Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
And you are missing my point. My opinion on every pre requisite should be level. That if a re requisite exists, it must be met. Thats all!~!!

If I need med school and a pass on an exam to become X, I must do it to become X.

If the NBA requires you to spend a few years in college prior to being able to be drafted, then players must meet that requirement. No budding, no by passing or finding a loophole that lets you out of the guidelines. Thats all im saying.

I wish I could practice law without meeting the requirements!! Id be rich!!
Why would you keep thinking NBA players need to have college degree or high GPA? They are playing basketball, not getting some donkey office work done. Heck, the top companies in US would only hire people with GPA 3.8+ from top schools. I'm sure that is not the same level of the requirement that you need to find the McDonald job.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #102 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
youre totally off on this one. athletes do meet the requirements, thats why they are playing professional sports. no one is being a homer..... should a doctor have to be able to shoot 40% from the 3 pt line to get his license? athletes dedicate their life in a different way to reach their goal, just like any professional does in "normal" jobs. thats as simple as it can get..... its not fair saying an athlete must meet educational requirments when others do not have to meet an athletic requirement.
I never said they werent. My post said they requirements should be tougher than they are. Plus you and I both know how certain sports stars make college!! Its not on their smarts! Thats not how sports programs are funded!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #103 (permalink)

why should the requirements be tougher?
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #104 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
why should the requirements be tougher?
Why not?

Just like everything else out there, competition divides the best from the worst!! Progessive nature has led us to be better developed and enhanced it all around us.

Asking for 4 full years in college is not much. Especially since these guys are getting in on a free dime and great scores on SATs LOL.

Just my take on it. If the NBA requires you only to spend half that time, so be it. But those are the guidelines that must be followed.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #105 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

I'm still waiting on the example of a college graduate in the exact same situation as Allen Iverson. Blew 200 million, and looking for a job, and can't find one.

Same age as Kobe/Nash/Ray Allen....
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #106 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
I'm still waiting on the example of a college graduate in the exact same situation as Allen Iverson. Blew 200 million, and looking for a job, and can't find one.

Antoine Walker, Latrell Sprewell and Derek Coleman.

Remember these guys got into college because they were smart, not because of a free pass for playing ball!! lol
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #107 (permalink)

I said a College Graduate.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:

My point was that there are many very intelligent college graduates out there right now in debt, broke, looking for a job just like Iverson.

People of all education levels blow money and file for bankruptcy on a regular basis.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac213up View Post
My point was that there are many very intelligent college graduates out there right now in debt, broke, looking for a job just like Iverson.

People of all education levels blow money and file for bankruptcy on a regular basis.
Are we not talking professional athletes here?

Just because you turn professional at 18 playing basketball doesn't mean your a professional.

College education is important for everyone.

Hell even Vince Young is going back to college to finish his degree..
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Are we not talking professional athletes here?

Just because you turn professional at 18 playing basketball doesn't mean your a professional.

College education is important for everyone.

Hell even Vince Young is going back to college to finish his degree..
College education is important for those that are interested in being educated. Should there be a standard for all sports? Nascar, tennis, baseball, golf, ect???
Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac213up View Post
College education is important for those that are interested in being educated.
lol!!!!

Ok. Keep telling yourself that.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
You take a look at Nikes assets and tell me how Air Jordans are where Nike made 100% of their revenues. If you can provide a legit link to the lifeline of Nike based on one Brand of shoes, ill give up.

I assure you Nike was doing well before and after MJ and Bo Jackson. I assure you Nike would still be in business if MJ and BO didnt come along. Did they help Nike spring? For sure. But not a chance in hell they were the life line of Nike
Y! SPORTS

The Jordan Brand, a division of Nike, is responsible for the vast majority of MJís earnings. Jordan partnered with Nike after being drafted by the Bulls out of North Carolina in 1984. The original five-year deal was worth $500,000 annually, plus royalties. The terms of Jordanís current deal with Nike are a closely guarded secret, but royalties now generate more than $60 million annually for MJ, according to sources.

Nearly 30 years later, the brand is still a marketing juggernaut. It controlled 58 percent of the basketball shoe market in 2012, according to research firm SportsOneSource. The Jordan Brandís parent Nike was second with a 34-percent share, while Adidas (5.5), Reebok (1.6) and Under Armour (0.6) divvied up the leftovers.
pat10021839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats the biggest problem with debating with homers. They selectively choose the best years to compare a player to another player with their worst years. Its like cherry picking stats to make sure your agenda is equal to what you try and prove. Thats not debating. Thats "coke bottling" to get what you want!!

THere is no sense it debating when people look at things with no regard to time, span of journey and subjective matters. The new generation of self entitlement maintains strong and true "I WANT IT AND WANT IT NOW, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS"
I have no idea what you are talking about but if you are thinking I'm a homer I'm a Knicks fan, nobody beat up NY more than Jordan. I have seen both Lebron and Kobe destroy the Knicks until they were formidable in the past year or so.

There really isn't any cherry picking in my argument, maybe you were referring to someone elses. If you ask someone who is better they state their opinion and try to support it with facts. Kobe has played 7 years more and has more things to support it with, maybe after 17 years Lebron will have as much or more, but right now Kobe has a 4 more titles, 2 scoring titles, 14 All NBA teams 12 All NBA defense teams, and 81 point game, 2 finals MVPs and a killer instinct I haven't seen since Jordan. Take almost any years and anything you want, i'd take Kobe over Jordan overall. Only in the last year or two has the torch been passed. If you think my argument is "coke bottled" I say ahahahahahaha.

Now if you are agreeing with me and saying others just want the new flavor of the minute, and are only thinking whats hot right now and not factoring in these acheivements... then I say you are a smart man!

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!

Last edited by dasiegel; 02-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #114 (permalink)

Pick Kobe or Lebron. Doesn't matter, Michael is still above them both : )
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #115 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat10021839 View Post
Y! SPORTS

The Jordan Brand, a division of Nike, is responsible for the vast majority of MJ’s earnings. Jordan partnered with Nike after being drafted by the Bulls out of North Carolina in 1984. The original five-year deal was worth $500,000 annually, plus royalties. The terms of Jordan’s current deal with Nike are a closely guarded secret, but royalties now generate more than $60 million annually for MJ, according to sources.

Nearly 30 years later, the brand is still a marketing juggernaut. It controlled 58 percent of the basketball shoe market in 2012, according to research firm SportsOneSource. The Jordan Brand’s parent Nike was second with a 34-percent share, while Adidas (5.5), Reebok (1.6) and Under Armour (0.6) divvied up the leftovers.

Nike made approxmately $24 billion in revenues for their fiscal 2012. Anyone here suggesting that that revenue is solely? majority? based on MJ related items made by Nike?

While the Nike revenue is a majority of Mjs revenues, I doubt MJs branding is a majority of Nikes total revenues.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #116 (permalink)

I would take Lebron now hands down just because he is starting to develope a consistent jumper, can drive when ever he wants and is a less selfish teammate and skilled passer. If i was gonna build a team I would want the guy who gets others involved. Nothing against Kobe he may be the best scorer of the modern era right there with Jordan
ccrab1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #117 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about but if you are thinking I'm a homer I'm a Knicks fan, nobody beat up NY more than Jordan. I have seen both Lebron and Kobe destroy the Knicks until they were formidable in the past year or so.

There really isn't any cherry picking in my argument, maybe you were referring to someone elses. If you ask someone who is better they state their opinion and try to support it with facts. Kobe has played 7 years more and has more things to support it with, maybe after 17 years Lebron will have as much or more, but right now Kobe has a 4 more titles, 2 scoring titles, 14 All NBA teams 12 All NBA defense teams, and 81 point game, 2 finals MVPs and a killer instinct I haven't seen since Jordan. Take almost any years and anything you want, i'd take Kobe over Jordan overall. Only in the last year or two has the torch been passed. If you think my argument is "coke bottled" I say ahahahahahaha.

Now if you are agreeing with me and saying others just want the new flavor of the minute, and are only thinking whats hot right now and not factoring in these acheivements... then I say you are a smart man!

Nope. I was just complementing with the rational use of "comparing careers once done" as a fair comparison than cherry picking certain years to compare two players. Thats all that was!! no knock, but a compliment.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope. I was just complementing with the rational use of "comparing careers once done" as a fair comparison than cherry picking certain years to compare two players. Thats all that was!! no knock, but a compliment.
ahhhhh smart man then, lol!

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #119 (permalink)

Mj also runs the bobcats... How well has he evaluated the talent on the bobcats roster?
wadeboshiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #120 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
here comes the put words in your mouth posts.

Typical.
oj makin #@#@#@#@ up again, you would figure that the suspension would at least make him think about the crap he writes. Apparently not.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #121 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Why not?

Just like everything else out there, competition divides the best from the worst!! Progessive nature has led us to be better developed and enhanced it all around us.

Asking for 4 full years in college is not much. Especially since these guys are getting in on a free dime and great scores on SATs LOL.

Just my take on it. If the NBA requires you only to spend half that time, so be it. But those are the guidelines that must be followed.
It's easy to say this when you don't have millions of dollars riding on those 4 years. You won't make anywhere near that in your entire lifetime, so it is easy for you to say, hey man work for free for 4 years and hope you don't get hurt.

It's always the people who don't have millions of dollars on the line saying stuff like, they should go for 4 years.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #122 (permalink)
Banned

By the way, Lebron doesn't care what Jordan thinks, but yet there's an espn article about him saying it's unfair to judge on titles haha

Lebron the hypocrite!
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #123 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
By the way, Lebron doesn't care what Jordan thinks, but yet there's an espn article about him saying it's unfair to judge on titles haha

Lebron the hypocrite!
Lebron contradicts himself so much. I dont care but I do care. I dont care about money but I should be highest paid player. LOL. Sounds like a certain someone here. I said it, wait I didnt say it. No, thats not what im saying.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #124 (permalink)
Banned

I'm done with this debate, it's pointless
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #125 (permalink)
Banned

But I just think Kobe's career work speaks volumes. Let Lebron finish his career before we come to a conclusion because if both their careers ended today it would be Kobe and it's not even close