Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Were all the greatest basketball figure ever to walk the face of the earth and known worldwide?

We all can be an a-hole, some more than others (i.e. Jordan.)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
Didn't Jordan join the NBA a couple of years older than LeBron did? LeBron was 18 and Jordan was 22? It took Jordan 6 years to win his first title and it took LeBron 10 years.
This......
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Heres the deal.

If MJ said he would pick Lebron over Kobe then this thread would be about how Lebron has surpassed Kobe eventhough he hasnt done half the things Kobe has done.

As MJ picked Kobe over Lebron, its obvious select few people must go into discredit mode to discredit anything said because if Lebron is NOT #1, something is wrong.

Round and round we go!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #54 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan8 View Post
We all have our own opinions.
uh he made the NBA what the NBA is today.

Without Jordan, theres probably no Lebron....

Lebron may have Jerry Rice as his childhood idol instead..
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

That's great. But what does that have to do with my post?
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #56 (permalink)

You said we all have our own opinions.

I'm just saying that Jordan was biggest celebrity on earth in the 90's...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You said we all have our own opinions.

I'm just saying that Jordan was biggest celebrity on earth in the 90's...
So his opinion is the final one? You're really going all over the place here.
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:

I didn't know MJ is the father of Lebron.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

I disagree. MJ was a posterchild for the NBA. Him and Lebron have been chosen by Nike and the NBA to be faces to promote the league globally. By doing so, marketing props these guys to become bigger than life. Its pretty obvious it works wonders judging by the godly following both get.

Ohh how I love marketing. Gets you to believe and buy things without thinking!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #60 (permalink)

When it comes to the closer and clutch comments: All I'll say is there has been quite a few times in the last 2 years where they showed replays where you could definitely tell Lebron did NOT want to take the last shot. I think that was due to the few times he missed a few game winners. Kobe wins in that debate because he has always had and always does want the last shot and has delivered in his career in the clutch.

It's hard to compare Lebron to anyone right now, wait until he's 33-34 then do it. I mean MJ 6 rings, Kobe 5 rings, Lebron 1 ring so far, give it time, then compare.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I disagree. MJ was a posterchild for the NBA. Him and Lebron have been chosen by Nike and the NBA to be faces to promote the league globally. By doing so, marketing props these guys to become bigger than life. Its pretty obvious it works wonders judging by the godly following both get.

Who made Nike???

lol Comeon.

Theres no Nike without Jordan..
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
I didn't know MJ is the father of Lebron.
Who was Lebrons Icon growing up? Who did he want to be?

I guess he wanted to be his dad???
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Who made Nike???

lol Comeon.

Theres no Nike without Jordan..
What? You are kidding right? NIke has been around much longer than MJ in the league. The NBA was around much longer than MJ entering the league. Infact....LIfe existed before Michael Jordan was born. I know its hard to believe but there was a world full of people, sports full of atheletes before Michael Jordan came to stardom. People still bought shoes, people still watched games and they broadcastes stats and highlight reels prior to Michael Jordan coming to the NBA.

Im telling you straight up!! Life existed before MJ. Im telling you Nike, NBA and all sorts of products, sports, shows and stars existed before Michael Jordan. Just ask your parents!! It didnt start with Michael Jordan.

Quote:
The company was founded on January 25, 1964 as Blue Ribbon Sports by Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight,[1] and officially became Nike, Inc. on May 30, 1978. The company takes its name from Nike (Greek Νίκη, pronounced [nǐːkɛː]), the Greek goddess of victory. Nike markets its products under its own brand, as well as Nike Golf, Nike Pro, Nike+, Air Jordan, Nike Skateboarding, and subsidiaries including Cole Haan, Hurley International, Umbro and Converse. Nike also owned Bauer Hockey (later renamed Nike Bauer) between 1995 and 2008.[5] In addition to manufacturing sportswear and equipment, the company operates retail stores under the Niketown name. Nike sponsors many high-profile athletes and sports teams around the world, with the highly recognized trademarks of "Just Do It" and the Swoosh logo.
Nike and the NBA knew exactly how to market MJ to his status. It worked out both ways. For knight it worked out much better than it did for MJ. Just check out the difference in personal assets. Yes its true there are much more wealthier people in the world than MJ. By a mile to say the least!

MJ did not create Nike to premier status. Just like Lebron didnt create the brand for Sprite. Both existed prior.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #64 (permalink)

So your telling me that Jordan didn't take Nike into the #1 show company in the world?

I think these had a large amount of responsibility why Nike became so big.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:

According to ESPN 30/30 Bo Jackson made Nike.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
So your telling me that Jordan didn't take Nike into the #1 show company in the world?

I think these had a large amount of responsibility why Nike became so big.

Bo Jackson and his "Bo knows" campaign made nike number 1
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
What? You are kidding right? NIke has been around much longer than MJ in the league. The NBA was around much longer than MJ entering the league. Infact....LIfe existed before Michael Jordan was born. I know its hard to believe but there was a world full of people, sports full of atheletes before Michael Jordan came to stardom. People still bought shoes, people still watched games and they broadcastes stats and highlight reels prior to Michael Jordan coming to the NBA.

Im telling you straight up!! Life existed before MJ. Im telling you Nike, NBA and all sorts of products, sports, shows and stars existed before Michael Jordan. Just ask your parents!! It didnt start with Michael Jordan.

Nike and the NBA knew exactly how to market MJ to his status. It worked out both ways. For knight it worked out much better than it did for MJ. Just check out the difference in personal assets. Yes its true there are much more wealthier people in the world than MJ. By a mile to say the least!

MJ did not create Nike to premier status. Just like Lebron didnt create the brand for Sprite. Both existed prior.
You have to admit that Jordan did propel Nike far past the other competition when they signed him to that contract (funny when nike signed him adidas quickly signed ewing). And yes there was others before Jordan (example: Converse anyone?) it was just that Jordan came at a time when the NBA was blooming fan wise.

Its also worth to note that the concept of the air Jordans was just much more sellable then converse in both look and the idea that having those shoes would make you like mike. I'm also glad someone here understands the concept of athletic global marketing.
AlphaNOmega06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

You take a look at Nikes assets and tell me how Air Jordans are where Nike made 100% of their revenues. If you can provide a legit link to the lifeline of Nike based on one Brand of shoes, ill give up.

I assure you Nike was doing well before and after MJ and Bo Jackson. I assure you Nike would still be in business if MJ and BO didnt come along. Did they help Nike spring? For sure. But not a chance in hell they were the life line of Nike
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
You take a look at Nikes assets and tell me how Air Jordans are where Nike made 100% of their revenues. If you can provide a legit link to the lifeline of Nike based on one Brand of shoes, ill give up.

I assure you Nike was doing well before and after MJ and Bo Jackson. I assure you Nike would still be in business if MJ and BO didnt come along. Did they help Nike spring? For sure. But not a chance in hell they were the life line of Nike
Ok what about the NBA as a whole?

I guess Jordan had nothing to do with that either?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:

Again according to ESPN 30/30 Nike was 2nd or 3rd in the shoe business behind Reebok and ?. When they released the cross trainer shoe (which is bigger then any Jordan shoe ever, basically invented the cross training shoes we see today) it crushed everyone. That shoe was marketed to everyone, runnning, football, hockey, baseball, whatever...That is why the Bo Knows campaign was so huge.

Watch the ESPN 30/30 on Bo Jackson...the cross training shoe was huge for Nike.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ok what about the NBA as a whole?

I guess Jordan had nothing to do with that either?
For sure MJ was the posterchild of the NBA. I already said that. It was a perfect storm. MJ with a mega Nike deal. MJ was the posterchild of the NBA. NO better time than to head on the journey to mass market the NBA globally. This was the perfect timing. They both helped one another. It happend again in 2003 and 2005. Lebron came into the league and the journey started again. In 2005 Crosby came into the league and did it for hockey. Sports is known to recycle on average a decade with a "Prodigal son" who becomes the new generation hero. THis is marketing 101. To grab the bulls by the horn and ride the hype and expoit it to the top!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt16 View Post
Again according to ESPN 30/30 Nike was 2nd or 3rd in the shoe business behind Reebok and ?. When they released the cross trainer shoe (which is bigger then any Jordan shoe ever, basically invented the cross training shoes we see today) it crushed everyone. That shoe was marketed to everyone, runnning, football, hockey, baseball, whatever...That is why the Bo Knows campaign was so huge.

Watch the ESPN 30/30 on Bo Jackson...the cross training shoe was huge for Nike.
Not disagreeing that Bo's hype didnt help Nike. It sure did. Just a bit concerning to think that people focus 100% of nikes revenues coming from shoes and basketball in general. People tend to forget that Nike is embedded in all sports, aerospace and clothing as well.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Who was Lebrons Icon growing up? Who did he want to be?

I guess he wanted to be his dad???
There was Magic before MJ. There were many HOFs that Lebron can idolize. It is not just MJ.... seriously... you sound like Lebron would not know about basketball if not MJ.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #73 (permalink)

good to know Jordan has his head on straight. I probably shoulda admitted this last year but this is the first year I feel totally comfortbale saying Lebron is the best player in the NBA, a step above durant. But I feel like we may be saying Durant is the best in about 2 years. But as for his career, its not even close, maybe time will change that but Kobe has just had a better career so far.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
There was Magic before MJ. There were many HOFs that Lebron can idolize. It is not just MJ.... seriously... you sound like Lebron would not know about basketball if not MJ.
Are you kidding me?

Seems like you've been living in a box.

I just watched ESPN last night when they interviewed Lebron about Jordan.

Seemed like a childhood man crush to me.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

Seems like you've been living in a box.

I just watched ESPN last night when they interviewed Lebron about Jordan.

Seemed like a childhood man crush to me.
Lebron did idolize MJ growing up. He has said so in interviews. That coupled with the fact that he wore 23 throughout his career and signed his auto to match "23" in sig just like MJ are just examples of him mimicking his idol.

Some people are just in denial.