Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: NCAA or NBA
NCAA 29 34.12%
NBA 56 65.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'll take college basketball over the NBA any day. It's not all about the money for the players, there's significantly better parity, and the fans actually care and are spirited for the most part.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

College basketball is slow and boring. I don't want to watch guys swing the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds every time down the court.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I'll take college basketball over the NBA any day. It's not all about the money for the players, there's significantly better parity, and the fans actually care and are spirited for the most part.
dont get me wrong i love watching the tourney but unfortunately the talent is so much lower than the nba its hard to watch at times
8lakers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lakers24 View Post
dont get me wrong i love watching the tourney but unfortunately the talent is so much lower than the nba its hard to watch at times
I prefer watching guys with fundamentals play (college basketball) rather than the "I'm going to lower my shoulder and throw up a crazy lay-up and hope to draw a foul" NBA style of play. The lack of fundamentals makes the NBA hard for me to watch.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

This isn't close for me and I guess some people will say that I'm biased, but I will try my best to make a good argument for my choice.

First of all, I don't have to argue how the NBA is the ultimate level filled with the best basketball players, it's (BY FAR) the greatest basketball league on this planet, and when you win a championship you are a real world champion.

The NBA is by far superior in every important aspect.

The NCAA's greatest strength is it's Tournament format....I think most people would agree on that.

However, even this is not as good as the NBA Playoffs.

Some will argue that the NBA Playoffs are too long, has too many teams, and does not offer as much parity seeing as there are only a few REAL contenders.

However, one must consider that the NBA Playoffs are also very fair.

You have to win 4 times in a 7 game series for 4 different rounds.

A one game playoff round is simply not fair in basketball (as exciting as it is though).

The problem why we don't see a team come out of nowhere to win it all is because winning the NBA championship is a grueling 2 month process.

Sure a mediocre team can have a great series against a team they match up well against and "upset" them.....but it's more than likely that they will NOT be able to duplicate it later on.

BTW....for those that think there is absolutely no parity in the NBA consider the following.

From 1980 - 2002 (23 years) the NBA only had 7 different champions.
(Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Rockets, 76ers, Spurs)

However....since 2003 -2012 (The last 10 years), the NBA has already had 6 different champions!
(Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Pistons, Spurs, Mavericks)

And Let's think of the teams that have a legit shot to win that have never won before....Thunder, Clippers, Nuggets, maybe even the Pacers.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Not even a question...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

NBA bores me. I MIGHT watch the NBA Finals. I watch so many college basketball games though. I have watched at least parts of every game, and I have all the games on between TV and computer.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
NBA bores me. I MIGHT watch the NBA Finals. I watch so many college basketball games though. I have watched at least parts of every game, and I have all the games on between TV and computer.
Funny, I am the complete opposite.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
College basketball is slow and boring. I don't want to watch guys swing the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds every time down the court.
... then jack up the first open (short) 3-pointer. You know... fundamentals.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #35 (permalink)

Hey, not everybody's brain is programmed the same way...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #36 (permalink)

College by far

Way more competitive.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
This isn't close for me and I guess some people will say that I'm biased, but I will try my best to make a good argument for my choice.

First of all, I don't have to argue how the NBA is the ultimate level filled with the best basketball players, it's (BY FAR) the greatest basketball league on this planet, and when you win a championship you are a real world champion.

The NBA is by far superior in every important aspect.

The NCAA's greatest strength is it's Tournament format....I think most people would agree on that.

However, even this is not as good as the NBA Playoffs.

Some will argue that the NBA Playoffs are too long, has too many teams, and does not offer as much parity seeing as there are only a few REAL contenders.

However, one must consider that the NBA Playoffs are also very fair.

You have to win 4 times in a 7 game series for 4 different rounds.

A one game playoff round is simply not fair in basketball (as exciting as it is though).

The problem why we don't see a team come out of nowhere to win it all is because winning the NBA championship is a grueling 2 month process.

Sure a mediocre team can have a great series against a team they match up well against and "upset" them.....but it's more than likely that they will NOT be able to duplicate it later on.

BTW....for those that think there is absolutely no parity in the NBA consider the following.

From 1980 - 2002 (23 years) the NBA only had 7 different champions.
(Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Rockets, 76ers, Spurs)

However....since 2003 -2012 (The last 10 years), the NBA has already had 6 different champions!
(Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Pistons, Spurs, Mavericks)

And Let's think of the teams that have a legit shot to win that have never won before....Thunder, Clippers, Nuggets, maybe even the Pacers.
I think the 7 game series format is what hurts the NBA. I know it forces the better team to win, but I think it takes the fun out of it. That's one of the great things about the tournament, the do or die situation. I just really love the suspense of that.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #38 (permalink)

I think it also has to do with where you live.

If you live in Kentucky, North Carolina, or Kansas.....yeah, you probably like College Basketball more!

If you live in NYC, LA, Boston, Chicago, and Miami.....you probably like the NBA more.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #39 (permalink)

I prefer the NCAA, it's more entertaining and more than 3 teams have a real chance every year.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #40 (permalink)

I voted for NBA.

Some of the NBA games are just fantastic level of play. Passing, shooting, dunking, moving without the ball. Not all games are great, but I find the NBA game so much more enjoyable to watch. I prefer non-playoff games, when the crowd is quiet and the players are focused on the team game.

For anyone that saw the Illini beat Colorado in the first round, the 2nd half of that game was the worst half of basketball I ever watched. Worse than many high school games. Ok, maybe it wasn't the worst, some pee-wee games might be worse. Timid players throwing the ball around the perimeter for 35 seconds, coaches calling timeouts every minute and a half to try and get the players some confidence, players standing and watching without the ball, more timeouts for TV commercials, 3 made field goals in the ENTIRE half, more time outs to talk about the missed field goals and what on earth they are going to do about them, more time outs, knowing that we'll probably win not because we are good, but only because the other team sucks worse than us. Sometimes I just can't stand watching NCAA hoops.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcswim87 View Post
I think the 7 game series format is what hurts the NBA. I know it forces the better team to win, but I think it takes the fun out of it. That's one of the great things about the tournament, the do or die situation. I just really love the suspense of that.
I agree.

But like I said in my post....it's more fair to win 4 games than a do or die, winner take all game.

But that's why the NCAA Tournament is so awesome....because it's very exciting, anything can happen.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

Heck, even my kids call it "fake basketball" lol... when are the real games going to start?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #43 (permalink)

I like seeing the best players play so that that would obviously be the NBA.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

not even close, nba by a long shot, college plays sloppy basketball
ivecenanuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #45 (permalink)

NCAA is only fun during the tournament.

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcswim87 View Post
to someone that doesnt have a preference and does not follow basketball, i say youre right. but to me as a basketball fan, watching the best players in the world go through a grueling 7 game series is like no other.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #47 (permalink)

College by a mile. NBA is boring. No defense.
aliceinpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #48 (permalink)

NBA

You know, because I actually want to see the best of the best.

The competitive atmosphere is fun to watch in college, sure. But it pains me to see players who are crappy shooters, poor-form defenders and low-BKBIQ guys dominate due to the lack of skill in relation to other teams.

The "parity" in college is more a consequence of the tournament's format than actual skill across the board, in my opinion.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #49 (permalink)

For me it depends on what I am looking for at the time. As far as going to games the NBA because I can get my basketball cards signed IP at the games. Most college basketball players do not have their own trading cards. As far as playoffs the IMO NCAA tournament is the most exciting playoff tournament to watch of all the major sports. I also like watching the prospects getting a chance to play before they go pro.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote