Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default For People Who Collect Obscure Players...

For the people who collect scrubs, but very avidly, why?

What got you in to collecting them?

For example, I've always wondered why CrazyMj collects Yi Jianlian.
It's a different world..Its the search for the unknown
It's the glory of looking at your collection and saying it's mine, I built this.
Celtsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

My guy is actually a pretty good golfer, but he only has a few basketball cards.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I collect Steve Francis. Have been collecting him since he was a rookie. That was a great year for me in card collecting... I was collecting waaay before that, but that was such an exciting year with the first ever AUTOGRAPHED rookie cards! It was unheard of haha and just the year before with the first ever serial numbered RC's. That was such an exciting time to collect. I actually was one of the lucky collectors in the world to pull a Steve Francis 1999-00 Spx RC Auto/500. That card was like pulling a Lebron Exquisite RC/99 these days. That card was HOT!!! I believe it started at around $250 or so, and kept going up, and up, and up! Was in the Beckett hot list month after month, and think it went as high as $850, or maybe $900, which at the time was great money. I actually opened up a "hot" box of 1999-00 Spx which included that Francis RC, along with 7 or 8 other rookies, which included the other two hot ones, the Odom and Elton Brand. And the big one! Michael Jordan MJ Final Floor AUTOGRAPH/23!!! It was a redemption... $9,000.00 book at the time. So yeah, I would say it was the greatest time in collecting for me.

So i've collected Steve Francis ever since! Didn't buy anything expensive back in the day, just small cards... very lucky to jump start my pc with his Spx RC/500. So now I always pick up missing links to my Francis pc. But that 1999-00 Spx set is what started it ALL..... Off the top of my head, Steve Francis, or any other player that year don't have any other autographed RC. So those were very special that year, and started the whole autographed RC. That set is definitely in basketball card history books.

So yeah, I still enjoy collecting Steve Francis very much! It was a great time for me to collect back then for many reasons.... one is, use to go to the card shops all the time with my then girl friend, and she would open up boxes with me She actually would pick all the hot boxes, we always pulled great stuff, We would go to card shows also, and even sold at a few card shows back then. So yeah, all around it was a great time for me to collect, and still is today. Every time I pick up a nice Steve Francis, I show her and she says, yeah... I remember those cards! haha Good ol times.

Thanks for the thread, and the chance to look back and share my story. Look forward in reading some stories.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

^^^ That is probably the best answer somebody could have given. Very nice!!
HOUSTON ASTROS/COLT .45s (AND MINOR LEAGUE AFFILIATE) COLLECTOR
Berkman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I collect scrubs for two main reasons:

(1) building sets, and/or
(2) just for good old memories

I still remember my first ever autograph card pulled - 1996-97 Autographics Bobby Phills (RIP) - which I still keep it and is what makes me decide to start building this set today.
When I firstly pulled that card back in Hong Kong, I was completely speechless - it is such a beauty to me.

Last edited by bjho852; 02-09-2013 at 04:14 PM.
bjho852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkman32 View Post
^^^ That is probably the best answer somebody could have given. Very nice!!
I was thinking the same thing LOL

I collect all pacers so needless to say, scrub city until recently.
greetl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

The 1% chance that he's the next Jeremy Lin and I can turn $100 to $100,000
crazymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I collect Courtney Lee on the side, not a scrub scrub, but not a star either.. but I collect him because I've liked him since we drafted him in Orlando. Was upset he got traded away. But I enjoy buying a bunch of his cards because it gives me a chance to own some nice Patch Autos in high end sets that I can't collect high end rookies of.

example, I love the 08/09 Exquisite set, but can't afford collecting the Rose rookie, but I can still collect the Courtney Lees with nice patches.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

A lot of people start collecting someone there rookie year before they turn into a scrub, and stick with them.

Who is the person with the Reece Gaines collection?
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
The 1% chance that he's the next Jeremy Lin and I can turn $100 to $100,000
I collect Quincy Miller for the 0.1% chance that happens. LOL
puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
I collect Steve Francis. Have been collecting him since he was a rookie. That was a great year for me in card collecting... I was collecting waaay before that, but that was such an exciting year with the first ever AUTOGRAPHED rookie cards! It was unheard of haha and just the year before with the first ever serial numbered RC's. That was such an exciting time to collect. I actually was one of the lucky collectors in the world to pull a Steve Francis 1999-00 Spx RC Auto/500. That card was like pulling a Lebron Exquisite RC/99 these days. That card was HOT!!! I believe it started at around $250 or so, and kept going up, and up, and up! Was in the Beckett hot list month after month, and think it went as high as $850, or maybe $900, which at the time was great money. I actually opened up a "hot" box of 1999-00 Spx which included that Francis RC, along with 7 or 8 other rookies, which included the other two hot ones, the Odom and Elton Brand. And the big one! Michael Jordan MJ Final Floor AUTOGRAPH/23!!! It was a redemption... $9,000.00 book at the time. So yeah, I would say it was the greatest time in collecting for me.

So i've collected Steve Francis ever since! Didn't buy anything expensive back in the day, just small cards... very lucky to jump start my pc with his Spx RC/500. So now I always pick up missing links to my Francis pc. But that 1999-00 Spx set is what started it ALL..... Off the top of my head, Steve Francis, or any other player that year don't have any other autographed RC. So those were very special that year, and started the whole autographed RC. That set is definitely in basketball card history books.

So yeah, I still enjoy collecting Steve Francis very much! It was a great time for me to collect back then for many reasons.... one is, use to go to the card shops all the time with my then girl friend, and she would open up boxes with me She actually would pick all the hot boxes, we always pulled great stuff, We would go to card shows also, and even sold at a few card shows back then. So yeah, all around it was a great time for me to collect, and still is today. Every time I pick up a nice Steve Francis, I show her and she says, yeah... I remember those cards! haha Good ol times.

Thanks for the thread, and the chance to look back and share my story. Look forward in reading some stories.
WOW, what an answer! Thanks for sharing man!
It's a different world..Its the search for the unknown
It's the glory of looking at your collection and saying it's mine, I built this.
Celtsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungTLe View Post
I collect Courtney Lee on the side, not a scrub scrub, but not a star either.. but I collect him because I've liked him since we drafted him in Orlando. Was upset he got traded away. But I enjoy buying a bunch of his cards because it gives me a chance to own some nice Patch Autos in high end sets that I can't collect high end rookies of.

example, I love the 08/09 Exquisite set, but can't afford collecting the Rose rookie, but I can still collect the Courtney Lees with nice patches.
I used to have a lee pc too! I was shattered he he moved to the nets, but then after the rockets trade that was the last straw and I sold my PC off! Still have his exquisite though and another patch auto.

I collect eddie house, because when my now wife and i got together, was when he was playing in Boston, I was a heat fan but we watched a lot of celtics games, and at the time she adopted the. As her own team. And we saw eddie house spark of the bench and hit some big shots.
we would be yelling and chanting his name begging him to hit that corner 3! We bought a puppy together around that time, and guess what we named it! That's right, Eddie the puppy House!
Then not long after we moved in together I was going through boxes of my old stuff, found my child hood cards. Decided it would be fun to complete some of those old sets!
Well one thing led to another and I found my self at a card shop just as 2009-10 upper deck dropped. I bought my box, only the second box I ever broke ( the first was 08-09 upper deck only a month earlier!). So we ripped thru these packs. I was still fresh, and jersey cards and scrub autos really excited me! Lol. We pulled and eddie house UD Game materials I think is what it was called. But yeah that was massively exciting for us! And it felt like it was meant to be!
Now a few years later, me Daniella are married, and I have no doubt the biggest eddie house collection in the world!

Last edited by Shaun; 02-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtsfan33 View Post
WOW, what an answer! Thanks for sharing man!
Thank you!

I'm sure there are more stories out there...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

I collect several people (hockey) that are "scrubs".
Shane Doan
Nikolai Khabibulin
Jeremy Roenick (I guess he is not a scrub)

Phillippi Sparks (NY Giants)
Tony Womack (Dbacks)

Steve Nash (Suns not a scrub)

The first hockey game I went to in AZ was a Coyotes game.
We had great glass seats where the hockey players came out of and sat on the bench.
Great game and a few fights.
I had a blast and at the end of the game the goalie Nikolai Khabibulin took a puck out of his glove (ice used) and threw it to me.
Then he asked for it back and signed it.
Jeremy Roenick came over to myself and two other kids and gave us a signed puck as well (but it was with a black sharpie and I did not care at the time).
Darrin Shannon gave me a game used stick the same night.
We happen to get to know Roenick through family events.
I worked all year to save up for scalper tickets (glass seats for 20$ after 10min into the game ) and sat next to these guys all year so when I would see them I asked how they were doing and praise them or support them. They always took the time to say hi and converse with me. That started my card buying and collecting!

I also have love for a few baseball players like Curt Schilling and a few others on the Dbacks ESP TONY WOMACK. Their kids went to my school and a few of the dbacks did some lessons for the basketball playes (we also had suns players come as well which is why I am a Nash fan).
One year they bought the whole basketball team new shoes.. Pre-Release crazy shoes.
I played football so I did not get a pair

Phillippi Sparks (Jordin Sparks father) was my best friend (at the time) Donnies Uncle so I buy some of his stuff every now and then. I remember having BBQ's at his house and watching the old games. WHen I played football in HS he would give me pointers
Its odd b/c I am sure Jordin has become way more popular.

I guess I collect these people b/c it brings back memories of these people who made an impact on me when I was younger.
I did not see these people as STARS I saw them as good people.
I did a ton of these things with my father before he was ran over by a car and those memories are wraped up with him as well which is the main reason I think these things mean so much to me.

I still have the hockey stick and pucks from that first game as well as Jerseys etc.
I still have the Cleats Mr. Sparks gave me.
I still have the Baseballs the Dbacks gave me and a broken bat.

They are not worth much ($ wise) but to me they mean a ton!

EDIT I collect Lebron b/c I hate him

Last edited by thor_rider08; 02-11-2013 at 01:33 AM.
thor_rider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

I got back into the hobby after a short hiatus in 2006. Immediately I picked back up on my Pistons autograph collection. I had won a contest on another site and part of my winnings included a Will Blalock auto numbered out of 5. He was the only draft pick by Detroit that year and I hadn't collected a player since the 90's (Chipper Jones but he turned out to be far too expensive), so I figured I could just collect Blalock stuff as a side PC within the main one.

Even though he only played the 06-07 season in the NBA and has been bouncing around overseas and in the D-League since, I still enjoy the chase. It's budget friendly, which is a must having 3 kids, and the cards aren't limitless like with someone who still is in the league. While I know that the collection is worthless for the most part it's not about the money for me. I'm in the hobby to enjoy myself.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nice story! I like this one My wife is not into cards or even basketball at all unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I used to have a lee pc too! I was shattered he he moved to the nets, but then after the rockets trade that was the last straw and I sold my PC off! Still have his exquisite though and another patch auto.

I collect eddie house, because when my now wife and i got together, was when he was playing in Boston, I was a heat fan but we watched a lot of celtics games, and at the time she adopted the. As her own team. And we saw eddie house spark of the bench and hit some big shots.
we would be yelling and chanting his name begging him to hit that corner 3! We bought a puppy together around that time, and guess what we named it! That's right, Eddie the puppy House!
Then not long after we moved in together I was going through boxes of my old stuff, found my child hood cards. Decided it would be fun to complete some of those old sets!
Well one thing led to another and I found my self at a card shop just as 2009-10 upper deck dropped. I bought my box, only the second box I ever broke ( the first was 08-09 upper deck only a month earlier!). So we ripped thru these packs. I was still fresh, and jersey cards and scrub autos really excited me! Lol. We pulled and eddie house UD Game materials I think is what it was called. But yeah that was massively exciting for us! And it felt like it was meant to be!
Now a few years later, me Daniella are married, and I have no doubt the biggest eddie house collection in the world!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

I collect inscription cards. No matter how bad the player is.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
hwc

I collect the scrub players because I'm a fan of the league in general and the entire NBA draft history. I try to collect all the rookies that were drafted or played in the NBA. I'm working on trying to get all the auto's of the players drafted in the first round from 1990-present. Obviously, some of the earlier players don't have auto's but that's ok. The way I have my binders set up are the rookie cards all placed in the first column, autographs of those players in the 2nd column, and a base card in the 3rd and final column.
hwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Two "scrubs" I collect are Mason Plumlee and Kyle Singler. Mostly because they were very solid Duke players (2010 Champs), but also because the memories of seeing those two guys play (especially Kyle) bring back great memories from my past!

....And great story as usual Gio!

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection
Jtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtoole View Post
Two "scrubs" I collect are Mason Plumlee and Kyle Singler. Mostly because they were very solid Duke players (2010 Champs), but also because the memories of seeing those two guys play (especially Kyle) bring back great memories from my past!

....And great story as usual Gio!
I don't consider Singler a scrub....
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
lol I consider him a scrub

Heres my SCA with stuff FT or FS
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jdetter23
Tarheelsfan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
I mean I just wish he had a bigger role in Detroit

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection

Last edited by Jtoole; 02-12-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Jtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

Because I never liked Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

KEITH VAN HORN! was a nets fan in 96 and seeing his 2 buzz beaters his senior year at Utah and then getting drafted by my team in 97, instant fandom. I can afford his stuff now since im not a 12 year old kid anymore. The plus to him is he is in just about every late 90s insert that are so awesome looking....check these things out!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...CN6JwtLLy6mtVw
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Because my guy is cheap and he has cards in the era of where collecting was the most fun (late 90's-early 2000's.)
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote