Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default not a big kobe fan...but I picked this up today

elee712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

It still kills me to know I had like 3-4 of these when I was a kid that I traded to the LCS for practically nothing : / I instead opted to keep the 2 NBA @50 foils because I thought they were cooler and more valuable. Great pick up!
Basketball: HOFers
wadedaniel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Why did you pick up such an expensive card if you are not a fan?
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. Ive always wanted to get one of these for my collection for years. Too bad i didnt know you back then...couldve saved me a good chunk of change
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee712 View Post
Thanks. Ive always wanted to get one of these for my collection for years. Too bad i didnt know you back then...couldve saved me a good chunk of change
I still have nightmares!! That rookie class was the pinnacle of my youth collecting. When I really started to crack big amounts if wax.
Basketball: HOFers
wadedaniel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I guess it was a good opportunity..and one card i thought would be a good investment.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice card, especially the centering
hairyangryfella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haha, good to know it didn't go to a Kobe fan. Awesome card, though.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/Kingofkings1281/
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

whats that worth??
what would the MJ one be worth?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

That is one of the cards(regardless if you are a Kobe collector or not) I think every basketball card collector should have in their collection!
Hallco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

soooo let me get this straight, over 2k card for a player you are not really a fan of.....riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.
arnold84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Im more of a fan of teams rather than individual players. Im a laker hater and players on the lakers i dont care for as a result. I do respect kobe as a great player tho.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Only one thing comes to mind....

DAMN!

Damn! Montage - YouTube

You have earned the coveted youtube link! ^^^^ Congratulations!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Pretty nice
Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedaniel84 View Post
It still kills me to know I had like 3-4 of these when I was a kid that I traded to the LCS for practically nothing : / I instead opted to keep the 2 NBA @50 foils because I thought they were cooler and more valuable. Great pick up!
Are you sure? These Refractors were really tough pulls, and the price of boxes wasn't exactly cheap at the time.
Wings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

ahhh PWCC auction...
strider_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_boi View Post
ahhh PWCC auction...
So some of them indeed got paid, like this one.

PLMK if you want to sell cards which I might need. Thx!
spinotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

I didnt win the auction but the one who did had one feedback and didnt pay.
Negotiated after the auction
Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

I see. Hope you don't pay anywhere close to 7k for this POP 75 card. POP 11 BGS 10 only sold for 15k very recently, which is also very high considering 9.5 centering, the most important aspect of condition.

At least, it's an old label graded in 05, and maybe a BGS 11 in today's standard. Anyway. Glad to see quality Kobe pickups even not from a fan.

PLMK if you want to sell cards which I might need. Thx!
spinotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Does PWCC do this to their auctions so they don't have to pay FVFs on their super-high end sales?

I mean, I hear so many stories about high-end auctions ending to non-paying ebay members and then the card is sold outside of eBay.

I find it very odd that PWCC would even allow a 0 or 1 FB bidder on a $6,000 auction?! ... fishy...

And then something like this there are (6) ... yes SIX retractions of at least $15,000 ?! :

eBay.com Item Bid History

Reasons for retractions on two of them are "Internal Review" and "Cancelled by PWCC"

So tell me ... why couldn't the ebay member cancel their own bid? And what's "Internal Review" ...

And then you have bidders like this on multiple auctions:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=350706209201&aid=6***a&eu=QQf1aJnkbN11I33x43HDh7U0ToUaaJ0%2B&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink

42% bids with PWCC

Bid on things like a Babe Ruth card for $8,000 ... a George Bush card for $6,200

I'd never buy a card being sold at a PWCC auction ... Whether they know/care or not ... their auctions are definitely tampered with and shilled. I guess that's why people consign with them, why not get the most for your cards even if it may not be done 100% legit!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Not close but i wouldnt say i got a steal either but if i overpaid or underpaid by a few hundred, its ok because like hallco said, its a card i wanted to own as a basketball fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinotron View Post
I see. Hope you don't pay anywhere close to 7k for this POP 75 card. POP 11 BGS 10 only sold for 15k very recently, which is also very high considering 9.5 centering, the most important aspect of condition.

At least, it's an old label graded in 05, and maybe a BGS 11 in today's standard. Anyway. Glad to see quality Kobe pickups even not from a fan.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Not sure but i just bid what im willing to pay for something if shilled or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Does PWCC do this to their auctions so they don't have to pay FVFs on their super-high end sales?

I mean, I hear so many stories about high-end auctions ending to non-paying ebay members and then the card is sold outside of eBay.

I find it very odd that PWCC would even allow a 0 or 1 FB bidder on a $6,000 auction?! ... fishy...

And then something like this there are (6) ... yes SIX retractions of at least $15,000 ?! :

eBay.com Item Bid History

Reasons for retractions on two of them are "Internal Review" and "Cancelled by PWCC"

So tell me ... why couldn't the ebay member cancel their own bid? And what's "Internal Review" ...

And then you have bidders like this on multiple auctions:

Bidding Details

42% bids with PWCC

Bid on things like a Babe Ruth card for $8,000 ... a George Bush card for $6,200

I'd never buy a card being sold at a PWCC auction ... Whether they know/care or not ... their auctions are definitely tampered with and shilled. I guess that's why people consign with them, why not get the most for your cards even if it may not be done 100% legit!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee712 View Post
Not sure but i just bid what im willing to pay for something if shilled or not.
I know what you mean. It's unfortunate because a lot of times people would be able to acquire cards for much better prices if they weren't shilled and falsely bid up.

Of course I have prices I'm willing to pay for items, but if a seller is clearly pumping up auctions and something like a last minute shill bid causes me to pay a few hundred bucks extra just because of a seller's greed ... then I have a problem with that no matter if I was willing to pay for the card or not.

Anyways, great looking card. One of the most iconic basketball cards ever, and a great keeper for life ... I don't see something like that ever losing value. I mean you have MJ/Lebron/Kobe in a league of their own over the past few decades ... players like them don't come around too often! (Maybe Durant too )
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hello All,

We rarely involve ourselves in the message boards because I feel strongly the boards should be allowed to discuss collector topics free from seller involvement. That said, when issues concerning improper behavior are discussed, I feel obligated to weigh in on the matter.

No doubt the card in question was indeed purchased by a bad buyer. This does not suggest that PWCC was in any way involved in that bid being placed. PWCC has the single highest standards against bid manipulation on eBay; in fact, we are working very close with eBay Trust & Safety these days to improve both our and eBay's ability to police improper activity.

The accusation that our auctions are manipulated is completely false and without merit. Anyone who feels they have evidence to the contrary is encouraged to contact us directly. Please post any evidence on this board for everyone to see. We have nothing to hide would actually appreciate the extra oversight should anything questionable be sighted.

Some specific comments:
1) Yes, we absolutely have buyers who may place 50% or more of their bids with us. After 15 years to selling in the hobby we have built long standing relationships with some buyers. I believe we have some buyers who please nearly all their eBay bids with PWCC.
2) Yes, the 1969 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 10 in our recent auction had 6 bid retractions. We are not at pleased with this level of insincere participation and we have eBay specifically investigating this auction with their Trust and Safety. The good news is that the top three bidders are long standing buyers of ours so the bid retractions did not affect the sale price. Even still, I believe this level of bid retraction will be a thing of the past in coming months due to the measures we're taking with eBay Trust & Safety.
3) The 1996 Refractor Kobe discussed in this post was won by a 1 feedback buyer; this same idiot also bid on and won a 1997 Rubies MJ in a BGS 9.5. These two cards were consigned by different collectors with no connection to one another so it’s not reasonable to suggest the consignor was somehow to blame for this bidder. As I’ve argued in the past, there is virtually no value in us manipulating the bid either… we earn only 3-5% of the sale after paying eBay/PayPal so the increasing the bid benefits us very little and would only increase the likelihood that we’d be stuck with items from our consignors, etc. It’s illogical.
4) We are the only auction house I’m aware of that actually polices its auctions and restricts insincere bidding from consignors or anyone else. Our policy is clearly stated at the bottom of every eBay item page. Any bidders or consignors found to be manipulating the bid are blocked from our company and the user IDs are reported to eBay (often resulting in those IDs becoming unregistered).

Bottom line, nobody cares more about the integrity of our auctions than us. Auction integrity is perhaps the most important aspect of our brand and we're doing everything possible to ensure that our auctions are the safest most regulated venue on the internet.

Good luck to everyone with their future collecting efforts.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions
brent@pwccauctions.com
510-725-7853
PWCC Auctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

It's funny how these type of things always seem to accur with majority of PWCC auctions isn't it LOL
Hoopdreams69 is offline   Reply With Quote