Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 Years Later: Perkins & Green trade

I was thinking today about the Kendrick Perkins / Jeff Green trade (there were other smaller pieces, but those were the basic two big cogs). I think most people figured the Thunder made out really well on that one, especially after Green was out all of last season with his heart ailment. Then I started checking out stats on this season:

Perk: 50 games, 4.7ppg, 6.1rpg, 1.5apg, 1.1bpg, 25mpg, 48%fg, 65%ft
Green: 49 games, 10ppg, 3.2rpg, 1.0apg, .6bpg, 24mpg, 44%fg, 79%ft

Everybody and their dog knows that stats aren't everything. Perkins is a big time enforcer, banger, and good team player, and smartly defers a lot to his talented teammates. He does dirty work that doesn't show up on the box score. Green can be inconsistent at times but has many highlight reel dunks which can shift momentum in a game and has really helped give needed minutes in the Celtics injury-plagued season. In addition, I think 4 years into his career (compared to 9 for Perk), Green still has a higher ceiling and could produce well given a starting role.

I'm still not sure either way really. As a Celtics fan, I think if Perkins had stayed on last season they could have gone farther into the playoffs, but I think being able to sustain the team long-term with Green could be the better choice. Obviously in their current states the Thunder have a better chance of winning the title, but I think that's more a product of their entire team than either of these players individually. Meaning, if you switched the players back, I don't think either team becomes magically way better or worse. For people that watch a lot of the Celtics & Thunder games, what do you think?
Setzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

In my opinion Perkins is one of the worst starting centers in the NBA. Green is a very solid player, not that he is really missed by the Thunder, so I guess it wasn't too much of a loss for them, but the Celtics did end up with the better player.
EMD34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Celtics also got charlotte's second round pick which they used to get lee and they received clippers first which was Fab Melo
(Haiku)he's the hero blowout deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight.-BoxBreaker72
ronaldo943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i was actually shocked when this happened. celtics fans were obsessed with perkins and how good he was (i was always skeptical). then the trade happened and i was shocked as it seemed perkins was perceived as such a crucial guy.

i think okc did the right thing though. i wouldn't say either team did better so far.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Trading Perkins hurt the Celtic that year because they lost their size advantage against Miami that year and in a playoff series they couldn't really compete. Neither team really won or lost that trade, but the year it happened they would have had a better chance against Miami, since it was the first year with LeBron and Bosh and the chemistry wasn't fully there.
Kosmo Kards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Both players are essentially worthless and incredibly overpaid. It was addition by subtraction for the Thunder, though. As trading Green opened up minutes and a starting spot for Ibaka.

Perkins has been been improving a little lately. If he keeps it up, he'll go from complete abomination and one of the worst players in the league to borderline serviceable. I think Perkins has a little more upside as it could be, at least theoretically, possible that he's finally getting over his knee injuries as improvement in his lift has been noticeable recently. Green is just too much of a tweener and doesn't have any elite skills. He's an okay bench player, but he became a huge negative asset once he signed his extension with Boston.

Last edited by gamboooler; 02-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.
gamboooler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think perk just hasn't been the same since his knee injury in the 2010 finals..

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD34 View Post
In my opinion Perkins is one of the worst starting centers in the NBA. Green is a very solid player, not that he is really missed by the Thunder, so I guess it wasn't too much of a loss for them, but the Celtics did end up with the better player.
i agree, he is extremely overrated. he cant rebound worth a damn. him and ibaka both don't box out...just jump for the ball. which is why in the finals last year bosh was sneaking in and stealing all of them.
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
i agree, he is extremely overrated. he cant rebound worth a damn. him and ibaka both don't box out...just jump for the ball. which is why in the finals last year bosh was sneaking in and stealing all of them.
Perkins is there to bully and damage the best player on the opposing team.

He's a hitman

!
tristan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

In this case, I don't think you can compare them via stats and numbers to decide which is better. It depends on the needs of the team.

It was a good trade for both teams even up to this point.

If Green is in OKC:

1. He will not really get big minutes because he is at the position of Durant. (He can't be a PF too weak for that spot)
2. OKC will be weaker defensively and vulnerable inside (ala Miami)

If Perk in Boston:

1. Added defense and will ease KG's task to contain big men.
2. lesser offense for Green somehow ignites the offense of the celtics.

So with these reasons, I believe it was a good trade for both teams because they filled up their needs.
bigboytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

the change in the chemistry of the team was the problem that came from the trade not the actual stats. If the trade never would've happened the Celtics would've never gotten in the slump they were in and had a more physical play against the Heat last season in the playoffs.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Was a bad trade for Celts. They didn't need Green. Rondo lost his only buddy on the team and was devestated.

Killed Celts chances that year in playoffs. Green has been wortless for Celts so far. Got a massive contract, that no other team would have even came close to offering. Why Danny went long term at big dollars was mind boggling. When he would have had no offers at even half the price Celts paid.
Perk really hasn't done much either. But overall for past, Celts made a bad move. Green is playing better now that Rondo is out and ball is moving. So will see if he starts earning his cash. But can he play with Rondo when he comes back and dominates the ball.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

No one won this trade, maybe OKC if they win it all, but signing Perkins helped cost them Harden.

Green gets a mulligan because he is still coming back from surgery, but he shows glimpses of being fantastic. Who knows if he ever does it consistently.

Perkins hurt the 2010 team but he was gone after that year regardless.

IMO, no one won and no one lost.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Perkins is there to bully and damage the best player on the opposing team.

He's a hitman
only thing he does best is put a wanna be tough look - cant stand the guy
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think the Thunder made out the best in the trade, solely based on need. If you don't think he is an upgrade, you obviously did not watch year 1 of the Thunder when Green started at the 4 and Nenad Kristic at the 5 - sprinkle in a little Johan Petro, Chris Wilcox, Robert Swift and you see why the Thunder had to get someone like Perk. Anyone that solely focuses on the box score misses everything he brings to the table. Not only is he one of the best low post defenders in the league, I guarantee you that Durant & Westbrook both love him setting screens for them night in and night out. I was a fan of Jeff Green (the double deuce) but he just didn't fit into the rotation going forward.
rrljab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Perkins does a lot of things that someone with low basketball IQ (the casual observer) never sees. Obvisouly he is known for his defense, and his overall physical attitude, but he is an extremely valuable asset in the offense that OKC runs. He constantly sets the picks, that more often than not springs someone open for a shot. Literally, when he is in the game, the entire offense revolves around him setting up KD or Ibaka for the pick and pop. This is extremely important, because OKC is primarily a jump shooting team. So, 90% of the things that Perkins brings to the table are not seen in the stat line, or on Sportscenter highlights each night. He is a very valuable in what he offers to this squad, and is really only out of place against Miami. It is a matchup nightmare, and you will see him sitting more in games against Miami.

Last edited by Filthy; 02-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Filthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thunders- They needed another big man with Ibaka to bang with the western likes of pau gasol, bynum, duncan. Sending the inconsistent green gave more playing time to Harden. Thunders made the Finals last year. Good move for the thunders.

Celtics- They needed another wing player that could defend Lebron James. The east didn't have any bigs, so Garnett moved to the center spot. They also thought about building for the future with pieces like green.

Overall, I thought both teams did good on what they wanted to do. It was an even trade.
tingyangs6 is offline   Reply With Quote