Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default LeBron Topps Chrome RC (PRICE INCREASE!)

I have noticed that LeBron Topps Chrome rookies have been selling extremely well lately. They seemed to have increased significantly since the start of the season, the last auction for a PSA 10 went for $300..... these cards were in the $175-$190 range a couple of months ago.....
Dwade Collector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

ive been watching too, his raw chrome rcs have fetched from 70-90, where as it was fetching 45-60 at the beginning of season and offseason
ivecenanuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

lebron had been dominating the league for years, and hes getting even better, his stuff should go up.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jef

how high do people see these getting?

obivously they wont touch kobe due to kobe not having auto rcs and also jsut the mythical nature of the 96-97 chrome set, but could these become $500 cards?

i want to stock up on lebron and am deciding on getting either an autograph OR 9.5s of bowman and topps chrome for about the same money id spend on an auto.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

I sold my PSA 10 for $230 (which was the average of the last 5 sales at the time) - and now that seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer - and yet it was $50 more then I originally paid.

I think the Chrome, especially graded, is a good alternative to one of the autographed rookies that not everyone can afford. Not everyone wants to spend $750 - but most people will spend $250 (for graded that is) for the best player on the planet.

I still think (and I'm biased) that his RC Autos are a good buy at current prices. LeBron SPA for $700-$800? SPX for $800-$900? Those just seem like good values to me if you have the funds where you invest in high end stuff.

Those cards are going to, especially with another title, end up in PC's for a while.

I almost impluse bought another SPA RC Auto the other day for $750 - and $750 should never be an "impluse" - but I just see alot of room to grow Haha.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jef

that is my connundrum (spelling?).

my budget allows for a lower end lebron on card, but i wouldnt mind shilling out for 9.5 bowman chrome and topps chrome rcs. i think the resale potential on the RCs would stay stronger in coming years - leaning that way.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got these 3 badboys in the PC, always looking to add more but these have gone up even more in demand over this past season. Believe it or not!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i can see these reaching 150 for a raw one, a few has ended for 120 plus, im trying to stock up on some chrome rcs before it goes really high, got 4 already and working on the 5th one
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Now you guys are making me mad I sold my PSA 10 Chrome. Haha.

Although I used that $230 to offset some of the cost for this bad boy:

asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

LeBron is proving that he is clutch lately. He is a mismatch for almost everybody. His improved 3-point shot really puts the defender in a bad position.

Glad I pulled my bowman chrome and topps chrome rc's back in the day and got them both graded: BGS 9.5 for each. I even put together a hand collated set of Topps Chrome that is increasing in value.
The_Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I sold my PSA 10 for $230 (which was the average of the last 5 sales at the time) - and now that seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer - and yet it was $50 more then I originally paid.

I think the Chrome, especially graded, is a good alternative to one of the autographed rookies that not everyone can afford. Not everyone wants to spend $750 - but most people will spend $250 (for graded that is) for the best player on the planet.

I still think (and I'm biased) that his RC Autos are a good buy at current prices. LeBron SPA for $700-$800? SPX for $800-$900? Those just seem like good values to me if you have the funds where you invest in high end stuff.

Those cards are going to, especially with another title, end up in PC's for a while.

I almost impluse bought another SPA RC Auto the other day for $750 - and $750 should never be an "impluse" - but I just see alot of room to grow Haha.
The reason why the Chrome rookies are doing so well is because they are affordable at their price range for majority of collectors. Shelling out less than $100 for the best player in the league currently isnt taking out a 2nd mortgage.

The same cant be said for his auto rookies. Shelling out $800 for majority of the hobbyist out there is stretching their budget and threshold.

Same thing is happening to Kyrie rookies. $25 for a Prizm is affordable. $500 auto version is not within reach for most collectors on a budget.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
The reason why the Chrome rookies are doing so well is because they are affordable at their price range for majority of collectors. Shelling out less than $100 for the best player in the league currently isnt taking out a 2nd mortgage.

The same cant be said for his auto rookies. Shelling out $800 for majority of the hobbyist out there is stretching their budget and threshold.

Same thing is happening to Kyrie rookies. $25 for a Prizm is affordable. $500 auto version is not within reach for most collectors on a budget.
Well said and great point!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I picked up my PSA 10 before the start of the season for 145. Thought the first few over 200 were an anomaly, now they're the norm. Pretty happy with the purchase, haha.
snomelcrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jef

just picked up a 9.5 of this card.

where does everyone envision the ceiling for this card being? i know things are different from the Kobe as far as this NOT being the best Lebron RC (like it was for kobe), but could this one day be a $300-400 card in a BGS 9.5/PSA 10 holder?

I got mine for around $190, which was a lot but i didnt want to deal with auctions and i trusted the seller (just in case anyone was curious).

Also, i didn't get it as a money-making invesment - i just didnt have any nice Lebron cards and that hole in my collection was becoming more and more glaring. that said, this one DOES seem to have at least some possible upside.

tempted to now go for the Bowman Chrome 9.5s of Lebron and Durant.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

my investments

Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Sweet i haven't looked at the PSA 10 ones lately but it should be more than the $200 i gave for this one
Collecting: Raimel Tapia, Drew Brees
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Do you see more growth in the base chromes or refractor versions?
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jef

personally i think both could grow, but due to the logic that was stated perfectly above, i think the base has more growth potential %wise.

Since March 10th, 3 Lebron base 9.5s have sold for $180, $199, and $199.
There is one that has sold for far more, but its subs have it .5 away from a 10, so I chose to leave that one out.

lebron topps chrome bgs| eBay

Recently, the 9.5 refractor sales have been in the $425-450ish range.

lebron topps chrome refractor bgs | eBay

Lets say the base doubles. A collector would still be able to get possibly the best unsigned lebron RC for less than $400.

If the refrator doubles, however, I would think that it would be too dangerously close to the range of some of the auto RCs. Obviously Exquisite is in a class by itself, but if the Refractor doubles then suddenly it is in the same general ballpark as a raw SP Authentic or SPx rc auto.

I love Chrome and I love Chrome Refractor RCs, but I'm taking one of the true RC autos over a refractor 9.5 everytime.

that said, if we are in a position where the Chrome cards have doubled, the others have probably become pricier as well and this is a moot point. i would still stand by the fact, however, that there are a lot more collectors who will fight over a card and get it up to $400 than there are collectors who will fight over a modern NON auto, non-numbered card enough to get it up to $800.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

I was debating this as i recently bought a black refractor and base refractor instead of just a bunch of centered base rcs... i guess time will tell.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Jef

cannot go wrong with those and i bet they are awesome looking.

like i said, if we are in a situation where the chrome stuff has doubled then the other stuff has likely exploded even more as well.

also - ha - if those cards go up a MERE $100-200 each that is still pretty damn good for you.

i was going to spend money on a lebron auto, but this rookie stuff is too tempting to pass up. nice looking cards, and while i dont intend to sell i know that they will be in high demand in case im ever in a bind and need some cash.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Does anyone see the Lebron chrome RC going higher than it is now if the Heat win the NBA championship, or does the current going price already assume that Lebron wins the title again this year?
Wolfpack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

I dont see why lebrons chromes cant hit kobe chrome prices... especially if the heat break the record and win another title.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Actually the black refractor has not gone up. It has been around $500 (BGS 9) for a long time now.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

I know. I just got mine so im hoping it will rise at least a little bit.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Greatest player on the planet!!! Beyond everybody else by far
Nyfancam01 is online now   Reply With Quote