Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #26 (permalink)

collecting Jonny Flynn
Im in the Syracuse area and loved watching him play along with the rest of the SU team. That 7 OT game was awesome and Flynn was one fo the main guys to lead SU to that historical win. At the time i had just finished up with collecting Mike Hart (football) as he is a local HS FB legend and probably still has the most yds and TDs in a season and my cousin played with FB with him in HS. But after his cards i went with Jonny Flynn, to get back in to basketball. And I wanted to stay with a local guy and Carmelo was already selling to high for me. And when i collect i like to try and have the best collection and it was too late for Melo. SO I went with rookie PG Jonny Flynn.
First year was good than thigns just went down hill from their. Hes playing in the Austrailn NBL now, tearing it up over their. Im hoping he makes it back to the NBA next year and that 1% chance he turns it BIG also, FLYNNSANITY

And since im just about done with him, im thinkg about Ryan Nassib for FB next year, if he gets pickd up by team that will use him as starter or maybe another SU BB player, not sure which yet.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

I really like the NBA but I LOVE college basketball. So my entire NBA PC is players who went to school at the University of Kansas.
Jayhawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
I collect Steve Francis. Have been collecting him since he was a rookie. That was a great year for me in card collecting... I was collecting waaay before that, but that was such an exciting year with the first ever AUTOGRAPHED rookie cards! It was unheard of haha and just the year before with the first ever serial numbered RC's. That was such an exciting time to collect. I actually was one of the lucky collectors in the world to pull a Steve Francis 1999-00 Spx RC Auto/500. That card was like pulling a Lebron Exquisite RC/99 these days. That card was HOT!!! I believe it started at around $250 or so, and kept going up, and up, and up! Was in the Beckett hot list month after month, and think it went as high as $850, or maybe $900, which at the time was great money. I actually opened up a "hot" box of 1999-00 Spx which included that Francis RC, along with 7 or 8 other rookies, which included the other two hot ones, the Odom and Elton Brand. And the big one! Michael Jordan MJ Final Floor AUTOGRAPH/23!!! It was a redemption... $9,000.00 book at the time. So yeah, I would say it was the greatest time in collecting for me.

So i've collected Steve Francis ever since! Didn't buy anything expensive back in the day, just small cards... very lucky to jump start my pc with his Spx RC/500. So now I always pick up missing links to my Francis pc. But that 1999-00 Spx set is what started it ALL..... Off the top of my head, Steve Francis, or any other player that year don't have any other autographed RC. So those were very special that year, and started the whole autographed RC. That set is definitely in basketball card history books.

So yeah, I still enjoy collecting Steve Francis very much! It was a great time for me to collect back then for many reasons.... one is, use to go to the card shops all the time with my then girl friend, and she would open up boxes with me She actually would pick all the hot boxes, we always pulled great stuff, We would go to card shows also, and even sold at a few card shows back then. So yeah, all around it was a great time for me to collect, and still is today. Every time I pick up a nice Steve Francis, I show her and she says, yeah... I remember those cards! haha Good ol times.

Thanks for the thread, and the chance to look back and share my story. Look forward in reading some stories.
cool story!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtsfan33 View Post
For the people who collect scrubs, but very avidly, why?

What got you in to collecting them?

For example, I've always wondered why CrazyMj collects Yi Jianlian.
I think his name is actually Yi too
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #30 (permalink)

I collect Bobby Jackson.

Simply because he is my favorite Gopher of all time and one of the Gopher greats! Played on arguably the best Gophers team in their history. Also loved how much of a spark plug he was coming off the bench in the NBA! He was a fantastic 6th man and he could put up some points, but mainly collect him because he played for the Gophers and was a great player for them.

I also love how his RCs were in the late 90s so there are some rare inserts and nice numbered cards of him to "chase". Also, some of the auto sets he was in, in the early 2000s are absolutely gorgeous and well designed, so that is always appealing as well!

The one problem with collecting Bobby is how difficult it is to find his cards on these boards. Nobody wants to trade, only sell and it has made it quite difficult. I am still working on the PC but it is quite small right now (sadly)
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/hotshotter/Sports%20Cards/
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
cool story!!!
Thank you!

Sometimes I wish I could go back to those good ol times...

It's all about the 76ers in 2015...
SportsItUpCards is online now   Reply With Quote