Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,400
Default High end cards vs game worn jerseys

Which do you think is a better long term invenstment? High end cards like Exquisite and National Treasure, or game worn jerseys with either team LOA's or Meigray LOA's?

I currently have a ton of cards, and only a few gamers...which do you see would hold more value over time?
__________________
I collect D Rose, Eric Gordon, and Jimmy Buckets
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,512
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

I think it depends on where you see the future of the hobby.

Game Worn Jerseys (or other high end memorobilia) I think will always hold value, because not only is it collectible, but it can be "displayed" - almost like art on some level - so people will always have a use for it. People are never going to stop displaying things in their homes.

Cards - I'm a pessimist on (and I am probably in the minority and that's OK) - I just don't see how the industry keeps going for 50 more years. With companies losing money, losing licenses with leagues, the ability to "trade" seeming to go down exponentially by the year (it's all buy/sell these days at least with high end stuff), as well as new regulations that are going to happen as far as taxes, using eBay, being incorporated etc...within 5 years everyone will get a 1099 that sells cards - write it down - and it's going to cause headaches for the "normal" collector - I just see it pushing more and more people away.

Who knows. I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see the card market going strong - but I just don't think it'll happen.

If I was a betting man I'd rather pump $1,500 into an amazing piece of memorobilia I can display in my home as opposed to $1,500 for a John Wall NT that will sit in a box unless I display all my cards (picking on him as he doesn't impress me over but obviously his prices are high) that I don't see being worth close to that in 20 years.

That's just me.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9,168
Default

Are you only considering those two options?

Or are you open to other investment avenues?
__________________
"All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me."
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Are you only considering those two options?

Or are you open to other investment avenues?
Right now just considering these two options as baskteball is my passion, as is collecting....I'm a collector first, but if I'm low on cash, it's nice to have a high end card or piece of memorabilia that you can sell easily to help make your mortgage payment. Just lookign to see opinions on which would be the better investment between the two.
Me personally, I'd rather have a D Rose game worn jersey than a logoman....as it's the whole jersey, not just the logo....what are your thoughts?
__________________
I collect D Rose, Eric Gordon, and Jimmy Buckets
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Drdduet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 902
Default

As investment, game used jersey over cards all day. I prefer cards, but I do believe that game used jersey's are a smarter investment.
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
As investment, game used jersey over cards all day. I prefer cards, but I do believe that game used jersey's are a smarter investment.
why is that so? I never thought of this before...

is there any "price guide" (like Beckett) for game used jersey....

I looked up the Mei Grey website just now
a Kobe regular season game used is $8000
a Durant/D Wade is $ 6000

I guess....it s better then an auto'd piece of patch from the jersey ...
I mean, some Kobe exquisite Limited logos are around 3-5k BIN on ebay...
whereas for $8k, you get the whole jersey, logo,....
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,850
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
As investment, game used jersey over cards all day. I prefer cards, but I do believe that game used jersey's are a smarter investment.
In a perfect world yes, but in reality, the cards usually sell for more. Strange but true
__________________
!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
In a perfect world yes, but in reality, the cards usually sell for more. Strange but true
is it because of it is easier to "store"
jerseys are much bigger...

jerseys carry much more "historical" value though....
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,036
Default

I've always thought game used items were more of a unique way of collecting. However, I think both high-end and game used is an equal risk. It all really depends on the players involved as well. If it is established sure fire Hall Of Famers and what not, there is going to be slightly less risk.
__________________
Photobucket: http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/gonzagacubs/
gonzagacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,850
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming View Post
is it because of it is easier to "store"
jerseys are much bigger...

jerseys carry much more "historical" value though....
Trust me I agree.

But unless its a jersey from the ABA, 90% of the time the cards fetch more. Crazy world we live in
__________________
!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
thecomebacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,067
Default

Cards are higer risk, higher reward....whereas GW jerseys are more steady and lower risk. For jerseys, prices go up incrementally from year to year whereas cards can really jump (like double or triple its value) within a year or even months. The flip side is you can lose alot of money in cards if you buy the wrong players or sets.
__________________
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Collecting Bulls Players 3 Color GU Patch Cards.
thecomebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomebacker View Post
Cards are higer risk, higher reward....whereas GW jerseys are more steady and lower risk. For jerseys, prices go up incrementally from year to year whereas cards can really jump (like double or triple its value) within a year or even months. The flip side is you can lose alot of money in cards if you buy the wrong players or sets.

I agree with you there....I've seen my Taj Gibson rookie gamer go up from what buyers are willing to spend...picked it up for under 1k, and can easily get 2k for it now....
__________________
I collect D Rose, Eric Gordon, and Jimmy Buckets
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
SportsItUpCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collector since 1992
Posts: 12,948
Default

Old school player jersey = Yes!

Modern day player jerseys = Not so much...

At the rate the players change their jerseys today, there will be a million jerseys for each player by the time they retire lol

There are millions of people around the world who collect cards, and as the game of basketball gets even bigger, there will be even more fans, thus more card collectors. To begin with, collecting cards and game jerseys is two totally different things... but one thing is for sure, there are more card collectors than there are jersey collectors. I personally don't own not one game used whole jersey, just not my thing. Like I said above, at the rate the players are changing into new jerseys every two seconds, there will be a ratio of 50 jerseys on a particular player to 1 jersey collector haha, so I don't think the modern day jerseys will be anything too special in the future, while cards will always be collected by many, and in these days, they're very limited.

If you have a chance to buy an old school player jersey, BUY IT!!!

I suggest 1990's and below. When i said old school players, I had in mind 1970's, 60's, 50's... but you're still ok with the 80's and some 90's, depending on the player. A great example would be Kurt Rambis... try finding his game used jerseys.

Isn't it funny, back in the days the cards used to be printed by the MILLIONS, while the jerseys were rarely switched, and today, the cards become very limited with all these very low serial numberings, but the players switch jerseys like we use toilet paper!!! lol...
__________________
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,101
Default

The problem with older jerseys is that you don't know for sure that they're legit, they're all just from someone's opinion.

New ones (Meigray) are 100% legit as they come direct from the NBA. But yeah there are heaps of them. Unless it's a special jersey of someone (ie debut, milestone) I can't see them appreciating in value. Then again, one person buys all the special jerseys on auction anyway...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
SportsItUpCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collector since 1992
Posts: 12,948
Default

Back in the day, waaay back, they didn't have the NBA store where fans could by their favorite players' jersey... they probably made home made ones. I doubt there are many people out there replicating an exact copy of the old jerseys and putting years of sweat on it, snots, blood, dirt, and more sweat.

It's very easy these days to guarantee a jersey 100% only because they're so common. I'm pretty sure there's a chance to copy jerseys from the 80's and 90's, but once you hit the 70's, 60's, and 50's, it would be VERY hard to do, if not impossible! The beauty of the old school jerseys, with the players sweat to seal the deal. It shouldn't be hard for jersey experts to authenticate a true cintage jersey.
__________________
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Back in the day, waaay back, they didn't have the NBA store where fans could by their favorite players' jersey... they probably made home made ones. I doubt there are many people out there replicating an exact copy of the old jerseys and putting years of sweat on it, snots, blood, dirt, and more sweat.

It's very easy these days to guarantee a jersey 100% only because they're so common. I'm pretty sure there's a chance to copy jerseys from the 80's and 90's, but once you hit the 70's, 60's, and 50's, it would be VERY hard to do, if not impossible! The beauty of the old school jerseys, with the players sweat to seal the deal. It shouldn't be hard for jersey experts to authenticate a true cintage jersey.
There's a seller on ebay who 'customizes' jerseys and sells them off as game worn. Some places have been caught trying to make jerseys seem game worn by adding dirt, wearing themselves to create sweat stains etc. There aren't a lot of ethics in this industry...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
SportsItUpCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collector since 1992
Posts: 12,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
There's a seller on ebay who 'customizes' jerseys and sells them off as game worn. Some places have been caught trying to make jerseys seem game worn by adding dirt, wearing themselves to create sweat stains etc. There aren't a lot of ethics in this industry...
Are we talking 70's, 60's and 50's jerseys? Can you post some links please? I really doubt this is the case. Maybe 80's, 90's to present?
__________________
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,101
Default

Yeah more 80s 90s and NFL, but it does happen. Hell, with the amount of fakes made of everything these days do you doubt that people could fake 50s-70s jerseys?
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,850
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default


__________________
!

Last edited by tristan20; 02-05-2013 at 07:33 PM.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
SportsItUpCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collector since 1992
Posts: 12,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Yeah more 80s 90s and NFL, but it does happen. Hell, with the amount of fakes made of everything these days do you doubt that people could fake 50s-70s jerseys?
That's why I stick more with the older school gu cards... Yeah, I was talking more about 50's, 60's and 70's.

I don't doubt anything... and just for the heck of it, i would have to say, sure, anything is possible. But with those years, very highly unlikely. That's why if I ever did buy a whole game used jersey, it would have to be the really old school players. I wouldn't personally touch 80's, 90's till present... unless the source was VERY good. And even then, i still wouldn't sleep 100% on it. I would almost buy a jersey from the 70's, 60's and 50's with my eyes closed.
__________________
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
The problem with older jerseys is that you don't know for sure that they're legit, they're all just from someone's opinion.

New ones (Meigray) are 100% legit as they come direct from the NBA. But yeah there are heaps of them. Unless it's a special jersey of someone (ie debut, milestone) I can't see them appreciating in value. Then again, one person buys all the special jerseys on auction anyway...
It seems as if the past few years, players get 2 jerseys to wear each game, however, I know in 08/09 and 09/10, there were many less jerseys worn...some for multiple games. What about a Rookie year gamer of Rose, or another superstar where many aren't available? Would that gain value over time??
__________________
I collect D Rose, Eric Gordon, and Jimmy Buckets
whiteboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
It seems as if the past few years, players get 2 jerseys to wear each game, however, I know in 08/09 and 09/10, there were many less jerseys worn...some for multiple games. What about a Rookie year gamer of Rose, or another superstar where many aren't available? Would that gain value over time??
I would say so, yes. Rookie year is one I would classify as 'special' - it has more meaning than just any other (year) jersey.

When buying my jerseys I wanted those with more meaning that just season debut, hence why I got two player TEAM debuts (just can't sell them now dammit).
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
pnft17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,044
Default

Older jerseys you can't trust at all.

I'd say a MeiGray authenticated gamer is a true piece of history.
Will be fun watching all All Star stuff come out for auctions.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
kenny3011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,840
Default

Game used jerseys are a lot harder to move, the price you pay to buy it from a reputable seller like MeiGray will most likely be less than the price you sell it for
__________________
PHOTOBUCKET: http://photobucket.com/kenny3011

PICASA: https://picasaweb.google.com/117829626225350915904?noredirect=1
kenny3011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
chrismiller81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,458
Default

I just sold my entire Lebron and Kobe collection to get in to game used jerseys... I think its the next step up from cards....
__________________
LEBRON.......KOBE......
EXQUISITES WANTED
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.