Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default The Royce White saga continues...

Hopefully this thread doesn't get crazy but this is a really interesting article.

Chuck Klosterman on Royce White - Grantland

Points about athletes and own doctors and the twitter/ social media impact is all fascinating.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I read it the other day. It's a fascinating read. White is too deep for his own good. He makes some valid/interesting points.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

So what is his end game?

Ok, so let's say 80% of the population has a mental disorder? What does he want to happen? He thinks capitalism causes stress and stress is bad. So what is everyone suppose to do? Life in gerneral is stressful. So do the 80% get a doctor to tell them if the are ok to work on a certain day? How is society suppose to flow or continue if everyone (80%) can just pick and choose when to work? Not to get political but this sounds like some crazy liberal marxist babble.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNJOHNNY View Post
So what is his end game?

Ok, so let's say 80% of the population has a mental disorder? What does he want to happen? He thinks capitalism causes stress and stress is bad. So what is everyone suppose to do? Life in gerneral is stressful. So do the 80% get a doctor to tell them if the are ok to work on a certain day? How is society suppose to flow or continue if everyone (80%) can just pick and choose when to work? Not to get political but this sounds like some crazy liberal marxist babble.
Even though he's never played a single minute in the NBA, he's part of the 2% that he blames?
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastar View Post
Even though he's never played a single minute in the NBA, he's part of the 2% that he blames?
that is funny

do you know that if you make $34,000 a year, you are in the worlds richest 1%. and that America makes up half of the worlds 1%
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

God Lord. Can he be so depressed and mentally ill that he is just brain washed? That is crazy. Nothing else to say.
RandysHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Like I said before, the guy wants to be a martyr. He's living in his own reality. His attitude about the whole process is grating. He wants to portray himself as this deep-thinking intellectual, but he completely ignores the practical application and consequences of his theories. There is a better way to handle all of this, but anonymity isn't conducive to his true motive. I digress...

Also, the part about, "I wanted this in my contract," is all well and good... except for the fact that it isn't allowed by the CBA. Might as well demand a unicorn while he's at it.

From everything that has come out, the Rockets have made reasonable accommodations for White. It's on him if he ever makes something out of his career or not. I seriously doubt he cares about having a successful basketball career, though. He just wants a pulpit.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
Like I said before, the guy wants to be a martyr. He's living in his own reality. His attitude about the whole process is grating. He wants to portray himself as this deep-thinking intellectual, but he completely ignores the practical application and consequences of his theories. There is a better way to handle all of this, but anonymity isn't conducive to his true motive. I digress...

Also, the part about, "I wanted this in my contract," is all well and good... except for the fact that it isn't allowed by the CBA. Might as well demand a unicorn while he's at it.

From everything that has come out, the Rockets have made reasonable accommodations for White. It's on him if he ever makes something out of his career or not. I seriously doubt he cares about having a successful basketball career, though. He just wants a pulpit.
Well said
It's like he's in his own little world.
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

His point about team doctors is spot on though.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I actually think that he has a lot of good points, but his position on what people SHOULD be doing for him makes him sound like a spoiled psycho. I think there is a conflict of interest that a team has a team doctor they pay for, because in the end the loyalty is to the team over the player. Maybe a expert of the player's choice would yield better results. I think that there are a large % of the people who have some type of mental illness, the word mental illness is very broad here. Some people might have fleeting mental illness that goes away quckly or with limited treatment, some might have it their whole life. Some might have it and it affect their ability to socialize and some might have an issue performing a job and other may not. And I'm sure there are financial and socioeconomic stats on this stuff to his 2% theory.

But what he does to himself is take all those possibly valid thoughts and throw them out the window when he makes demands or discusses what SHOULD be. The Rockets and every other NBA team didn't HAVE to draft White. They did so because it was a business decision where they figured if we work with him, try to help him and he can play, we could be really good! All NBA teams coulda just let him pass through the rounds and go, sorry, he won't travel so until he works that out if he can, he won't be playing for anyone.

So he seems unappreciative. People have it much worse than being an NBA player. People suffer with worse mental trauma than fear of flying, he doesn't seem to get that while his thoughts have validity, the world isn't always fair and nobody wants to here his ideas when they are stated the way he delivers the info.

I'm a big proponent of helping the mentally ill and mentally ill is a term that should be changed because it scares rational but uninformed people off from understanding the problem, but this guy doesn't make you root for him.

Last edited by dasiegel; 02-07-2013 at 06:11 PM.
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wont read the article because Im short on time but its easy. Put up or shut up. You don't want to follow your employers requests? then move on to something else. Theres plenty of people who will truly value the opportunity that the Rockets are offering, unlike this guy.

This isn't an issue of mental illness in my eyes. You can either fulfill the contract or you cant, plain and simple. Are you gonna try and become a surgeon if you suffer from turrets? and you gonna be a bus driver if you suffer from epilepsy? NO, so if you cant travel to the away games for your contract then you shouldn't play in the NBA.

Last edited by XARZY; 02-07-2013 at 10:37 PM.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
I wont read the article because Im short on time but its easy. Put up or shut up. You don't want to follow your employers requests? then move on to something else. Theres plenty of people who will truly value the opportunity that the Rockets are offering, unlike this guy.

This isn't an issue of mental illness in my eyes. You can either fulfill the contract or you cant, plain and simple. Are you gonna try and become a surgeon if you suffer from turrets? and you gonna be a bus driver if you suffer from epilepsy? NO, so if you cant travel to the away games for your contract then you shouldn't play in the NBA.
I can tell you didn't read the article.haha