Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone opening much Elite?

I've not seen much Elite busted here (in comparison to other new releases) and since it went up on eBay, the guys that I'm looking at singles for have really dried up.

Is this a hangover from Prizm which is still the most popular set of the season? Elite has some very nice cards in it and I'm not sure what this says about people's interest in future sets this season.

Wow! What a luck!
EvanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jin

It could be because of the Prizm hangover, you're right. But there's just also absolutely nothing exciting about the product. No big chasers, sticker autos, same old rookie and 2nd year autos.. Bleh.

I've been keeping up w/ the release of NT baseball and it's been making me depressed. Hopefully Panini produces the same quality with NT basketball.

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm i thought Ebay is loaded with singles from this product. Already picked up the Autos i need for my PC. I was considering buy a box or 2, but decided not to since all i want is 4-5 cards from the full list anyways.
Rabie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did 4 cases of it and it is probably going to be the first basketball break that i did this year that im going to lose money. Too many no name autos in this. I only got 1 kyrie auto in 4 cases. Still may be able to turn a profit but its going to take some time to get rid of anything. Have to switch from auctions now to BIN/BO's because the bidders just arent there for the lower tiered autos.

I hope NT is big for basketball this year since i should have a big allocation from my distributor since people havent been buying a ton of bball from them.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

What type of prices are you seeing for NT basketball on the pre-sales and are you still able to place orders?

I'm going to check the sell sheets for it and maybe hold off on any boxes until then.

The guy that I'm after for rookie cards has had 5-6 total auctions since Elite released which is odd considering a /599 print run for the base.

This season's releases make a strong case for 2-3 licensed mfgs with a limit of 6 sets annually per licensee.

Wow! What a luck!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanD View Post
What type of prices are you seeing for NT basketball on the pre-sales and are you still able to place orders?

I'm going to check the sell sheets for it and maybe hold off on any boxes until then.

The guy that I'm after for rookie cards has had 5-6 total auctions since Elite released which is odd considering a /599 print run for the base.

This season's releases make a strong case for 2-3 licensed mfgs with a limit of 6 sets annually per licensee.

They haven't started taking pre-orders on NT basketball yet, or at least my distributor hasn't. In fact, i don't know if they have actually "technically" announced NT for basketball yet.

I would imagine it's going to be around the $400 price range per box.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Either people are not opening the boxes OR Panini rc autos are so cheap that people don't even bother to put on ebay. Sometimes, it is hard to put a $3 auto on ebay. It might as well just keep it yourself.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Either people are not opening the boxes OR Panini rc autos are so cheap that people don't even bother to put on ebay. Sometimes, it is hard to put a $3 auto on ebay. It might as well just keep it yourself.
There are ALOT of $3 auto's in this product. Even some of the on-card insert auto's are like $5 auto's. My best strategy right now is to price some of the $3 auto's a little bit higher on BIN/BO and wait out the current push of auto's from this product to dry out. Did that with some of my similar Threads auto's earlier in the year and that worked out well with some of the lesser auto's.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuelle21 View Post
There are ALOT of $3 auto's in this product. Even some of the on-card insert auto's are like $5 auto's. My best strategy right now is to price some of the $3 auto's a little bit higher on BIN/BO and wait out the current push of auto's from this product to dry out. Did that with some of my similar Threads auto's earlier in the year and that worked out well with some of the lesser auto's.
Yeah, you have to sell since you broke that many cases. For others (who only buy 1 box), it is really pointless to put $3 auto on ebay and get like $20 back after all cards sold at this time. Perhaps, people are thinking to keep the $3 auto around so that it may turn into next linsanity.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, you have to sell since you broke that many cases. For others (who only buy 1 box), it is really pointless to put $3 auto on ebay and get like $20 back after all cards sold at this time. Perhaps, people are thinking to keep the $3 auto around so that it may turn into next linsanity.
It's interesting how you put that. We're multiple generations of collecting changes in since eBay came around and boxes got a lot more expensive. My point being that everyone talks specifically about what they can recoup from their box and how much return they'll get. Meaning that we've definitely gone over the tipping point in terms of what boxes mean to "collecting."

Everyone's an investor (gambler) and those who buy the fewest number of boxes are making the worst investment for reselling.

Box/case breaking is for the highest end investors and everyone else uses them as a middleman to the cards they actually want or can afford.

Wow! What a luck!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That would honestly probably be the best thing to do if you only broke a couple of boxes. They would be looking at a lot of work to maybe make $1-$2 after fees. I'd rather just keep the card at that point.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
It's interesting how you put that. We're multiple generations of collecting changes in since eBay came around and boxes got a lot more expensive. My point being that everyone talks specifically about what they can recoup from their box and how much return they'll get. Meaning that we've definitely gone over the tipping point in terms of what boxes mean to "collecting."

Everyone's an investor (gambler) and those who buy the fewest number of boxes are making the worst investment for reselling.

Box/case breaking is for the highest end investors and everyone else uses them as a middleman to the cards they actually want or can afford.
Today, people spend $100 on box. They want to see $100+ in return. Back then, people spent $100 on box. They paid $100 for cards regardless the value.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think this is the nicest Elite set from Panini, it exceeds my expectations but still falls into the "leaves more to be desired category". They did a good job with die cut blue, gold, and reds though. They actually look like chase cards and are very nice in person. The rookie auto stickers on acetate look tacky, the ones on card are nice though.
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastar View Post
I think this is the nicest Elite set from Panini, it exceeds my expectations but still falls into the "leaves more to be desired category". They did a good job with die cut blue, gold, and reds though. They actually look like chase cards and are very nice in person. The rookie auto stickers on acetate look tacky, the ones on card are nice though.
On the surface it has a lot of stuff to offer. A lot of different auto subsets and the refractors are a nice addition as well but they don't seem to be selling for much unless you have one of the "big time" players. Unfortunately I feel like with this release they really SP'ed the top rookies compared to other products I have opened. I was averaging at least 2-4 Kyrie Auto's per 4 cases and in this one I only got 1.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuelle21 View Post
On the surface it has a lot of stuff to offer. A lot of different auto subsets and the refractors are a nice addition as well but they don't seem to be selling for much unless you have one of the "big time" players. Unfortunately I feel like with this release they really SP'ed the top rookies compared to other products I have opened. I was averaging at least 2-4 Kyrie Auto's per 4 cases and in this one I only got 1.
I have been watching a few golds to see where they would end up. Kyrie ends tonight and it is about $560 right now.
Kyrie Irving 2012 13 Panini Elite Die Cut Gold Status RARE SP RC 10 24 L K | eBay

Lillard finished at $190 with 2 more up currently
2012 13 12 13 Panini Elite RC 257 Damian Lillard Gold Status Die Cut 10 24 | eBay

The acetate autos don't seem to end very high.

The passing the torch autos are new and different. Are they a case hit?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earvin32 View Post
I have been watching a few golds to see where they would end up. Kyrie ends tonight and it is about $560 right now.
Kyrie Irving 2012 13 Panini Elite Die Cut Gold Status RARE SP RC 10 24 L K | eBay

Lillard finished at $190 with 2 more up currently
2012 13 12 13 Panini Elite RC 257 Damian Lillard Gold Status Die Cut 10 24 | eBay

The acetate autos don't seem to end very high.

The passing the torch autos are new and different. Are they a case hit?
I was able to pull 3 passing the torch autos in the 4 cases I broke with 2 of them being redemptions. Besides the Durant/Gervin one I pulled the two others went for under $100.