Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good Article in the L.A Times yesterday about the 33 game win streak

There was a good article in the L.A Times yesterday talking about the Lakers 33 game win streak and the current Heat win streak. Some good points made I thought. Just looking for other members opinions on it? Don't waste anyones time if your going to just bash the Lakers and start a bunch of B.S
kobemagee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

IMO both streaks had their impressive spots. The Heat had a better overall team with a deeper bench. Wilt was only a year or two removed from the broken leg as well, which back then was a career ending injury for most players. The Lakers however had to deal with a stacked Knicks team, and a Robertson/Dandridge/Alcindor Bucks.

Tougher Schedule: Lakers
Better Team: Heat
Chemistry: Even
Quigley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley24 View Post
IMO both streaks had their impressive spots. The Heat had a better overall team with a deeper bench. Wilt was only a year or two removed from the broken leg as well, which back then was a career ending injury for most players. The Lakers however had to deal with a stacked Knicks team, and a Robertson/Dandridge/Alcindor Bucks.

yeah, the heat havent faced any stacked/good teams......
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
Did I mention any good teams? No, I just mentioned the two great ones. On the Heat streak they have won @OKC as their only win against a team of that caliber.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Did I mention any good teams? No, I just mentioned the two great ones. On the Heat streak they have won @OKC as their only win against a team of that caliber.
the heat have beat the lakers and clippers on a back to back, okc away, memphis, knicks away, pacers, and boston away. those are playoff teams, some stacked and very good. it looked like you were being unfair in your post naming a couple of teams the lakers played and not saying anything about the heat. and alot would argue that the talent level in todays game is alot deeper then it was when the lakers had their streak.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

To me, if and when the Heat get to 34.. they will have the better streak. Until then, Lakers streak is better. End of story. Everyone have a tough schedule , back to back etc.

Collecting Bulls Players 3 Color GU Patch Cards.
thecomebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
the heat have beat the lakers and clippers on a back to back, okc away, memphis, knicks away, pacers, and boston away. those are playoff teams, some stacked and very good. it looked like you were being unfair in your post naming a couple of teams the lakers played and not saying anything about the heat. and alot would argue that the talent level in todays game is alot deeper then it was when the lakers had their streak.
Boston without Rondo should have been a blowout. Memphis is strong, but not spectacular. The Clippers were a good win. The Lakers are an 8 seed and awful on the road! Knicks and Pacers were solid wins. I have never heard that depth argument. In fact I've heard the opposite, especially during the lockout everyone was saying the league would do better both competitively and financially if they folded a few teams.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomebacker View Post
To me, if and when the Heat get to 34.. they will have the better streak. Until then, Lakers streak is better. End of story. Everyone have a tough schedule , back to back etc.
Agree with this.

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Boston without Rondo should have been a blowout. Memphis is strong, but not spectacular. The Clippers were a good win. The Lakers are an 8 seed and awful on the road! Knicks and Pacers were solid wins. I have never heard that depth argument. In fact I've heard the opposite, especially during the lockout everyone was saying the league would do better both competitively and financially if they folded a few teams.
wow, so you honestly believe that the league today doesnt have more depth overall then 41 years ago? that should be an easy yes due to the influx of the best players in the world playing in the nba and due to modern medicine and conditioning. lakers are an 8 seed but still have a "stacked" team. memphis has been one of the most underated teams the past few years. the win was after the rudy gay trade and they are a better team afterwards.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
i fully agree too, 33 is better then 25.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Can you post the article here somehow? Would like to read it
mickey7mantle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

Better team, disagree, I would say Lakers
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm guessing by the post that no one who replied has read the article..
I'd post the article but i'm not that smart and don't know how.
But goggle it and read it then post a reply..
Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobemagee29 View Post
I'm guessing by the post that no one who replied has read the article..
I'd post the article but i'm not that smart and don't know how.
But goggle it and read it then post a reply..

How do you Google it?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Was kidding...lol

Is it this one?

Lakers feel the Heat as Miami threatens LA's record 33-game streak - latimes.com
Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey7mantle7 View Post
YES.............
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

LA also had a NBA which had recently expanded (diluting talent) and the ABA which also took away quality NBA talent. Another factor that should be mentioned are also how travel is much easier now

Wow! What a luck!
EvanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I LOVE this post, very true!
Dwade Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
How many times do the Heat play an easter conf team? WHat is the average record of an eastern conf team? Can you sit there and genuinely tell me that the east is stacked with great teams?

Having said that, read the article. Look at what stands out..

Quote:
Logistics couldn't bother them in a season when they didn't seem to grasp the meaning of Ls.

The team that would win 33 consecutive games, still the longest streak for a major U.S. professional team, often arrived in a city on a midday flight and played a game that evening, a no-no in today's NBA.

"Some of our travel was maybe more difficult than the games we played," recalled Jerry West, the legendary guard on a team that also included three other Hall of Famers in Wilt Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich and, briefly, Elgin Baylor.

The Lakers also endured four sets of back-to-back-to-back games and three additional back-to-backs during a streak that lasted more than two months during the 1971-72 season. Current league rules allow only back-to-back games in seasons not shortened by lockouts.

Last edited by Orangejello727; 03-25-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
How many times do the Heat play an easter conf team? WHat is the average record of an eastern conf team? Can you sit there and genuinely tell me that the east is stacked with great teams?

Having said that, read the article. Look at what stands out..
Finally, someone who actually read it.
There are some good points made about the lakers streak that I never thought about til reading it.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

honestly anyone that is hating on either streak is ridiculous.

the heat are flirting with a streak that was seen as one of those 'impossible to break' streaks in sports. the fact that they are even in the same ball park is amazing and great for the nba.

people trying down credit and say 'oh the lakers is better even if the heat break it' are seriously just haters and i question if they are even fans of the game of basketball.

sit back and watch history and something exciting in the sport.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
honestly anyone that is hating on either streak is ridiculous.

the heat are flirting with a streak that was seen as one of those 'impossible to break' streaks in sports. the fact that they are even in the same ball park is amazing and great for the nba.

people trying down credit and say 'oh the lakers is better even if the heat break it' are seriously just haters and i question if they are even fans of the game of basketball.

sit back and watch history and something exciting in the sport.
Hey murrkee007, when did you get back from vacation?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree, but I also want to state, it is biased for an LA beat writer to be taken seriously when writing an article like this. Obviously, Bolch is an LA fan, living in LA, and writing for the LA Times. He wants the 71-72 Lakers to keep the record, he only reports the facts against the Heat and modern day basketball. Any journalist knows that you must report both sides of the topic (and yes I agree the Eastern Conference is weaker in comparison), but we can all argue (for or against the modern NBA player being better then someone 41 years ago). If the Lakers were the team about to beat this record, Bolch would be singing a different tone!!! Tomorrow we will see a writer from Miami refute everything Bolch says, why, because they want to be on the other side of history.
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

That article would come out of LA times lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

oj, i understand your quote of the aricle, but all the teams were having to that then. you could look at it 2 ways, it was harder for the lakers to have that streak due to them playing so much and being tired, or you can say it may have been easier because the lakers were so stacked and there was no way the other teams were going to be able to keep up with them because they dont have the energy. thats all the quote says to me. i havent posted anything to try and knock the lakers streak, i just pointed out something i thought sounded unfair in a post.