
is it because of it is easier to "store"
jerseys are much bigger...

jerseys carry much more "historical" value though....
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've always thought game used items were more of a unique way of collecting. However, I think both high-end and game used is an equal risk. It all really depends on the players involved as well. If it is established sure fire Hall Of Famers and what not, there is going to be slightly less risk.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming View Post
is it because of it is easier to "store"
jerseys are much bigger...

jerseys carry much more "historical" value though....
Trust me I agree.

But unless its a jersey from the ABA, 90% of the time the cards fetch more. Crazy world we live in
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Cards are higer risk, higher reward....whereas GW jerseys are more steady and lower risk. For jerseys, prices go up incrementally from year to year whereas cards can really jump (like double or triple its value) within a year or even months. The flip side is you can lose alot of money in cards if you buy the wrong players or sets.

Collecting Bulls Players 3 Color GU Patch Cards.
thecomebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomebacker View Post
Cards are higer risk, higher reward....whereas GW jerseys are more steady and lower risk. For jerseys, prices go up incrementally from year to year whereas cards can really jump (like double or triple its value) within a year or even months. The flip side is you can lose alot of money in cards if you buy the wrong players or sets.

I agree with you there....I've seen my Taj Gibson rookie gamer go up from what buyers are willing to spend...picked it up for under 1k, and can easily get 2k for it now....
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Old school player jersey = Yes!

Modern day player jerseys = Not so much...

At the rate the players change their jerseys today, there will be a million jerseys for each player by the time they retire lol

There are millions of people around the world who collect cards, and as the game of basketball gets even bigger, there will be even more fans, thus more card collectors. To begin with, collecting cards and game jerseys is two totally different things... but one thing is for sure, there are more card collectors than there are jersey collectors. I personally don't own not one game used whole jersey, just not my thing. Like I said above, at the rate the players are changing into new jerseys every two seconds, there will be a ratio of 50 jerseys on a particular player to 1 jersey collector haha, so I don't think the modern day jerseys will be anything too special in the future, while cards will always be collected by many, and in these days, they're very limited.

If you have a chance to buy an old school player jersey, BUY IT!!!

I suggest 1990's and below. When i said old school players, I had in mind 1970's, 60's, 50's... but you're still ok with the 80's and some 90's, depending on the player. A great example would be Kurt Rambis... try finding his game used jerseys.

Isn't it funny, back in the days the cards used to be printed by the MILLIONS, while the jerseys were rarely switched, and today, the cards become very limited with all these very low serial numberings, but the players switch jerseys like we use toilet paper!!! lol...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

The problem with older jerseys is that you don't know for sure that they're legit, they're all just from someone's opinion.

New ones (Meigray) are 100% legit as they come direct from the NBA. But yeah there are heaps of them. Unless it's a special jersey of someone (ie debut, milestone) I can't see them appreciating in value. Then again, one person buys all the special jerseys on auction anyway...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Back in the day, waaay back, they didn't have the NBA store where fans could by their favorite players' jersey... they probably made home made ones. I doubt there are many people out there replicating an exact copy of the old jerseys and putting years of sweat on it, snots, blood, dirt, and more sweat.

It's very easy these days to guarantee a jersey 100% only because they're so common. I'm pretty sure there's a chance to copy jerseys from the 80's and 90's, but once you hit the 70's, 60's, and 50's, it would be VERY hard to do, if not impossible! The beauty of the old school jerseys, with the players sweat to seal the deal. It shouldn't be hard for jersey experts to authenticate a true cintage jersey.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Back in the day, waaay back, they didn't have the NBA store where fans could by their favorite players' jersey... they probably made home made ones. I doubt there are many people out there replicating an exact copy of the old jerseys and putting years of sweat on it, snots, blood, dirt, and more sweat.

It's very easy these days to guarantee a jersey 100% only because they're so common. I'm pretty sure there's a chance to copy jerseys from the 80's and 90's, but once you hit the 70's, 60's, and 50's, it would be VERY hard to do, if not impossible! The beauty of the old school jerseys, with the players sweat to seal the deal. It shouldn't be hard for jersey experts to authenticate a true cintage jersey.
There's a seller on ebay who 'customizes' jerseys and sells them off as game worn. Some places have been caught trying to make jerseys seem game worn by adding dirt, wearing themselves to create sweat stains etc. There aren't a lot of ethics in this industry...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
There's a seller on ebay who 'customizes' jerseys and sells them off as game worn. Some places have been caught trying to make jerseys seem game worn by adding dirt, wearing themselves to create sweat stains etc. There aren't a lot of ethics in this industry...
Are we talking 70's, 60's and 50's jerseys? Can you post some links please? I really doubt this is the case. Maybe 80's, 90's to present?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah more 80s 90s and NFL, but it does happen. Hell, with the amount of fakes made of everything these days do you doubt that people could fake 50s-70s jerseys?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Last edited by tristan20; 02-05-2013 at 07:33 PM.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah more 80s 90s and NFL, but it does happen. Hell, with the amount of fakes made of everything these days do you doubt that people could fake 50s-70s jerseys?
That's why I stick more with the older school gu cards... Yeah, I was talking more about 50's, 60's and 70's.

I don't doubt anything... and just for the heck of it, i would have to say, sure, anything is possible. But with those years, very highly unlikely. That's why if I ever did buy a whole game used jersey, it would have to be the really old school players. I wouldn't personally touch 80's, 90's till present... unless the source was VERY good. And even then, i still wouldn't sleep 100% on it. I would almost buy a jersey from the 70's, 60's and 50's with my eyes closed.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem with older jerseys is that you don't know for sure that they're legit, they're all just from someone's opinion.

New ones (Meigray) are 100% legit as they come direct from the NBA. But yeah there are heaps of them. Unless it's a special jersey of someone (ie debut, milestone) I can't see them appreciating in value. Then again, one person buys all the special jerseys on auction anyway...
It seems as if the past few years, players get 2 jerseys to wear each game, however, I know in 08/09 and 09/10, there were many less jerseys worn...some for multiple games. What about a Rookie year gamer of Rose, or another superstar where many aren't available? Would that gain value over time??
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
It seems as if the past few years, players get 2 jerseys to wear each game, however, I know in 08/09 and 09/10, there were many less jerseys worn...some for multiple games. What about a Rookie year gamer of Rose, or another superstar where many aren't available? Would that gain value over time??
I would say so, yes. Rookie year is one I would classify as 'special' - it has more meaning than just any other (year) jersey.

When buying my jerseys I wanted those with more meaning that just season debut, hence why I got two player TEAM debuts (just can't sell them now dammit).
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Older jerseys you can't trust at all.

I'd say a MeiGray authenticated gamer is a true piece of history.
Will be fun watching all All Star stuff come out for auctions.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Game used jerseys are a lot harder to move, the price you pay to buy it from a reputable seller like MeiGray will most likely be less than the price you sell it for

PICASA: https://picasaweb.google.com/117829626225350915904?noredirect=1
kenny3011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

I just sold my entire Lebron and Kobe collection to get in to game used jerseys... I think its the next step up from cards....